More Non-photorealistic Renders (NPR III)

Comments

• juvesatrianijuvesatriani Posts: 556
    edited August 2021

vrba79 said:

I find myself having to fake eye specular highlights in post when using G8 with 3Delight. Is there a better way? With non G8 eyes, its as easy as slapping a map onto the cornea, but as best I can tell no such maps are there for G8.

Hi@vrba , really love the anime vibe from your G8 !! 

About eyes yeah , I` dont find yet the perfect 3Delight eyes texture/MAT which perfectly boost our toon or anime render just like we have from G1 and G2 family . That`s why I keep back using G1 with A4H4 anime eyes by Snow Sultan just because its just perfect to get nice Toon - anime eyes . 

Sakura have good Toon Eyes Material but I think its will not work correctly ( at least without hack) with standard G8 .  My work around is invert the pupil color  to white

Post edited by juvesatriani on
  • vrba79vrba79 Posts: 1,297
    edited September 2021

Go figure. I guess I'll have to hunt for something useable on Renderosity.

I'm not out a lot of money if I abandon G8, but the fact simple stuff that should be standard isn't even there for it, like 3DL materials? Doesn't exactly make me want to keep using it.

Post edited by vrba79 on
    edited September 2021

Honestly, when I can get results that are this nice, with what I already own, it does make it harder to want to use a new standard that is going to take a lot more coaxing to produce anything similar. Even if those new figures do offer attractive quality of life improvements.

I've also solved the PWToon transparent hair lines problem. Just set the interior line spacing to a high number, in this case 3000.

Post edited by vrba79 on
  • MartirillaMartirilla Posts: 172
    edited September 2021

mdk1960 said: Daz Studio >save OBJ file > import .obj in Poser > render cartoon w/line > Clip Studio Paint > Photoshop

juvesatriani replied: This DAZ > Poser Cartoon line is something I need to learn, thanks for sharing

There is a free set of helper scripts that work from the Daz Library, which you click one after the other and which basically automate the steps for a Daz - Poser transfer, called Automatic OBJ Exporter. You can also use Atangeo Balancer with these, part way through the process, to get the Genesis mesh reduced as part of the automation.

Also, when you get the figure to Poser the ideal would be to run with the new Comic Book feature, which would give you much more artistic lines to then work on in Clip Studio. Rather than using the ancient Cartoon w/Line display mode. You can see from the bottom two examples how superior Comic Book is.

Post edited by Martirilla on
  • Martirilla said:

mdk1960 said: Daz Studio >save OBJ file > import .obj in Poser > render cartoon w/line > Clip Studio Paint > Photoshop

juvesatriani replied: This DAZ > Poser Cartoon line is something I need to learn, thanks for sharing

There is a free set of helper scripts that work from the Daz Library, which you click one after the other and which basically automate the steps for a Daz - Poser transfer, called Automatic OBJ Exporter. You can also use Atangeo Balancer with these, part way through the process, to get the Genesis mesh reduced as part of the automation.

Also, when you get the figure to Poser the ideal would be to run with the new Comic Book feature, which would give you much more artistic lines to then work on in Clip Studio. Rather than using the ancient Cartoon w/Line display mode. You can see from the bottom two examples how superior Comic Book is.

Very nice - thanks for the workthru on this -  always like finding out better ways of working! 

• I've been messing around with an old poser M4 model I've had for years - the Marv figure, the Last Gladiator that is basically Mickey Rourke as Marv from Sin City. Several experiments here. Still learning as I go, so nothing too polished - but you can pretty much see where I was going with it.

marv-DRAGON2C1-sm.png
    1372 x 953 - 1M
    marv-nnuu2f.jpg
    1764 x 1100 - 2M
    marv-DRAGON4A-sm.jpg
    1761 x 1238 - 2M
    edited September 2021

Martirilla said:

Cool Tips about exporter !! Do you have tips how to match camera between DAZ and Poser?   The reason I`m asking because I want to mashup pwToon and Poser outline if possible . It just easier and I`ve already have bunch of preset of it

With Blender freestyle and Diffeo I can get match camera solution and work flawlessly if I need custom outline setup , but still not find wokaround for Poser and DAZ camera

• juvesatriani said:

Guys , Already posted the new stylized pw Toon preset in freebie Sub Forum , you can get in here

Maybe this is offtopic, but where can I read about how to make material presets like the ones you did?

edited September 2021

Well to make a preset, you get the shader set up how you want it to be, have the surface selected then you go to File-Save-> Material Preset, then tick surfaces you want saved. Though I tend to go with saving it as a Shader preset, so its not dependant on a specific figure. And on that note, here's the recipe for how I use PWToon to do skin.

You can swap out the shader color for black if you want a more comic noir effect.

For postwork, I reccomend gaussian blur of two, then fade that to Darken 100, and then adjust vibrance to +100. Really gives a richer look!

Post edited by vrba79 on
  • vrba79 said:

Well to make a preset, you get the shader set up how you want it to be, have the surface selected then you go to File-Save-> Material Preset, then tick surfaces you want saved. Though I tend to go with saving it as a Shader preset, so its not dependant on a specific figure. And on that note, here's the recipe for how I use PWToon to do skin.

You can swap out the shader color for black if you want a more comic noir effect.

For postwork, I reccomend gaussian blur of two, then fade that to Darken 100, and then adjust vibrance to +100. Really gives a richer look!

Shader preset will require to hold CTRL to keep textures. 

edited September 2021

pavsikakyj said:

vrba79 said:

Shader preset will require to hold CTRL to keep textures. 

This is true, but the point is making the preset itself is a simple matter.

Post edited by vrba79 on
    edited September 2021

I`m not sure if you`ll get this SAVE option from DAZ Studio before 4.15 , but there is feature to uncheck images or some parameter imformation ,  so it will "auto ignore" whatever setting/value you`ve already have in your scene.

i.e  When I created JS Locked shader presets . I`m just locking all important parameter . Then save with uncheck everything except those setting which locked . 

Same step for MATERIAL for figures I just uncheck every images and opacity information 

NOTE : Those option will not shown when you doing Hierarchical MAT . So for G8 up you need to save lash -tear  separately 

Sample MAT PReset.jpg
    534 x 902 - 201K
  • juvesatriani said:

I`m not sure if you`ll get this SAVE option from DAZ Studio before 4.15 , but there is feature to uncheck images or some parameter imformation ,  so it will "auto ignore" whatever setting/value you`ve already have in your scene.

That has been there for a while now, I can't recall exactly when but several minor versions I think.

i.e  When I created JS Locked shader presets . I`m just locking all important parameter . Then save with uncheck everything except those setting which locked . 

Same step for MATERIAL for figures I just uncheck every images and opacity information 

NOTE : Those option will not shown when you doing Hierarchical MAT . So for G8 up you need to save lash -tear  separately 

• mdk1960 said:

I've been messing around with an old poser M4 model I've had for years - the Marv figure, the Last Gladiator that is basically Mickey Rourke as Marv from Sin City. Several experiments here. Still learning as I go, so nothing too polished - but you can pretty much see where I was going with it.

Really like the Frank Miller vibe with these.

• Post render NPR to get the effect of a vintage inked and printed 50's color comic book panel: each figure, and three levels of background were rendered separately. Layers combined in Photoshop, In CSP I made 4 different psd each with slightly adjusted settings to get various tones and gradient angles, then these were combined in Photoshop and the underlying colors brought back into the artwork and further adjusted (saturation/levels) and then added the torn shape from a distressed layer and a text box.

stalled3b.jpg
    1568 x 904 - 3M

Its hard to make the vintage comic effect look authentic, but you pulled it off pretty well!

• ArtiniArtini Posts: 8,773

mdk1960 said:

Post render NPR to get the effect of a vintage inked and printed 50's color comic book panel: each figure, and three levels of background were rendered separately. Layers combined in Photoshop, In CSP I made 4 different psd each with slightly adjusted settings to get various tones and gradient angles, then these were combined in Photoshop and the underlying colors brought back into the artwork and further adjusted (saturation/levels) and then added the torn shape from a distressed layer and a text box.

Looking great - well done.

Random G2 Male character.

• mdk1960 said:

Post render NPR to get the effect of a vintage inked and printed 50's color comic book panel: each figure, and three levels of background were rendered separately. Layers combined in Photoshop, In CSP I made 4 different psd each with slightly adjusted settings to get various tones and gradient angles, then these were combined in Photoshop and the underlying colors brought back into the artwork and further adjusted (saturation/levels) and then added the torn shape from a distressed layer and a text box.

Love the FX

• I try to remember that there is a language of cartoons and comix that you have to aim for, that is hard to get at sometimes - so in planning out a panel I aim for communicating to a reader who is unfamiliar with the tale, but will be very familiar w/ the language of comix themselves. As challenging as that is, 3D allows for an endless number of choices to get the right visual and turn it into something just right for your tale.

ravager.jpg
    1960 x 1108 - 2M

Still not the exact results I'm trying to achive with G8, but I'm getting closer.

• Resident Evil-inspired toon

RESIDENT-EVIL.jpg
    1131 x 1764 - 1M

Finally getting results approaching what I can be happy with in Genesis 8.

• Possibly my favorite film of all time, John Carpenter's The Thing - small test cartoon treatment.

mac-w-flamethrower1-sm.jpg
    2192 x 1159 - 2M

Aw Yiss! The Thing!

G8 version of Francisco and his alter ego El Punchador

• Still working on producing a nice, clean illustrative style. So, more troubleshooting and experiment.

m8n8nA2x-sm.png
    2352 x 923 - 4M
  • HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,922

Artini said:

Example renders with Sakura 8 and different LUTs (Look Up Table) in Beautify 2 in Unity.

wow this first one hits the spot!

juvesatriani said:

Testing new pwToon preset and check how easy to get look i wanted in Photoshop

looking super! almost makes me want to use Studio :)

vrba79 said:

Still not the exact results I'm trying to achive with G8, but I'm getting closer.

I'll say you are getting closer. Don't worry about the eye highlights. They are two seconds work in post - a s you probably know!