More Non-photorealistic Renders (NPR III)

Comments

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,922

@Mollytabby and  @Tugpsx

thank you very much for your kindness!

• vrba79vrba79 Posts: 1,297

Noone does that storybook look quite like you.

edited September 2021

Filament is great for quick and easy comic backgrounds.

Note: I added a Filament draw option to the scene with a iso scale of .15

Heres how you go from the before, to the after.

In Photoshop, FG color black, BG color white.

Load your render and apply the following:

Post edited by vrba79 on
  • Headwax said:

here's two of mine - originally from 2012 circa but reworked with what I've learnt in this thread

Carrara render passes worked up in post

Red Riding Hood

Wow  This is stroybook worthy.  Great job.

• MollytabbyMollytabby Posts: 1,159

That looks really interesting vrba79. I'm running Daz Studio on a Mac and, from what I understand Filament isn't available for Mac users yet. Something to look into when it becomes available. Not that I create comics, I just like playing with the software smiley

edited September 2021

With Daz3D no longer selling PwToon, I'm concerned they will stop updating support for it as Daz|Studio evolves. That's my main goto for NPR.

Post edited by vrba79 on
  • Really splendid fine art touch to these, and same with your earlier work I've seen across this thread. Very enjoyable! 

Headwax said:

very nice renders all,

here's two of mine - originally from 2012 circa but reworked with what I've learnt in this thread

Carrara render passes worked up in post

Red Riding Hood and The Sky Is Falling 

@vrba79 I only upgraded to the latest version of Daz Studio for the Mac after I tested that pwToon worked in the beta version. I had been on 4.10 for quite some time. I haven't used done a scene using pwToon for quite some time, I need to give it some thought.

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,922

thank you mdk1960 and FirstBastion and vrba79 :)

• juvesatrianijuvesatriani Posts: 556
    edited September 2021

@Headwax amazing works 

Here another exploration using pwtoon multipass and also Blender eevee multipass . All post done in Photoshop

pwToon Street.jpg
    3000 x 1688 - 4M
    pwToon Office.jpg
    3000 x 1688 - 456K
    Street 1920.jpg
    1892 x 1024 - 161K
    Post edited by juvesatriani on

@juvesatriani those are amazing. I really must do some research and learn how to do pwtoon multipass. Love what you have done with those sets.

edited September 2021

Mollytabby said:

@vrba79 I only upgraded to the latest version of Daz Studio for the Mac after I tested that pwToon worked in the beta version. I had been on 4.10 for quite some time. I haven't used done a scene using pwToon for quite some time, I need to give it some thought.

I'm shopping around for new methods, just in case I'm right about 3Delight options getting the old heave-ho(The fact that all basic tutorials on the main website only show Iray lighting/rendering is a huge hint we're heading that way!). The problem is that the toon options for Iray are either needlessly complicated(Oso Toon Shader) or woefully underpowered and poorly documented(Sketchy).

Post edited by vrba79 on

I hope it isn't being phased out @vrba79

As far as I'm concerned, 3Delight gives me a way to render relatively quickly and with a lot less stress on my old iMac. I do render with Iray, because that is what I started with with Daz Studio, but not as much as with 3Delight. I'm at a low level in terms of 3Delight knowlege but I am putting some time in to trying to expand the little understanding I have. I picked up the 3Delight video tutorial in the sale and I'm going to work my way through the sections a little at a time smiley

Tonight I've been reading some of the older forum threads and over the next few days I'm going to play with pwToon for the first time in a year or so smiley 

There are so many brilliant example of great images on these threads. They are real inspiration.

I love PWToon, because it is fast and very versatile. Its a unicorn in that respect. And now it's only available to those of us who already own it. That's a shame.

Yes, it is a shame. I gradually collected the pw bundle contents over a series of sale, so I consider myself lucky to have them. 

• These are all brilliant examples of NPR/toon renders,  really pristine! Great multipass work!

Here another exploration using pwtoon multipass and also Blender eevee multipass . All post done in Photoshop

I am stubborn. I refused to let Iray win.

Sketchy has almost no documentation to speak of, but I bludgeoned it into submission until I had something comperable to what I can do with a postworked PWToon render.

That looks really interesting @vrba79  I love the way the lines change over the shape of her arms and clothes.

edited September 2021

Sketchy has potential but the creator just never explained it well. By default the surfaces look super chalky, no matter what presets you use. But if you play with the individual surface settings,  you can make it look less matte. I added a  specular strength of 0.1 and then a specular roughness of 0.5 for the surfaces I wanted to pop more.

I've discovered the lighting has to be intensified if you're farther away from the model, and toned down if you're closer. In photoshop I apply a surface blur to make it look more painterly, and then punch the vibrance up to 100. Still honing the overall technique, but this is something I can work with.

Post edited by vrba79 on
  • ArtiniArtini Posts: 8,766

I would not mind, if we could achieve good NPR effects in iray.

Until then, I will experiment more with NPR in Unity.

edited September 2021

Artini said:

I would not mind, if we could achieve good NPR effects in iray.

Until then, I will experiment more with NPR in Unity.

Oh this has very much been a "Thow spaghetti at the wall and see what sticks!" experience for me. Just randomly fiddling with poorly documented settings until I stumbled onto something good with one of them. In my opinion, something like a shader suite shouldn't cost much if documentation is so poor that the end user has to figure out how to get the bloody thing to work right.

Post edited by vrba79 on
  • juvesatrianijuvesatriani Posts: 556
    edited September 2021

Dragon Slayer

Another pwToon Multipass + Photoshop experiment 

Mix Dragon Slayer.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 2M
    Post edited by juvesatriani on
  • HylasHylas Posts: 4,767

I´ve only ever rendered IRAY. Now I´m planning on having a crack at 3DL to see if I can get some good toon results. Lord have mercy on my soul! laugh

edited September 2021

Hylas said:

I´ve only ever rendered IRAY. Now I´m planning on having a crack at 3DL to see if I can get some good toon results. Lord have mercy on my soul! laugh

A good starting point is the included DazDefault toon shaders. A couple of basic starter tips for that: Turn off your bump maps(For skin I just don't use maps of any kind. Looks cleaner!). Set the blending to 50% or higher. Use one to two non-IBL/AO lights tops. Set the outlines to 0 for surfaces like floors and table tops. Here's a quick example of one of the looks you can pull off with it. Considering it's free, all its gonna cost you to plod around with it for a while is some of your time. One thing I cannot stress enough about this particular set of shaders is the speed! With a character render like that one, you'll get the finished product in mere seconds.

Post edited by vrba79 on

Excellent dragon image @juvesatriani 

Beautiful tones and shading.

Thanks.

The DazDefault toon shader plays well with everything too. Here's it being used on a G8F character. No postwork.

Its a pretty nice shader they gave away for free.

The hair is more complex, so it takes a bit longer than the G1 render, but still.

@vrba79: I'll give the default toon shaders a try, just to see. I actually already bought Visual Style Shaders when I had a chance to get them for a good price a few days ago.

I'll just try out some stuff, maybe look up some tutorials, see how it goes. But if anybody happens to know of a 3DL primer for IRAY-heads, I'm all ears :)

• Hylas said:

@vrba79: I'll give the default toon shaders a try, just to see. I actually already bought Visual Style Shaders when I had a chance to get them for a good price a few days ago.

I'll just try out some stuff, maybe look up some tutorials, see how it goes. But if anybody happens to know of a 3DL primer for IRAY-heads, I'm all ears :)

Welcome to the club !!

About 3DL ,I would say you dont really have to know everything about it ,if your goals is creating Toon or Non Photo Realistic Images . Because most 3DL custom shaders written/build from scratch by those PA . Every paramater and setting in each shaders behave and react differently with other shaders although you can use to get similiar style or outcome . In short , your knowledges about pwToon not really transferable if you choose to use Visual Shaders - Manga Shaders and even  DAZ default toon shader or the awesome omUberSurface and  AWE shading kit . Those shaders even react different against same light set or settings . 

IRAY in other hand, I believe designed to have streamlined or global approach just like BSDF shader in Blender .Yeah we have custom IRAY shader like DAZ uber - OOT hair - Multi Layer etc but those are works based on same settings or at least same approach . If you already mastered DAZ Uber , you can use those knowledge for  tweaking another shaders  to get result you want . In 3delight you need to master each shaders , thats why most people choose straight to IRAY 

@Hylas I have Visual Style Shaders but haven't used them for a while. I don't know why because it is possible to get some great effects.

I made this image in my gallery mainly with Visual Shaders. And also this one.

I learnt a lot from this thread: Manga Style & Visual Style  The first post of thread includes a Manga Style Freebie Pack 1 which has a set of lights which I found really useful in setting up the images.

edited September 2021

Thanks for the advice, @juvesatriani!

@Mollytabby, the first image in particular looks great!

So, I did some very basic tests:

Can someone tell me what´s up with the eyes?

It´s a G8.1 figure. Yes, I did apply 3DL materials to the eyes. Eye moisture and cornea have opacity set to zero.

ETA: Nevermind, it was something with the opacity of eye moisture and cornea after all... although I´m still not 100% sure what exactly the issue was.

3DL-01.png
    630 x 900 - 481K
    3DL-01C.png
    630 x 900 - 445K
    Post edited by Hylas on