Do you make custom characters?

Comments

• AllenArtAllenArt Posts: 7,140

takezo_3001 said:

AllenArt said:

Moyra - partner of The Wanderer. She's not as old as she looks - she's just had a fair rough few years.

I love how the hair turned out on this one....lol.

Eh, she looks about 25! wink I do love the eye area details!

Thank you. I was going for a really, really tired look ;). LOL 

• MelissaGT said:

Most of what I do is all custom characters. I do a lot of fanart, so I try to recreate NPC's with my own interpretation, or my player characters - 

Rosawyn (my player character from The Lord of the Rings Online) - 

Lelu (my player character from Star Wars: The Old Republic) - 

Gloriana (my player character from Star Wars: The Old Republic)

Razi'ilziveri aka Raz (my player character from Star Wars: The Old Republic) - 

Braham (NPC from Guild Wars 2) - 

Frida (my player character from Guild Wars 2) - 

Geralt (my interpretation which was trying to bring together Geralt from the show and Geralt from the games) - 

Theron (NPC from Star Wars: The Old Republic) - 

Your artwork really is next level!  I saw your Andronikos Revel fanart over on DeviantArt and was all, "OMG!  Finally some Revel love! Hashtag Follow! " Lol.

Your postwork is phenomenal.  The skin tones just seem to glow and are so vibrant!  And your use of backgrounds really gives a sense of depth and wonder!

Have you ever thought about doing postwork tutorials?

*first in line with cash in hand*  

• WinterMoonWinterMoon Posts: 1,893

I... I do things like this. surprise That's Aylatani.

And this is Edgar. His relationship with Aylatani is complex. Depending on which parallell timeline they're in, he's either her ridiculous arch-enemy or her eternal love.

Lilo, a half-alien girl from the same story. She's Aylatani's step-granddaughter.

Lilo's Mom, the emperor-queen Contessa Zorina of Yeonide. 

Anna Riley and Elena Lochlin, from an urban fantasy story I've been working(?) on since I was literally 12. Anna's a later addition to it, though. She was added around ten years later.

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,514

..oe I put together for a fellow member's birthday

Leela and her "posse"

Leela and the girls.jpg
    1200 x 900 - 419K
  • LinwellyLinwelly Posts: 5,780

AllenArt said:

takezo_3001 said:

AllenArt said:

Moyra - partner of The Wanderer. She's not as old as she looks - she's just had a fair rough few years.

I've been trying to mix several hairs together but I rarely get good results, this motivates me to try again

Linwelly said:

AllenArt said:

takezo_3001 said:

AllenArt said:

I've been trying to mix several hairs together but I rarely get good results, this motivates me to try again

I get more misses than hits...lol. Sometimes it works out tho ;). 

• wow so many great characters here. I didn't expect these. 

• MelissaGTMelissaGT Posts: 2,602

Write Idea said:

MelissaGT said:

Most of what I do is all custom characters. I do a lot of fanart, so I try to recreate NPC's with my own interpretation, or my player characters - 

Rosawyn (my player character from The Lord of the Rings Online) - 

Lelu (my player character from Star Wars: The Old Republic) - 

Gloriana (my player character from Star Wars: The Old Republic)

Razi'ilziveri aka Raz (my player character from Star Wars: The Old Republic) - 

Braham (NPC from Guild Wars 2) - 

Frida (my player character from Guild Wars 2) - 

Geralt (my interpretation which was trying to bring together Geralt from the show and Geralt from the games) - 

Theron (NPC from Star Wars: The Old Republic) - 

Your artwork really is next level!  I saw your Andronikos Revel fanart over on DeviantArt and was all, "OMG!  Finally some Revel love! Hashtag Follow! " Lol.

Your postwork is phenomenal.  The skin tones just seem to glow and are so vibrant!  And your use of backgrounds really gives a sense of depth and wonder!

Have you ever thought about doing postwork tutorials?

*first in line with cash in hand*  

Haha, Andronikos and Theron are two of my favorite love interests in SWTOR (next to Scourge). I even started writing a big fanfic about them and my Sith Inquisitor (Lelu, also pictured above), that I sadly never finished because I was chased away by the toxic fandom. 

And thank you! It took me a long time to figure out what look I was going for in terms of postwork but I think I've finally gotten to a place where I'm very happy with my style, though I'm always learning and trying new stuff.  

edited November 2021

cimenroller2 said:

wow so many great characters here. I didn't expect these. 

There are some really talented (and imaginative) people on the site :). Not everyone gets to the gallery to see just how talented. :) 

Post edited by AllenArt on
  • LotharenLotharen Posts: 282

Those are some amazing custom characters! I have a question, how does one make a custome character? I would love to do this but have no idea where to begin. Is it a morph? how do you apply it, ect. Anyone have link for those of us that would love to give it a try?

edited November 2021

Lotharen said:

Those are some amazing custom characters! I have a question, how does one make a custome character? I would love to do this but have no idea where to begin. Is it a morph? how do you apply it, ect. Anyone have link for those of us that would love to give it a try?

I just make mine from dial spinning available morphs that I've got - both character morphs and individual part morphs. I also kitbash clothes and use whatever skin strikes my fancy at the time ;). Once in a great I'll make a custom morph in Hexagon or Blender, but not very often. I have a lot of morphs so I can usually find whatever I'm looking for ;)

AllenArt said

I just make mine from dial spinning available morphs that I've got - both character morphs and individual part morphs. I also kitbash clothes and use whatever skin strikes my fancy at the time ;). Once in a great I'll make a custom morph in Hexagon or Blender, but not very often. I have a lot of morphs so I can usually find whatever I'm looking for ;)

Are you able to save that as a preset or something so you don't loose it?

• Lotharen said:

AllenArt said

Shaping pset will save the shape, Character preset will save shape and materials, Wearables prtset will save the clothes, Scene Subset will save everything

Thank you good sir! :)

edited November 2021

Lotharen said:

AllenArt said

...I save mine as Character presets so I can drop them into any scene as needed. .I also save custom skins I create with Zev0's Skin Bulder as material presets.

Post edited by kyoto kid on

Lotharen said:

AllenArt said

I save a Character preset and a Scene Subset. :) 

• marblemarble Posts: 7,449

I've never really got the hang of all the different presets so I almost always save as a Scene Subset (other than poses and MAT presets).

One thing that I thought I had discovered but not so sure now - how to save a preset including geografts (and the morphs applied to them). I thought the answer was a Properties Preset but I am not sure that does the job either.

• LinwellyLinwelly Posts: 5,780

I mostly save characters as character preset and then with hair and clothing in a Scene Subset, make sure to untick the Environmental Information for the Subset save or else when you load it into an existing scene it will overwrite what you have already prepared for environmental setting

• MelissaGTMelissaGT Posts: 2,602

I'm tweaking my characters constantly, so I save shaping and material presets for the most part. Also different wearables by character depending on the scene. 

• DustRiderDustRider Posts: 2,691

I always make several dial spins on the base character that I use, but typically do a lot of modifications. It's part of the fun for me, to take a character I like, and "improve" it. I also almost always make adjustments to the materials as well to get the look I want, I tend to prefer a bit more stylized look rather than "photorealism".

Obviously, I'm not as talented as everyone who has already posted to the thread, but here are a few of my favorite character creations.

Character baed used was Sahel for G8F

Characters based on Daenestra for G8F and Topsy for G8F 

Character Base used was Madelyn for G3F

Character base used was Gwinelli for G3F

Valissa - I created this character as a request by Maverick1238 on DA for a 3D rendered version of his of his OC Valissa Esteves. Her shape is based on Marieke for G8F with a lot of additional morphs. For her skin I used Rebekah for G8F with a lot of modifications to the shaders.

A character based on Zelara (a lot of shader tweaks and dials spins)

An old one (G3F), but still one of my favorite charactes. Trista is based on Sunny 7, I've used her in several renders.

edited November 2021

Fun with creature morphs. Most of these are from HFS creature morphs set for G8M. The texture is from some textures for Newt. I don't have Newt, but they work on humans too, so I snatched them ;). I also use Fantasy Skins for the shiny metallic look for the scales.

Laurie

Reptile Guy.jpg
    2000 x 2000 - 384K
  • nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,890

AllenArt said:

Fun with creature morphs. Most of these are from HFS creature morphs set for G8M. The texture is from some textures for Newt. I don't have Newt, but they work on humans too, so I snatched them ;). I also use Fantasy Skins for the shiny metallic look for the scales.

Laurie

awesome

edited November 2021

..I have those for the original Genesis.  Was disappointed they were not updated for G3.

edited November 2021

kyoto kid said:

..I have those for the original Genesis.  Was disappointed they were not updated for G3.

I do have these for G3. G3 and G8. They're not HD tho, which is a real shame.

HFS Shapes for Genesis 3 

..the set I have are the Sci-Fi ones. Those were not released for G3. 

kyoto kid said:

Do you mean the ones from Rendo? Yeah, I wish those would have been made for later generations, but I think they might convert ok since they're not HD. If you have a converter, that is ;) I haven't tried it yet. I tend to use the generation the morphs are for rather than convert them. Path of least resistance LOL

• isidornisidorn Posts: 1,601

This is cousin Charlie. I forgot about him earlier as I don't have him on my current computer. He's probably my most used custom character and dates back to 2015, the year I started with DAZ. Here he is "treasure hunting"...

And another guy from my first year with DAZ

edited November 2021

AllenArt said:

kyoto kid said:

Do you mean the ones from Rendo? Yeah, I wish those would have been made for later generations, but I think they might convert ok since they're not HD. If you have a converter, that is ;) I haven't tried it yet. I tend to use the generation the morphs are for rather than convert them. Path of least resistance LOL

....those are the ones.  They were updated for G8 (and are sold here) but not G3.

The only way to use teh older ones with G3 is to transfers them through GenX 2  however, that further loads G3 down with morphs making it take even longer to load.  Combining extreme Tri-Ax based morphs with the current weight map system can also produce some "interesting" results.

Attached is a scene I did using them iwith G2 Via GenX.

what a view fina dofl.jpg
    1600 x 1200 - 1M
  • charles said:

dtrscbrutal said:

Really cool custom work posted!

I recently morphed a G8.1 version of Jeanette Voerman from Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines.

I wonder how many people noticed she's got two different colored eyes?

I am thrilled that someone did! laugh

Apologies for the slow response.

edited November 2021

More fun with creature morphs. This is G3M. A mixture of character morphs, HFS fantasy shapes, the Daz HD creature morphs, Vascularity, Aging Morphs and 200 Plus morphs. I also used Fantasy Skins for G3 to change their color a bit. I really like the hi-res creature morphs. Too bad they never made them for G8 and I can't convert them to HD.

Laurie

Impish Pair.jpg
    1336 x 1400 - 180K