V4 Skins Batch Converter to Genesis 2 Female.....

Comments

• DraagonStormDraagonStorm Posts: 748
    edited December 1969

ssgbryan said:
    This looks interesting. I do have a question.

Does this also work for just M4-Male Gen2 UV or will it also work on all of the other niche UVs (Brodie being the latest?)

This is for the Generation 4 UVs (Victoria 4 and Michael 4) textures that do not have .duf material presets. So the other 'niche' UVs for Genesis 2 figures do not come into play.

(You will also need Victoria 4 for Genesis 2 Female and Michael 4 for Genesis 2 Male (depending).)

• Jason GalterioJason Galterio Posts: 2,562
    edited December 1969

I don't have any of Sabby's characters. But if you select a folder, or files that have both (.ds or .dsa) and .pz2 files, the script will select the daz .ds or .dsa files and ignore the .pz2 files. (The script can not convert .dsb files. DS script is unable to unencrypt that format)

Do note that there are no 'special' tweaks to make a Poser .pz2 file look better in DS in the script. It just takes what settings are there and assigns what it can.

Okay it's going to be a little harder to explain this, so bare with me...

!Sabby\Hope has a Victoria 4 subdirectory and a Genesis subdirectory. Obviously the script won't convert the Genesis files, which is fine. They only got included because I didn't check before I started the process. However, the script appeared to attempt to convert these and then gave up and moved on.

In the Victoria 4 subdirectory there are !!!Morphs, !!SSS_Shaders, !Normal_Shaders and Daz_Options subdirectories.

Understandably nothing in the Morphs directory converted, nor did I expect it would.

SSS_Shaders and Normal_Shaders I suspected to be Poser specific files since the only things that converted were two of the eye materials (out of 7). The interesting part is that the same two eye materials converted. None of the other items converted, not the Make Up materials or the Body.

Daz_Options fared a little better. There are 123 files in the source directory and 38 in the converted directory. The source has both pz2 and dsa files, so that makes up a big chunk of the difference. The source has 41 dsa files, the converted has 19 duf files.

The differences I noticed are kind of... inconsistent. For example there are 15 source Make Up files. And 9 converted Make Up files. There are 16 Lip files and 0 converted Lip files.

• jakibluejakiblue Posts: 7,281
    edited December 1969

i converted quite a few V4 skins (two words you should never speak aloud as I discovered last night when trying to explain to hubby why i was so excited) last night, and everything went well...until I was converting Warrior Maiden Ashe. Completely locked up the machine towards the end. I suspect it could be because of the sheer amount of mats/files in the product? However after restarting my machine i saw that the vast majority of the files had been done - so I was going to just select the undone materials today to finish it off.

Just curious if anyone else had suffered a complete lock-up when doing a HUGE product?

edited December 1969

jakiblue said:
    i converted quite a few V4 skins (two words you should never speak aloud as I discovered last night when trying to explain to hubby why i was so excited) last night, and everything went well...until I was converting Warrior Maiden Ashe. Completely locked up the machine towards the end. I suspect it could be because of the sheer amount of mats/files in the product? However after restarting my machine i saw that the vast majority of the files had been done - so I was going to just select the undone materials today to finish it off.

Just curious if anyone else had suffered a complete lock-up when doing a HUGE product?

I think this would be a limitation of DS or your machine, or a little of both... Each time a Material file is loaded those textures are put into memory (to speed up working with them in your scene). I did put a 'clear' statement after each conversion, but unsure how much that really clears out memory... (Not something that is completely under my control)... So my guess is you ran out of memory....

edited December 2014

Legionair said:
    I don't have any of Sabby's characters. But if you select a folder, or files that have both (.ds or .dsa) and .pz2 files, the script will select the daz .ds or .dsa files and ignore the .pz2 files. (The script can not convert .dsb files. DS script is unable to unencrypt that format)

Do note that there are no 'special' tweaks to make a Poser .pz2 file look better in DS in the script. It just takes what settings are there and assigns what it can.

Okay it's going to be a little harder to explain this, so bare with me...

!Sabby\Hope has a Victoria 4 subdirectory and a Genesis subdirectory. Obviously the script won't convert the Genesis files, which is fine. They only got included because I didn't check before I started the process. However, the script appeared to attempt to convert these and then gave up and moved on.

In the Victoria 4 subdirectory there are !!!Morphs, !!SSS_Shaders, !Normal_Shaders and Daz_Options subdirectories.

Understandably nothing in the Morphs directory converted, nor did I expect it would.

SSS_Shaders and Normal_Shaders I suspected to be Poser specific files since the only things that converted were two of the eye materials (out of 7). The interesting part is that the same two eye materials converted. None of the other items converted, not the Make Up materials or the Body.

Daz_Options fared a little better. There are 123 files in the source directory and 38 in the converted directory. The source has both pz2 and dsa files, so that makes up a big chunk of the difference. The source has 41 dsa files, the converted has 19 duf files.

The differences I noticed are kind of... inconsistent. For example there are 15 source Make Up files. And 9 converted Make Up files. There are 16 Lip files and 0 converted Lip files.

I went ahead a purchased Hope at Rendo (I have some store credit there)...

First let's talk about what the script is actually doing.. Frist off, we're not concerned with the actual figure Victoria 4 or Michael 4. We are concerned with the UV sets Victoria 4 or Michael 4. The reason .ds, .dsa or pz2 files will not work for Genesis 2 is that the material names changed. Where in V4 UV we have "1_SkinFace", Genesis 2 is "Face". So DS can not reconcile where to put the texture for 1_SkinFace. Now the programmers at DAZ3D, did put some magic code inside of DS, so that if the filetype is .duf (which if you open up the two files in an editor, You can see they look completely different) DS will see 1_SkinFace, and go "Oh, I'm applying this to Genesis 2! I know they really mean Face... So, I'll put it there"... I'm kinda doing the same kind of thing... I see 1_SkinFace and change it to Face, and so on for all the different materials...(And it's not just the textures.. It's the shaders, settings and stuff too)

I say this because, specifically in this product "Hope", you have DAZ specific Morphs and Material Presets found in "My Library\People\Genesis\Characters\!Sabby\Hope". And I checked, the UVs for this is Victoria 4, but the filetype for the textures are .dsa. The fact that the filetype is .dsa is why you can not use these files on Genesis 2. But there is no reason you can not convert these to Genesis 2 .duf files with my Script, just as you do any other .dsa file for the Victoria 4 UV. And you should expect better results when loaded, since I going to assume that the settings from the .dsa file are for DS renders, were the settings in the Poser format is geared to Poser settings.

Post edited by DraagonStorm on
  • SuperdogSuperdog Posts: 765
    edited December 1969

Ok, I've bought the scripts now how do I locate the files I need to convert? Will they be in

'Content/Runtime/Textures/Name of product' folder or

'Content/Runtime/Libraries/Materials/Name of product' folder?

Or both or neither? Totally unsure which folder to open to do all this converting!

• EdArt3DEdArt3D Posts: 4
    edited December 1969

Hello DraagonStorm,
    no discount for those who purchased:

Michael 4 Skins Auto Converter For Genesis 2 Male(s)
    and
    V4 Skins Auto Converter for Genesis 2 Female(s) ?

Thank You!

edited December 2014

Superdog said:
    Ok, I've bought the scripts now how do I locate the files I need to convert? Will they be in

Or both or neither? Totally unsure which folder to open to do all this converting!

uhhhhhhhhhhh... There's so no definitive answer to that..

It depends on where the files you want to convert were installed to.
    How the creator of the product set up the folder structure to the Material Presets.
    Have you created multiple runtimes?
    And so many other things...

But let's assume you have just stuck with defaults: See http://wiki.daz3d.com/doku.php/artzone/pub/software/dazcontentconfiguration

And you content is located in C:\users\[your user account]\My Documents\DAZ 3D\Studio\My Library

For Poser content: you would continue on to \Runtime\Libraries And then possibly Characters or Poses (and when DAZ puts out the update I gave them today) Materials

For DAZ content: most likely continue on to \People\Victoria 4 or \People\Michael 4

------Now after all that-------

A quick way to find the path to something you want to convert would be... in DAZ Studio, go to that thumbnail in the content library, right mouse click on the thumbnail and select "Browse to file location", this will open a window to where that material preset is, and you can see the path there.

edited December 1969

bill gate said:
    Hello DraagonStorm,
    no discount for those who purchased:

Michael 4 Skins Auto Converter For Genesis 2 Male(s)
    and
    V4 Skins Auto Converter for Genesis 2 Female(s) ?

Thank You!

Not this time. With all the deep discounts DAZ3D has done this past year in my store, I just can't afford it.

• SuperdogSuperdog Posts: 765
    edited December 1969

Superdog said:

uhhhhhhhhhhh... There's so no definitive answer to that..

It depends on where the files you want to convert were installed to.
    How the creator of the product set up the folder structure to the Material Presets.
    Have you created multiple runtimes?
    And so many other things...

But let's assume you have just stuck with defaults: See http://wiki.daz3d.com/doku.php/artzone/pub/software/dazcontentconfiguration

And you content is located in C:\users\[your user account]\My Documents\DAZ 3D\Studio\My Library

For Poser content: you would continue on to \Runtime\Libraries And then possibly Characters or Poses (and when DAZ puts out the update I gave them today) Materials

For DAZ content: most likely continue on to \People\Victoria 4 or \People\Michael 4

------Now after all that-------

A quick way to find the path to something you want to convert would be... in DAZ Studio, go to that thumbnail in the content library, right mouse click on the thumbnail and select "Browse to file location", this will open a window to where that material preset is, and you can see the path there.

Thanks so much! I'll work through those suggestions. I have some really great older M4/V4 characters that haven't been updated to G1/2. Sadly, the variety of characters, including older people (40+), is missing in G1/2. I know there are morphs for creating older characters but a custom designed character is still superior in my opinion.

• BBlogoBBlogo Posts: 54
    edited December 1969

One tip to dramatically speed up the conversion process (specialy if you have a lot of characters, morphs sets and resources on your G2) :
    Just temporary rename the /data/DAZ 3D/Genesis 2/Female/Morphs folder to something like Morphs.BAK. This will prevent to load the morphs on your G2 each time the script loads a new scene to apply the material presets.

• alkenalken Posts: 253
    edited December 2014

bblogoss said:
    One tip to dramatically speed up the conversion process (specialy if you have a lot of characters, morphs sets and resources on your G2) :
    Just temporary rename the /data/DAZ 3D/Genesis 2/Female/Morphs folder to something like Morphs.BAK. This will prevent to load the morphs on your G2 each time the script loads a new scene to apply the material presets.

Great tip! I've been converting M4 skins for several hours now and this really speeds it up.

Post edited by alken on
  • alkenalken Posts: 253
    edited December 2014

For some reason Jepe's Leo Madoc will not convert. DraagonStorm's script goes through the motions then says it's finished, but it doesn't save anything. The MATs are in .dsa format so it should be working. Same problem with Jepe's Ian-Pierre. So far those are the only two I've come across that won't convert. Could the reason be that they were designed to work with Genesis as well as M4?

Post edited by alken on
  • ZarconDeeGrissomZarconDeeGrissom Posts: 5,412
    edited December 2014

Outstanding work DragonStorm, Months ago I had tried the other method of moving V4 mats to G2F, and failing to do something correct along the way somewhere.

A slight confusion after reading threw the past few pages of posts. Dose the V4 source need to be a complete figure, or will it work on texture sets alone? Specifically interested in moving "V4 EliteTexture: Natasha" over to G2F, uv set and all.
    http://www.daz3d.com/v4-elitetexture-natasha

In the past when I tried, genesis literally turned into V4??? not just the uv set in the surface tab, morphs in the shaping tab and all. It had me completely dumbfounded, and I just considered it a lost cause.

This script is giving me some hope, as I didn't see any noticeable difference in the mat image file outlines between V4 and G2F. Will this script convert a UV4 set to G2F outright so I can save it as a materiel preset for G2F, or is it something slightly different?
    (edit)
    Will it still be set to UV4 uv set in the surface tab, or will it be the G2F default uv set when done?

Post edited by ZarconDeeGrissom on
    edited December 1969

alken said:
    For some reason Jepe's Leo Madoc will not convert. DraagonStorm's script goes through the motions then says it's finished, but it doesn't save anything. The MATs are in .dsa format so it should be working. Same problem with Jepe's Ian-Pierre. So far those are the only two I've come across that won't convert. Could the reason be that they were designed to work with Genesis as well as M4?

I don't have those products so it's hard for me to say what is 'different' about them...

One thing to remember .dsa is also the filetype for scripts... It is possible these are not material presets. When you select files I load them in the list to convert... But before I actually try to convert them, I check to see if the file is a material preset... I look for a line in the file that is equal to: const g_sTOOL_NAME = "Material Preset"; in a dsa or ds files. For .pz2, I just check to see if it has the string KdColor in it somewhere.

edited December 2014

Outstanding work DragonStorm, Months ago I had tried the other method of moving V4 mats to G2F, and failing to do something correct along the way somewhere.

A slight confusion after reading threw the past few pages of posts. Dose the V4 source need to be a complete figure, or will it work on texture sets alone? Specifically interested in moving "V4 EliteTexture: Natasha" over to G2F, uv set and all.
    http://www.daz3d.com/v4-elitetexture-natasha

In the past when I tried, genesis literally turned into V4??? not just the uv set in the surface tab, morphs in the shaping tab and all. It had me completely dumbfounded, and I just considered it a lost cause.

This script is giving me some hope, as I didn't see any noticeable difference in the mat image file outlines between V4 and G2F. Will this script convert a UV4 set to G2F outright so I can save it as a materiel preset for G2F, or is it something slightly different?

You do not need V4, but you do need G2F or G2M, and the UV V4 or UV M4 for G2F or G2M... Required Products are linked in the store page.

The scripts, in a simplistic way of saying it... Rewrites a .ds, dsa, or .pz2 material preset for UV Victoria 4 or UV Michael 4 (depending on which script you run) to G2F or G2M .duf files. You don't need to save the .duf file, it writes it for you, where you told it to write it.

edited December 2014

ok so I don't need to turn natasha texture into an all out figure first, that's a relief.

We posted simultaneously, and My edit is my last bit of Question about the conversion. is there subtle differences of where the eyes or mouth are in the image files between UV4 and G2F uv sets? will the end result still be using the UV4 set in the surface tab? how much of a difference would using a uv4 uv set on G2F make if any?

• MBuschMBusch Posts: 547
    edited December 1969

One question: Loading and re-loading the target figure seems inefficient, so why not just reset the surfaces between each preset conversion.

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

ok so I don't need to turn natasha texture into an all out figure first, that's a relief.

We posted simultaneously, and My edit is my last bit of Question about the conversion. is there subtle differences of where the eyes or mouth are in the image files between UV4 and G2F uv sets? will the end result still be using the UV4 set in the surface tab? how much of a difference would using a uv4 uv set on G2F make if any?

It doesn't change the UVset -- it's still the V4 UVset, it's just in a format in which DS knows to translate the names of the material zones.

edited December 1969

The difference is not subtle... There's a lot of difference between a texture created for the UV set Victoria 4, and a different UV such as Victoria 5 or Victoria 6. G2F does not release with a UV set for Victoria 4, so you will need to purchase that if you have not already victoria 4 for genesis 2 female . This has been created specifically so that the textures created for the Victoria 4 UV set, will work on G2F. And yes the surface tab UV set will be set to Victoria 4.

edited December 1969

MBusch said:
    One question: Loading and re-loading the target figure seems inefficient, so why not just reset the surfaces between each preset conversion.

I have a lot of different reasons so that the script will work... Just believe me, it was done that way for a reason.

edited December 1969

MBusch said:

I have a lot of different reasons so that the script will work... Just believe me, it was done that way for a reason.

Ok. I am not complaining, just wondering... If you say, so it is true for me. Nice product by the way... as always.

edited December 2014

As a brain cell sparked off somewhere, lol. I had tried to move the V4 set to G2F before that V4 for G2F product was released, lol.

I bet the reloading of the figure each step has to do with how Daz Studio loads surface settings, if a field is blank (diffuse, opacity, etc) in the shader/preset being loaded, the former one on the surface stays put.
    (edit)
    didn't type that fast enough, lol.

edited December 1969

MBusch said:
    MBusch said:

Ok. I am not complaining, just wondering... If you say, so it is true for me. Nice product by the way... as always.

:) Thank you.. Sorry if that sounded short, It was suppose to be a bit humorous.....

I've been answering a lot questions.... :)

edited December 1969

As a brain cell sparked off somewhere, lol. I had tried to move the V4 set to G2F before that V4 for G2F product was released, lol.

I bet the reloading of the figure each step has to do with how Daz Studio loads surface settings, if a field is blank (diffuse, opacity, etc) in the shader/preset being loaded, the former one on the surface stays put.
    (edit)
    didn't type that fast enough, lol.

One of many reasons :).... Makeup only presets... Eyes only presets... But not just that... There are some 'controls' I have put into the G2F/G2M that gets loaded for when I go to create the .duf material presets that I need to know if they changed or not.

To simplify some of my reasons ;)

edited December 1969

Good point, anything that is blank in whatever is loaded, levees the former setting in that spot. shaders, shaping presets, poses, etc. Things that make some toys in Studio so much fun, make batch converting a pain when you need a Celene slate, lol.

It's been a long day here as well, and I still need to read the Luxus and LuxRender beginners guides. I'm to tiered for that at this point.

Sold by the way. :coolsmile:

edited December 1969

Funny. The first character which I try to convert was Angelique by Addy, and the DS materials are in .dsb encrypted format, so obviously the Batch Converter translated the .pz2 and the results were weird.

The easy solution to anyone with the same problem. Use Studio Batch converter to convert the .dsb to .dsa before run the Batch Converter. ;-)

edited December 1969

MBusch said:

Funny. The first character which I try to convert was Angelique by Addy, and the DS materials are in .dsb encrypted format, so obviously the Batch Converter translated the .pz2 and the results were weird.

The easy solution to anyone with the same problem. Use Studio Batch converter to convert the .dsb to .dsa before run the Batch Converter. ;-)What! encrypted for what reason, to waste cpu compute power on a system doing CG.

Circular sounding process aside. You must run convert on the file, so that convert can convert the file...
    What is this "Studio Batch converter", just encase Natasha gives me that kind of grief?

edited December 1969

What is this "Studio Batch converter", just encase Natasha gives me that kind of grief?

1) In Studio go to Window>Panes (Tabs)>Batch Convert

2) In the pane select the file or directory which contains any .dsb files, which are encrypted DAZ Script files.

3) Check Convert DS[A] to DSB and DSB to DSA

4) Click Apply

5) All .dsb files will be converted to .dsa

Screen_Shot_2014-12-05_at_04.45_.49_.jpg
    462 x 684 - 51K
    Screen_Shot_2014-12-05_at_04.45_.08_.jpg
    200 x 865 - 59K
    edited December 1969

That is so cool, thanks MBusch.