Day of the Dead Street

CHWTCHWT Posts: 1,127
edited October 2021 in The Commons
Almost hit the purchase button. Until I saw the photo frames. Are those people really dead? That's unsettling to me. Whatever the answer is, it's kind of disrespectful, at least to me. Why not just use a randomized character render? Now I am on the fence... because those photos creeped me out.
Post edited by CHWT on

Comments

• evacynevacyn Posts: 950

I'm sure they're stock photos to add to the realism factor, but I get what you're coming from. I'm surprised they didn't just render a few different characters and use those as the photos instead. Regardless, you could just remove the textures or edit them in Photoshop if you're not completely put off.

• I believe the artist put them in themselves - and not wanting to speak for them - but maybe to 'immortalise' or pay tribute to their loved ones.  I've snuck easter eggs like that into my sets.. and it's a nice thing to do. It might be creepy to some, but if the artist is happy to do that, then it's their choice.

As said, you can also swap them out for your own images.

• CHWTCHWT Posts: 1,127

I believe the artist put them in themselves - and not wanting to speak for them - but maybe to 'immortalise' or pay tribute to their loved ones.  I've snuck easter eggs like that into my sets.. and it's a nice thing to do. It might be creepy to some, but if the artist is happy to do that, then it's their choice.

As said, you can also swap them out for your own images.

Yeah it would make sense if those are the artist's loved ones.
  • memcneil70memcneil70 Posts: 3,684

The items are also referred to as 'frames' so may just be that, to allow you to add what you want. Maybe someone can post what they find after download. I will be processing my cart soon, but have to work and will not have time.

• memcneil70memcneil70 Posts: 3,684

Okay, I took the time to download and open D|S and checked the 'frames'. The photos are in them. But in Surfaces, the photo is a separate item and can be cutout, and a wood surface appears. So it seems perfectly possible to render a character in your story and place your image into the frames without issue.

• CHWTCHWT Posts: 1,127

Okay, I took the time to download and open D|S and checked the 'frames'. The photos are in them. But in Surfaces, the photo is a separate item and can be cutout, and a wood surface appears. So it seems perfectly possible to render a character in your story and place your image into the frames without issue.

Thanks for the update!
  • I bought it but I miss some props and textures .I first used DIM so I did a manual download and the files are not in it.

I didn't  see a require product to use it.

I put a ticket but I am alone with this concern ?

Thanks

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,711

Lledeline said:

I bought it but I miss some props and textures .I first used DIM so I did a manual download and the files are not in it.

I didn't  see a require product to use it.

I put a ticket but I am alone with this concern ?

Thanks

knowing DAZ they probably forgot to include the props which you can also buy separately but are supposed to be included indecision 

• davesodaveso Posts: 6,363

props .. yesh, i almost bought them for one of the 2 needed for extra discount then saw the statemenet they were included in the street scene.

• Pax AsteriaePax Asteriae Posts: 398
    edited October 2021

There are two downloads in DIM. Props are installed to /Props/Mexican Day Of The Dead Street Props/.  Buildings, for no apparent reason, install into /Environment/Materials/, which made finding them fun.

Post edited by Pax Asteriae on
  • In fact I bought the props only and not the streets, and only one file is avaliable. Seeing the product page props are missing.

• If you click 'Show Installed Files...' in DIM, does it tell you what it did install?

dim-showinstalled.jpg
    978 x 661 - 116K
  • Thank you, but as I told before I only bought the "props of Mexico" , nt the bundle . So only one file to download in DIM.

• Theer should have been a note that the props are a subset of the street - there is a note to that effect on each page now, though I don't recall seeing it earlier.

• Lledeline said:

Thank you, but as I told before I only bought the "props of Mexico" , nt the bundle . So only one file to download in DIM.

The screenshot was for illustration purposes only. cheeky If you do that, it shows you a list of where everything's installed, so you can see what it has and hasn't installed and where it is, in case of strange installation paths.

• JOdelJOdel Posts: 6,246

There are a few things extra in the separate props set. The guitars and cases aren't in the street set. Or not the promos, anyway. 

• JOdel said:

There are a few things extra in the separate props set. The guitars and cases aren't in the street set. Or not the promos, anyway. 

Mariachi Guitar is listed in the What's Included for each.

• Charlie JudgeCharlie Judge Posts: 12,268

On another note: Did anybody notice the whell on the wheelbarrow? It sure would be hard to push that wheelbarrow.

• R2ArtsR2Arts Posts: 15
    edited October 2021

I am really disappointed with the "Day of the Dead Street". If your computer can not handle an obscene amount of unnecessary polygons, don't get this product. Everything is outrageously very high poly.

The scene info tap shows more than 34 million faces. Everything is poorly designed with a huge amount of polygons in unnecessary places. Everything is modelled instead of using textures with normals.

I tried to export the whole set to 3DS Max but was not possible due to errors. My computer is getting old it is a quad-core I7 with 38 Gb ram and a GTX 1080 and in wire shaded mode I get a long delay when moving around with the mouse. It is inposible to do anything or load a figure.

Post edited by R2Arts on
  • KCMustangKCMustang Posts: 113

R2Arts said:

I am really disappointed with the "Day of the Dead Street". If your computer can not handle an obscene amount of unnecessary polygons, don't get this product. Everything is outrageously very high poly.

The scene info tap shows more than 34 million faces. Everything is poorly designed with a huge amount of polygons in unnecessary places. Everything is modelled instead of using textures with normals.

I tried to export the whole set to 3DS Max but was not possible due to errors. My computer is getting old it is a quad-core I7 with 38 Gb ram and a GTX 1080 and in wire shaded mode I get a long delay when moving around with the mouse. It is inposible to do anything or load a figure.

I didn't spend too much time on it nor have I really researched how Daz works behind the scenes yet but yeah, when I went to do a test render it went straight to CPU and was showing 59 Gigs of RAM being used.

That's with nothing else at all but the street loaded. I've never had a scene take up anywhere near that much RAM before so was wondering if it was user-error.

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,514

...there have been several products over the past year or so that were difficult for many systems to accommodate either because of a high number of polygons or high resolution materials.

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 9,294

kyoto kid said:

...there have been several products over the past year or so that were difficult for many systems to accommodate either because of a high number of polygons or high resolution materials.

Usually without any real reason and/or benefit... 

• algovincianalgovincian Posts: 2,562
    edited October 2021

Bought the bundle today, loaded up the main pre-load, viewed from Camera (2) and rendered @ 1000x1300. For those interested, VRAM usage was 11,898MB on a box running a 3060. Scene info listed 53 million verts and 34 million faces.

BTW, the user-facing files are located as follows:

• You can find new icons for loading this product in the following DAZ Studio Folders:

• “Environment”

• “Environment:Materials”

• “Props:Mexican Day of The Dead Street Props”

• “Props:Mexican Day of The Dead Street Props:Materials”

The pre-load I loaded was in fact located in "Environment" (singular with no sub-dir), which was wierd. Was this by design?

- Greg

ETA: Despite the overall high geo numbers, VRAM requirements, and strange location of user facing files, I do like the modular building fronts, which is what I'm interested from the set.

ETA  Again: I ran instancify and the face count dropped to 29.4 million faces (this included savings from only 3 single flowers). I then filtered the scene to show "flower" and deleted all of them just to see the drop in face count, and it dropped to 13.2 million. It looks like instances could have definitely been used more effectively on the groups of flowers. Note: the filtering by "flower" did not catch all of the flowers, so there were even more. Also, there were "Paper Balls" that were extremely high poly that could have benefitted greatly from more efficient use of instancing.

There were some other things, but I'm running short on time right now and you get the idea. I mention these things in an effort to try and be constructive.

Post edited by algovincian on
  • KCMustangKCMustang Posts: 113

algovincian said:

Bought the bundle today, loaded up the main pre-load, viewed from Camera (2) and rendered @ 1000x1300. For those interested, VRAM usage was 11,898MB on a box running a 3060. Scene info listed 53 million verts and 34 million faces.

• You can find new icons for loading this product in the following DAZ Studio Folders:

• “Environment”

The pre-load I loaded was in fact located in "Environment" (singular with no sub-dir), which was wierd. Was this by design?

- Greg

ETA: Despite the overall high geo numbers, VRAM requirements, and strange location of user facing files, I do like the modular building fronts, which is what I'm interested from the set.

ETA  Again: I ran instancify and the face count dropped to 29.4 million faces (this included savings from only 3 single flowers). I then filtered the scene to show "flower" and deleted all of them just to see the drop in face count, and it dropped to 13.2 million. It looks like instances could have definitely been used more effectively on the groups of flowers. Note: the filtering by "flower" did not catch all of the flowers, so there were even more. Also, there were "Paper Balls" that were extremely high poly that could have benefitted greatly from more efficient use of instancing.

There were some other things, but I'm running short on time right now and you get the idea. I mention these things in an effort to try and be constructive.

I noticed there was an update issued today so I ran the test again using the same settings as you. It still fell back to CPU and task manager was showing 56 gigs of system RAM in use, so no change from my first attempt. It's a memory hungry scene alright.

If I cancel the render it crashes my Daz every time too.

Ran Scene Optimiser over it and after that it stayed on GPU and rendered OK provided I closed Daz first and rendered it clean. Loaded a G8 character, some clothes and hair into the scene and it was back to CPU again.

Anyway, I''m a Noob and there are probably things that can be done to make it work. The scene is too much for my GTX3070 8GB straight out of the box though.

Not too concerned personally, it came as part of the Rosa Maria Mega Bundle and that was a grood deal with all of the freebies & discounts thrown in.

Did your render stay on GPU or drop to CPU as well?

• algovincianalgovincian Posts: 2,562

KCMustang said:

algovincian said:

• “Environment”

- Greg

I noticed there was an update issued today so I ran the test again using the same settings as you. It still fell back to CPU and task manager was showing 56 gigs of system RAM in use, so no change from my first attempt. It's a memory hungry scene alright.

If I cancel the render it crashes my Daz every time too.

Ran Scene Optimiser over it and after that it stayed on GPU and rendered OK provided I closed Daz first and rendered it clean. Loaded a G8 character, some clothes and hair into the scene and it was back to CPU again.

Anyway, I''m a Noob and there are probably things that can be done to make it work. The scene is too much for my GTX3070 8GB straight out of the box though.

Not too concerned personally, it came as part of the Rosa Maria Mega Bundle and that was a grood deal with all of the freebies & discounts thrown in.

Did your render stay on GPU or drop to CPU as well?

Yeah it stayed in GPU and rendered.

I also think it's interesting/important to mention that it's hard to pin down VRAM usage for a given asset ahead of time because the factors in the actual amount of VRAM used during rendering include:

1. number and size of image maps

2. geo

3. compression settings

4. memory optimization settings/instances

5. how much VRAM is available at render time (which is a function of what else is in the scene, too)

It's a complicated equation, particularly because of #5. One simple way to put it without getting too technical is to say that Iray will not be so worried about the amount of VRAM it gobbles up during rendering if there's plenty available.

This can be confusing and is why it can be hard to predict VRAM usage for a given asset ahead of time. It explains why the amount of VRAM used when rendering the scene alone was 11,898 MB, but only 11,884 MB after adding G8F Sharon to the scene - same settings, and still rendered using GPU.

- Greg

• JamieMJamieM Posts: 353

Just wanted to say "Fun set". https://www.daz3d.com/day-of-the-dead-street  ;

Amazed to find the "free" (if quite simple) graveyard included at the end of the street, not mentioned or pictured in the promo. 

The props are nice. I can't help suspecting that the original intention was to break them completely loose from the street environment - but that they got left in by accident.  

As it is, the set has a lot included for the price. 

There are certainly some problems - such as the street having a big white space in front of the graveyard (hidden in my picture by an added hedge) and blank gaps between the street cobble sections (white dots in front of the wheelbarrow). It is also VERY slow to move around!

Day of the dead street.jpg
    3840 x 2160 - 2M

I installed with DIM ...loaded the scene ..it came up with multitudes of missing files, proprs, textures, etc... it finally loaded after 6 minutes but failed render. 
    I deleted install and reloaded it via DIM ... now its not missing files but it does not render at all. It ends ofter 55 seconds or so, but there is an error in the log file --

"2021-10-22 09:10:09.219 WARNING: ..\..\..\..\..\src\pluginsource\DzIrayRender\dzneuraymgr.cpp(359): Iray [ERROR] - IRAY:RENDER ::   1.0   IRAY   rend error: No device specified or usable
    2021-10-22 09:10:09.219 Iray [INFO] - IRAY:RENDER ::   1.0   IRAY   rend info : Rendering with 0 device(s):
    2021-10-22 09:10:09.220 Iray [INFO] - IRAY:RENDER ::   1.0   IRAY   rend info : Rendering...
    2021-10-22 09:10:09.220 WARNING: ..\..\..\..\..\src\pluginsource\DzIrayRender\dzneuraymgr.cpp(359): Iray [ERROR] - IRAY:RENDER ::   1.0   IRAY   rend error: No worker to render with: aborting render
    2021-10-22 09:10:09.220 Iray Render error: Internal rendering error.
    2021-10-22 09:10:09.393 Saved image: C:\Users\david\AppData\Roaming\DAZ 3D\Studio4\temp\render\r.png
    2021-10-22 09:10:09.402 Finished Rendering
    2021-10-22 09:10:09.443 Total Rendering Time: 47.6 seconds"

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 9,294

daveso said:

I installed with DIM ...loaded the scene ..it came up with multitudes of missing files, proprs, textures, etc... it finally loaded after 6 minutes but failed render. 
    I deleted install and reloaded it via DIM ... now its not missing files but it does not render at all. It ends ofter 55 seconds or so, but there is an error in the log file --

"2021-10-22 09:10:09.219 WARNING: ..\..\..\..\..\src\pluginsource\DzIrayRender\dzneuraymgr.cpp(359): Iray [ERROR] - IRAY:RENDER ::   1.0   IRAY   rend error: No device specified or usable
    2021-10-22 09:10:09.219 Iray [INFO] - IRAY:RENDER ::   1.0   IRAY   rend info : Rendering with 0 device(s):
    2021-10-22 09:10:09.220 Iray [INFO] - IRAY:RENDER ::   1.0   IRAY   rend info : Rendering...
    2021-10-22 09:10:09.220 WARNING: ..\..\..\..\..\src\pluginsource\DzIrayRender\dzneuraymgr.cpp(359): Iray [ERROR] - IRAY:RENDER ::   1.0   IRAY   rend error: No worker to render with: aborting render
    2021-10-22 09:10:09.393 Saved image: C:\Users\david\AppData\Roaming\DAZ 3D\Studio4\temp\render\r.png

The first line says it all "IRAY   rend error: No device specified or usable" = Your GPU cannot handle it (not enough VRAM) and you have probably disabled dropping to CPU.

• PerttiA said:

daveso said:

The first line says it all "IRAY   rend error: No device specified or usable" = Your GPU cannot handle it (not enough VRAM) and you have probably disabled dropping to CPU.

I think it's more likely that the device is locked by the crash - have you tried a system restart? Memory errors usually come later.

PerttiA said:

daveso said:

es, i think this is it. I went ack in and enable CPU ... restarted. Tried to render. Looking at the log file now it went over to CPU pretty much right away. It rendered but it appears it really didn't finish ...  it doesn't have the usual end render stats but only that it reached maximum number of samples, after 5000. 
    I think this is going back although I bought the mega bundle. Probably can;t get credit from one product in a bundle?  Otherwise, it is so doggy it looks like the program is locked but its trying to load stuff into the scene. I have it set at texture shaded. It takes quite a long time to recover once that last render ended, or even trying to change cameras, or even to add another figure. 

I guess for today my system already getting old, but I have 32gig ram and an Nvidia 2070 super with 8gig. I think I need 128gig vram or something.