Mini Cooper S car model

Hopefully I'm posting this in the correct section.

I'm looking for a model of a Mini Cooper S car. I don't mind purchasing the model, if it isn't too expensive. I don't know much about the third-party websites, as I do my shopping on Rendo and Daz, so I don't know what legitimate sites to start looking at for a Mini.

I found two posts in another thread on the forum (https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/31276/car-and-bike-lovers-thread-mark-iii/p24) that shows renders of Mini Coopers, but I don't know where the cars were sourced from or even if they're even still available.

Any help would be appreciated!

Comments

• AscaniaAscania Posts: 1,838

You could just send a PM to the poster and ask him.

http://www.dmi-3d.net/modelscar4.html

• HaruchaiHaruchai Posts: 1,884
    edited November 2021

Well, if you've ever owned a recentish copy of Poser one of the free models is a convertible version of the mini and it has a sport version..

Post edited by Haruchai on
  • @Haruchai : see your PM's

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,561
    edited November 2021

...it's too bad none of the models of the "original" Mini Cooper are in .obj format. Most are in MAX format which is proprietary to 3DS and the others in formats that require conversion and remapping in a modelling programme. Yeah I know there is one in the store here.  I have it, but there are mesh issues which cannot be solved by simple means such as ngons and poor smoothing of curve areas (such as the wheel wells and tyres) which show up in the final render even in medium shots 

Post edited by kyoto kid on
  • FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,553

kyoto kid said:

...it's too bad none of the models of the "original" Mini Cooper are in .obj format. Most are in MAX format which is proprietary to 3DS and the others in formats that require conversion and remapping in a modelling programme. Yeah I know there is one in the store here.  I have it, but there are mesh issues which cannot be solved by simple means such as ngons and poor smoothing of curve areas (such as the wheel wells and tyres) which show up in the final render even in medium shots 

Which ones on the page are the "original"?

...going from left to right: the first, sixth, tenth, twelfth, thirteenth, sixteenth, and eighteenth. All are either .lwo, .c4d, .MAX, .or 3ds/.gsm. none of which import to Daz.

• FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,553
    edited November 2021

kyoto kid said:

...going from left to right: the first, sixth, tenth, twelfth, thirteenth, sixteenth, and eighteenth. All are either .lwo, .c4d, .MAX, .or 3ds/.gsm. none of which import to Daz.

Gotcha. Wanted to try one out and picked the last one. it takes you to achive3D and actually has an OBJ format included, so I didn't have to convert it. Pretty basic model and it is UVMapped. here it is after a few minutes of slapping some shaders on it.Should work ok for a scene with a background cooper in it

cooper.jpg
    1481 x 849 - 1M
    Post edited by FSMCDesigns on

...didn't realise that.  However, what's going on in the interior there? Looks like a bunch of straps crisscrossing in the rear seat area. 

• GordigGordig Posts: 9,121

Also, there don't appear to be any seats.

• Ghosty12Ghosty12 Posts: 1,979
    edited November 2021

If you have an older copy of Poser before version 11, there was/is an included fully working Mini as part of the package..

Post edited by Ghosty12 on
  • PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 9,420

The 'straps' are a rollgage, not seeing seats from this angle would be normal as the seats didn't have headrests back then, but the rollgage would need bucket seats. 

edited November 2021

...I actually found another which is a ,obj. which interestingly it is the same one shown as being in C4D format.  It lacks textrures but that isn't as difficult to deal with as trying to convert form another format. I need one that is "showroom stock" without the rollbars.

Ghosty12 said:

If you have an older copy of Poser before version 11, there was/is an included fully working Mini as part of the package..

...I do have Poser 8, just not installed.

Post edited by kyoto kid on
    edited November 2021

kyoto kid said:

...I actually found another which is a ,obj. which interestingly it is the same one shown as being in C4D format.  It lacks textrures but that isn't as difficult to deal with as trying to convert form another format. I need one that is "showroom stock" without the rollbars.

Ghosty12 said:

...I do have Poser 8, just not installed.

It is well worth installing Poser just to get the model.. Here is what it looked like I did fancy it up for iRay and it comes out really well..  The one thing is this model was removed in Poser 11 which is a shame..

Car From Poser.jpg
    1000 x 600 - 483K

...nice. need both the original 1960s and current one for some of my story illutrations.

• HaruchaiHaruchai Posts: 1,884

Charlie Judge said:

@Haruchai : see your PM's

Responded thanks (and edited my post)

There is one at the other place made by Truform, the product is called Small Car and is a Mini Cooper S hard top type model..

• McGyverMcGyver Posts: 7,005
    edited November 2021

In regards to converting the models available from DMI...

If you have Blender, there is this script to import Lightwave files... https://developer.blender.org/T23623 
    I haven't tried it because I haven't needed to convert a LWO file in years... in general Blender is great for converting lots of formats to OBJ.

If you have Ultimate Unwrap 3D, it can convert LWO files (and tons of other formats including SKP)... 

I vaguely remember converting a couple of emergency vehicles from DMI years ago, probably using PoseRay https://sites.google.com/site/poseray/ 
    It worked pretty well... but that's a pretty roundabout way...

There also used to be a pretty good mesh conversation program that was good for converting Lightwave files (plus lots of others), like the ones on DMI's website, I thought it was Meshworks, but that doesn't seem to be the case... I'm pretty sure it had "Mesh" in its name... whenever you'd Google it, the thumbnail that would show up was a bust of Mozart on a blue background... if anyone remembers what the hell that program was I'd sure be happy to know, just to settle my brain... I just spent a half hour trying to find it to no avail because Google is so polluted with garbage results.

As mentioned previously, there is no effective way of converting MAX files other than to purchase 3DS MAX.

Lastly there is this thread if it's any help... https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/50386/how-to-get-dmi-cars-lwo-format-into-daz-4-7-easy-way

Good Luck.

Post edited by McGyver on

...don't have Ultimate Unwrap 3D (60$)and could never get Poseray to work correctly.  When I converted a European Bus to OBJ I not only lost the mapping, but it was broken own into long list of small meshes starting with mesh 001, 002, 003.....and so on.

• Thanks everyone for the input.

I have some versions of Poser before 11, PP2014, PP2012 and PP2010, but I've uninstalled PP2014 because it no longer works for me because Adobe Flash was nixed. Looking at the model of the POser car someone was kind enough to post, I can see it isn't exactly what I'm looking for, so I don't need to fight with Poser.

The DMI link might be the way to go. Though I don't own MAX, I know someone who does and if they can open the files, they should be able to export out an OBJ for me.

I'll try sending a PM to the original person in the other thread. I didn't think of doing that first because as far as I knew, the PM system on the forum was still screwy. I haven't been able to send PMs before because the pages just keep looping when I try and view another's profile page.

Thanks again!

ObscuroArcanum said:

Thanks everyone for the input.

I have some versions of Poser before 11, PP2014, PP2012 and PP2010, but I've uninstalled PP2014 because it no longer works for me because Adobe Flash was nixed. Looking at the model of the POser car someone was kind enough to post, I can see it isn't exactly what I'm looking for, so I don't need to fight with Poser.

The DMI link might be the way to go. Though I don't own MAX, I know someone who does and if they can open the files, they should be able to export out an OBJ for me.

I'll try sending a PM to the original person in the other thread. I didn't think of doing that first because as far as I knew, the PM system on the forum was still screwy. I haven't been able to send PMs before because the pages just keep looping when I try and view another's profile page.

Thanks again!

I did find a help guide to fix Poser Pro 2014's library issue was just a couple of number changes in the Poser.ini file.. As for the car if looking for an older 1960's/1970's era model, there seems to be very little in the way of free models that are fully rigged.. Most are just a single static prop, while others cost an arm and leg to buy..

edited November 2021

I figured out what that program was that I was trying to remember the name of... it's MeshLab... but apparently it doesn't convert LWO...

just these... 

• import:PLY, STL, OFF, OBJ, 3DS, COLLADA, PTX, V3D, PTS, APTS, XYZ, GTS, TRI, ASC, X3D, X3DV, VRML, ALN
    • export:PLY, STL, OFF, OBJ, 3DS, COLLADA, VRML, DXF, GTS, U3D, IDTF, X3D

It's open source software that's good for Point Cloud to 3D mesh conversation,decimation, hole filling and "mesh optimization" too... well actually that's primarily what it's for.

If anyone needs something like that, it's here...   https://www.meshlab.net/#references

I remember using an older version years ago to convert some VRML meshes to OBJ... it seemed to work pretty well, but they could have been cooperative meshes to begin with.

Post edited by McGyver on

kyoto kid said:

...don't have Ultimate Unwrap 3D (60$)and could never get Poseray to work correctly.  When I converted a European Bus to OBJ I not only lost the mapping, but it was broken own into long list of small meshes starting with mesh 001, 002, 003.....and so on.

I forgot that Wings3D also can import LWO files (and export OBJ)... http://www.wings3d.com/

I haven't tried using it for that yet, but it's free and probably worth checking out if you need to convert an LWO file.

• I know someone already posted this about TruForm's small car so I've linked it if anyone is interested.

https://www.renderosity.com/rr/mod/bcs/small-car/109855/

• Ghosty12 said:

ObscuroArcanum said:

Thanks again!

I did find a help guide to fix Poser Pro 2014's library issue was just a couple of number changes in the Poser.ini file.. As for the car if looking for an older 1960's/1970's era model, there seems to be very little in the way of free models that are fully rigged.. Most are just a single static prop, while others cost an arm and leg to buy..

Hey, this is definitely some good news if the problem with the Poser library is fixable! Thanks for the heads-up! I'll start looking around online tomorrow for a solution.

As for the style of Mini I'm after, it's more of the modern Mini S. I wouldn't mind paying for the model, but yeah, the arm and leg prices are a bit too expensive for me for just a single model that I wouldn't use beyond a few projects. Considering the options available and the limitations of free models that require something specific to export it to a standard OBJ file, TruForm's Mini looks good for my purposes. Not the same as the models that first caught my eye in the car thread in my opening post (I've PM'd the two users in question, but no reply from them yet) but still good.

Thanks again for the input from everyone. :)

edited November 2021

ObscuroArcanum said:

Ghosty12 said:

ObscuroArcanum said:

Thanks again!

Hey, this is definitely some good news if the problem with the Poser library is fixable! Thanks for the heads-up! I'll start looking around online tomorrow for a solution.

As for the style of Mini I'm after, it's more of the modern Mini S. I wouldn't mind paying for the model, but yeah, the arm and leg prices are a bit too expensive for me for just a single model that I wouldn't use beyond a few projects. Considering the options available and the limitations of free models that require something specific to export it to a standard OBJ file, TruForm's Mini looks good for my purposes. Not the same as the models that first caught my eye in the car thread in my opening post (I've PM'd the two users in question, but no reply from them yet) but still good.

Thanks again for the input from everyone. :)

No worries glad to help with that, here is the link I found on how to fix the library issue.. smiley https://www.posersoftware.com/article/499/how-to-fix-your-runtime-now-that-adobe-flash-has-reached-end-of-life The better to understand fix (for me anyway) is option 2..

On the cars bit yeah the one by Truform is good thinking about getting it myself, they do make good 3D models..