DAZ Studio Pro BETA [Release Candidate] - version 4.7.0.11! [UPDATED]

DAZ_BrianDAZ_Brian Posts: 345
edited November 2014 in Daz Studio Discussion

DAZ 3D is pleased to announce the next public version of the DAZ Studio Pro BETA - version 4.7.0.11! [UPDATED]

What is a Release Candidate?

A Release Candidate is a BETA version that has the potential to replace the current General Release, unless significant "show-stopper" caliber bugs emerge. A Release Candidate suggests that a General Release is relatively close.

What is a BETA?

Despite our best efforts, DAZ 3D cannot possibly test the software under all possible conditions. So, we are providing a version of the application to the general public in order to uncover problems that were not discovered during internal/private testing. We expect that there will still be problems and we hope that when users encounter any problems, they will report them to the Bug Tracker so that they can be validated, prioritized and fixed.

As with any software classified as being in the BETA phase of development, you should expect to encounter bugs. Any bugs you do encounter while using BETA software can vary in terms of severity, from minor features that do not work correctly to problems that cause your computer to crash. Before choosing to use BETA software for production purposes, you should decide whether the benefit of new features and bug fixes provided by the BETA version outweighs the risk of instability you may encounter.

Public Build, BETA, what is the difference?

Public Build is a release channel, while BETA is a phase of development.

DAZ Studio is distributed through four separate channels:

- Production Build - This is where the General Release build is distributed and is open to the general public.

- Public Build - This is where the builds that are not considered stable yet are provided for testing by the general public; this channel typically provides a build that is in the BETA phase of development, but technically can provide a build in the ALPHA phase.

- Private Build - This is similar to the Public Build channel, except it is limited to a select group of individuals that serve as the "front line" or the "canary in a coal mine" for a time before the build is promoted to a less restricted channel; this channel is more likely to see an ALPHA build than the Public Build channel is.

- Dev Build - This is for a much smaller group of individuals; this channel provides "bleeding edge" ALPHA builds; sometimes referred to as "nightly", although the builds are not limited to one per night nor to strictly occurring at night.

Will this Public Build replace the General Release?

While builds in the Public Build channel do eventually replace the build in the Production Build channel, the existence of a public build does not preclude builds that are currently in the Private Build channel from replacing the General Release before one in the Public Build channel does. One of the reasons we provide a Public Build channel is to gain broader coverage of the various fixes/additions. Sometimes fixes/additions in the Public Build channel are validated more quickly than others and can be integrated into the Production Build channel while the remaining, more risky, changes are allowed to "bake" a while longer.

What is new in this version? Do I need to update my copy?

The 4.7.0.11 version resolves many issues and implements many improvements since the 4.6.3.52 General Release. More detail on specific fixes/changes/improvements can be found in the Change Log, which can be viewed online within the Documentation Center portion of our site. All new downloads of the DAZ Studio Pro BETA product (SKU: 12000) will be of this version.

Public BETA - Release Candidate highlights are:
1) Environment Pane - Moved setting of the Backdrop for the scene to a new pane that is poised for future environment related settings. Note: The color of the Backdrop for a scene is now separate from the background color of a viewport; viewport colors can be set in "Window > Style > Customize Colors..."
2) Center Dock Area - The area previously reserved for the viewport(s) is now its own dockable area, which can be used to stack panes that consume more space; i.e. Viewport, Render Library, Shader Mixer, Shader Builder, Script IDE, etc.
3) Viewport Pane - The viewport(s) that previously consumed the remaining space between the left, right, top and bottom dock areas is now its own pane
4) Aux Viewport Pane - A separate, singular, auxiliary viewport in its own pane that can be used as a convenient, independently sized, alternate view of the scene with IPR capabilities (for renderers that provide it)
5) Interactive Progressive Rendering (IPR) - Interactively and progressively preview the final render of your scene as you work on it. IPR allows for realtime camera, light and material modifications.
6) Keyboard Scene Navigation - Navigate your scene the way you would a video game. Using the W, A, S, D, Q, and E keys, you can now navigate left, forward, right, backward, up, and down (in order). You can also look around by using I, J, K, L, U, O, and P (for leveling).
7) Scene Navigator Tool - Video game style 'mouse look' control by clicking and dragging in the viewport to orient the active view/camera/light.
8) Back to Base - Selecting the "Currently Used" filter in parameter based panes now displays properties with a value that differs from the base figure value, instead of the properties that are different than their memorized values. For example, loading the Victoria 6 Character Preset will now show the Victoria 6 shape(s) as "Currently Used" because the morph property has a value that is different than the Genesis 2 Female base. In addition, properties that are driven to a value by another property can now be adjusted to override the driven value.
9) Truly Transparent Backgrounds - When no backdrop or background color is used (optional in the Environment Pane) transparency is shown as a checkerboard pattern, similar to other graphics applications. Also, the issue where anti-aliasing against the background color of a viewport generated a 'halo' of that background color has been fixed.
10) Camera Local Dimension Override - The ability to override the global render dimensions/aspect ratio with camera specific settings has been added.
11) Render Settings Pane - Completely revamped this pane to be consistent with other parameter based panes. Adjustments to render settings are now undo-able as a result.
12) Script IDE Pane - Improvements have been made to areas like syntax highlighting, auto-indent, context menus, find/replace and the debugger. Features have been added; code folding, line numbering, bracket matching and word marking (among others). Configuration preferences have been extended.
13) Extended Texture Format Support - Added support for using .EXR, .HDR, .PSD, and various others directly as textures.
14) Photoshop CC 3D Bridge Support - Added support for Photoshop CC to the 3D Bridge
15) Render Engine Update - Updated the 3Delight render engine to 11.0.105; see change log.
16) City Limits Layout - Updated this layout to incorporate the additions/changes mentioned above (and in the change log).
17) City Limits Lite Layout - Added a new default layout; a slightly modified subset of the City Limits layout
18) Darkside Style Default - The Darkside style has been set as the default for all new installations of DAZ Studio.
19) Scene Builder Redesign - Now uses a 'wizard' style workflow, based on metadata (categories, compatibility), that you can easily extend directly within the user interface (full functionality is dependent on the update to the Starter Essentials and Default Lights and Shaders packages).

Has the Content Management Service (CMS) been improved?
If you are already using the PostgreSQL based service, no.

If you are still using the Valentina based service, yes it has. The existing Valentina based service is still included and supported, however a new PostgreSQL based service is proving itself to be much more stable and much less prone to the data corruption issues that many have experienced in the past. The new PostgreSQL based service has also proven to be somewhat faster.

With this new solution, there is no longer a need to start a service that runs in the background. Normally, the PostgreSQL server starts when the application starts and stops when the application stops; unless another application, like Install Manager, is connected to it - in which case it will stop when the last application connected to it closes. Explicit control to start the service is provided via an action [in the Content Library pane option menu] and a button [in the Smart Content pane] without ever needing to leave the application. Explicit control to stop the service is also provided via an action [in the Content Library pane option menu].

To help get you up and running with the new PostgreSQL service, we've added a separate package in Install Manager that will automatically migrate any existing data from your Valentina database; you simply install it after the PostgreSQL server is installed. We've also included an "Import Metadata from Valentina" script with the Built-In content. The amount of time required to migrate the data will vary depending on the amount of data you have and your system specs.

*Note: While the PostgreSQL server is installed, Install Manager will not install any data to the Valentina database.

What is the Application Improvement Program about?
It's about improving the DAZ Studio user experience. Support tickets and bug reports provide important clues as to the needs of you the customer, but they are only hints. This improvement program will allow us to to "see" how the features of DAZ Studio are actually performing and where users are getting hung up.

If you choose to participate in the program, the statistics we will collect are anonymous and contain no personally identifiable information. We respect your right to privacy. That said, if you choose not to participate, we respect that too.

We encourage you to participate. In doing so, your use of the application will have a greater influence on where we focus our efforts.

Has the Genesis Starter Essentials, the Genesis 2 Starter Essentials (Male/Female), or the Default Lights and Shaders packages been updated too?

Yes, the "Genesis Starter Essentials", "Genesis 2 Starter Essentials" and "Default Lights and Shaders" packages have all been updated.

*Note: Install Manager users are notified of product updates when they occur.

How do I get the latest version?

If you have previously added the DAZ Studio Pro BETA product to your account, launch Install Manager, log into your account and type "DAZ Studio * Public Build" into the filter field to filter out anything else. Then simply download and install as you would normally.

*Note: The current version of Install Manager has a new Public Build download filter that is disabled by default. You must enable this download filter to see packages in your Ready to Download list that are tagged PublicBuild.

Optionally, you can locate, download and install the BETA from the Product Library [once you are logged into your account] by entering "DAZ Studio Pro BETA" into the text field near the top left of the page and clicking the "Filter" button, or by clicking here. Then, simply click the "download & install" button.

If this is your first time downloading DAZ Studio Pro BETA, simply follow this link, click the "Add to Cart" button on the page and then follow the checkout process.

*Note: This BETA version is not available as a standalone installer. It must be downloaded and installed using Install Manager. This does not impact the General Release, which will be made available through Install Manager as well as a standalone installer.

Can I have the General Release and the BETA installed at the same time?

Yes! You can have both the General Release and a Public Build (as well as a Private Build, for those involved in that endeavor), of the same major version, installed at the same time. Please be aware that the settings for each of the builds are stored independent of each other. This includes mapped content directories, layout, style and style colors, among many others.

What about the plugins I have?

The DAZ Studio 4.5 SDK has not changed in any way that causes it to be binary incompatible, which means that any plugins created for a previous version of DAZ Studio (4.5.0.114+) should continue to load and function with this build. That said, as with any new release, there is always the possibility that a plugin has had bugs fixed or features added, so the latest versions should be downloaded and installed if they are provided.

Plugins that are currently built/produced by DAZ 3D will provide a separate package specifically intended for the Public Build. 3rd party plugins that DAZ 3D creates install packages for will be updated to allow simultaneous installation into the General Release and the Public/Private builds. These packages will display as "Product Updates" within Install Manager once they have been updated.

Is there any documentation?

Yes. Check out the User Guide and QuickStart Guide that we've posted in the DAZ Studio 4.x Documentation section.

Post edited by rbtwhiz on

Comments

• RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,146
    edited December 1969

Looks interesting. Be nice to see some screen grabs of some of the stuff. I'm always hesitant about beta's plus last time I had a beta and stable version installed ... things went a bit wonky so will probably wait for this to go Stable Release.

• Sal UKSal UK Posts: 432
    edited December 1969

Would be good if it showed up in DIM but for me its not there.. :s

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

Sal UK said:

Do you have "Public Build" ticked in your Download Filters?

• bad4ubad4u Posts: 684
    edited November 2014

14) Photoshop CC 3D Bridge Support - Added support for Photoshop CC to the 3D Bridge

Please consider supporting Photoshop Elements with Photoshop 3D Bridge officially. It worked for some version, so it should be quite easy to implement as an option, as is it's always gambling if it works with any new version of DS or PSE. Not everybody can afford the full PS version and PSE is quite affordable for hobbyists (and you don't need a subscription for it).

Post edited by bad4u on
    edited December 1969

Sal UK said:

Do you have "Public Build" ticked in your Download Filters?

Yes Also I have been trying different things looks like the Mac version is there but not the windows version or did I overlook that this is Mac only beta?

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,731
    edited December 1969

I just downloaded and installed the Windows 64 beta via DIM.

edited December 1969

Untitled-1.jpg
    1530 x 861 - 277K
    edited November 2014

Sal UK said:

*EDIT*

ok I worked it out now at some point I must have hidden the beta version from my install list, ticking the show hidden worked... :)

Steve.

Really Good to be able to use 3d bridge.... Im very happy... :D

Post edited by Sal UK on
  • MattymanxMattymanx Posts: 6,879
    edited December 1969

Im liking it so far. Seems more responsive to me

• Takeo.KenseiTakeo.Kensei Posts: 1,303
    edited December 1969

Was waiting for that release to see IPR rendering

You can change lights and camera and get a realtime feedback

Seems to work well so far with a simple scene. Have to try more complex things

DS_IPR.PNG
    1277 x 1017 - 614K
  • DavidGBDavidGB Posts: 565
    edited December 1969

Is there an explanation somewhere of IPR?

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,561
    edited November 2014

...Interactive Photorealistic Rendering.

It allows you to visualise your scene as you are working . It allows you to adjust lights, shaders, textures quickl;y nd efficiently.

The catch it only works with Maya software rendering and the Mental Ray render engine.

Post edited by kyoto kid on
  • thd777thd777 Posts: 932
    edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:

It allows you to visualise your scene as you are working . It allows you to adjust lights, shaders, textures quickl;y nd efficiently.

The catch it only works with Maya software rendering and the Mental Ray render engine.

Actually, no. The version includes a 3Delight IPR renderer that works pretty well. It gives a good impression of the scene lighting and materials and is very fast (at least on my system). Not mental ray, but still a pretty nice additional tool.
    TD

edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:

Interactive Progressing Rendering.

And, obviously, not just Maya and Mental Ray.

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,561
    edited December 1969

...interesting.

I only pulled up what I could on Google as I was curious as well. I know there is a product here in the store that involves Maya and Mental Ray is offered as a standalone.

edited November 2014

So ... it gives a quick, autoupdating, low quality (presumably) 3Delight render of the scene as you change things?

Post edited by DavidGB on
    edited November 2014

DavidGB said:
    So ... it gives a quick, autoupdating, low rez (presumably) 3Delight render of the scene as you change things?

Basically, yes. However, it is just smaller, not low res. You can undock the window and increase its size. Of course it will become slower as you make it bigger, so there is a sweet spot depending on your CPU power where you get the best preview and response.
    Ciao
    TD

Post edited by thd777 on
    edited December 1969

Here is an example with a larger preview IPR window. This updates on my system in less than a second.
    Ciao
    TD

IPR1.jpg
    1908 x 1056 - 205K
    edited December 1969

Oh, and another thing ... a short while back a PostgreSQL Public Build appeared in the DIM, which I never installed as there wasn't, back then, a new DS Public Build. Are we supposed to install that, or not? It had the same package date as the last PostgreSQL general update, and it doesn't actually install anything into DS, Public or General,so I'm thinking 'not'.

edited December 1969

DavidGB said:
    Oh, and another thing ... a short while back a PostgreSQL Public Build appeared in the DIM, which I never installed as there wasn't, back then, a new DS Public Build. Are we supposed to install that, or not? It had the same package date as the last PostgreSQL general update, and it doesn't actually install anything into DS, Public or General,so I'm thinking 'not'.

That's correct, you only need to install one.

edited December 1969

thd777 said:
    Here is an example with a larger preview IPR window. This updates on my system in less than a second.
    Ciao
    TD

Ah, OK. Thanks

• SnowSultanSnowSultan Posts: 3,507
    edited December 1969

These sound like some great new features. Will be updating soon. :)

• Scott LivingstonScott Livingston Posts: 4,331
    edited December 1969

IPR was the first thing that jumped out at me, but I think I'm really going to like the new navigation options too. And I'm happy about Back to Base...have been wishing for that for a while. :)

• RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,146
    edited December 1969

What is 'back to base'?

• SpottedKittySpottedKitty Posts: 7,232
    edited November 2014

RAMWolff said:
    What is 'back to base'?

Check highlight 8 in the list in the first post. Some applied character parameters don't show up properly in Currently Used because their loaded value has been set as their default value. If this works the way I think it does, it'll be mindbogglingly useful in showing exactly which morph settings a preset uses.

I don't do betas any more, but this and some of the other features are making me really look forward to the final release.

Post edited by SpottedKitty on
    edited December 1969

IPR is awesome, although I had it crash on me when adding and deleting lights and cameras. Probably best to leave it off until you've at least placed your cameras and lights in the scene, then turn it on and just reposition them. That's a great feature that's going to save tons of time.

Does anyone know if the ability was ever added to be able to re-locate and categorize Smart Content if the content had been moved from the original installation folder?

Thanks again for this impressive update. I'll definitely be recommending it to my fellow Studio users.

• martinez.zora77@gmail.com[email protected] Posts: 1,345
    edited December 1969

While I download this treasure...

6 and 7 works with joystick usb or only keys?

9 works with special cameras? If the response is affirmative, I faint.

5, shaders?

10, A truck with a ton of kisses for you, DAZ guys.

edited November 2014

I think you'd have to use something like Joy2Key or Pinnacle Profiler, otherwise the joystick does not know what key to simulate pressing.

What kind of special cameras? I'm REALLY happy for that true transparent background though, since everything I make goes through a deluge of Photoshop and color correction.

5, shaders?

I haven't tried any unusual shaders yet, but it didn't seem to show a bump map when I was trying it out.

Post edited by SnowSultan on
    edited December 1969

I think you'd have to use something like Joy2Key or Pinnacle Profiler, otherwise the joystick does not know what key to simulate pressing.

What kind of special cameras? I'm REALLY happy for that true transparent background though, since everything I make goes through a deluge of Photoshop and color correction.

5, shaders?

I haven't tried any unusual shaders yet, but it didn't seem to show a bump map when I was trying it out.

Thanks.
    No joystick T_T
    Special camera: I think camera from zig toonycam pro.
    Shaders: confirmed with furify and manga style shader, so shader mixer shaders work, but IPR stop to works for me, I can't activate it again.

edited December 1969

symbol "{" can't be typed in RSL editor