The Marvelous Designer Thread

1101112131416»

Comments

• GordigGordig Posts: 9,108
    edited February 2022

barbult said:

Gordig said:

I haven't opened MD in a little while, but I think all you have to do to retopoligize is check the "retopologize" button. This will make it look more like the kind of mesh you'll typically see on a clothing item in the Daz store. Retopologizing in MD is dependent on the orientation of the different components in the 2D viewer.

Retopologize in MD is not a "push the button and you're done" kind of thing. Also, if you retopologize in MD, you lose all your seam welds and your exported dress will fall apart, unless you weld in another application. 

I suggest you try subdivision in Daz Studio (on your quadragnulated MD mesh). That will help quite a bit. Also look at the Geometry Editor command to rotate triangulation of selected polygons. Daz has produced a video tutorial about it.

Maybe it's just a matter of which version we're using, but it is in 9.5.

Before:

After:

remeshbefore.png
    1919 x 513 - 313K
    remeshafter.png
    1917 x 564 - 346K
    Post edited by Gordig on
  • JoJoSJoJoS Posts: 50

Gordig said:

I haven't opened MD in a little while, but I think all you have to do to retopoligize is check the "retopologize" button. This will make it look more like the kind of mesh you'll typically see on a clothing item in the Daz store. Retopologizing in MD is dependent on the orientation of the different components in the 2D viewer.

I didn't even know that was an option! Thank you, now my problem is this: every time the characters hand touch the dress (hands on hips pose) the mesh explodes. It doesn't do this when I buy a dress and do the same thing, so what am I doing wrong?

• JoJoSJoJoS Posts: 50

Gordig said:

barbult said:

Gordig said:

Retopologize in MD is not a "push the button and you're done" kind of thing. Also, if you retopologize in MD, you lose all your seam welds and your exported dress will fall apart, unless you weld in another application. 

I suggest you try subdivision in Daz Studio (on your quadragnulated MD mesh). That will help quite a bit. Also look at the Geometry Editor command to rotate triangulation of selected polygons. Daz has produced a video tutorial about it.

Before:

After:

I'm using version 10 and I just had to right click in the 3d window and the option was there for me...infact I had two remeshing options lmao

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,118

Gordig said:

barbult said:

Gordig said:

Before:

After:

Looks great! How did you get between the "before" and "after"? You evidently know something I don't know. (Which is probably a lot!) Were you able to export your garment as OBJ and keep the retopologized seams welded?

Look in the very bottom right of my screenshots. There's a little "Remesh" checkbox when you have mesh selected.

edited February 2022

Oh, I think what your are talking about is "Remeshing". In version 10 (I think) and 11, "Retopology" is a whole separate menu of commands. Retopology is a much more interactive process of drawing your own mesh, more or less. I think it is designed to make low resolution mesh for games, etc.

Post edited by barbult on

I didn't see your comment before I posted. Yes, that is Remesh. Thanks for the clarification.

That particular mesh will never simulate, due to the buttons and overlapping fabric I put on the seams. That was just something I threw together when I was learning MD.

The issue I've had in the past with remesh is that it still puts all those little triangles at the seams. I'd like a nice clean quad mesh, which retopology can do, but losing the welds is a deal killer for me, because I don't know how to weld it back together. Maybe I'll try remesh again.

edited February 2022

Here's a remeshed item exported from MD, and it simulates just fine, which I believe indicates that the welds are preserved, but it's possible I don't fully understand what that means.

remeshed.PNG
    492 x 674 - 140K
    Post edited by Gordig on

Yes, remesh preserves the seam welds. Retopology does not.

In the past, when I tried remesh, dForce didn't like those triangles at the seams very much. Maybe dForce has become more tolerant. It has been a long time since I tried remesh.

• lilweeplilweep Posts: 2,233

imagine having Marvelous Designer and then simulating in Daz studio. smh

• lilweep said:

I thought that was strange, too, but I just assumed I misunderstood something about the workflow.

• TheMysteryIsThePoint said:

lilweep said:

I thought that was strange, too, but I just assumed I misunderstood something about the workflow.

Scene set-up may well be easier over all in Daz Studio.

Is it just me, or is MD's Alembic export garbage? So far, my only recourse has been to export the entire outfit as an OBJ to get the polygon selections, then export the animated outfit as an Alembic, then import both into C4D, copy the polygon selections from the OBJ to the Alembic in order to texture it. There also doesn't appear to be a sensible way to export individual components. I know it's not a problem with how C4D reads Alembic files, because I can export Alembic out of DS using Sagan and get every item separated out with its polygon selections.

• NelmiNelmi Posts: 38

I have seen some posts here about the retopology in MD and the welds falling apart. I found a solution for that. It is extra work but you have to do the sewing again. The sewing line is basically the weld in MD. After I have done that, it worked perfect. Also keep in mind that the retopology step should be the final thing that you do in MD. You cannot go back and create a seam for example. You can however change the fabric and physical property presets. I hope the information helps.

• KlaudMKlaudM Posts: 68
    edited January 2023

How can I fix the hole created using the zipper?

The zipper edges are perfectly aligned to the internal rectangle I made.
    The additional point you see in he 2d pattern is because I tried to "hide" the hole moving it to the top, without that point the result is the same.
    I also tried to split the bottom line in 2 points then sew them but this deforms the bottom part of the zipper creating an awful triangle.

Immagine 2023-01-21 131925.png
    2009 x 1268 - 460K
    Post edited by KlaudM on

if you ask on the marvelous designer discord you will probably get a faster response.

I just discovered they added the possibility to sew the zipper edges, fixed )

edited January 2023

Anyone knows how to import the same version of a clothing with the zipper opened as morph in Daz?
    I used MD many times to better simulate clothes then I always imported the OBJ using loader pro and then saved it as morph, never had problems, but now when I try to load the OBJ with the zipper open it says the geometry didn't match :(

Post edited by KlaudM on
  • felisfelis Posts: 3,646

Is the zipper when closed in MD actually presented bu individual verteces as you have when open?

edited January 2023

felis said:

Is the zipper when closed in MD actually presented bu individual verteces as you have when open?

I just checked, not....5.923 v 5.925
    2 more vertices for the zipper open indecision

Post edited by KlaudM on

Maybe instead of exporting the closed morph at zipper 100% closed, maybe export it at 99% closed and that might still have the same vert as when 0% Closed.

I supposed an alternative is to just imitate a zipper by doing 2 strips of fabric sewn together instead of the two sides of the zipper, and then apply a zipper texture (or true 3D zipper model) to them after export. 

• MD to DS is killing me :)

I'm creating a clothing in MD and import as OBJ.

For each pose, I create a new MD project to adjust clothes to the pose, export again, import into DS as morph on my clothing.

No change on the geometry (particle distance, etc.).

But yet, I get (but not always) differences in the vertex counts and DS refuses to use the OBJ as morph.

Is that a "normal" problem?

I'd be ok to not use morphs but to import each OBJ for each pose separately.

However, MD appends unique numbers to the surface groups upon each export, which makes it impossible to use material presets.

So basically, you then have to copy paste each material from each surface to the newly imported OBJ's surfaces, which can be time consuming...

Thanks for help!