Old Stone Arched Building

perlkperlk Posts: 511
edited January 17 in Freebies

Free over at Deviant Art or Renderosity, I modeled this building in Hexagon.

https://www.deviantart.com/perlk/art/Free-Old-Stone-Arched-Building-for-Daz-Studio-903954185

https://www.renderosity.com/freestuff/items/90717/old-stone-arched-building-for-daz-studio

As with everything I make, if it was perfect, I'd be selling my models, so you'll have to live with the fact that it is not high quality! I find texturing particularly difficult to get realism with free stuff. It would be good for distance shots, though.

Enjoy.

Post edited by perlk on

Comments

  • nabob21nabob21 Posts: 620

    Thank you very much for this.

  • LeanaLeana Posts: 9,678

    Nice building, thanks!

  • HylasHylas Posts: 3,690

    That looks awesome, thank you!

  • perlkperlk Posts: 511

    You're welcome!

  • perlkperlk Posts: 511

    That looks great, Hylas! I love the lighting!

  • MilosGulanMilosGulan Posts: 1,910

    Tahnks, this looks great yes

  • richardandtracyrichardandtracy Posts: 2,907
    edited February 19

    I hope you don't mind if I make some comments. They are intended to help future projects be even better, not to criticise or make this one seem terrible, because it's great. I do like it, and know that my current equivalent project is a bit stalled through a lack of gumption.

    Right, the brick size is a bit huge. In reality bricks including mortar tend to be 9" x 4.5" x 3" (225 x 110 x 75mm). The main bricks are HUGE in comparison, looking at 8"/200mm high. The 'Stones' in the pillars don't look like bricks, so can be believable the size they are. It may be worth scaling the texture so it can be closer to reality. The thing I tried was to tile the texture. Oh dear. That didn't work. It may be worth trying to use a seamless texture for bricks so that it can be tiled by the user.

    Next comment. In your original texture, the mortar aligns around a corner. This is great. If the user, however, uses a different shader, then due to an offset in the texture mapping, the shader bricks don't match up around the corner.

    OK, that's enough comments, now to show it in use. I used UltraScenery instead of the ground, and used some Victoria 3 based characters to remind myself how good they can be in iRay. Then used the 'Sunflowers' HDRI from PolyHaven as the background.

    Regards,

    Richard.

    Post edited by richardandtracy on
  • perlkperlk Posts: 511
    edited February 19

    Yeah, it's not the best. I'm still practicing texturing for sure. I realized these issues but I couldn't figure out how to best solve them. I think what I will do instead is try to set textures in DS (as you suggested) rather than try to map it using Hexagon - unless I am making clothes. That's what I did with my Tuscan Dinner scene and it worked out better (although still, there are lines and gaps in places).

    Thanks for the feedback! Your render looks great.

    Post edited by perlk on
  • perlk said:

    Yeah, it's not the best. I'm still practicing texturing for sure. I realized these issues but I couldn't figure out how to best solve them. I think what I will do instead is try to set textures in DS (as you suggested) rather than try to map it using Hexagon - unless I am making clothes. That's what I did with my Tuscan Dinner scene and it worked out better (although still, there are lines and gaps in places).

    Thanks for the feedback! Your render looks great.

    Map it, that is vital, but try to keep each panel of brickwork separate and mapped flat so people can apply a tilable map there and repeat it as needed.

Sign In or Register to comment.