Do you make custom characters?

AllenArtAllenArt Posts: 7,140
edited November 2021 in The Commons

What are your favorite custom characters? I really like this one (called The Wanderer - intended for scifi and post-apocalyptic scenes). Most of my custom characters aren't pretty people because most of the earth is populated with average looking people ;). I like how his skin looks dirty in this one. I used Holt's skin for the base. The clothes are kitbashed and there are so many morphs in the character I couldn't possibly remember them all...lol. Sorry it's so small - my desktop is down and I'll get a render on my laptop this century if I keep the renders small....lol. Still not satisfied with the hair.

What's your favorite custom character?

Post edited by AllenArt on

Comments

• Nice one ... and, yes. I make them ...

• I make so many! Since you asked for only one and it's hard to choose I'll go with this one. I used skin manager on Noemi's skin and OutOfTouch's Gown of Fantasy 2 and mega updo hair and a bunch of different morphs

I don't have just one favorite but love how she turned out 

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,514
    edited November 2021

...my best is my little Leela here she is at 6, 9, and 19.

...bugger been having issues all day with bad gateway and gateway timeout errors messing things up just had ahd a couple back to back.trying to post this.

Leela 6.jpg
    741 x 1200 - 271K
    Happy Young Leela PW.jpg
    817 x 1353 - 388K
    Leela shypw.jpg
    802 x 1322 - 459K
    Post edited by kyoto kid on
  • nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,890

It's something I'll have may to do when I get to the actual publishing stage of a game but no, not really. DAZ & their PAs do a good job of creating a variety of characters. No one can really be called ugly, and no ugly isn't average and being injured and scarred isn't either, sorry; but they can be inflicted with characteristics that make people instictively worried and upset like scars and deformities from disease and injury. The people that have these feeling instictively and politely will seek to hide them and that's fine. After all, who actually wants something like a huge scar running done the side of their face? They clearly didn't ask for it. Those that see it will instictively worry and comment. I know, I've been told by strangers to get myself into the hospital when they saw me outside after just getting released from the hospital from reconstrictive surgery. I good a big laugh out of that but I did feel very appreciative of their concern. LOL, I did check myself in the mirror when I finally got home though as the hospital had none that I could get to. 

• PixelSploitingPixelSploiting Posts: 871
    edited November 2021

Shargad is my favorite custom character. He's made using mostly the Dark Guard HD.

He's rather short.

I almost never use characters without kitbashing. Or at least slightly adjusting them.

A girl and her mom:

Orcs. Men and women made to look like they belong to the same species:

Same with goblins:

Tavari species. It's a young civilization from the outskirts of the third galactic quadrant. Made using Genesis 8 Female.

They look a little plain but this base morph leaves some room for different face/body types.

I never remember what sliders and textures were used for what. Material presets and ERC freezes do this for me.

Post edited by PixelSploiting on
  • FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,518

All the time. I never use a character out of the box, be it a core character or a PA one, especially the body morph. Every character i purchase is just another addition to the gene pool

• MelissaGTMelissaGT Posts: 2,602
    edited November 2021

Most of what I do is all custom characters. I do a lot of fanart, so I try to recreate NPC's with my own interpretation, or my player characters - 

Rosawyn (my player character from The Lord of the Rings Online) - 

Lelu (my player character from Star Wars: The Old Republic) - 

Gloriana (my player character from Star Wars: The Old Republic)

Razi'ilziveri aka Raz (my player character from Star Wars: The Old Republic) - 

Braham (NPC from Guild Wars 2) - 

Frida (my player character from Guild Wars 2) - 

Geralt (my interpretation which was trying to bring together Geralt from the show and Geralt from the games) - 

Theron (NPC from Star Wars: The Old Republic) - 

Post edited by MelissaGT on
  • AllenArtAllenArt Posts: 7,140

Lots of great characters folks :). Keep em coming :D

Laurie

edited November 2021

..speaking of game characterss here's my decker, Violet, from Shadowrun Missions.

Violet.jpg
    849 x 1200 - 370K
    Post edited by kyoto kid on
  • LinwellyLinwelly Posts: 5,780

nice thread, The only character I used out of the box is Lee 6 (well skin adapted to iray by me) everybody else is highly customised

Taiduo07-12 the MC of my graphic novel

her mentor Zhu Xiu

Jishu, a somewhat shady Lady

these are all from the first part, there are a lot more

• charlescharles Posts: 775
    edited November 2021

Do I make new characters? ALL THE TIME!

But I have the most fun making new sets.

a1_cc.png
    1200 x 900 - 2M
    mom_apartment_a15.png
    1440 x 1080 - 3M
    Post edited by charles on
  • A few. But I use one more than any other. The image below was created when trying to test out hair colour and skin shading - and comparing them to see all in one image.

Regards,

Richard

• WonderlandWonderland Posts: 6,693

I only create custom characters. Even when I TRY to render a character "out of the box" to test it, I always make changes.  My "favorite" cuatom character changes every few months although I'm  still kind of partial to the Catwoman character that is my avatar here that was created in Poser & photoshop. 

• iDiruiDiru Posts: 696

I guess it depends on what you call custom characters. I am working on heavy AU fanfic right now so the characters aren't 100% custom because they're based on another character, but they're custom enough I guess.

Here's two of the characters

this one is from another fanfic i was working on but she never got introduced

I have others but they're from the Poser days and I don't know if I still have the pictures

edited November 2021

iDiru said:

I guess it depends on what you call custom characters. I am working on heavy AU fanfic right now so the characters aren't 100% custom because they're based on another character, but they're custom enough I guess.

Here's two of the characters

this one is from another fanfic i was working on but she never got introduced

I have others but they're from the Poser days and I don't know if I still have the pictures

As far as I'm concerned, as long as you change them from the original, they are custom...lol. I like to mix morphs together and get something no one else has. Sometimes I'll spend all day long just mixing. I'm a weirdo that finds it relaxing. LOL

Great looking characters everyone!! :) 

• The Blurst of TimesThe Blurst of Times Posts: 2,410
    edited November 2021

I like Daz figures... so I blend the heck out of them with other dials LOL.

I find it hard to use base figures as they are. I have a visceral reaction where I don't want to do that. I try to not make them look like themselves.

I've mostly been working in Genesis 3 lately. I don't know why. I just feel like it. Can't be bothered to use figures as they are, even if I like them. Even when they look great in promos, I can never make them look like that, so I make them look like how I want them to look instead.

This G3M figure is loosely based on Leo 7, converted to the new PBR just because, and desaturated to create a feeling of an older photograph. A little Zeppelin action, a little Captain Nemo/Jules Verne going on in this idea.

And then a female figure, just because...

Another Genesis 3 experiment using a Maddelirium figure as the base, PBR conversion, etc.

Post edited by The Blurst of Times on
  • csaacsaa Posts: 805
    edited November 2021

I render scenes with Daz assets for the D&D campaign I run. All of the characters are customized G8 figures. It's certainly worth the effort as my players get a kick out of the images I share.

Cheers!

Post edited by csaa on
  • MimicMollyMimicMolly Posts: 2,093
    edited November 2021

I used to make a lot more custom character when I was actually drawing more regularly, since I needed proper consistent references. Not so much, nowadays. For the sake of this thread, I'll share the character I use for my icon. (Slightly different scene setup because I didn't save it the other time and forgot what I did.) It is supposed to be a G8F version of myself, though the skin is what makes it seem like an idealized portrayal (no acne, etc.) Ideal for "virtual cosplays."

It is also the "character" that taught me that if people see it enough, they subconsciously want to buy it. Some people have sent me messages asking me who she was or where they could get her. (As much as I don't mind sharing my recipes, I don't trust what other users would want it for, since many people's renders tend to be on the kinky side.) Depending on the lights, I alternate between a Mousso skin (Joanna) and a Maelwenn skin (Lydia or Evelyn). The body is Latonya 8 at 100% because it's very close to my proportions, at least based on Measure Metrics. This render and my icon both use a Maelwenn skin. Though nothing is stopping anyone from eyeballing an approximation of it for their own projects. Just know it's based off a real person.

TestingGrounds.jpg
    1200 x 1975 - 343K
    Post edited by MimicMolly on

...part of the reason I primarily stay with G3 (besides budget) is because I can use GenX to bring other shapes and morphs into the "gene pool". I also have the G8 ➨ G3 character converter (both genders) to mix in G8 shapes as well.

• isidornisidorn Posts: 1,601
    edited November 2021

While I often do some minor tweaks it's not enough that I would call it custom characters. I literally have hundreds of characters in my DAZ library and can usually find someone with the look I want for the moment. Also saves me the trouble of naming the character when they already have a name. But if giving a character their own character, so to speak, with clothes, hair, accessories and stuff counts then this would probably be my personal favourite character:

The Preacher

(And yes, she's wearing heels. So sue me!) After looking at the scene file, the base character is Kira HD for G8F by Mousso, pretty much "out of the box". So I don't think it really can qualify as a custom character in that regard.

But I have one character that I've customized quite a lot. Was going to use her in a story, but that has yet to happen and all I got is this presentation shot. The base character is Zelara 8, but after all the changes I did I couldn't call her that anymore. As I couldn't think of a name, I just called her...

The Ambassador

PreacherFullPortrait (2).jpg
    2000 x 2500 - 744K
    Ambassadorswelcome.jpg
    2560 x 1440 - 3M
    Post edited by isidorn on
  • MasterstrokeMasterstroke Posts: 1,756
    edited November 2021

charles said:

[...]

But I have the most fun making new sets.

Ooooh, I really do like that average home kitchen. 

Post edited by Masterstroke on
  • JoeQuickJoeQuick Posts: 1,697

There's a lot of inspiring content in this thread so far!

edited November 2021

Almost human ;)

Almost Human.jpg
    1200 x 1080 - 1M
  • FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,518

JoeQuick said:

I have to agree! Hopefully this thread will inspire users that don't think outside the box to be more creative and try new things instead of just clicking and rendering premade assets.

FSMCDesigns said:

JoeQuick said:

I have to agree! Hopefully this thread will inspire users that don't think outside the box to be more creative and try new things instead of just clicking and rendering premade assets.

yes 

edited November 2021

My Longlus character. I'm continually tweaking things ;). I redid his nosepiece a bit. Anyway, think I'm done now. LOL He's meant to be half human/half alien. No one seems to know who his father is or where he's from, including Longlus.

Longlus Character group.jpg
    2200 x 1980 - 381K
  • LyonessLyoness Posts: 1,606

I love making custom characters too!!
    I wish I had more time to just play with the stuff I have.  Since my runtime drive died, My collection has shrunk by a lot (lost are gifts and things/presets that I made for myself)

I tend to play for a while and never finish and post any pictures

• RedfernRedfern Posts: 1,574

AllenArt said:

My Longlus character. I'm continually tweaking things ;). I redid his nosepiece a bit. Anyway, think I'm done now. LOL He's meant to be half human/half alien. No one seems to know who his father is or where he's from, including Longlus.

I know you have your own plans, but he'd also make a fantastic "Ming the Merciless" from "Flash Gordon"!

• marblemarble Posts: 7,449
    edited November 2021

I don't go in for fantasy figures but I tend to buy characters to use as a base for my own adaptions. Quite often I only buy characters if I like the look of the skin and I also load a character from one PA and apply the skin from another (then start playing with the dials until it looks nothing like either original).

Here's one from today. This is not an artistic render - only  the HDRi for lighting.

OL Dressed.png
    1200 x 1200 - 607K
    OL Head.png
    1200 x 1200 - 1M
    Post edited by marble on