Free! Genesis 8 Male Casual Clothing (re-mapped jeans update)

perlkperlk Posts: 846
edited February 2022 in Freebies

Compared with his female counterpart, Genesis 8 Male as very few freebie clothing packages out there! So continuing in my modeling practice, I made some dforce clothes using Hexagon. Contains 2 shirts (one long sleeve v-neck sweater, one short sleeve polo), 2 pairs of jeans (one normal buttoned up, one with an open fly so if you want to dforce his pants falling down, you can), a couple deformers for the legs so they sit a bit nicer over shoes, a pair of shoes with optional laces (not dforce).

Some caveats:

• They're pretty low poly, which means they may tear a bit in dforce. But that's perfect if G8M gets attacked by a zombie.
  • I only created a texture for the sweater and the pants. The polo I just used a silky standard shader from default Daz Uber shaders.
  • I'm still having a hard time with UV maps tearing at the edges. (Looking for a good UV mapper tutorial for Hexagon if anyone knows of one.) This means jean seams don't match up, and it makes texturing the shoes a complete nightmare.
  • You'll need to create your own dforce modifier weight nodes if you don't want the open fly pants falling completely off.
  • I doubt this will work in Poser, but Poser is currently broken for me so I couldn't test it.

I learned a lot in modeling this outfit, about Hexagon, DS and texturing. I learned how challenging it is to take good pictures of my husband's jeans - good enough for texturing, that is. I also learned what a pain it is to save deformers as a morph so they are separate from the actual models.

Good luck!

https://www.deviantart.com/perlk/art/Casual-clothing-for-Genesis-8-Males-886384407

Post edited by perlk on

Comments

• StarkdogStarkdog Posts: 161

Wow Perlk,

This looks great!  I too use Hexagon; however, after much UV frustration, I now make the lower-poly mesh in Hexagon to where it looks great at level 2 subdivision, but save as OBJ at base resolution, then import into Blender for any additional tweaks, modifiers, etc.  I then subdivide as needed, add a solidify modifier, tweak a few things, and then UV map with Blender's awesome UV tools.  It's still a little drawn out process, but I'm getting much better results.

-David

• perlkperlk Posts: 846

Starkdog said:

Wow Perlk,

This looks great!  I too use Hexagon; however, after much UV frustration, I now make the lower-poly mesh in Hexagon to where it looks great at level 2 subdivision, but save as OBJ at base resolution, then import into Blender for any additional tweaks, modifiers, etc.  I then subdivide as needed, add a solidify modifier, tweak a few things, and then UV map with Blender's awesome UV tools.  It's still a little drawn out process, but I'm getting much better results.

-David

Thanks for the tip! What I have been doing is similar, except using UVMapper to export the OBJ once I recreate the map. Except the seams are really, really ugly still, almost as bad as with Hexagon. I'll try using Blender for my next one!

• richardandtracyrichardandtracy Posts: 5,049

That looks good. Males are rarely included in my images, and if they are, they're usually behaving like bozo's ( https://www.renderosity.com/rr/mod/gallery/?image_id=3015016 ), as a result I'm not overly keen on spending on them. This will justabout double the male wardrobe I have.

Thanks,

Richard

richardandtracy said:

That looks good. Males are rarely included in my images, and if they are, they're usually behaving like bozo's ( https://www.renderosity.com/rr/mod/gallery/?image_id=3015016 ), as a result I'm not overly keen on spending on them. This will justabout double the male wardrobe I have.

Thanks,

Richard

That image is a riot!

• richardandtracyrichardandtracy Posts: 5,049
    Cheers, Regards, Richard.
  • Sky77Sky77 Posts: 820

Wow! Thanks for the outfit!  3 freebies in 1 month (more or less) - pretty impressive! laugh

perlk said:

richardandtracy said:

Thanks,

Richard

That image is a riot!

Agreed!  Fantastic render.   Laughing about your "double the male wardrobe" comment... so true.   But then again, shirt and jeans is pretty much my entire wardrobe anyway!  laugh 

Sky77 said:

Wow! Thanks for the outfit!  3 freebies in 1 month (more or less) - pretty impressive! laugh

See what you can accomplish when you stop playing video games? laugh

edited July 2021

perlk said:

Sky77 said:

See what you can accomplish when you stop playing video games? laugh

LOL!  So true!  I was rather hooked on them myself for years until I realized how much time I was burning and for what.  Then I got myself hooked on DAZ Studio.  Now I have time for neither!  laugh 

One of these days I am going to slug through all the Blender tutorials and Figure rigging tutorials I have found and try to do something about it... may not happen until I retire!  LOL!  I wonder if DAZ or Blender will still be around then!  Oye!

Post edited by Sky77 on
  • akmerlowakmerlow Posts: 1,124

Nice, thank you.

I appreciate more optimized content as my pc is a bit old :)

Someone on Renderosity said they had a challenge fitting this to G8M... anyone has any issues with that please let me know!

• jjmainorjjmainor Posts: 473

Starkdog said:

Wow Perlk,

-David

I model with Hexagon too, but I'll take everything to Blender for the UV maps because it is so much easier to UV map in Blender than in Hexagon.

And since OP is using Hexagon, if you want to create a morph for the pants instead of messing with the Dformers, load a figure with shoes and put the pants on him.  Then send all three to Hexagon.  Make the adjustments to the pants so the cuffs fit over the shoes.  Then send the pants back to DS.  You'll get the pop up asking if you want to import it as a morph.  Click yes or ok or whatever the button says that goes ahead and does it.  That should create the morph on the original pair of pants instead of importing a second pair of pants.

Thank you, this is helpful stuff!

edited February 2022

I have finally remapped the jeans I modeled and also cleaned up some of the messy polygons to improve the dforce and reduce tearing.

https://www.renderosity.com/freestuff/items/90916/uv-remapped-dforce-g8m-jeans

https://www.deviantart.com/perlk/art/UV-re-mapped-dForce-Jeans-for-Genesis-8-Males-906213733

jeans-promo.png
    1200 x 960 - 2M
    Post edited by perlk on