Post Your Renders - Happy New Year yall

Comments

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,187
    edited December 1969

I think it looks awesome.
    I totally agree!
    If you want to make an easy way to twist it, instead of cutting it up, make each cube individually. Put them all into a group, so you can move the whole model around as a whole. Then, when you want to twist a section of cubes, drag a selection around the section to twist and Group (cntrl g) them, twist them holding the Shift key, then you can ungroup them again (Ctrl u, I believe - otherwise Edit > Ungroup will show the shortcut) so that you can select a new section to group together and twist.

Anyways, I think your model is absolutely gorgeous! I love how you've even added some bump or thickness to the color stickers... fantastic!

• pimpypimpy Posts: 274
    edited November 2014

Working with HDRI (no other lights only ambent light)
    (Modeled in Wings3d - Rendering and texture in Carrara 8 pro)

seaside.jpg
    1000 x 750 - 196K
    Post edited by pimpy on
    edited December 1969

pimpy said:
    Ouch! That's really nice work, Pimpy!
  • pimpypimpy Posts: 274
    edited December 1969

pimpy said:
    Ouch! That's really nice work, Pimpy!

Thank you Dartanbeck!
    I like the glitter of gold ... and sometimes do projects and designs of jewelry ...

edited December 1969

Yeah... I'm liking it too! Yikes that's cool!
    Love the gold, love the pearls... the rest of it... Love it!

• Analog-X64Analog-X64 Posts: 110
    edited December 1969

Quick little animation. MMO related, using map data from Guild Wars 2 game to see how it would look like viewed from space.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1b8HBUvsvV8

edited December 1969

Quick little animation. MMO related, using map data from Guild Wars 2 game to see how it would look like viewed from space.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1b8HBUvsvV8

That turned out really nice! Love the timing too!
  • Analog-X64Analog-X64 Posts: 110
    edited December 1969

That turned out really nice! Love the timing too!

Thanks, I watched a few videos of actual satellite imagery of earth to get a sense of speed and the look of the atmosphere.

edited December 1969

It paid off well... Love it!

• MarkIsSleepyMarkIsSleepy Posts: 1,496
    edited December 1969

I've been playing with the Dream Home, replacing all the textures with Carrara textures (which required making some changes to the UV maps). I still have to replace all the ceiling lights with spots - right now they are all bulbs which is resulting in a little too much light all around the room, but I think I've finally found an .IES profile I like, so I can "install" the spotlights. :) I still need to rotate the map for the floor too - it looks weird with the tiles at an angle like that - I want them more square to the overall room shape. Then it's just adding set dressing and on to the next room.

I'm particularly proud of the glass in front of the shower, which was originally a strange transparent grey and is now clear at the top and bottom and frosted across the middle.

Here's an early test render...

Mark

BathNightTest_01.jpg
    1000 x 600 - 59K
  • MarkIsSleepyMarkIsSleepy Posts: 1,496
    edited December 1969

If you want to make an easy way to twist it, instead of cutting it up, make each cube individually. Put them all into a group, so you can move the whole model around as a whole. Then, when you want to twist a section of cubes, drag a selection around the section to twist and Group (cntrl g) them, twist them holding the Shift key, then you can ungroup them again (Ctrl u, I believe - otherwise Edit > Ungroup will show the shortcut) so that you can select a new section to group together and twist.

Anyways, I think your model is absolutely gorgeous! I love how you've even added some bump or thickness to the color stickers... fantastic!

Thanks Dartanbeck. I got distracted by working on "Carrara-izing" the Dream Home but I like the group/ungroup idea for twisting my Rubik's Cube and am going to use it when I rebuild. I think I just need to model three different pieces for that (middle of the side, middle edge and corner) instead of the whole thing and then assemble. Knowing all the wrong turns I took the first time through it should go pretty quickly - I am becoming a dynamic extrusion master. :)

Mark

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,922
    edited December 1969

Sorry I've been quiet. Here's what I have been working on:

I'm honoured to be part of the part of the "Now, That's a Newcastle Christmas" celebrations happening this December. Photos: One of the fabulous Newcastle Now Christmas Banners decorating parts of the inner city. Banner illustrations by yours truly. And a teaser trailer for the Advent Calender that will be showing in the old David Jones' Windows at Wolfe Street, from tomorrow:

http://youtu.be/TpwUHL6q6us

You can see some more about "Now, That's a Newcastle Christmas!' here: https://www.facebook.com/events/899590700058891/

finnie.jpg
    1545 x 2000 - 4M
  • TangoAlphaTangoAlpha Posts: 4,584
    edited December 1969

That's Awesome! And you get a gala opening too :) How many banners do you have up?

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,922
    edited December 1969

Thanks ! I think there is maybe 30? They'll be projecting the work onto buildings for 24 days as well ! ;)

• bighbigh Posts: 8,147
    edited December 1969

head wax said:
    Thanks ! I think there is maybe 30? They'll be projecting the work onto buildings for 24 days as well ! ;)

so you are in South Africa ?
    and xmas sales start Dec 1 ?

edited December 1969

Awesome Dream Home, Mark! Looking suite... I mean... Sweet!

Love the scene you've got there HW!

• DustRiderDustRider Posts: 2,691
    edited December 2014

This image actually got 2nd place in the Annual PC Render Contest!! There were many many outstanding entries, with over 120 entries. It's hard to believe that I actually placed.

Anyway, I thought a few here might like to know that a Carrara/Octane image actually placed in a general contest here (judged by DAZ 3D staff)..

Mage_Tower2.jpg
    2000 x 1667 - 569K
    Post edited by DustRider on
  • DADA_universeDADA_universe Posts: 336
    edited December 1969

It's a fabulous piece Dustrider, a winner any day!

• GarstorGarstor Posts: 1,411
    edited December 1969

A beautiful scene Dustrider! I'm curious about the props that you used.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

Garstor said:

Looks like the Mage Tower accessory packs to me. There are 4 packs I believe, plus the tower and the furnishings in separate packs, but if you are a PC member then they are a good price.

And Congrats Dustrider

• chickenmanchickenman Posts: 1,202
    edited December 1969

Awesome placement in the contest congrats

Maybe it will convince others what a great piece of software Carrara really is..

edited December 1969

chohole said:
    Looks like the Mage Tower accessory packs to me. There are 4 packs I believe, plus the tower and the furnishings in separate packs, but if you are a PC member then they are a good price.

Thanks. I'm pretty sure that I have all the mage tower stuff. But I've never tried a render with them yet.

• magaremotomagaremoto Posts: 1,226
    edited December 1969

congrats, DustRider keep up the good work

subD displacement + bump test
    touched up in post (contrast and desaturation)

trey.jpg
    1171 x 2000 - 2M
    edited December 1969

Thanks everyone!

Garstor said:

Chohole was right, I used the Mage Tower Accessories packs - I think I used stuff from packs 1, 2, and 3, as well as the Mage Tower.

magaremoto - another great render!!

edited December 1969

thank you DustRider
    may I ask you a sort of "making of " your amazing render? the more I look at the garment the more the clothes look impressive, and which kernel did you use?

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,040
    edited December 1969

Garstor said:
    chohole said:

Thanks. I'm pretty sure that I have all the mage tower stuff. But I've never tried a render with them yet.

You'll just have to quit wasting your time in LW. ;-P

edited December 1969

Garstor said:

You'll just have to quit wasting your time in LW. ;-P

I've been waiting patiently all day for EP's reply! :-/

edited December 1969

another try on skin; bump only this time
    this great model is Fabia for V4

Doc4.jpg
    1589 x 2000 - 1M
    edited December 1969

thank you DustRider
    may I ask you a sort of "making of " your amazing render? the more I look at the garment the more the clothes look impressive, and which kernel did you use?

I;ll try, if I miss anything of interest, or what to know any specific settings just let me know. I used the Path Tracing Kernel to render it.

First - general materials (not the figure):
    Everything it the scene, except for G2F of course, and the spell ball, is from the Mage Tower and it's accessory sets (except for one book, and I think that was from DM's Dark Rights set, but I could be wrong). I converted most of the materials to octane materials and adjusted to make them look like I wanted. The plugin does an excellent job of converting the mats/shaders, but I almost always fine tune my shaders, whether I'm using DS, Carrara, or Octane. Most of the modifications were just adjusting the specular and roughness values to fine tune the shine/sheen, adding in bump maps that got dropped, and changing from fast mip map to sampling (IMVHO sampling gives better texture detail).

For the figure (all materials for figure, cloths and hair were converted to Octane materials)
    The figure is a custom G2F figure using V6 and a lot of additional morphs from the Evolution Morphs, Handspan Studios, and Zevo. The texture set is the V5 Bree texture set using the Octane shaders that come with the Octane plugin (I developed them originally - they use an Octane Mix Material with Glossy and Diffuse).

The clothes are the from the Battle Kimono, available here at DAZ3D. Unfortunately, the textures don't load properly (or at all), so all the textures were set-up manually from the texture set that comes with the Battle Kimono. The texture set is huge, I only used the diffuse and bump maps (running out of VRAM). Again, IMVHO all the textures needed to be changed from Fast Mip Map to Sampling (I really think the results were worth it with these textures - they are amazing), then I adjusted the specular and roughness settings to get that perfect sine/sheen, which was especially effective on the Kimono top. I made a few adjustments with Poke Away 2 to fix the poke through, and I also made some adjustments to the left sleeve in the modeling room the make it fit properly on the "extreme" arm pose.

The hair is Hawthorn Hair, I had to add the hair to the scene, then conform it. Letting it auto-conform by selecting G2F before double clicking on it always resulted with Carrara hanging and crashing. Adding the hair firgure then conforming worked perfectly. I had to make a few adjustments to the hair with the included morphs and Poke Away 2 to get it to fit perfectly. I adjusted everything to sampling, added in bump maps, and adjusted the poser of the specular maps (just the diffuse put in the specular channel).

For lighting. I used the Octane sunlight to provide a "natural" light through the windows, but this didn't quite work as well as I had hoped. So I added one low intensity mesh light at 6500K near the ceiling (a plane), and one additional mesh light (plane) at 4500K to the left - above - and in front of the figure for mood, and to provide the proper specular highlights on the figure/cloths. And finally a small mesh "rim" light (plane) slightly above and behind G2F.

The Spell Ball was took a bit of fiddling to figure out and get right (and of course it needs editing if you change the lighting much). The base model and texture map is from Shadowcaster Spellribbons available here (was PC a freebie years ago) which has a round plane enclosed by two spheres. I set it up with a fairly complex shader combination of SSS for volumetrics and emitters for the spheres to give it a "plasma glow" effect (Octane Mix materials with Specular and Diffuse or Glossy and Diffuse). The plane in the center used a blackbody emitter to give it a light glow as well.

There is no post work on the image other than just a touch of adjustment to the levels, down-sampling the image, and adding the sig.

Hope all this makes some sense!!

• Bunyip02Bunyip02 Posts: 7,613
    edited December 1969

bigh said:
    head wax said:

so you are in South Africa ?
    and xmas sales start Dec 1 ?

Hello Bigh

Wrong continent - try a bit to the East of Africa. :-)
    (Not too far East - Kiwi's call us West Islanders) ;-P

Hello Headwax

Excellent work, hope it get's you heap's more work as well !!!!!

Newcastle_NSW.png
    710 x 476 - 124K
This discussion has been closed.