New Daz-OptiTex Dynamic Clothes thread [Commercial]

Comments

• OdaaOdaa Posts: 1,548
    edited December 1969

Well, my first render in DS 4.6, using texture sets I made myself for Stephanie hair and Mucha Imperial. Now if I could just fix the whole "fall through the human if you make me collide with the floor" problem Mucha had going on, I'd be groovy. :)

TestScene.png
    763 x 1080 - 1M
  • SpottedKittySpottedKitty Posts: 7,232
    edited October 2014

Odaa said:
    Now if I could just fix the whole "fall through the human if you make me collide with the floor" problem Mucha had going on, I'd be groovy. :)

Have you looked at the floor in that scenery set using one of the wireframe views? I'm running a test render right now or I'd check it myself. If the floor has too few vertices, the dress will "fall between the lines" because there's nothing in the floor to collide with. If that's it, the easiest solution is to place a plane primitive level with the floor, make sure it has plenty of divisions (at least 10 if the plane is just bigger than the dress), then make the plane invisible. Now you can set the collide tickboxes to include the plane.

Note that this will work best if the bottom edge of the dress at least starts above the plane primitive, otherwise it might crumple in the middle of the drape. I don't think I have that dress, so I'm not sure how long it is in its neutral, just-loaded state. You might have to set up an animated drape, with the plane primitive coming up from below to stop at floor level (preferably a few frames before the end of the drape).

Edit: a second thought, the complete floor mesh (if that scenery is what I think it is) might be overloading the collide system, that's been known to happen. Same solution, though, set up an invisible plane primitive and collide with that instead.

Post edited by SpottedKitty on
  • WillowRavenWillowRaven Posts: 3,724
    edited December 1969

Odaa said:
    Well, my first render in DS 4.6, using texture sets I made myself for Stephanie hair and Mucha Imperial. Now if I could just fix the whole "fall through the human if you make me collide with the floor" problem Mucha had going on, I'd be groovy. :)

I've had that problem on occasion, too. To remedy it, I choose another floor or structure at the same level as the floor, then blind it.

edited December 1969

Sorry, I'm not expressing myself well-when I set Mucha Imperial to collide w/ V4 and the Pergola (and its floor), it refused to collide with V4 and just ended up in a heap on the floor. When I turned off collision with the Pergola, it recognized V4 and collided with her, so I rendered it out that way. Stephanie hair was perfectly fine about colliding w/ V4's head and Mucha, IIRC.

edited December 1969

Odaa said:
    Sorry, I'm not expressing myself well-when I set Mucha Imperial to collide w/ V4 and the Pergola (and its floor), it refused to collide with V4 and just ended up in a heap on the floor. When I turned off collision with the Pergola, it recognized V4 and collided with her, so I rendered it out that way. Stephanie hair was perfectly fine about colliding w/ V4's head and Mucha, IIRC.

Like I said, I've had that problem, too. I noticed it when colliding with a very large floor or ground. But i I don't tell it to collide with the ground, but with a hidden rock I placed at the same level, plus v4, it worked. In this image, it was happening to to girl in back...

The-Chase---signed----for-web.jpg
    1000 x 786 - 253K
    edited December 1969

Thank you both, and great image, Aidana!

I did as you suggested and here's the new version, with the dress pooling rather gracefully on the "floor"

TestScene3.png
    763 x 1080 - 1003K
    edited December 1969

Awesome :D I'm glad it worked. I don't know the technical side as to why clothing wants to drape through a figure and not others, but my weird logic thinks it's because it finds the ground too big and or some reason 4.6 chooses to ignore the smaller surface, which is the figure, in order to try to collide with the larger surface.

So what did you use? A rock or some other prop, or a primitive?

What dress is that, BTW? I want it, lol.

edited December 1969

Awesome :D I'm glad it worked. I don't know the technical side as to why clothing wants to drape through a figure and not others, but my weird logic thinks it's because it finds the ground too big and or some reason 4.6 chooses to ignore the smaller surface, which is the figure, in order to try to collide with the larger surface.

So what did you use? A rock or some other prop, or a primitive?

What dress is that, BTW? I want it, lol.

A 1-meter square, 50 division plane primitive IIRC.

Dress is Mucha Imperial, sold here: http://www.optitex-dynamiccloth.com/Store007.php
    Texture set is my own creation, downloadable here: http://www.sharecg.com/v/74993/gallery/21/DAZ-Studio/Shimmer-for-Mucha-Imperial

:)

edited December 1969

I thought that might be it. Isn't it still sold in the Daz store, too?

I have yet to buy that one because it seemed too tight on the promo character, but it looks ok on yours, so I may have to.

edited December 1969

I thought that might be it. Isn't it still sold in the Daz store, too?

I have yet to buy that one because it seemed too tight on the promo character, but it looks ok on yours, so I may have to.

Yeah, on a full-figured woman it can be a bit much; the character I was using above is just a face morph plus a default V4 body, so my two pics here should give you some idea of what it would look like on default Vickie.

Its sister dress Mucha Reverie is sold here at Daz, I think Mucha Imperial was something Draagonstorm and Martin came up with at or close to the same time as Reverie but couldn't sell Daz on a second dress in that style. There's also a Mucha influenced conforming dress for Genesis 1 and V4, from Mada:

http://www.daz3d.com/essence-for-v4
    http://www.daz3d.com/essence-for-genesis

edited December 1969

Wow ... I so never noticed they were different, lol. Now I need both :D

edited December 1969

They are booth very pretty-I don't use Reverie quite as much because it takes a certain amount of tweaking to keep the lacey undersleeves from poking through the outer sleeve layer.

• Herald of FireHerald of Fire Posts: 3,504
    edited December 1969

It can happen for a variety of reasons, but there seems to be a bug in the dynamic clothing plugin which means if an object is set to collide to too many objects, it rejects the earlier collisions, which is almost always the figure.

I've had unusual instances where a dynamic dress would ignore the arms, but collide perfectly with the rest of the figure. A good example of this was when I was draping the Fairy Queen Royal Dress. Moreover, I find I can't use the cape with the dress at all as trying to get them both to collide means it often ignores either the figure or the cape.

That being said, I'm still using the basic plugin so maybe the bug is fixed on the paid version. I don't own enough dynamic clothing to warrant a purchase yet, and there seems to be relatively few vendors who use Daz dynamics.

• EyekonographyEyekonography Posts: 66
    edited December 1969

I just got the Dynamic Clothing plugin for DAZ and have enjoyed messing around with it. But for a project i am working on I need a piece of dynamic cloth about the size of a handkerchief. Just a simple square or rectangle cloth that can drape over something on a table.
    Everything I have found, either freebie or for purchase, is too large, such as the tablecloth.
    Does anyone know of a dynamic cloth this size?
    Thanks

edited December 1969

I just got the Dynamic Clothing plugin for DAZ and have enjoyed messing around with it. But for a project i am working on I need a piece of dynamic cloth about the size of a handkerchief. Just a simple square or rectangle cloth that can drape over something on a table.
    Everything I have found, either freebie or for purchase, is too large, such as the tablecloth.
    Thanks

The Ultimate Pattern Design Kit product has varying shapes of various sizes. And if you need to go even smaller, after the drape, you could freeze the simulation and scale it smaller. http://www.daz3d.com/optitex/ultimate-pattern-design-kit

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,725
    edited December 1969

Thanks

The Ultimate Pattern Design Kit product has varying shapes of various sizes. And if you need to go even smaller, after the drape, you could freeze the simulation and scale it smaller. http://www.daz3d.com/optitex/ultimate-pattern-design-kit

You could also just scale the items up so the the tablecloth was the right size, drape it, freeze the drape and scale everything back down.

• DanaTADanaTA Posts: 13,086
    edited December 1969

Thanks

You could also just scale the items up so the the tablecloth was the right size, drape it, freeze the drape and scale everything back down.

That might not be too good for the textures on everything else.

Dana

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,725
    edited December 1969

DanaTA said:
    Thanks

That might not be too good for the textures on everything else.

Dana

Textures wouldn't be affected. The main drawback would be that the material presets for the tablecloth would be for a large object, so it may look odd (at least without tweaking, in the control plug-in) the way that water flowing through a model doesn't look right.

• KeryaKerya Posts: 10,943
    edited December 1969

Does somebody know how to get to the forumarchive? the only wayback machin links i have are not working - because Martin did make a handkerchief and gave the link in the old thread.

• MelanieLMelanieL Posts: 7,133
    edited December 1969

Kerya said:
    Does somebody know how to get to the forumarchive? the only wayback machin links i have are not working - because Martin did make a handkerchief and gave the link in the old thread.

Don't know about wayback, but I did save the addess of the freebie in my notes at the time - try this:
    http://www.virtualproductpresentation.optitex-dynamiccloth.com/Downloads
    Still seems to work
  • DanaTADanaTA Posts: 13,086
    edited December 1969

MelanieL said:
    Kerya said:

Don't know about wayback, but I did save the addess of the freebie in my notes at the time - try this:
    Still seems to work

I forgot about that one! I do have it. No promo image, I'll have to make one myself. (for personal reference, of course)

Dana

• KeryaKerya Posts: 10,943
    edited December 1969

MelanieL said:
    Kerya said:

Still seems to work

Brilliant! Thank you!

edited December 1969

Is there any way to freeze an animated drape at a lower point in the timeline?

• HavosHavos Posts: 5,305
    edited December 1969

I believe the answer is yes. Just move the timeline slider bar to the lower frame you want, and you should see the drape change back to what it was at that frame. You then freeze the simulation at this point.

• Herald of FireHerald of Fire Posts: 3,504
    edited December 1969

When you 'freeze' an animated drape it freezes all frames as a separate morph. Dial up the morph for the frame you want to keep and keep the others at zero to get your picture perfect drape.
    edited December 1969

I'm not sure I understand what ya'll are telling me. So I tell it to freeze simulation, then I use dials to move it back?

edited December 1969

I'm not sure I understand what ya'll are telling me. So I tell it to freeze simulation, then I use dials to move it back?

What HeraldOfFire says, and I had not realised, is that when you freeze the simualtion the generated prop for the dynamic clothing contains 30 morphs one for each frame. So even after freezing you can adjust the timeline, and the clothing will follow by applying the correct morph to the prop. Check this by clicking on the prop created after the freeze, and you will see it has a list of morphs

edited December 1969

Havos said:

What HeraldOfFire says, and I had not realised, is that when you freeze the simualtion the generated prop for the dynamic clothing contains 30 morphs one for each frame. So even after freezing you can adjust the timeline, and the clothing will follow by applying the correct morph to the prop. Check this by clicking on the prop created after the freeze, and you will see it has a list of morphs

awesome! I've been working with dynamics for three years and never noticed, lol.

edited December 1969

I have a new issue with dynamic cloth. I can get the cloth to collide with the figure, but not any surrounding props. I had a figure with a long robe who was crouching so that the the bottom of robe would hit the ground. However when I ran the simulation the robe just ignored the floor and passed straight through it, despite the fact I had selected the floor as an item to collide against.

I then tried with other dynamic items, and they just passed straight through any props I had set to collide with them, as if they weren't there. I tried to drape the dynamic sheets (http://www.daz3d.com/dynamic-sheets) over the back of a vehicle (like you see in the promo for this item), however for me the sheet just passed through the main body of the vehicle, although it did successfully collide with the wheels of the vehicle. I have attached a pic showing the rather odd result. The dynamic sheets started the simulation above the main body of the trailer.

Anyone know how to get the dynamic cloth to collide with props, or anything other than human characters?

DrapeTest.png
    1397 x 879 - 1M
  • SpottedKittySpottedKitty Posts: 7,232
    edited December 1969

Havos said:
    I had a figure with a long robe who was crouching so that the the bottom of robe would hit the ground. However when I ran the simulation the robe just ignored the floor and passed straight through it, despite the fact I had selected the floor as an item to collide against.

Not sure if this might be the problem in the other situations you mentioned, but a common cause of falling-through-floor is that the floor just doesn't have enough mesh density. Dynamic cloth can't collide with another object's surface, it can only collide with its vertices — if the cloth falls through the gap in between vertices during the drape, then it'll just keep right on falling, because there isn't anything for it to drape against. One easy solution, which only works well if the ground object is actually flat, is to create a plane primitive with a higher mesh density, place it on the ground, set the robe to collide with that and make it invisible when the drape is done.