1/2" Square Drive Socket Set

richardandtracyrichardandtracy Posts: 4,980
edited February 2022 in Freebies

This is a freebie I'm sure everyone has been waiting years for, just never had the opportunity to express that latent desire.

It's a very basic 1/2" Square drive Socket Wrench with a separate 14mm Spark Plug Socket. The wrench is based on my older, and preferred, one I bought in 1983 and is still going strong. The wrench and socket are positioned relative to one another, so if you load them & 'parent in place' the socket to the wrench, the assembly can be moved to wherever you want. Alternatively, they can remain separate if you need the two bits to be separate. I haven't added any wearable poses for it - this is an initial release of parts of a socket set I needed. Simply uses DAZ Uber shaders. There are 4 material zones on the wrench, handle, body, ratchet direction changer and square drive, and one on the socket. The socket takes advantage of the odd behaviour of Iray when rendering sharp triangles to give a graduated shading on the outer surface simulating wear on a protective finish. [Yes, I AM trying to make a problem sound like a virtue!]

Like I said, people must have been dying for one of these, just never had the chance to say so.wink

Usage: Any. Just don't claim as your own work. If you update/improve it, please post as freebie so others can enjoy.

Regards,

Richard.

Post edited by richardandtracy on

Comments

• Oh wonderful, now "Scotty" can have the "right tool for the right job" and get to repairing the hull's exterior! :-)

• Sky77Sky77 Posts: 820

LOL!  Never knew I needed one but now I've gotta have it!  Nice job, Richard!

• richardandtracyrichardandtracy Posts: 4,980
    edited November 2021

It's just a little thing I thought was needed for my entry to the November freebie competition. I am going to try to complete a basic socket set with wrenches, extension bars & tommy bar and about 10 sockets and put it in an opening rotomoulded case.  With any luck, Scotty would approve.

Regards,

Richard

• riuken1riuken1 Posts: 127

Thanks richard

• atoxicatoxic Posts: 124

Thanks. 

• richardandtracy said:

It's just a little thing I thought was needed for my entry to the November freebie competition. I am going to try to complete a basic socket set with wrenches, extension bars & tommy bar and about 10 sockets and put it in an opening rotomoulded case.  With any luck, Scotty would approve.

Regards,

Richard

That sounds very interesting!

• Can't do it this month, even though I initially intended to, as I have other commitments. Amongst those are a 6700 stitch cross stitch picture to finish by the end of the month (currently 50% complete) and a fair heap of work.

Regards,

Richard

• Thank you so much for this!  I'm working on a garage scene as a gift for a friend!

• richardandtracyrichardandtracy Posts: 4,980
    edited February 2022

I promised to finish off the socket set, and have finally done so.

So, may I present a socket set, sockets 8, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17, 19, 21, 22, 24 & a 14mm plug socket. Along with that, there is a wrench, extension bars and a Tommy bar adapter. Furthermore there is a rigged socket set case which all the sockets go into.

I'm afraid I went rather over the top, and the engraving on the sockets is in mesh, not texture. 

To use: drop the wrench into the scene, then the desired socket. They will default to a position where they may be parented to one another in the correct positions. If you want an extension bar, drop that in like the socket, parent to the wrench or Tommy bar, and move the wrench 12.5 or 25cm (if the longer morph is 100%) in Y, drop in the socket and then parent that to the extension bar. The lot can then be moved as one piece.

I hope it's useful, it took much longer to create than expected, for which I apologize.

The normal and displacement textures for the case are shared with my running track freebie.

Regards,

Richard.

Socket Set Ad.png
    800 x 800 - 537K
    zip
    zip
    Socket Set.zip
    6M
  • PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 9,296

Thank you, now I can finally work on my cars smiley

• Hope it is worth the effort I put into it. In the background to this, I also ended up programming in a detriangulate method into my 3D modeller to reduce the number of sharp triangles when converting from SolidWorks to obj format in an effort to reduce the texture artefacts seen in the 14mm plug socket - but only the case benefitted due to how long it took to get to work properly. That was 300+ lines of code...
  • Thank you :-)

• Just picked it up on Rendo, thanks for this, it looks really good.

• riuken1riuken1 Posts: 127

thank you

• khorneV2khorneV2 Posts: 146

thanks a lot !

• Just hope you all like it.

Regards,

Richard

• IceCrMnIceCrMn Posts: 2,103

Thank you

• Awesome Richard and thank you, looks really good!

• lukon100lukon100 Posts: 752

Osum!

• I am always amused when people suddenly feel the need to declare that they have seen that rare North American Marsupial, the 'Ossum'. wink 

Just hope you find the set useful. One day. It's not one of those models that'll be in frequent use, I realise.

Regards,

Richard.