November 2021 - Daz 3D New User Challenge - Materials and next level kitbashing

LinwellyLinwelly Posts: 5,780

New User's Challenge – November, 2021

Are you new to the 3D World? Are you at the beginning stages of learning 3D rendering? Have you been around for a little bit but feel you could benefit from some feedback or instruction? Have you been around a while and would like to help other members start their creative journey? Well then come and join the fun as we host our newest challenge.

We continue breaking down each month into 2 different challenges. A Beginner Challenge and then also an Intermediate Challenge.

So which "Challenge" should you choose?

Follow the Beginner Challenge if you are:

• New to the New User Challenges
  • New to Daz Studio
  • Newer to 3D Rendering in General

Follow the Intermediate Challenge if you have:

• Participated in the New User Challenge for awhile
  • Know the basics of Daz Studio and would like to learn more in depth topics
  • Been using 3D Rendering Applications for awhile and feel comfortable with learning Intermediate Topics

*Please be sure to list in your post which Challenge level you are participating in*

Closing date for both is November 30, 2021

For a list of the current challenge rules, please see this thread: Challenge Rules

They apply for both versions of the challenge.

Post edited by Linwelly on

Comments

• LinwellyLinwelly Posts: 5,780
    edited November 2021

From shiny polished gems to rough bark, from silk to leather

Beginner - "Materials"

This month's focus will be on Materials and Surfaces. One of the most important aspects of a great render is the effective use of materials. Effective surface settings can add realism, style, and visual interest to an image. This month we will be concentrating on how to create and manipulate the surfaces on the objects in your scene.

Also, keep in mind all the various items covered over the past several months. They will affect the way your materials look in your final rendered scene.

previous challenges on this topic:

November 2017

November 2018

November 2019

November 2020

Helpful Links:

When following tutorials, be cognizant of the different applications (Bryce, Daz Studio, Poser, Carrara and Blender, etc.) and different render engines (3Delight, Iray, Reality, etc). Techniques for one may not apply directly to another. If you have some favorite Materials, Surfaces, and Shader tips, please share them in this thread.

Daz Studio Tutorials:

Daz 101: Surfaces by Daz 3D (video)
    Iray Surfaces and What They Mean by Sickleyield
    The Iray Uber Base Shader by Daz 3D (video)
    Daz 3D Tutorial: Make anything a light source by Daz 3D (video)

Daz 3D Tutorial: Using bump and displacement maps by Daz 3D (video)

Bryce Tutorials:

Scroll down to the Materials section by Daz 3D

Other helpful places:

3Delight - Uberenvironment made easy!

this is more in depth and experimental for the 3delight renderer: 3Delight Laboratory Thread: tips, questions, experiments

Mix clothing and props, retexture, and make it look as one again

Intermediate Challenge  - next level kitbashing

So you already know how to change shader presets, and give your character a sweat sheen but you want to combine different outfits and make them look as one? you want this tag on the shirt or a hole in that door? Then this challenge is for you

some parts of this challenge are easier when using an image manipulation program like Gimp or Photoshop to prepare the new texture

The tools you might want to use are geometry editor and Layered image editor (LIE). Understanding UV maps will help you with the more advanced use of materials and surfaces

geometry editor tutorial

Beginners guide to Daz Studio Layered Image Editor

DAZ : LIE Quick How To

DAZ Studio Tutorial - Layered Image Editor - Make your own Tattoos (nudity)

Tutorial: Adding Surfaces and Striped Texture to a T-Shirt

Daz Studio UV Maps

Fixing UV maps in DAZ Studio (got to say it's not happening in DAZ Studio, its just used in DAZ Studio)

Painting on Uv Maps for Daz, Different ways to add texture/color to figures

Daz 3D Tutorial: Use "cut and paste" functions for Textures in Iray

edited November 2021

waves into the void: hey, you can now come over from the sales page and use all the fancy new stuff you got

• charlescharles Posts: 775
    edited November 2021

Oh I got one, a kit bash, repurposed pants and new materials. Just throwing this out just for fun.

dangle7tc1.png
    1728 x 2160 - 5M
    Post edited by charles on
  • Alias52Alias52 Posts: 283

Haha! Love it! Good start.

• Alewis478Alewis478 Posts: 78
    edited November 2021

Beginner challenge - Materials and Surfaces

I could not figure out a way to give geometry to the skin to use Sub D to make the cracks more 3D.

Water drops are just sphere primitives. I'll likely tweak the color, might look good with some blue. I messed with translucency and diffusion but I didn't see much effect. 

Thirst.jpg
    2560 x 2141 - 1M
    Post edited by Alewis478 on

Alewis478 said:

Beginner challenge - Materials and Surfaces

I could not figure out a way to give geometry to the skin to use Sub D to make the cracks more 3D.

Water drops are just sphere primitives. I'll likely tweak the color, might look good with some blue. I messed with translucency and diffusion but I didn't see much effect. 

that  looks pretty impressive already, I take it you already use a normal map for the cracks? Normal, bump and displacement are the ones that will help define sufaces like this stonger (displacement in iray being the weakest while it does a great deal in 3delight renders) if theres are already used (with bump you can go up to 5 for example) check as well if this surface has a top coat layer, if yes that layer needs the same bump map. you can also try darening the cracks in colour, kaes them looks deeper as well. making real geometry out of this would take a while

@charles I'm getting Police Academy vibes laugh, very nice

• aprilshowers2065aprilshowers2065 Posts: 699
    edited November 2021

Survivor

Intermediate Challenge

First start with my entry. I used the L.I.E. to put dirt on her skin and clothes, as well as the scratches on her hand, the blood on her sword and war paint on her face. Used an opacity map to tear her dress. The belt and wrist wraps came from a different outfit and the fire is taken from the Red Crow Inn fireplace. Still playing around with the design of this, so feedback would be much appreciated!

Survivor.png
    1200 x 1440 - 3M
    Post edited by aprilshowers2065 on

very nice work already @aprilshowers2065 

I really like all the added detail for her and those flames in the ruins look impressive

now we need to see a little more of the heroine, I would suggest to add a strong rim light on her in warm tones (3000- 3500 light temperature) 3000 kmc² and maybe a light blue tinted cold light (moonlight type) from one front side

As well she might need a bit more expression in her stance and face ist she running, ist she ready to fight more, ist she shocked to stillness?

• sueyasueya Posts: 824

This is the first version of my entry for the Intermediate Challenge

I have used three different coloured stone shaders for the Temple along with tiles for the floor.

I have also changed the textures of the woman's outfit using leather for her bodice and boots and velvet for her cape. I have tried to use warm tones throughout to complement the colours of the sky.

I would welcome constructive feeedback.

• katywhitekatywhite Posts: 412
    edited November 2021

Title: Don't Worry - It's Vegan

Software: Daz 3D

Challenge: Intermediate

Made use of geometry editor to create a new surface on the gen 8 male to hide so you just see his head and neck. Also changed the textures on him, and the customer's hair and clothes. Feedback always appreciated!

Dont worry its vegan_edited.jpg
    2000 x 2000 - 1M
    Post edited by katywhite on
  • Like the crazy eye expression of the chef! When you say you "used the geometry editor to create a new surface on the male" were you manipulating the skin? I've been trying to figure out how to add SubD to the skin asset.
  • sueya said:

I have used three different coloured stone shaders for the Temple along with tiles for the floor.

I have also changed the textures of the woman's outfit using leather for her bodice and boots and velvet for her cape. I have tried to use warm tones throughout to complement the colours of the sky.

I think the work you did with the materials turned out great! I'd maybe play around with the lighting a bit?
  • Thanks for the suggestions, @Linwelly. I've adjusted her expression slightly and added a rim light behind her, as well as a 'moonlight' beam from the front. I tried two different intensities for the rim light; I think the brighter one looks more dramatic, but the other looks more realistic. Would like to hear which you think is better smiley

Survivor4.png
    1500 x 1800 - 5M
    Survivor3.png
    1500 x 1800 - 5M

sueya said:

nice use of the stone shaders and the colour scheme, now what is the lady doing at the temple? is she prying to her gods or robbing the temple gold, or something else entirely? let us know a bit of story with some props (chalice candles?) and her pose in context

katywhite said:

Made use of geometry editor to create a new surface on the gen 8 male to hide so you just see his head and neck. Also changed the textures on him, and the customer's hair and clothes. Feedback always appreciated!

haha, very good, I like what you did so far and it's a brilliant idea, the expressions are great!

you could work a little on the hand of the cook holding the plate and try to fix the cooks hat more closely to her head, maybe try to make a poster on the wall yourself with the declaration all vegan meals, or something? Add a drink to this?

aprilshowers2065 said:

Thanks for the suggestions, @Linwelly. I've adjusted her expression slightly and added a rim light behind her, as well as a 'moonlight' beam from the front. I tried two different intensities for the rim light; I think the brighter one looks more dramatic, but the other looks more realistic. Would like to hear which you think is better smiley

I would definitely go for the stronger rim light and maybe move it even a bit further up and to one side so it lights up more her hair and a tiny fraction of her face and shoulder, because that's weher you would want the attention of the viewer, maybe try as well experimenting with the camera angle.

edited November 2021

Linwelly said:

@charles I'm getting Police Academy vibes laugh, very nice

Oh you date yourself with that one! But it's suppose to be Reno 911. LOL It's all good.

edited November 2021

aprilshowers2065 said:

Survivor

Intermediate Challenge

First start with my entry. I used the L.I.E. to put dirt on her skin and clothes, as well as the scratches on her hand, the blood on her sword and war paint on her face. Used an opacity map to tear her dress. The belt and wrist wraps came from a different outfit and the fire is taken from the Red Crow Inn fireplace. Still playing around with the design of this, so feedback would be much appreciated!

Light up the character some more, some rim lighting from the fire would be great and maybe atmospheric from the moon. If you got it, add a volume fog and play with the SSS levels to where it's not overly foggy, but a hint from smoke from the fire, this will also give you slight godray effects from your light sources. If you do add backlighting from the fire you can play with a transparent hair ends hair blend (I have some if you ask I'll post) which will soften up the hair letting light come through more at the ends.  I'ld also work on the ground some, it looks really flat but you see rocks and grass. Maybe see if it has a normal and height map and up those. Check the foot, is that right? I have no idea what she's holding in her left hand. Overall cool concept image.

• Here's the character that I'm thinking of using this month. I've used parts 4 differant outfits that have been retextured to create his armor.

Some more work on the textures are needed and I'm going to need to figure out a setting for him, but it's a start.

nov2021-character.png
    509 x 720 - 169K

@charles LOL I guess I do, I actually had to look up what Reno 911 is blush so yeah me's a bit outdated  laugh

Shinji Ikari 9th said:

Here's the character that I'm thinking of using this month. I've used parts 4 differant outfits that have been retextured to create his armor.

Some more work on the textures are needed and I'm going to need to figure out a setting for him, but it's a start.

looking good Shinji I esp like that despite the fact that it's pieced together it looks like it belongs together

• sueyasueya Posts: 824

Temple Thief - version 2

Thanks @Linwelly for your suggestions. I decide to go with the idea of the lady coming to the temple to rob the gold. I have added a chalice, bowl and candlestick and changed the lighting so that the light falls on the treasures. The change in lighting also shows the dragon tattoo on her arm.

edited November 2021

Thanks @charles and @Linwelly. The item she has in her left hand is a short helmet @charles laugh I've changed the camera angle slightly and adjusted the backlighting. I tried adding volumetric smoke, but it ended up making the sky look funny so I added a black smoke prop instead. I've increased the bump and normal maps for the ground, but I'm not sure that made much of a difference.

Survivor10.png
    1500 x 1800 - 5M

I would like to recommend this thread to all of you as something really inspirational and creative:

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/530456/do-you-make-custom-characters/p1

• Gave my character a scene to inhabit.

nov2021a.png
    509 x 720 - 478K
    edited December 2021

Linwelly said:

katywhite said:

haha, very good, I like what you did so far and it's a brilliant idea, the expressions are great!

you could work a little on the hand of the cook holding the plate and try to fix the cooks hat more closely to her head, maybe try to make a poster on the wall yourself with the declaration all vegan meals, or something? Add a drink to this?

Thank you for all the feedback! Attached is my revised version :)

Dont worry it is Vegan REDO_edited.png
    2000 x 2000 - 7M
    edited November 2021

Admiring Her Collection

Intermediate Challenge, 2nd Entry

Combined the snakes with a wig and used a few different character morphs to create the gorgon, then used a stone shader to create the statues. Feedback appreciated laugh

Admiring Her Collection3.png
    1667 x 2000 - 5M
    edited November 2021

Title: I don't like how he's looking at us

Entry 2! Feedback is welcome

I dont like how hes looking at us_edited.png
    2000 x 2000 - 7M