V4 Skins Batch Converter to Genesis 2 Female.....

Comments

• UHFUHF Posts: 512
    edited December 1969

What does this mean?
    "*** Scene Cleared ***
    Error reading file, see log for more details.
    WARNING: Script Error: Line 842
    WARNING: TypeError: Result of expression 'oNode' [null] is not an object.
    WARNING: Stack Trace:
    ()@:842
    Error in script execution: E:/Daz 3D/My Library/Scripts/Batch Convert V4 to Genesis 2.dse
    "

• DraagonStormDraagonStorm Posts: 748
    edited December 1969

UHF said:
    Now I get an error. And it says to check the log. What log? Where is it?

In the link to the User's Guide?

Or the Script?

If the script, the logs are your DS logs. From the menu... Help -> Troubleshooting -> View Log File...

edited December 1969

I keep getting this error now. I can't even convert the base V4 mats.

"E:\Daz 3D\My Library\Runtime\libraries\Pose\DAZ Victoria 4\Materials\MATerials Sample-Res"

I seem to get something resembling the first file, and that's it.

How can you tell what its doing?

• SuperdogSuperdog Posts: 765
    edited December 1969

I'm really loving this product. Lot's of great M4/V4 skins that I can now use with Genesis 2. I really want to convert the morphs that go with the skins. Do I need to use GenX 2?

edited December 2014

UHF said:

"E:\Daz 3D\My Library\Runtime\libraries\Pose\DAZ Victoria 4\Materials\MATerials Sample-Res"

I will need more information then that... Step by Step what you are selecting and doing. Screen Shots...

Since your saying that DS is popping up an error to check the logs.. Then the logs from when you starting the script...

Here is an example...

I open up the Batch Convert V4 to Genesis 2.dse from my Content Library in DS4.7

I click on the button just below "Path for Converted Files (Use this to select where the Converted Files will be written to. This will be the base path when you select a folder for conversion).. And then navigate to I:\DAZ\Studio\My Library\People\Genesis 2 Female\Materials\V4 Converted in the window.. (Note: I had already created a folder named "V4 Converted" in the Materials folder)

Then I clicked on the button labeled "Select Folder and It's Subfolders To Convert" and then navigated to "I:\DS3DAZ\Studio\content\Runtime\libraries\Character\People\Gen4\V4\! V4\DAZ Settings\Dark Apocalypse\Vermillion Dawn" This is a product that I have purchased... I my case I moved the material settings from the "Pose" library to a different location after purchase and install.

Attached is a screen shot before pressing the "Convert the files" button.

As for the log file... Look for this line as a starting point...

Loading script: I:/ConvertGen4toG2Work/ConvertGen4toG2Work/People/Genesis 2 Female/Scripts/V4 Skins Batch Converter/Batch Convert V4 to Genesis 2.dse

If you got an error... I would be interested in what comes after that.

Capture.JPG
    803 x 626 - 101K
    Post edited by DraagonStorm on
    edited December 1969

Superdog said:
    I'm really loving this product. Lot's of great M4/V4 skins that I can now use with Genesis 2. I really want to convert the morphs that go with the skins. Do I need to use GenX 2?

Yes, you need the GenX 2 to convert the Morphs

• IppotamusIppotamus Posts: 1,578
    edited December 1969

Ippotamus said:
    I must apologize, I am not very good at the technical/file side of thing which is why I can not get this to work. After an hour I am exasperated and no closer to getting this to work. 100% my fault to be sure. So I will try to give an example and hopefully someone can help me through it.

Most of my V4 characters are saved in this folder:
    C:/Users/Ippotamus/Documents/DAZ 3D Character

So my first question is, do I point to that folder or do I point to one of the folders inside (content, people, runtime, etc)? Or do I point to one of the folders inside one of those folders? I tried the texture folder inside the runtime, that didn't work at all.

Also, using the same example above, where should I save the converted materials once I actually get that far? Would it make sense to save it in the same file they came from? Could I save them to a desktop folder and move them around later?

I hope someone can give me a hand. :)
    I am utterly handless.

Point it at a subfolder that contains a V4 UV set, not the base folder, at least if you have a bunch of them. I find the more folders you give it in one sitting, the longer it takes to actually start, and it does gobble up memory. I don't think it was ever intended to do all of your UV sets at once. I've thrown as many as 20 characters at it at one time, it took half the night to start (it just sits there saying "busy" for hours, and it is using 55 gigs of RAM (I have 72 gig on the mahcine). I'd strongly suggest to do one character at a time on a normal machine. It will get any sub-folders for that character automatically.

To be exact, you want to start with a character folder under runtime/libraries/character, you don't want to point it at the root of My Library.

Unless you like waiting forever.

Thanks so much.
    I could convert a character. :)

• jakibluejakiblue Posts: 7,281
    edited December 1969

Draagonstorm, the second line there, the "filename of converted file(s) ...(do not include the file tyupe of duf"....what is that used for? I'm just skipping it and leaving it blank and it doens't seem to affect any of the mats I am converting. I am just curious what it is supposed to be used for.

edited December 2014

jakiblue said:
    Draagonstorm, the second line there, the "filename of converted file(s) ...(do not include the file tyupe of duf"....what is that used for? I'm just skipping it and leaving it blank and it doens't seem to affect any of the mats I am converting. I am just curious what it is supposed to be used for.

Normally you would just skip that... That is used if you want to edit/change the information in the Converted Material Files list. By default it uses the same name as the file your converting.. But I'm letting you change that if you want to.

Post edited by DraagonStorm on
    edited December 1969

UHF said:

I will need more information then that... Step by Step what you are selecting and doing. Screen Shots...

Since your saying that DS is popping up an error to check the logs.. Then the logs from when you starting the script...

Here is an example...

I open up the Batch Convert V4 to Genesis 2.dse from my Content Library in DS4.7

I click on the button just below "Path for Converted Files (Use this to select where the Converted Files will be written to. This will be the base path when you select a folder for conversion).. And then navigate to I:\DAZ\Studio\My Library\People\Genesis 2 Female\Materials\V4 Converted in the window.. (Note: I had already created a folder named "V4 Converted" in the Materials folder)

Then I clicked on the button labeled "Select Folder and It's Subfolders To Convert" and then navigated to "I:\DS3DAZ\Studio\content\Runtime\libraries\Character\People\Gen4\V4\! V4\DAZ Settings\Dark Apocalypse\Vermillion Dawn" This is a product that I have purchased... I my case I moved the material settings from the "Pose" library to a different location after purchase and install.

Loading script: I:/ConvertGen4toG2Work/ConvertGen4toG2Work/People/Genesis 2 Female/Scripts/V4 Skins Batch Converter/Batch Convert V4 to Genesis 2.dse

Same... I'm just converting the textures that came with Victoria 4.

Here's the error;
    "Loading script: E:/Daz 3D/My Library/Scripts/Batch Convert V4 to Genesis 2.dse
    *** Scene Cleared ***
    Error in script execution: E:/Daz 3D/My Library/Scripts/Batch Convert V4 to Genesis 2.dse"

2.jpg
    1429 x 628 - 215K
    edited December 1969

UHF said:
    UHF said:

Here is an example...

Same... I'm just converting the textures that came with Victoria 4.

Here's the error;
    "Loading script: E:/Daz 3D/My Library/Scripts/Batch Convert V4 to Genesis 2.dse
    *** Scene Cleared ***
    Error in script execution: E:/Daz 3D/My Library/Scripts/Batch Convert V4 to Genesis 2.dse"

The error at line 842 does not make sense to me, because I am not doing any thing dealing with Nodes at that line in my script, or the resources files that are being called for the conversion.

Did you use DIM to load this product, or did you do it by hand?

I ask because this line does not look right..

E:/Daz 3D/My Library/Scripts/Batch Convert V4 to Genesis 2.dse
    It should be:
    E:/Daz 3D/My Library/Scripts/Victoria 4 Skins Batch Converter/Batch Convert V4 to Genesis 2.dse

Can you show me a screen shot from your Content Library like I have below?

Victoria4Skins02.JPG
    501 x 443 - 50K
    Victoria4Skins01.JPG
    502 x 383 - 46K
    edited December 1969

That was it... I moved it down one directory to reduce the amount of clicking I needed to reach the script. And Yes everything is installed by hand.

edited December 1969

UHF said:
    That was it... I moved it down one directory to reduce the amount of clicking I needed to reach the script. And Yes everything is installed by hand.

Well, for the script to run properly that folder Resources with what's in it, needs be a subfolder of whatever folder you have the script in.

edited December 1969

So my next problem... I'm working the the M4 script, and struggling to get skins to work.

When I load a Genesis 2 model it already has a shader that doesn't always play nice with the M4 shaders. Do I need to blow away the shaders that are loaded? My Genesis 2 models all load with shaders by default.

edited December 1969

UHF said:
    So my next problem... I'm working the the M4 script, and struggling to get skins to work.

When I load a Genesis 2 model it already has a shader that doesn't always play nice with the M4 shaders. Do I need to blow away the shaders that are loaded? My Genesis 2 models all load with shaders by default.

If I'm understanding what you saying... When you apply the .duf file that the script created for you, it replaces all the shaders, textures and settings that was saved to that .duf file.

edited December 1969

I don't think so. I need to load a Genesis 2 figure first to apply a texture to. I load M6, then apply an M4 texture. But it seems to be using the M6 shader. When I look in the shader it's using an M6 Normal Map.

edited December 1969

UHF said:
    I don't think so. I need to load a Genesis 2 figure first to apply a texture to. I load M6, then apply an M4 texture. But it seems to be using the M6 shader. When I look in the shader it's using an M6 Normal Map.

Before you get things more confused... A shader is just a shader... There is no M4 shader or M6 shader or V4 shader.

My guess is that the Normal Map in your original Material Preset was not used, so when you load a Genesis 2, and the default Material Preset has a texture assigned to the Normal Map it is not getting replaced.

• BeeMKayBeeMKay Posts: 6,982
    edited December 1969

Thank you for this great batch tool! :D
    Here's the first complete skin I converted, Jericho for M4, used on Oliver HD and Lee6, rendered in LuxRender via Luxus.

d690.jpg
    1600 x 1600 - 380K
    edited December 1969

I just checked... and loaded the original M4 skin onto M4... shader appears the same...

But since the normal map isn't populated by the M4 skin, it seems to be left in when I load the M4 skin onto M6.

edited December 2014

Okay, now I do have a problem.
    I was trying to convert a larger set (Agnes), and DAZ Studio being what it is, knocked me out of memory because irt doesn't clear out the memory properly after closing a scene. When you try to convert a certain amount of skins, then this is a problem.

Okay, so I went in, restarted the program and the batch, and tried to delete the already converted files from the list. It turns out that neither shift not ctrl will allow you to select multiple files for deletion from the conversion list. Which kind of sucks, because now I have to manually kick out every file, or manually adapt for each subfolder of the Agnes skin. :-(

What did I miss?

Post edited by BeeMKay on
  • IppotamusIppotamus Posts: 1,578
    edited December 2014

lee_lhs said:
    Okay, now I do have a problem.
    I was trying to convert a larger set (Agnes), and DAZ Studio being what it is, knocked me out of memory because irt doesn't clear out the memory properly after closing a scene. When you try to convert a certain amount of skins, then this is a problem.

Okay, so I went in, restarted the program and the batch, and tried to delete the already converted files from the list. It turns out that neither shift not ctrl will allow you to select multiple files for deletion from the conversion list. Which kind of sucks, because now I have to manually kick out every file, or manually adapt for each subfolder of the Agnes skin. :-(

What did I miss?

I have the same problem with my Surreality characters.
    Just too big for this process to work.
    Had to go back manually and delete each thing that had been done before it locked up and crashed.
    It was very time consuming in the end as it locked up a second time. Rinse and repeat. :(
    If there is a secret to converting larger sets. I would love to hear it also.
    :)

Post edited by Ippotamus on
    edited December 1969

I ran into a different problem:
    Whenever I run the batch, the render settings get change to format 10:13, size 500x500 and shading rate 0.010, no matter what my settings were before.
    Does anyone have the same problem?

• WakakanadaWakakanada Posts: 207
    edited December 1969

Okay, I know I shouldn't have tried to figure out Reality 4, GenX2 and this program on the same day! But...
    I read this email chain and saw the reference to "Studio Batch Converter" and did that [thinking it was this product], but then wondered why the interface was different from the manual. So, now that I know how to find this product in the content library, I was wondering: where did the "Studio Batch Converter" in the Tabs menu come from, and do I ever need to use it [and if so, where in the workflow]. Thanks.

edited December 1969

Ebajoy said:
    Okay, I know I shouldn't have tried to figure out Reality 4, GenX2 and this program on the same day! But...
    I read this email chain and saw the reference to "Studio Batch Converter" and did that [thinking it was this product], but then wondered why the interface was different from the manual. So, now that I know how to find this product in the content library, I was wondering: where did the "Studio Batch Converter" in the Tabs menu come from, and do I ever need to use it [and if so, where in the workflow]. Thanks.

I'm a little lost.. Can you post a screen shot of what your talking about.

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

The Batch Converter in Studio is for converting between:
    1) .dsa & .dsb (plain text to binary & back)
    2) .dsa/.dsb to .dse (encrypting), and
    3) .duf/.dsf between plain text and compressed

edited December 1969

MBusch said:

What is this "Studio Batch converter", just encase Natasha gives me that kind of grief?

1) In Studio go to Window>Panes (Tabs)>Batch Convert

2) In the pane select the file or directory which contains any .dsb files, which are encrypted DAZ Script files.

3) Check Convert DS[A] to DSB and DSB to DSA

4) Click Apply

5) All .dsb files will be converted to .dsa

It was the above entry I was referring to DraagonStorm. So, can an unsophisticated type like me get by without worrying about the Batch Converter in Studio FixmypcMike? All I want to do is make my Gen4 folks nice and bendy like Genesis 2 folks.

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

Ebajoy said:
    MBusch said:

What is this "Studio Batch converter", just encase Natasha gives me that kind of grief?

2) In the pane select the file or directory which contains any .dsb files, which are encrypted DAZ Script files.

4) Click Apply

It was the above entry I was referring to DraagonStorm. So, can an unsophisticated type like me get by without worrying about the Batch Converter in Studio FixmypcMike? All I want to do is make my Gen4 folks nice and bendy like Genesis 2 folks.

Yeah, you don't need to worry about those conversions.

• MBuschMBusch Posts: 547
    edited December 1969

Ebajoy said:
    MBusch said:

4) Click Apply

In fact, eventually you need. If the Material preset which you want convert is in a DSB format, M4/V4 Batch Converter will not work, so before you try convert them using M4/V4 Batch Converter you will need convert DSB Material Presets to DSA Material Presets using Studio Batch convert.

edited December 1969

MBusch said:
    Ebajoy said:
    MBusch said:

4) Click Apply

In fact, eventually you need. If the Material preset which you want convert is in a DSB format, M4/V4 Batch Converter will not work, so before you try convert them using M4/V4 Batch Converter you will need convert DSB Material Presets to DSA Material Presets using Studio Batch convert.

Thanks all. Interesting stuff.

• Jason GalterioJason Galterio Posts: 2,562
    edited December 1969

Since no one else has posted about it, be extremely careful in how you use this product.

Make sure that you only convert a small number of files at a time. I would say no more than a dozen individual items depending on your RAM.

Then make sure you shut DS down and reboot before attempting to convert any other files.

There is a memory leak incurred in the process that will quickly run through your available RAM and then start hitting the page file. That will in turn begin a serious Hard Fault situation with your hard drives.

This isn't a problem for short term processes, but it can be if left on going for a long period of time.