Decorative Norwegian Glass Props

richardandtracyrichardandtracy Posts: 4,980
edited February 2022 in Freebies

Please find a little pair of freebies attached. The two glasses are decorative glasses based on the shape of a glass my wife and I bought on holiday in Bergen in Norway during the early 1990's. We particularly love the coloured glass spirals within the stem of the glass and the fluting curve of the bowl in the glass on the right of the image.  The shape is reminiscent of English 18th century bumpers, but I don't know if the glass blower took any inspiration from anywhere other than their imagination.

Anyway, I hope you like them. 

Please be aware that the glasses are almost totally invisible in Filament and not very visible in the texture shaded preview mode.

Regards,

Richard

Post edited by richardandtracy on

Comments

• perlkperlk Posts: 840

They're beautiful! Thank you so much!

• Absolutly great. Wish my stuff turned out this nice. Congrats and thanks.

• Oh thank you, I like the colourful spirals, yes :-)

• BronzeDragon said:

Absolutly great. Wish my stuff turned out this nice. Congrats and thanks.

Waddyamean? Your stuff looks amazing over at Rendo, I'm particularly in awe of the person who created the 'General Free Things' set (maybe not as an inventor of names, but the modelling & materials are amazing) and 'Bowl Set'. The latest mirror set of yours is spot on, just that the Art Deco period isn't my thing, otherwise I'd be using them on a regular basis.

There isn't anything really special about the glasses, they are a simple revolved shape, with different materials applied to the stem, bowl & base. The only 'fancy' bit is the spiral surface created for the stem decoration. With that I modelled a single spiral in SolidWorks, converted to obj. In my modeller I applied a materal name, then saved that, rotated the obj 180 degrees about the Y axis, changed the material name and then merged the 3 obj files. Having done that, it was merely a matter of applying shaders. The ones I used were varients of my bottle shaders added to the broken bottle sets.

Regards,

Richard.

• Sky77Sky77 Posts: 820

These look amazing!  Thank you!

• Thanks Richard, appreciate the comments, but must disagree, yours are much better. As for the materials, I just used those that DAZ supplies, so that anyone can use them, no need to look for, or install, other shaders, but would be free to use whatever they like. My modelling comes from an engineering backgroud. Started with pen and ink board drafting in the mid '70's then switched to CAD (Cambridge Interactive Systems - Medusa Software) in the early '80's and then 3d modelling (Parametric Technology Corp - Pro/E) and making drawings from the models since the mid '90's. Finally got fed up and retired in '13. Can't do the fancy cloth stuff for clothing, would like to learn but at my age, don't think I have enough time left. Anyway, again, thanks.

• Honestly, the 'shaders' I use are nothing more than settings for the DAZ Uber shader. I have simply modified the standard green glass shader, increased the glossiness, IOR, changed the transmissibility, colour and a few other bits and remembered to stop when it looked OK. I did remember the saying 'Keep fixing it until it breaks' and stop before then. I have never been on a drawing board, instead was in the stress office until I got to do 3Dcad/draughting and programme management on top of the stress work as the technical department shrank. Now, when things go wrong, it can't NOT be my fault...
  • BronzeDragonBronzeDragon Posts: 381
    edited February 2022

I know the feeling, that's why I told them to p*** off and retired. My Dad's theory on making something work was to hit it with a hammer. If that didn't work use a bigger hammer, and keep doing that until it did. Not good for all situations, but worked well in the underground mining equipment industry. At least with the physical equipment, not so good with the computers.

Thanks by the way. I'll try tweaking the DAZ shaders to get a better fit.

I take it, by the use of several word spellings that you used that you just might be British. Worked for a British company, here in the Staes, for 15 years and a couple of months. That was where I did the board work and early CAD stuff. They even let me spend a month over there, in the West Midlands, while I was training on the software. That was great, very nice people and it let me see where some of my ancestors came from.

Anyway, thanks, and have a nice one!

Post edited by BronzeDragon on
  • I fear I'm guilty as charged. British, specifically English, living in Kent these days, having grown up in the South West of England. Mining, closest I have come to it is my paternal great-grandparents. He was a gold miner, eventually becoming the mine captain of the Crown Mine in Johannesburg (the shaft he opened up is currently open to tourists), and she was a Bal Maiden. She used a sledgehammer to break copper ore small enough to go into the stamp mill until she got married. We have a photo of 3 women (she's one, just don't know which) holding their sledges to one side and the handle is as tall as they are. All three are wearing white blouses, hats tied down with a scarf under the chin, ankle length dark coloured bell skirts and hobnail boots. Wouldn't mess with any of them, even though they were all the same height at only about 4'10" tall. Date 1890 ish.
  • WandWWandW Posts: 2,771

Lovely!!  Makes me crave some Gløgg.smiley

Thank you for sharing!