Do you make custom characters?

Comments

• LinwellyLinwelly Posts: 5,780
    edited November 2021

a very believable Character @marble and yes my creative process is similar choose a base that is approximately what I want to go for, take the skin from a completely different character and the  start tweaking

Post edited by Linwelly on
  • charlescharles Posts: 775

AllenArt said:

My Longlus character. I'm continually tweaking things ;). I redid his nosepiece a bit. Anyway, think I'm done now. LOL He's meant to be half human/half alien. No one seems to know who his father is or where he's from, including Longlus.

That's really cool!

• AllenArtAllenArt Posts: 7,140

charles said:

AllenArt said:

My Longlus character. I'm continually tweaking things ;). I redid his nosepiece a bit. Anyway, think I'm done now. LOL He's meant to be half human/half alien. No one seems to know who his father is or where he's from, including Longlus.

That's really cool!

Linwelly said:

a very believable Character @marble and yes my creative process is similar choose a base that is approximately what I want to go for, take the skin from a completely different character and the  start tweaking

This is my process as well :) It's really easy to get lost just tweaking, isn't it? LOL 

• dtrscbrutaldtrscbrutal Posts: 463
    edited November 2021

Really cool custom work posted!

I recently morphed a G8.1 version of Jeanette Voerman from Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines.

Wishing You A Tasty Halloween.jpg
    1200 x 1350 - 1M
    Post edited by dtrscbrutal on
  • FSMCDesigns said:

JoeQuick said:

There's a lot of inspiring content in this thread so far!

I have to agree! Hopefully this thread will inspire users that don't think outside the box to be more creative and try new things instead of just clicking and rendering premade assets.

I think the reason for that is some have an aversion to experimenting & learning, and it does take a lot of experimenting/rendering to get a basic idea of getting morphs to work together in order to yield something along the lines of what you're trying to get. Most of the fun after buying a character is mixing it with others in varying degrees to develop a base and working various head & body morphs into that base.

Two custom characters I worked on recently attached:

03Char8Mix-2c1.jpg
    1417 x 1491 - 689K
    05AlMix-3c1.jpg
    1417 x 1491 - 684K

Masterstroke said:

charles said:

[...]

But I have the most fun making new sets.

Ooooh, I really do like that average home kitchen. 

Glad you like, here's a few more angles. Still a WIP, haven't finished electrical and cabling.

mom_apartment_a21.png
    1440 x 1080 - 3M
    mom_apartment_a20.png
    1440 x 1080 - 3M
    mom_apartment_a9.png
    1440 x 1080 - 3M
    mom_apartment_a6.png
    1440 x 1080 - 3M

dtrscbrutal said:

Really cool custom work posted!

I recently morphed a G8.1 version of Jeanette Voerman from Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines.

I wonder how many people noticed she's got two different colored eyes?

charles said:

Masterstroke said:

charles said:

[...]

Glad you like, here's a few more angles. Still a WIP, haven't finished electrical and cabling.

VERY cool :) 

edited November 2021

MelissaGT said:

Most of what I do is all custom characters. I do a lot of fanart, so I try to recreate NPC's with my own interpretation, or my player characters - 

Rosawyn (my player character from The Lord of the Rings Online) - 

Lelu (my player character from Star Wars: The Old Republic) - 

Gloriana (my player character from Star Wars: The Old Republic)

Razi'ilziveri aka Raz (my player character from Star Wars: The Old Republic) - 

Braham (NPC from Guild Wars 2) - 

Frida (my player character from Guild Wars 2) - 

Geralt (my interpretation which was trying to bring together Geralt from the show and Geralt from the games) - 

Theron (NPC from Star Wars: The Old Republic) - 

I sure wouldn't mind picking your brain about your post work :b  Your level for detail, composition and camera work is AAA+++.

Post edited by charles on

PixelSploiting said:

Shargad is my favorite custom character. He's made using mostly the Dark Guard HD.

He's rather short.

I almost never use characters without kitbashing. Or at least slightly adjusting them.

A girl and her mom:

Orcs. Men and women made to look like they belong to the same species:

Same with goblins:

Tavari species. It's a young civilization from the outskirts of the third galactic quadrant. Made using Genesis 8 Female.

They look a little plain but this base morph leaves some room for different face/body types.

I never remember what sliders and textures were used for what. Material presets and ERC freezes do this for me.

One trick I use sometimes is to export my morphed character as an OBJ in base resolution. Then bring that back in to a new base character using Morph Load Pro and that creates a single slider for it. It's not going to keep the HD stuff though. I also save my characters as a sub scene and character preset, and I save them in stages in case I feel like I've gone wrong at some point and want to roll back to an earlier version. 

richardandtracy said:

A few. But I use one more than any other. The image below was created when trying to test out hair colour and skin shading - and comparing them to see all in one image.

Regards,

Richard

Are those based on Madarocsi's skins? 

edited November 2021

The final on my other character. Time to start a new one :)

The Wanderer.

The Wanderer.jpg
    1200 x 1200 - 1M
    Post edited by AllenArt on
  • kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,517

magog_a4eb71ab said:

FSMCDesigns said:

JoeQuick said:

There's a lot of inspiring content in this thread so far!

I have to agree! Hopefully this thread will inspire users that don't think outside the box to be more creative and try new things instead of just clicking and rendering premade assets.

I think the reason for that is some have an aversion to experimenting & learning, and it does take a lot of experimenting/rendering to get a basic idea of getting morphs to work together in order to yield something along the lines of what you're trying to get. Most of the fun after buying a character is mixing it with others in varying degrees to develop a base and working various head & body morphs into that base.

Two custom characters I worked on recently attached:

...I've been experimenting since the Gen4 days. Turned 4'10" Vicky4 into an 7, 10, and 13, year old.  Wasn't easy as there was no "mixing" of shapes, morphs, & such like we have today and it took me a couple months of trial and error as well as researching age proportion charts and scaling of limb and torso regions until I finally got viable results (so the characters didn't look like miniaturised versions of V4).  At the time there were no Gen4 child or young teen characters. 

When Genesis appeared it felt a bit like cheating and after Zev0 released the Growing up Morphs, it made it seem far too easy.

• LinwellyLinwelly Posts: 5,780

charles said:

Masterstroke said:

charles said:

[...]

this looks like a real place where people are living, not the usual  IKEA catalogue rooms. Would you mind sharing some of your examples over at the New Users Challenge as inspiration, maybe add some of you processes there?

• charles said:

richardandtracy said:

A few. But I use one more than any other. The image below was created when trying to test out hair colour and skin shading - and comparing them to see all in one image.

Regards,

Richard

No, they aren't. Darkened versions of CB Guilia with a couple of hue tweaks too. Also the central one has an emissivity of -1500 cd/m^2 to  emphasise skin-skin AO.

Biggest problem with these is CB Guilia's buttock-leg crease is baked into the texture and doesn't align with the bottom of this character's buttock. Means she needs to be modestly clothed at all times, which, in practice, is no great hardship. I really like the slightly reddened patches on the knees, just where people get them.

Regards,

Richard.

• MelissaGTMelissaGT Posts: 2,603

charles said:

MelissaGT said:

Most of what I do is all custom characters. I do a lot of fanart, so I try to recreate NPC's with my own interpretation, or my player characters - 

Geralt (my interpretation which was trying to bring together Geralt from the show and Geralt from the games) - 

I sure wouldn't mind picking your brain about your post work :b  Your level for detail, composition and camera work is AAA+++.

Aww thank you! It took me a while to develop my own sense of styling for post-work, but I think I'm finally happy with it! I'm always trying new things and learning as I go.  

richardandtracy said:

charles said:

richardandtracy said:

Regards,

Richard

No, they aren't. Darkened versions of CB Guilia with a couple of hue tweaks too. Also the central one has an emissivity of -1500 cd/m^2 to  emphasise skin-skin AO.

Biggest problem with these is CB Guilia's buttock-leg crease is baked into the texture and doesn't align with the bottom of this character's buttock. Means she needs to be modestly clothed at all times, which, in practice, is no great hardship. I really like the slightly reddened patches on the knees, just where people get them.

Regards,

Richard.

The other skin artist does that thing with the legs and knees is why I thought it might be. I think I know what you mean about that bottom rear thing and have some tricks I've had to use taking it out of other characters, similar to removing painted on eyebrows.

• BandoriFanBandoriFan Posts: 364
    edited November 2021

I'll post more too 

The girl from earlier's big sister. The Tentman Wrap skirt is one of my favorites and even the buttons have their own material zones! I used Metalworx shaders on the buttons and Exotic Leather Presets 3 on the skirt and adjusted the dual lobe settings. I just had to use a purple rimlight since it was just too cool

Here I used an HFS Ultimate Shape morph and a Bullwarg alternate skin 

I really love making custom characters with Aura as a start

This one was a test but I might use the character more. I used a silk texture over the skirt from the Cute Clothes set from Sue Yee

Hatsumomo with a middle schooler morph used on her. Hatsumomo is a great character. Default Hatsumomo is surprisingly very tall and has a great face. And Stepanida is another favorite of mine but those might not be modified enough by me to really count as custom 

Post edited by BandoriFan on
  • For myself, custom characters were always the point of Daz... to the point of it is now the most 'fun' part of my hobby :-)  (Although sometimes my family might be forgiven for thinking it's the labrinthine shopping rituals...)

I love creating new people (there are many, I won't bore anyone) and creatures out of bits and pieces.  A skin here, a tail there... it's very satisfying.  The only ones I've ever used 'out-of-the-box' are some of the animal figures where there are less options for alteration, which is incredibly frustrating sometimes.  I usually spend more time on making a new character 'just so' than I do on any other part of the process, which is probably counter-productive, but deeply satisfying.

• Sometimes, I do it to learn how things work. Customize character, mess with the skins, see what you can do.

Rosa Maria plus dial spins, then makeup converted from Alawa 8's diffuse overlays to fit the way the Makeup channel works in the new PBR shader, plus G8M clothing (dforce Elite Commander).

I like fitting G8M to G8F, and sometimes G8F to G8M. I really appreciate the diffuse overlay makeups in G8F, but the new PBR uses a different setup that is not as flexible... or, at least they are doing more foundation work with the makeup so it's harder to adapt to other texture sets unless the underlying skin is a similar shade (or you drop into a photoeditor to match the shade that way).

• takezo_3001takezo_3001 Posts: 1,914

kyoto kid said:

...my best is my little Leela here she is at 6, 9, and 19.

...bugger been having issues all day with bad gateway and gateway timeout errors messing things up just had ahd a couple back to back.trying to post this.

You're one of the few people that do gingers right!

MelissaGT said:

My god these are magnificent, tell me you're a PA, and if not, why aren't you a PA!?

• DustRiderDustRider Posts: 2,691

takezo_3001 said:

MelissaGT said:

My god these are magnificent, tell me you're a PA, and if not, why aren't you a PA!?

+1 - As always, some really amazing work!! 

• MelissaGTMelissaGT Posts: 2,603
    edited November 2021

takezo_3001 said:

MelissaGT said:

Thanks! I have considered trying my hand at making a few characters to sell.  

Post edited by MelissaGT on
  • PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 9,296

takezo_3001 said:

kyoto kid said:

...bugger been having issues all day with bad gateway and gateway timeout errors messing things up just had ahd a couple back to back.trying to post this.

Most of mine end up gingers too. 

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,517
    edited November 2021

takezo_3001 said:

kyoto kid said:

...thank you. 

Lots of study and had a very good friend who was one long ago.

I almost exclusively use Zev0's Skin Builder Pro/3, Slosh's UHT 2 Ultimate Color and N.G.S. Anagenessis 2 - Revolution as part of my character development process. .

Post edited by kyoto kid on
    edited November 2021

Moyra - partner of The Wanderer. She's not as old as she looks - she's just had a fair rough few years.

I love how the hair turned out on this one....lol. It's a combo of Linday's Warrior Wet Hair for G3M, AprilYSH Stella Hair for G8F and one braid from Matari3D's Corn Row Hair for G8M. Backlight Shaders from ChevyBabe25

Moyra Hair Final.jpg
    1200 x 1200 - 1M
    Post edited by AllenArt on
  • GordigGordig Posts: 9,034

I mostly use characters out-of-box, because I don't really do portraits and my renders are almost all one-offs (mostly jokes), and the story being told in the render is more important to me than making a unique character. When I started world-building for a potential fantasy VN, I did put some customization into my characters:

Valea

Turuun

Giral

Juzo

Sekuto

Vaxan

Elef

Utarn

Sidron

Barotsu

Mawasi

Yamowe

AllenArt said:

Moyra - partner of The Wanderer. She's not as old as she looks - she's just had a fair rough few years.

I love how the hair turned out on this one....lol.

Eh, she looks about 25! wink I do love the eye area details!