What features would you like to see appear in dazstudio 5?

Comments

• studiohstudioh Posts: 12
    edited August 2021

inquire said:

PerttiA said:

studioh said:

A helpful feature would be something in the Shaping Tab that would allow the user to easily access all of the moprhs on a character without having to click on each "body part" to see what morphs are available.

Do not understand what you mean.

If you go to the "Parameters Tab" and have your figure selected, you will see all the morph dials the figure has, independent of what part of the figure they change.

Right. That's why I brought up Dial Control, a very useful script to me because it lets me zero in on just one specific part of the body and it's morphs and controls, which can all be altereed from within the script.

Thanks to everyone for their input.

Dial Control is similar to what I was describing. However, in a  Genesis 3 and Genesis 8, I can go to the Shaping Tab and find all the morphs.

I've realized that the issue is with non-genesis characters. Particually the older ones, like EmotiGuy.  You have to go the "head" body part to find all of the morphs to change his expressions. 

I realize that the technology is continually upgraded and it's great that models from 20+ years ago are still compatable.  Would just be nice if there was a way to standardize locating morphs on the models.

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on
  • PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 9,546

Old models are old models, unless you have a DeLorean with a flux capasitor, their design will not change

• A option to start denoiser based on percent instead of iteration count would be nice.

• InkuboInkubo Posts: 744

My wish: Fix the problem of Smart Content browser losing your place

I don't know the official names of all the parts of the UI, so I'm sure I won't have the language to describe this well. Still, I will try.

1. View Smart Content tab, select All Products from the list on the left, scroll down some and pick a product to view.

2. Double-click to view the elements that make up the product, and when done, click the highlighted Return button to go back to the list.

3. Discover that the browser has completely lost your place. EVERY. DANG. TIME.

If this problem occurs because the same window is being used to display the product, and just switching modes, then I suggest adding a new window so that what shows the product items is completely separate from the list display. Right now the Smart Content tab has its own pages--All, Installed, Updates, Pending--that are of very little use. (Maybe they're great for Daz Connect users?) Why not add one labeled "Product" where an individual product's items can appear without messing up the Smart Content listing?

• InkuboInkubo Posts: 744

Add Ghost Mesh lights to the lights natively supported in DS. Not to take away from people selling ghost light kits, but this is something pretty basic that should be in Daz Studio itself.

• Inkubo said:

Add Ghost Mesh lights to the lights natively supported in DS. Not to take away from people selling ghost light kits, but this is something pretty basic that should be in Daz Studio itself.

Creating a "Ghost Light" - Daz Studio 4.21.1.26+ - Daz 3D Forums

• Native Vray please

• FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,601

wurger said:

Native Vray please

That would be pretty sweet, but then they would have to charge for Daz Studio since Vray isn't free or cheap.

• Griffin AvidGriffin Avid Posts: 3,758

Actually, that idea of the Smart category window NOT jumping around for the last-thing-clicked-context would be pretty cool.

I'd like that to be a setting that could be turned off.

I'd like an interface that moves towards being more...like everything else....

Right click opens A TON of options. basically ALL possible options.

I'd like to be able to easily change the center of an object (or choose the axis it rotates around) by simple directional controls.

I'd love for daz Studio to have a SEARCH engine to LOOK for textures and ANY missing items....it's one folder away, but no, can't be found...

That would be great for those pesky MDL (RSL) files..

And I think I said before, a native Smart Content Category for

1) Favorites (Multiple Favorites so I can group products under my own naming convention)

2) Last Used

3) Frequently Used/Popular

4) Used in Current Scene - that adds (meta) data in real time as I add objects or use products. (Great for the Gallery tags) And, has an option to save that list with the scene for recall.

And, and a real-time troubleshooting Warning like

"Camera blocked by Object- shall render proceed?"

"Camera below floor. Shall render proceed?

"Memory usage high, continue to add elements to scene?"

"Scene RAM over video card limit, render may fail. Continue at risk?

"DeForce improperly set up. Items will explode. Continue?"

"Scene looks weak. Contine with render that will get no likes in gallery?"

Stuff like that.

• An SDK with working example projects from day one, and documentation written by a professional tech writer.

• I'd be happy with the 'tech' writer simply existing and being able to write sense in English. That would be an advance on the current situation.

The Scripting help files are much better than the help manual for the rest of the program, but in comparison to something like C++ Builder, they are pretty limited.

Regards,

Richard

• TheMysteryIsThePoint said:

An SDK with working example projects from day one, and documentation written by a professional tech writer.

That would be absolutely nice! 

• wurger said:

Native Vray please

The SDK exists, I am sure Chaos Group would be able to write a plug-in if they wished (which is what Iray and 3Delight are).

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 97,151
    edited October 2023

Griffin Avid said:

Actually, that idea of the Smart category window NOT jumping around for the last-thing-clicked-context would be pretty cool.

I'd like that to be a setting that could be turned off.

I'd like an interface that moves towards being more...like everything else....

Right click opens A TON of options. basically ALL possible options.

Some people seem to find right-click (and pane) menus objectionable.

I'd like to be able to easily change the center of an object (or choose the axis it rotates around) by simple directional controls.

Joint Editor? it comes up with the centre point selected and movable. Though make sure the issue isn't that the root node has been displaced from the figure node.

I'd love for daz Studio to have a SEARCH engine to LOOK for textures and ANY missing items....it's one folder away, but no, can't be found...

a) potentially slow, b) potentially returns the wrong thing (as used to happen with Poser and OBJ files with generic names, which may well be why DS doesn't do this).

That would be great for those pesky MDL (RSL) files..

And I think I said before, a native Smart Content Category for

1) Favorites (Multiple Favorites so I can group products under my own naming convention)

2) Last Used

3) Frequently Used/Popular

4) Used in Current Scene - that adds (meta) data in real time as I add objects or use products. (Great for the Gallery tags) And, has an option to save that list with the scene for recall.

Cagegories aren't native - there are defaults categories, but I am not sure what use having a default would be - you presumably wouldn't want it populated by PAs etc. and having a top-level saves one creation step the first time you use it. I can certainly see the appeal of a favourite and recent lists in some form, however. Search http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/public/software/dazstudio/4/change_log for "favorites" or "recent" - that does seem to be in the context of scene creation rather than while working on a scene, but it does seem to say there is a native favorotes category with a direct route for adding/removing assets.

And, and a real-time troubleshooting Warning like

"Camera blocked by Object- shall render proceed?"

"Camera below floor. Shall render proceed?

"Memory usage high, continue to add elements to scene?"

"Scene RAM over video card limit, render may fail. Continue at risk?

"DeForce improperly set up. Items will explode. Continue?"

"Scene looks weak. Contine with render that will get no likes in gallery?"

Stuff like that.

I think those would rapidly annoy people - to the limited extent that they could be implemented.

• wsterdanwsterdan Posts: 2,339
    edited October 2023

Some options might be already availabe under Windows, but not all. I'd lilke:

1. 64-bit Mimic to match ther 32-bit implementtion. I've read that they don't have a license for a built-in 64-bit implementation, but DAZ was able to sell 64-bit plug-ins for Carrara and Lightwave as well as create "Mimic Live", it would stand to reason that while they may not have a license to give a 64-bit version away for free, they could obviously sell a plug-in instead.

2. The ability to import multiple sound files and play them back to help time lip synching with multiple characters in a scene; it's not available in the Mac version, not sure about the Windows version.

3. The ability to output a movie file with sound on the Mac version.

-- Walt Sterdan

Post edited by wsterdan on
  • Sven DullahSven Dullah Posts: 7,621

wsterdan said:

1. 64-bit Mimic to match ther 32-bit implementtion. I've read that they don't have a license a built-in 64-bit implementation, but DAZ was able to sell 64-bit plug-ins for Carrara and Lightwave as well as create "Mimic Live", it would stand to reason that while they may not have a license to give a 64-bit version away for free, they could obviously sell a plug-in instead.

2. The ability to import multiple sound files and play them back to help time lip synching with multiple characters in a scene; it's not available in the Mac version, not sure about the Windows version.

-- Walt Sterdan

I second ALL of that!! 

• csaacsaa Posts: 812

Singular3D said:

TheMysteryIsThePoint said:

An SDK with working example projects from day one, and documentation written by a professional tech writer.

That would be absolutely nice! 

I'd like to put my vote behind this. Daz doesn't have to hand over the keys to the kingdom. With the plethora of tools on the market, we're looking for creative ways to add Daz to our custom workflows. Just clearly explained handles to a black box would do.

From what I remember perusing the existing docs, there's good stuff there; at the same time there's room for improvement. I particularly found the explanation for Daz's data types and data models very helpful, but the method calls could use more detail. Expanding all that would be a good direction to take. As someone who shuns RTFM as much as possible, I prefer the show-and-tell of the blog or video-blog format. The wonderful job that people like Sickleyield or Jay Versluis do bringing Daz down from the lofty heights to the masses -- could we have something like that for Daz scripting too?

It may be a reach ... but can we have scripting in Python instead? (Or is it there already, and I'm just not aware of it.)

On another topic, I've come to appreciate the Categories feature of the Daz website. For example, recently I searched for "turban" and the website presented a heirarchical tree which organized related assets. Very useful matrix! The information led me to products I never even considered. Beyond the straightforward key word look up, can we have that sort of search feature in the Daz3D? Same with the Daz Install Manager.

Cheers!

• This! Also, metablobs (actual ones, though you could tessellate using marching cubes for the preview).

TheMysteryIsThePoint said:

• RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,146

Jan_Scrapper said:

A color picker eyedropper!!!

yes 

• felisfelis Posts: 3,723

RAMWolff said:

Jan_Scrapper said:

A color picker eyedropper!!!

yes 

There is a kind of color picker. If you hoover over an color in surfaces, and click and hold shift, then you can move your mouse, and when you releases shift, then that color where your mouse is will be set. 

• I would love to see a base for a more industry standard figure G10 in Daz that can easily be transferred to other applications like, Blender, Unity or Cinema 4D. The hires meshes can be quite hardware challenging and other software relies more on displacements, even for dynamic wrinkles. A well documented SDK would be great, as this would allow to export figures in an easier way. In my opinion the main business of Daz is selling content and they did that in a good way in the last decades. Now, they should open up Daz to be able to provide the content much easier to other applications as well. Just my opinion...

Sven Dullah said:

wsterdan said:

1. 64-bit Mimic to match ther 32-bit implementtion. I've read that they don't have a license a built-in 64-bit implementation, but DAZ was able to sell 64-bit plug-ins for Carrara and Lightwave as well as create "Mimic Live", it would stand to reason that while they may not have a license to give a 64-bit version away for free, they could obviously sell a plug-in instead.

-- Walt Sterdan

I second ALL of that!! 

Give us atleast the ability to import a single stereo audio file into the timeline, with a corresponding waveform and adjustable in- out- points! Of,course, while at it, make simple audio processes like volume, mute and panning keyable, pretty please!

• marblemarble Posts: 7,449

Sven Dullah said:

Sven Dullah said:

wsterdan said:

-- Walt Sterdan

I second ALL of that!! 

Give us atleast the ability to import a single stereo audio file into the timeline, with a corresponding waveform and adjustable in- out- points! Of,course, while at it, make simple audio processes like volume, mute and panning keyable, pretty please!

Isn't that a job for a video editor? I can wholeheartedly recommend DaVinci Resolve (free or paid). 

marble said:

Sven Dullah said:

Sven Dullah said:

wsterdan said:

-- Walt Sterdan

I second ALL of that!! 

Isn't that a job for a video editor? I can wholeheartedly recommend DaVinci Resolve (free or paid). 

Well, in my opinion, no! It would be a different story if the DS timeline was capable of generating any sort of TC for slaving external sound apps, but alas, it is not atm. and probably never will. So , since you already can import audio into DS, just not see it or change the starting point of the audio file, why not just atleast fix those things? If I'm not mistaken, this was possible in earlier DS builds but got lost on the way, so it cannot be that hard to implement?

• marble said:

Sven Dullah said:

Sven Dullah said:

wsterdan said:

-- Walt Sterdan

I second ALL of that!! 

For some things, yes you can do it in DaVinci, but it's nice in Blender and Maya to be able to put in the audio of dialogue so I can listen to what's being said so I can handkey the lipsync. 

edited October 2023

Well it should be a no-brainer, really. You want to sync your keyframes with audio at some point, if you work with animation. All I ´m asking for is a possibility to import audio, set the start time of the file, an option to display the waveform and utilize the computer audio hardware for playback. Of course, getting back the (Mac) ability to render to movie with the imported soundfile and startingpoint offset would be a bonus, 

Post edited by Sven Dullah on
  • wsterdanwsterdan Posts: 2,339

marble said:

Sven Dullah said:

Sven Dullah said:

wsterdan said:

-- Walt Sterdan

I second ALL of that!! 

DaVinci Resolve is awesome, my daughter uses the free version on her laptop for video editing and loves it. As others have pointed out, it's not a substitute for having audio inside DAZ Studio.

I'm currently doing my little 2D animations in Reallusion's Cartoon Animator and the procedure is:

Open a scene with my character(s); select a character, apply audio clip and lip sync; select next character and apply audio and lip sync; repeat for each character speaking in this scene; once all. characters have spoken, select first character and while whole clip of all audio plays puppeteer the first character having them turn their head to speak or towards whoever's speaking while pressing the mouse button to blink the eyes; once the first character's actions and reactions are done, back to the beginning to repeat the process until all the actors have acted out the scene; export video(s) (I usually export with the camera showing the whole scene, then change the camera angle for medium close-ups, then again for close-ups as needed. THEN I take those exported movies into iMovie (my daughter prefers the more powerful Davinci Resolve) and cut and splice the shots together and add any effects or background audio, etc.

I did a quick sample like this a few days ago to test out a simpler style of characters than I normally use, but it shows what I mean: https://sterdan.com/2023/10/new-2d-character-style-for-pegasus-x5/ .

The whole minute of audio took just over an hour to produce (it's just a test, not a final), including the post work. At one point I could almost do that all in DAZ Studio, I'd really love to able to do it in DAZ Studio 5.

-- Walt Sterdan

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,888
    edited October 2023

Sven Dullah said:

Well it should be a no-brainer, really. You want to sync your keyframes with audio at some point, if you work with animation. All I ´m asking for is a possibility to import audio, set the start time of the file, an option to display the waveform and utilize the computer audio hardware for playback. Of course, getting back the (Mac) ability to render to movie with the imported soundfile and startingpoint offset would be a bonus, 

Carrara manages to do it so I don't know why DAZ studio cannot, the playback is [pretty poor] but one can at least line up events with the waveforms on the timeline (yes does more than 1 too) 

wsterdan said:

marble said:

Sven Dullah said:

Sven Dullah said:

wsterdan said:

-- Walt Sterdan

I second ALL of that!! 

DaVinci Resolve is awesome, my daughter uses the free version on her laptop for video editing and loves it. As others have pointed out, it's not a substitute for having audio inside DAZ Studio.

I'm currently doing my little 2D animations in Reallusion's Cartoon Animator and the procedure is:

Open a scene with my character(s); select a character, apply audio clip and lip sync; select next character and apply audio and lip sync; repeat for each character speaking in this scene; once all. characters have spoken, select first character and while whole clip of all audio plays puppeteer the first character having them turn their head to speak or towards whoever's speaking while pressing the mouse button to blink the eyes; once the first character's actions and reactions are done, back to the beginning to repeat the process until all the actors have acted out the scene; export video(s) (I usually export with the camera showing the whole scene, then change the camera angle for medium close-ups, then again for close-ups as needed. THEN I take those exported movies into iMovie (my daughter prefers the more powerful Davinci Resolve) and cut and splice the shots together and add any effects or background audio, etc.

I did a quick sample like this a few days ago to test out a simpler style of characters than I normally use, but it shows what I mean: https://sterdan.com/2023/10/new-2d-character-style-for-pegasus-x5/ .

The whole minute of audio took just over an hour to produce (it's just a test, not a final), including the post work. At one point I could almost do that all in DAZ Studio, I'd really love to able to do it in DAZ Studio 5.

-- Walt Sterdan

Tks for sharing part of your workflow, yup I love your stuff:)

Me, having worked with audio all my life, I don't lack neither hardware or software for audio post production;) In fact they're piled up everywhere in my house, now that I've retired, to my wife's great amusement... anyway...syncing keyframes to a waveform or by scrubbing audio is what I've done in previous DS versions, and it's convinient. Then I would import the QT movie into my audio software and do the final audio, then export in whatever format needed. (Well now you MUST render to image sequenses, so that's one more step - importing to image editor and make movie)

edited October 2023

WendyLuvsCatz said:

Sven Dullah said:

Carrara manages to do it so I don't know why DAZ studio cannot, the playback is [pretty poor] but one can at least line up events with the waveforms on the timeline (yes does more than 1 too) 

Exactly! Well this is such a basic feature, fingers crossed it will be added/fixed in future DS versions...DAZ soon...