Garibaldi Express: Hair and Fur Plugin [Commercial]

Comments

• KeryaKerya Posts: 10,943
    edited December 1969

Magic, you just have to believe in magic!
    LOL

• GoneGone Posts: 833
    edited December 1969

And when she has a bad hair day - it's a BAD hair day. :lol:

• araneldonaraneldon Posts: 712
    edited December 1969

Some questions for users of Garibaldi:

How well does this plugin handle Genesis with geografted bits? Limitations, stability issues?

I can't find any products with presets for Garibaldi. Why is that?

edited December 1969

Didn't know about that one, thanks. Store search brings up nothing.

edited December 1969

I just knew about it and searched for Mole, to tell the truth - the LAMH preset is prominently displayed, Garibaldi is not ... don't ask me why.

Sorry, I don't know about the geografted part of your questions ...

edited December 1969

Speaking for myself, I find Garibaldi to be extremely stable. There are a couple of bugs that will crash DS but they require some very unusual work methods and are easily avoided. I use Garibaldi daily and I've only crashed twice in the past year.

There are a couple of intermittent gotchas that won't crash but can be annoying when encountered but - again - they are easily corrected so only slow your work down by about 5 seconds.

When making hair with multiple nodes, you can only see the node you are working on in the editor pane so you have to guess how it is interacting with other hair nodes.

The plugin doesn't interfere with any other plugins and the hair will not slow down the preview pane when moving/posing characters.

Geografted parts are no issue. You can build the hair o the main character and have it show through or you can build the hair on the geografted parts directly - your choice.

Garibaldi is designed to generate Ricurves hair for use in a Renderman engine like DS - period. There is an .obj export utility but it is unsupported so you are on your own if you want to use it. There is no fancy .obj instancing. You make Ricurves hair with Garibaldi and that's it.

Joequick's Mr. Mole has Garibaldi presets and there are some presets available on the Garibaldi beta site.

I expect the main reasons for lack of presets are:
    - no player plugin has been released so you have to own the full plugin to use Garibaldi hair. You also have to own Garibaldi to access the beta site.
    - the author is not active in the forums and people generally shy away from products that don't seem to have support. In his last post some months back, he stated that he barely broke even in sales so Garibaldi is not a priority project - but it is not abandoned.

If you are the kind of person who wants immediate and continuous access to the author, then Garibaldi is not for you.

If you want a plugin that works and doesn't require umteen bug fixes and you have no issue with working on your own or getting help from here then it's a good buy.

edited December 1969

Thanks for taking the time to respond. I had a very positive experience with the plugin during public beta but that was a long time ago.

• ginonovantaginonovanta Posts: 63
    edited December 1969

Sorry guys,could someone tell me why when i click on accept at the garibaldi editor window DAZ studio closes itself making me lose every progress???

edited December 1969

You will have to provide more info on what you're doing but the only thing that comes to mind is that you may be trying to create more hair than your system can handle or the model is not built with quads.

Those are the only 2 situations in which that has happened to me.

edited December 1969

MMM....and instead how to export the obj so that in an external program it retains is shape??Cause i tried opening my hair shape in keyshot (wich i use for render) but it was just the hair without any stiling applied in garibaldi...oh and a last thing:i still didn't get how to render hair created in garibaldi,could someone explain me?

edited December 1969

While the hair can be exported as an .obj, it is not a supported feature. The exported .obj will have no texture/shader information.

The export option is under "File" in the Garibaldi editor. The quality of the export is determined by the preview amount setting in the Tweak pane. Even a low quality export will generate a very large .obj file. Depending on the quality settings, complexity of the hair style and your system resources it is entirely possible to create an .obj too large to import - particularly in apps like DS or Poser.

Garibaldi creates Ricurves hair strands that are unique to the Renderman render engine like the one used by DS. As long as you are rendering from DS, the hair will render just like any other asset in the scene. If you are using a different render engine, the hair will not render.

edited December 1969

Gone said:
    While the hair can be exported as an .obj, it is not a supported feature. The exported .obj will have no texture/shader information.

The export option is under "File" in the Garibaldi editor. The quality of the export is determined by the preview amount setting in the Tweak pane. Even a low quality export will generate a very large .obj file. Depending on the quality settings, complexity of the hair style and your system resources it is entirely possible to create an .obj too large to import - particularly in apps like DS or Poser.

Garibaldi creates Ricurves hair strands that are unique to the Renderman render engine like the one used by DS. As long as you are rendering from DS, the hair will render just like any other asset in the scene. If you are using a different render engine, the hair will not render.

So pratically thay can be rendered only in daz or renderman???But renderman is not free,is it?

edited December 1969

Inspired by a certain Scottish princess of fantasy. :lol:

CrazyHair.jpg
    1000 x 1000 - 171K
  • patience55patience55 Posts: 7,006
    edited December 1969

Gone said:
    Inspired by a certain Scottish princess of fantasy. :lol:

Very nicely done!

edited December 1969

No ---- it's not her.

PixieGirl.jpg
    1000 x 1000 - 279K
  • scorpioscorpio Posts: 8,299
    edited December 1969

That's cute Gone.

I've suddenly hit this problem I believe Starzk also came across the issue I couldn't find if he found a solution or not.
    I've tried unistalling and then reinstalling it fixes the problem but only for a short while then it reverts.
    When I take Genesis 1 or 2 into Garibaldi it looks like this.
    I really hope this can be fixed.

Garibaldi1.PNG
    1011 x 741 - 406K
    edited December 1969

This is just a guess on my part, but I think it may have something to do with vert reordering on save and then reopening the editor.

Of course, if this is happening on first use of the figure then I have no idea why it would be occurring.

I've been fortunate in that the only time it has happened to me is when I try to put a hair made for G2F on G2M (or other way round) or when I build a hair on a cr2 figure then save the figure as .duf.

• scorpioscorpio Posts: 8,299
    edited December 1969

Thank you yes that does seem to be the problem. A new load of a figure is fine, the saved figure I was working with is useless but luckily not difficult to redo.

• aggromemnonaggromemnon Posts: 19
    edited December 1969

After playing around with Garibaldi for an afternoon, I made myself a little project starter.... it turned out OK, so I thought I'd share:

Aggros-Basic-Beard-for-Genesis

I bought Garibaldi becauseI was unhappy with the expense of hair models that were of limited use. Even morphable hair products only filled a few of my needs. With this plugin, I can have any hair I need for any character in a few minutes/hours/days (LOL), for the price of only two or three quality hair models.

edited December 1969

Thank you very much!
    I have added it to my hair freebie list.

• aggromemnonaggromemnon Posts: 19
    edited December 1969

Thanks! Just checked my ShareCG account, and i already have 25 downloads after less than 18 hours. I'm pretty proud of it since it's my first shared model. i use a lot of freebies, glad I could give one back. I'll put up some customized hairs made with the Basic Beard in a few days :)

edited December 1969

She reminds me of someone --- I just can't think who. ;-)

FutureHair.jpg
    1000 x 1000 - 230K
    edited December 1969

Awwwwwwwwwwwwwww!

edited December 1969

What if she was the daughter of a modern gangster?

ModernMeridaAndSteed.jpg
    1000 x 1000 - 362K
  • NoermanNoerman Posts: 19
    edited December 1969

Sorry, is this allowed to use in game. Also can I sell the .obj file?

I have try to read whole thread but I got tired at page 5. :)

Thanks.

• SpyroRueSpyroRue Posts: 5,020
    edited December 1969

OBJ hair made in Garibaldi to my knowledge isn't distributable. But you could probably ask the PA to be sure. I would however think OBJ Fibermesh hair would be far too heavy for any video games, I know its heavy enough on DS alone.

• SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634
    edited December 1969

good luck in trying to contact the PA.

edited December 1969

Answers:
    http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/17751/P75/#261867
    lower down
    http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/17751/P75/#261881

In short: yes, if it is your OWN hairstyle.
    No, if it is hair somebody else created.

edited December 1969

"Native" Garibaldi hair uses Renderman Ricurves technology. For any game engine to use "native" Garibaldi hair it would have to be able to read the .duf file format and interpret Garibaldi code implementing Ricurves algorithms from a Renderman compliant engine.

Any hair you create from Garibaldi is yours to give away or sell provided it meets the ownership requirements. The same would be true for any .obj generated from Garibaldi. However, unless the .obj is rigged, the hair would be useless for anything except the specific character and pose it was generated from.

As already noted, the .obj would be huge - usually in excess of 100MB so would not be good for any game engine.