Show Us Your Bryce Renders Part 11

Comments

• HoroHoro Posts: 10,069
    edited October 2021

Rasberri - good to see you here. Interesting results with Filter Forge. Main thing is to have fun.

The object was made in INCENDIA NEXT some time ago. It is just white, has a radial inside and a fill light around it that includes only the object. It is within a eliptical sphere with white diffuse and some reflection and it does not cast shadows (transparent to light). Light and colour by the IceFire2 HDRI. A special lens keeps the centre focused and the outskirts get blurred.

Soft Polyhedra

The lens used (just a sphere at the camera position) is described in a PDF on my website: Bryce & 3D CG Documents > Mine > Rendering > DoF and Dof Ring Lens. It can be used to focus the centre of the render and blur the outskirts, or blur the centre and focus on the periphery, and even to blur the centre and the outskirts but keeps a ring in between sharp.

Soft Plyhedra Example

SoftPolyhedra.jpg
    1200 x 780 - 115K
    SoftPolyhedraEx.jpg
    800 x 520 - 82K
    Post edited by Horo on
  • mermaid010mermaid010 Posts: 4,956

Rasberri – interesting landscape. I’m using Bryce for so long now, yet I did not know that a filter can be used in the terrain editor as an add-on, need to look into it. Normally I will use filters in Photoshop to make a height map for a terrain.

Horo- another fantastic render, interesting model and render. Thanks for sharing the file.

• RasberriRasberri Posts: 265

Going to have to check that out the pdf on your website Horo.  I am really intrigued by all of the things Bryce can do.. esp ones I have not discovered yet!

@mermaid010 The filter app itself is not used in the terrain editor within Bryce (or maybe I am misunderstanding) rather Filter Forge is a standalone software --available here at DAZ--(I got a great discount on it during the PA sale a few weeks ago)  it can be used as a plugin (or alone) for Adobe/Corel/Affinity, etc. drawing apps. On their website you can download filters created by the community, this one was titled Layered Stone-but I tweaked the filter's parameters and coloring to reflect more of a landscape effect.  FF 9 and 10 can export Normal, Diffuse and Bump/Height maps as separate png or jpeg files.  So I loaded Jpg height map in the terrain editor---feel free to try the ones I uploaded here--and the diffuse/normal jpgs color map as the textures in the material editor. 

here is a link to the filter I used: https://www.filterforge.com/filters/240.html

Sorry  I misunderstood you, Rasberri, I do use filters in Photoshop, not Filter Forge.  I have a very old version of Photoshop and use filters that came with the program. I also have Horo's TE Advanced Filters. Thanks I will try the one's you uploaded.

edited October 2021

The terrain is from the Crater Construction Kit (author unknown) with a material from High Resolution Terrains 4, the object was modeled in INCENDIA NEXT, the material from 50 Metals The Treppenhalle Set. Sky and ambient light by the DS_Sky03 HDRI from Deep Space HDRI 2. The clouds are from the Sky Toolbox Expansion Kit. The key light by the sun. An unidentified artefact on a remote world.

Artefact

Artefact.jpg
    1200 x 780 - 237K
    Post edited by Horo on
  • adbcadbc Posts: 3,078
    edited October 2021

Rasberri : cool image, beautiful result with Filter Forge.

Horo : amazing result, the object looks like a flower made from folded fabric. 

Awesome landscape, beautiful sky, I like the fog effect.

A simple abstract : spheres, tori and mirrors. 

abstract 7.jpg
    600 x 600 - 118K
    Post edited by adbc on

adbc - thank you. Very nice abstract, I like the small heart on top.

edited October 2021

Horo – cool modeling, beautiful landscape and atmosphere.

Adbc – awesome abstract, looks like an alien insect.

A simple scene I put together using the rustic bridge, Pam (Chohole) shared with us many years ago. It’s the 1st time I used this beautiful model. The background is the Milljere Hdri from Horo’s site.

bridge1.jpg
    800 x 686 - 159K
    Post edited by mermaid010 on

Thank you mermaid. Very beautiful render with Pam's bridge. The trees from the HDRI fit surprisingly good into this scene. Interesting foreground object.

Horo, mermaid : thank you.

mermaid : lovely scene with Pam's bridge, nice hdri, cool crystals in the foreground.

Thanks Horo and Adbc for the nice comments.

• huberthubert Posts: 410

Rasberri: Interesting terrain work. (Iirc, one can use Photoshop filters directly in Bryce's DTE.)

Horo: Cool INCENDIA shapework, great terrains and lighting.

adbc: Nice sculpture and mat. The symmetry adds much to it.

mermaid: A wonderful scene and a strange crystalline object.

Thank you hubert.

hubert : thank you.

edited October 2021

Thanks Hubert - the object is actually a photo, I removed the background and used it as a height map in the TE

hubert said:

Rasberri: Interesting terrain work. (Iirc, one can use Photoshop filters directly in Bryce's DTE.)

Interesting can you elaborate more on this or maybe this feature is not available in Bryce 7?

edited October 2021

The terrain is from the Crater Construction Kit (author unknown) with a material from Landscapes under Fantastic Skies. The sun rays are a cone with the Streaming Rays by Frozencry (free at bryce5.com, Materials X-Change page 3). The clouds are from Object Clouds 2D & 3D (available at bryce-tutorials), the ambient light by the Illhorn_CSD HDRI and the key light by the sun. A low sun shines through the glassy mountains.

Glassy Mountains

GlassyMountains.jpg
    1200 x 795 - 131K
    Post edited by Horo on
    edited October 2021

Horo: A nice and very moody scene. Cool technique for the godrays.

Mermaid:

hubert said:  ... Iirc, one can use Photoshop filters directly in Bryce's DTE.)

Interesting can you elaborate more on this or maybe this feature is not available in Bryce 7?

Sure. :)

FYI: "BSolutions" once posted great tipps and hints for Bryce 4 and 5, including the Terrain Editor (e.g. an "Easter Egg" to use the DTE for creating terrains!) or how to use Photoshop filters in Bryce. These work still in Bryce 6 and 7. --- I cannot tell how stable this will work and/or which generation of Photoshop filters will get accepted in Bryce. Just try....

A pity that the according web site has expired years ago. Yet I found an archived copy here:
    http://web.archive.org/web/20100108142111/http:/www.bsmooth.de/BSolutions/

Good Luck! :)

Hubert

Post edited by hubert on

Wow Horo, beautiful landscape I love the rays.

Thanks Hubert, I'll check the link, I have 5.5 installed so maybe it will work in that version. Once again it proves that Bryce is an amazing program, with lots of hidden gems.

edited October 2021

Horo : Lovely landscape, beautiful effect with the rays. I love the sky.

Another planet.  Used the images from crater construction kit for the terrains, mixed with Bryce terrains.The nebula is from space construction kit.

another planet.jpg
    900 x 506 - 91K
    Post edited by adbc on

hubert and mermaid - thank you.

adbc - thank you. Great barren landscape with the fog in the low parts. The sky colour contrasts nicely with the the grey land.

Beautiful landscape Adbc I agree with Horo about the contrasting colors

Horo, mermaid : thank you.

edited October 2021

I tried a Photoshop filter in the TE, in Pro 7. Only two of the filters appear in the drop-down, I'm using a very old version of Photoshop. Thanks Hubert for the link and thanks to Rasberri for mentioning filters in the 1st place. I used the kaleidoscope filter for this terrain.

filter-kal.jpg
    1000 x 500 - 475K
    filters1a.png
    700 x 367 - 137K
    filters1b.png
    700 x 372 - 177K

mermaid - nice experiment. Note that Photoshop filters (and also terrains made in the DTE) are only 8-bit greyscale (256 height steps), not 16-bit greyscale (65,536 height steps). However, the result can come out nice sometimes.

adbc: Great otherworldly scene, I like that foggy touch.

mermaid: Yep, a nice experiment and shapework.
    As you all know, I am more into "Shiny Spheres (TM)" than Landscapes. -- I never had Photoshop and I haven't used Photoshop compatible filters in Bryce since over 20 years now. IIrc, not every PS filter worked then and few even caused crashes in Bryce. Yet the working ones increase the possibilities in Bryce.

edited October 2021

Thanks Horo and Hubert for the comments and additional info. It was fun to try it out, adding a new tool to Bryce and it worked in 7 Pro without problems. I love doodling in Bryce, very therapeutic and I like trying out different things; abstracts are very addictive and landscapes more challenging.

Here’s another this time experimenting with the Ps filters in the Mat Lab.

ps-filter-mat.jpg
    960 x 618 - 210K

mermaid : great experiment on the terrain and the matlab. I think those filters work better in the matlab. I use paint shop pro and it seems to work as well, although the results are not for publication yet.

hubert : thank you for the nice comment.

mermaid - very nice and obviously correctly mapped on the spheres.

mermaid: Pretty results! :)

Thanks Adbc, Horo and Hubert for the nice comments.

This discussion has been closed.