V4 Skins Batch Converter to Genesis 2 Female.....

Comments

• jestmartjestmart Posts: 4,449
    edited December 1969

They are not encrypted, they are compressed. If you changed to extension on any DAZ Studio compressed file to .zip than and compression utility could un-compress them.

• diogenese19348diogenese19348 Posts: 926
    edited December 1969

Got both products, they really work well and are simple to use... which is good, since I don't see any documentation. I can move stuff around on my own, I do it all the time, so where it puts things doesn't concern me. What I am curious about, since no one has mentioned it, is that the conversions I have done have all come out as .DSON not .DUF. They work fine, but since everybody else is saying .DUF, I'm wondering what I am missing?

• DraagonStormDraagonStorm Posts: 748
    edited December 1969

Got both products, they really work well and are simple to use... which is good, since I don't see any documentation. I can move stuff around on my own, I do it all the time, so where it puts things doesn't concern me. What I am curious about, since no one has mentioned it, is that the conversions I have done have all come out as .DSON not .DUF. They work fine, but since everybody else is saying .DUF, I'm wondering what I am missing?

Are you saying the actual filetype name is .DSON and not .duf? Can you post a screen shot?

edited December 2014

Just checked the download files, and you are correct. DAZ did not include the User's Guides I sent... Oh well...

Here's links to them in dropbox.

User's Guides (Zipped)

Post edited by DraagonStorm on
    edited December 1969

Are you saying the actual filetype name is .DSON and not .duf? Can you post a screen shot?

I'll post one tonight. It's at home and I'm at work ;) Much as I'd like to do rendering here...

• RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,146
    edited December 2014

Just checked the download files, and you are correct. DAZ did not include the User's Guides I sent... Oh well...

Batch Convert V4 to Genesis 2 Female.pdf

Batch Convert M4 to Genesis 2 Male.pdf

Dropbox errors hon! "Can't find what your looking for" notice

Post edited by RAMWolff on
    edited December 1969

RAMWolff said:

Batch Convert V4 to Genesis 2 Female.pdf

Batch Convert M4 to Genesis 2 Male.pdf

Dropbox errors hon! "Can't find what your looking for" notice

OK... Let's try this: User's Guides (Zipped)

• RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,146
    edited December 1969

Got the zip. Thanks hon

• SerpentSerpent Posts: 4,075
    edited December 1969

Just picked this up, and grabbed the users guide (thanks!).

Going to convert all my V4 skins this weekend! :cheese:

• ameesa001@gmail.com[email protected] Posts: 282
    edited December 1969

Ameesa said:
    Ameesa said:
    Converting my first skin now, I'm so EXCITED! I finally bought the Genx2 morphs converter this week, thanks to the resource sale pricing, and now with this skin converter, I'll be putting a lot of my old V4 and M4 friends back to good use.

It makes me feel good when people get excited from something something I've written :)

Would love to see the results!

I'll make a render when I get home from work. All I had time for was the conversion and a quick look at results.

I've only managed one full conversion before the batch converters came out and just found the process too tedious. This made things so much easier. Anyhow as promised, here's a render made with a now fully converted character. I used Maddelirium's Pip.

Pip.jpg
    1500 x 1347 - 800K
  • MBuschMBusch Posts: 547
    edited December 2014

jestmart said:
    They are not encrypted, they are compressed. If you changed to extension on any DAZ Studio compressed file to .zip than and compression utility could un-compress them.

You are right and wrong. A .dsb file is a DAZ Script Binary, so it is encrypted in a binary format. It needs to be converted to .dsa (DAZ Script Ascii) to be read by Skins Batch Converter. The method mentioned above does not works on .dsb, it works on .duf (DSON User File), but it is so much easier to use the mentioned Batch Convert pane in Studio IMHO.

Post edited by MBusch on
  • kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,560
    edited December 1969

somefunok said:
    I know this is probably a really stupid question but what' the difference between this and the V4 Skins Auto Converter?

That version let's you load ONE .ds, .dsb or .pz2 file onto Genesis 2 Female. It also does not save the .duf file for you.

Where this will BATCH convert a lot of files at one time, placing new .duf file formats where you want them for later use. And if you select a whole folder... It will convert all the material presets in that folder and it's subfolders... While maintaining the folder structure to where you want the new .duf files saved to... Takes the tediousness out of converting the files.

...that as the question I was going to ask.

So you could save them to any folder then like "Library/Presets/Materials/V4-G2F Skins"?

edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:
    somefunok said:
    I know this is probably a really stupid question but what' the difference between this and the V4 Skins Auto Converter?

That version let's you load ONE .ds, .dsb or .pz2 file onto Genesis 2 Female. It also does not save the .duf file for you.

Where this will BATCH convert a lot of files at one time, placing new .duf file formats where you want them for later use. And if you select a whole folder... It will convert all the material presets in that folder and it's subfolders... While maintaining the folder structure to where you want the new .duf files saved to... Takes the tediousness out of converting the files.

So you could save them to any folder then like "Library/Presets/Materials/V4-G2F Skins"?

Yes....

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,718
    edited December 1969

MBusch said:
    jestmart said:

You are right and wrong. A .dsb file is a DAZ Script Binary, so it is encrypted in a binary format. It needs to be converted to .dsa (DAZ Script Ascii) to be read by Skins Batch Converter. The method mentioned above does not works on .dsb, it works on .duf (DSON User File), but it is so much easier to use the mentioned Batch Convert pane in Studio IMHO.

In DS3 a .dsb file is compressed but not encrypted - the encrypted (and compressed) files are .dse. IN DS1 and DS2 a .dsb file might be compressed only or compressed and encrypted.

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,560
    edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:
    somefunok said:

Yes....

..OK sold.

edited December 1969

My bad, the description type is "DSON User File", the known extensions were hidden (I thought I had turned that off). They are indeed .DUF

• ZarconDeeGrissomZarconDeeGrissom Posts: 5,412
    edited December 2014

Good to hear the good news, diogenese19348. Nice render Ameesa, quite similar to some ideas I had in passing, and have not had a chance to play with. Thanks for the manual DragonStorm, saves me the time digging for something that is/was not there.

I was only joking in passing about the encrypted files, tho compressed can have the same effect, lol. yes, saves hard drive bandwidth loading the files, the cpu still needs to parse them into something useful. It still eats up cpu power in a cpu demanding environment, lol.

Post edited by ZarconDeeGrissom on
  • CypherFOXCypherFOX Posts: 3,401
    edited December 2014

Greetings,
    Can this be used with the K4 UVs released tonight? There's some reference to the auto-converter, but I'd love to know if it can be made even easier with this tool, or if there is some kind of a V4-based limitation on this tool that would make it not work for K4 materials? (It feels wrong to talk about 'kids' and skins in the same sente...ahhh crap, there I did it anyway. :-/ )

-- Morgan

Post edited by CypherFOX on
    edited December 1969

Hi!

I think something should be fixed in both Skins Converters. G2F.duf and G2M.duf have some extra render settings saved in file, so after run the script, my render settings are changed. By default my render settings are always set to Gamma Correction On and Gamma 2.20. Seems it is not correct change my settings. Not a big deal, just a small inconvenience.

edited December 1969

Cypherfox said:
    Greetings,
    Can this be used with the K4 UVs released tonight? There's some reference to the auto-converter, but I'd love to know if it can be made even easier with this tool, or if there is some kind of a V4-based limitation on this tool that would make it not work for K4 materials? (It feels wrong to talk about 'kids' and skins in the same sente...ahhh crap, there I did it anyway. :-/ )

-- Morgan

It will convert the files, but the UV set will be either Victoria 4 or Michael 4... You will have to change the UV set to Kids 4 by hand.

edited December 1969

MBusch said:
    Hi!

I think something should be fixed in both Skins Converters. G2F.duf and G2M.duf have some extra render settings saved in file, so after run the script, my render settings are changed. By default my render settings are always set to Gamma Correction On and Gamma 2.20. Seems it is not correct change my settings. Not a big deal, just a small inconvenience.

DAZ Studio is changing the settings to what I had when I saved those files... Best thing to do would be for you to save your render settings as a preset, and then reapply those settings after running the script.

edited December 1969

BTW, thanks for creating these two scripts. Between them and GenX2 I can now import all my V4 and M4 content to Gen2 and be done with that generation. V4 was fine, but had some real funky morph channel limitations, and I found I was constantly pushing them. Now if I could only come up with a quick way to transfer Mike's suspicious parts textures... ;)

• CypherFOXCypherFOX Posts: 3,401
    edited December 1969

Greetings,

Now if I could only come up with a quick way to transfer Mike's suspicious parts textures... ;)
    Yeah, I always found M4's eyebrows particularly suspicious...

;)

If that's not what you mean, have you looked into this thread?

-- Morgan

edited December 2014

MBusch said:
    Hi!

DAZ Studio is changing the settings to what I had when I saved those files... Best thing to do would be for you to save your render settings as a preset, and then reapply those settings after running the script.

Nope. Best thing to do could be your scene to be saved without recording your render settings. By the way, it change my luxus render settings also. I just changed my Preferences>Scene>Render Settings checking to: Ignore when opening a scene file. As it is not the best solution I just re-save your scene file unchecking all options in Preferences>Scene. This solved the problem to me.

I still think your files could be fixed to be included in a future update which would include the user guide. Oh, thanks for the user guide.

Screen_Shot_2014-12-06_at_18.46_.02_.jpg
    400 x 640 - 52K
    Post edited by MBusch on
    edited December 1969

Cypherfox said:
    Greetings,
    Now if I could only come up with a quick way to transfer Mike's suspicious parts textures... ;)
    Yeah, I always found M4's eyebrows particularly suspicious...

;)

If that's not what you mean, have you looked into this thread?

-- Morgan

Thanks, I own that item, I guess I'll have to figure out how to use it now. Yeah, those eyebrows really give me fits.

• IppotamusIppotamus Posts: 1,578
    edited December 2014

I must apologize, I am not very good at the technical/file side of thing which is why I can not get this to work. After an hour I am exasperated and no closer to getting this to work. 100% my fault to be sure. So I will try to give an example and hopefully someone can help me through it.

Most of my V4 characters are saved in this folder:
    C:/Users/Ippotamus/Documents/DAZ 3D Character

So my first question is, do I point to that folder or do I point to one of the folders inside (content, people, runtime, etc)? Or do I point to one of the folders inside one of those folders? I tried the texture folder inside the runtime, that didn't work at all.

Also, using the same example above, where should I save the converted materials once I actually get that far? Would it make sense to save it in the same file they came from? Could I save them to a desktop folder and move them around later?

I hope someone can give me a hand. :)
    I am utterly handless.

Post edited by Ippotamus on
    edited December 1969

Ippotamus said:
    I must apologize, I am not very good at the technical/file side of thing which is why I can not get this to work. After an hour I am exasperated and no closer to getting this to work. 100% my fault to be sure. So I will try to give an example and hopefully someone can help me through it.

Most of my V4 characters are saved in this folder:
    C:/Users/Ippotamus/Documents/DAZ 3D Character

So my first question is, do I point to that folder or do I point to one of the folders inside (content, people, runtime, etc)? Or do I point to one of the folders inside one of those folders? I tried the texture folder inside the runtime, that didn't work at all.

Also, using the same example above, where should I save the converted materials once I actually get that far? Would it make sense to save it in the same file they came from? Could I save them to a desktop folder and move them around later?

I hope someone can give me a hand. :)
    I am utterly handless.

Point it at a subfolder that contains a V4 UV set, not the base folder, at least if you have a bunch of them. I find the more folders you give it in one sitting, the longer it takes to actually start, and it does gobble up memory. I don't think it was ever intended to do all of your UV sets at once. I've thrown as many as 20 characters at it at one time, it took half the night to start (it just sits there saying "busy" for hours, and it is using 55 gigs of RAM (I have 72 gig on the mahcine). I'd strongly suggest to do one character at a time on a normal machine. It will get any sub-folders for that character automatically.

To be exact, you want to start with a character folder under runtime/libraries/character, you don't want to point it at the root of My Library.

Unless you like waiting forever.

• UHFUHF Posts: 512
    edited December 1969

Where is the manual. As much as I like randomly clicking, I can't tell what is happening or what I am attempting to cause to happen.

I have no clue what to do. I have no idea what the script is looking for. The script provides zero description for what is needed. Even a readme would be a god send.

edited December 1969

UHF said:
    Where is the manual. As much as I like randomly clicking, I can't tell what is happening or what I am attempting to cause to happen.

I have no clue what to do. I have no idea what the script is looking for. The script provides zero description for what is needed. Even a readme would be a god send.

It was submitted to DAZ, and I don't know why it was not included in the package.

User's Guides (Zipped)

• UHFUHF Posts: 512
    edited December 1969

Now I get an error. And it says to check the log. What log? Where is it?