[Released] Thickener plugin [commercial]

Comments

• AlbertoAlberto Posts: 1,383

Tofusan said:

This is a great plugin. However, I have one serious problem. When I move the frame count in the pane of the timeline, my mouse is always dragging. I can't create an animation as it is. This is clearly a bug in this plugin. I hope this issue will be fixed soon.

Hi! 

It's a thing of the Studio progress dialog, that interferes with the timeline. It happens when you drag the slider of the timeline. Click on the slider again and the dragging will stop..

Rakete said:

This is a really nice plugin, but I did just run into a problem with it. In the Iray preview, after a while of rendering, the thickener mesh just kind of explodes.

Did you apply dForce to the thickend object? 

DForce should be applied to the original object. 

barbult said:

Another strange thing happend. The added border on the skirt bottom was separated from the garment and floating in mid air, when I didn't stretch the UV. This was with a positive offset. The garment is from dForce Chiffon Crop Top Dress.

It seems to me that the cutout opacity of the Layer 1 and Layer 2 is set to 0.0

In this case, also set the cutout opaticy of the Border-th shader to 0.0

The skirt with all opacities are set to 1.0: The skirt with the opacities of Skirt Layer 1, Skirt Layer 2
    and Border-th are set to 0.0

ChiffonCS.png
    960 x 720 - 746K
    ChiffonSk.png
    1335 x 699 - 429K
    ChiffonCS2.png
    960 x 720 - 548K

AllenArt said:

barbult said:

The thickener option of Stretch UV Map doesn't work as I expect for negative offsets. I get white artifacts in the border. Subdivision in border and Triangulate non planar facets didn't help when I tried those options.

Yep, I'm getting it too - only if I use negative values. Nothing I tried would fix it. 

What shaders are you using? 

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,232

Alberto said:

barbult said:

Another strange thing happend. The added border on the skirt bottom was separated from the garment and floating in mid air, when I didn't stretch the UV. This was with a positive offset. The garment is from dForce Chiffon Crop Top Dress.

It seems to me that the cutout opacity of the Layer 1 and Layer 2 is set to 0.0

In this case, also set the cutout opaticy of the Border-th shader to 0.0

The skirt with all opacities are set to 1.0: The skirt with the opacities of Skirt Layer 1, Skirt Layer 2
    and Border-th are set to 0.0

Yes! That is the problem! The material preset that I applied to the skirt, hid those layers, and I was not aware of it. Thanks for identifying the solution.

Alberto said:

AllenArt said:

barbult said:

The thickener option of Stretch UV Map doesn't work as I expect for negative offsets. I get white artifacts in the border. Subdivision in border and Triangulate non planar facets didn't help when I tried those options.

Yep, I'm getting it too - only if I use negative values. Nothing I tried would fix it. 

In my case, I was not applying a shader. I was using the material that comes with the object. The throw in my example is from "Day Bed" SKU 65651.

• AllenArtAllenArt Posts: 7,145

Alberto said:

AllenArt said:

barbult said:

it's just a general seamless tiling shader. 

barbult said:

Alberto said:

AllenArt said:

barbult said:

In my case, I was not applying a shader. I was using the material that comes with the object. The throw in my example is from "Day Bed" SKU 65651.

AllenArt said:

Alberto said:

AllenArt said:

barbult said:

it's just a general seamless tiling shader. 

I see. It's a bug.

I'll update the plugin. 

Alberto said:

Tofusan said:

This is a great plugin. However, I have one serious problem. When I move the frame count in the pane of the timeline, my mouse is always dragging. I can't create an animation as it is. This is clearly a bug in this plugin. I hope this issue will be fixed soon.

Hi! 

It's a thing of the Studio progress dialog, that interferes with the timeline. It happens when you drag the slider of the timeline. Click on the slider again and the dragging will stop..

I could add a property to the mesher to enable or disable the Progress dialog.

The update can take some time (weeks) because, as usual, the plugin has to pass through the testing process at DAZ. 

Thank you for confirming the bug so quickly and promising to fix it. It's too bad the fix has to be delayed for weeks by the Daz testing queue again. It would be nice if they gave some priority to resubmittals due to errors they didn't catch in their first round of testing.

• marblemarble Posts: 7,449

barbult said:

Thank you for confirming the bug so quickly and promising to fix it. It's too bad the fix has to be delayed for weeks by the Daz testing queue again. It would be nice if they gave some priority to resubmittals due to errors they didn't catch in their first round of testing.

Especially if those who might buy are waiting for the fixed version to be released, by which time the new product discount will have expired. I know that we can buy now and wait for the fix but I, for one, don't like to take that risk. I've bought products in the past where I've logged a support ticket for an acknowledged bug only to wait for something that never materialises. This is one of the reasons I wait even longer for the eventual sale because, by then, there may have been product updates already. 

barbult said:

See the fix in your example:

They delay at most two weeks. 

Anyway, I'll wait to the weekend before submit, in case someone reports me ahother bug.

In the meantime, you could use positive offset values, or don't stretch the UV and apply another shader to the border.

BD.png
    1215 x 830 - 321K

Alberto said:

barbult said:

See the fix in your example:

They delay at most two weeks. 

Anyway, I'll wait to the weekend before submit, in case someone reports me ahother bug.

In the meantime, you could use positive offset values, or don't stretch the UV and apply another shader to the border.

Great! I look forward to the fix. Two weeks isn't too bad.
    I have noticed another strange behavior related to blocky pixelated Iray preview when I have thickened mesh in the scene. I'll gather more data and post the information in another message.

edited August 2021

Just because I find a bug in the product doesn't mean I don't think it is great! I'm very happy I bought it. It is easy to use and works well!
    Here is a scene that I think came out well, along with the thin counterpart for comparison. I only used small offsets like 0.15, because most garment fabric is really pretty thin - just not infinitely thin.

Thickened

Thickened

Thin

Thin

Latonya 8 Vogue bodysuit thin.jpg
    2000 x 2600 - 2M
    Latonya 8 Vogue bodysuit thickened -.15 offset_001.jpg
    2000 x 2600 - 2M
    Post edited by barbult on
  • wsterdanwsterdan Posts: 2,339

Nice example, it really shows off the plug-in's worth.

-- Walt Sterdan

• marblemarble Posts: 7,449
    edited August 2021

wsterdan said:

-- Walt Sterdan

Yes, I agree. She could cut herself badly with those sharp edges so I bet she's happy that @barbult bought the thickener. 

So, despite my reservations about bugs, I bought it anyway.

Post edited by marble on

marble said:

wsterdan said:

-- Walt Sterdan

Yes, I agree. She could cut herself badly with those sharp edges so I bet she's happy that @barbult bought the thickener. 

So, despite mte reservations about bugs, I bought it anyway.

You will be happy, I think.

edited August 2021

I ran into another problem. When I save a file with a thickened object in it and later reopen that file, the thickened object no longer has the resolution of the original object. It looks like the thickened object reverts to base resolution. If I disable and reenable the dynamic thickened object, it regains the high resolution of the original object.

Dynamic Thickened Object loses the high resolution of the original after saving and reopening the file.

Disabling and Reenabling the Dynamic Thickened Object restores the high resolution

This problem seems to be fixed with the 8/26/2021 update version 1.0.1.0. Thank you, Alberto!

File reopened loses thickened resolution.png
    1490 x 1936 - 3M
    Thickener disabled reenabled after file reopened.png
    1493 x 1936 - 3M
    edited August 2021

I set my original object to be Visible in Render = Off, so it wouldn't interfere with the thickened object when I rendered. I don't know if that is the right thing to do or not. The image rendered correctly, but when I saved the scene and opened it later to render again, it rendered incorrectly. Part of the thickened object was missing!

This problem seems to be fixed with the 8/26/2021 update version 1.0.1.0. Thank you, Alberto!

G8F Mix Hijab thickened_Camera.jpg
    2000 x 2600 - 3M

I'm trying a different product now: X-Fashion Clown Costume for Genesis 8 Female(s)

I'm getting a lot of warnings in the log file. I don't know if they are significant or not.

2021-08-17 03:59:29.890 Loaded file: XF-Clown Collar.duf
    2021-08-17 03:59:30.422 Loaded image XF_Clown_Collar_D03.jpg
    2021-08-17 03:59:30.735 Loaded image XF_Clown_Collar_T.jpg
    2021-08-17 03:59:31.095 Loaded image XF_Clown_Collar_D08.jpg
    2021-08-17 03:59:52.643 WARNING: Object::connect: No such signal DzScene::aboutToRender(DzRenderer)
    2021-08-17 03:59:52.643 WARNING: Object::connect:  (sender name:   'Scene')
    2021-08-17 03:59:52.643 WARNING: Object::connect: No such signal DzScene::renderFinished(DzRenderer)
    2021-08-17 03:59:52.643 WARNING: Object::connect:  (sender name:   'Scene')
    2021-08-17 04:00:37.731 WARNING: ..\..\..\..\..\src\sdksource\shapes\dzfacetmesh.cpp(7160): Index out of range in DzFacetMesh::getUVSet()
    2021-08-17 04:01:15.851 WARNING: ..\..\..\..\..\src\sdksource\shapes\dzshape.cpp(1729): Index out of range in DzShape::getMaterial()
    2021-08-17 04:01:15.851 WARNING: ..\..\..\..\..\src\sdksource\shapes\dzshape.cpp(1729): Index out of range in DzShape::getMaterial()
    2021-08-17 04:01:15.997 WARNING: ..\..\..\..\..\src\sdksource\shapes\dzfacetmesh.cpp(7160): Index out of range in DzFacetMesh::getUVSet()
    2021-08-17 04:02:25.792 WARNING: ..\..\..\..\..\src\sdksource\fileinput\dzassetdaz.cpp(5539): Could not find node parent.
    2021-08-17 04:02:25.955 WARNING: ..\..\..\..\..\src\sdksource\fileinput\dzassetdaz.cpp(2030): Failed to follow node.
    2021-08-17 04:02:25.955 File loaded in 0 min 0.2 sec.
    2021-08-17 04:02:25.957 Loaded file: XF-Clown Bottom.duf
    2021-08-17 04:02:26.498 Loaded image XF_Clown_Bottom_D03.jpg
    2021-08-17 04:02:58.400 WARNING: Object::connect: No such signal DzScene::aboutToRender(DzRenderer)
    2021-08-17 04:02:58.400 WARNING: Object::connect:  (sender name:   'Scene')
    2021-08-17 04:02:58.400 WARNING: Object::connect: No such signal DzScene::renderFinished(DzRenderer)
    2021-08-17 04:02:58.400 WARNING: Object::connect:  (sender name:   'Scene')
    2021-08-17 04:03:03.322 Loaded image XF_Clown_Bottom_M.jpg
    2021-08-17 04:03:03.490 Loaded image XF_Clown_Bottom_D03.jpg
    2021-08-17 04:03:03.578 Loaded image XF_Clown_Bottom_R.jpg
    2021-08-17 04:03:04.905 Loaded image XF_Clown_Bottom_D03.jpg
    2021-08-17 04:04:03.274 WARNING: ..\..\..\..\..\src\sdksource\shapes\dzfacetmesh.cpp(7160): Index out of range in DzFacetMesh::getUVSet()

edited August 2021

I tried the thickener on hair. It was kind of slow, compared to use on clothing, but it definitely made the hair look thicker. I used a tiny offset of 0.01. This might help some of those thin and wispy hairs we get some times.

Original

Thickened

Kanade Hair.jpg
    2000 x 1500 - 624K
    Kanade Hair Thickened Offset 0.01 Original Hidden.jpg
    2000 x 1500 - 635K
  • AllenArtAllenArt Posts: 7,145

barbult said:

yes

Thanks Alberto! 

edited August 2021

I tracked down a repeatable (at least for me) scenario that causes the viewport blockiness I mentioned earlier.

1. Open Daz Studio (I'm using DS 4.15.0.14 Public Beta).
    2. Load Genesis 8 Female.
    3. Put some clothes on her (I used Basic Wear Panties and Basic Wear Tank Top).
    4. Open the Draw Settings pane.
    5. In the Draw Settings pane:
      •     Set DrawStyle to NVIDIA Iray.
      •     In the Drawing section, set Manipulation Resolution to 1/8.
    6. In the Viewport, rotate the view around, and observe that while being manipulated, the viewport correctly goes to blocky low resolution and snaps back to full resolution as soon as movement stops.
    7. In the Scene pane, select one of the clothing pieces (I used Basic Wear Tank Top).
    8. Open the Thickener pane and click the "Create Dynamic thickened object" button.
    9. Click "Accept" in the New Dynamic thickened object window that pops up.
    10. In the Scene pane, select the "Dynamic thickened object".
    11. Open the Parameters pane.
    12. In the Parameters pane:
      •     Select "Thickener mesher".
      •     Click the "Enable" button.
    13. In the viewport, observe the the garment is now thick.
    14. In the Parameters pane Thickener mesher section:
      • Click the + on "Subdivision in border" to increase it from 0 to 1.
      • Click the + on "Subdivision in border" to increase it from 1 to 2.
    15. Observe that the viewport becomes that blocky low resolution view, even though you are not moving the view around.

Sometimes the viewport can be restored to full resolution by clicking in it, or disabling the Thickener mesher, but sometimes none of that works. The only fix seems to be to go to the Draw Settings pane and change the Manipulation Resolution to Normal and leave it there.It acts like the Thickener is leaving something in an unfinished state that makes Daz Studio think the viewport is being manipulated when it is not.

Blocky Viewport.png
    1189 x 1685 - 86K

I'm playing around with Static thickening now. There seems to be an issue with a strange border being created on a G8F's teeth when using the "Scale duplicated facets" option. (NOTE: the Thickener manual recommends using the default method (not scaling) for characters.) Only the teeth seem have the problem. The problem gets worse if "Subdivision in border" is applied. The border can be hidden in the surfaces tab to get around this issue. I wonder why it happens only to teeth?

Static Thickener G8F Teeth Problem.png
    1760 x 881 - 273K

Here are some interesting things I made with scaled Thickening of primitives.

Static Thickened deformed cylinder.jpg
    2000 x 1500 - 1016K
    Static Thickened torus.jpg
    2000 x 1500 - 2M
  • ThyranqThyranq Posts: 584

barbult said:

I tried the thickener on hair. It was kind of slow, compared to use on clothing, but it definitely made the hair look thicker. I used a tiny offset of 0.01. This might help some of those thin and wispy hairs we get some times.

Original

Thickened

That's really cool, I don't think I would've thought of that!

Subtle, but a noticeable difference - thanks for that! 

• RGcincyRGcincy Posts: 2,824
    edited August 2021

In my dForce experiments I've used a lot of primitives to create objects. Planes are of course 2-dimensional but so are the cut-outs in cylinders, spheres, and cubes are as well. So I went back to my very first experiemnt, a blanket made from a plane, and applied the thickener to it. Makes dForcing of primitives even more attractive. I also thickened the clothing.

With:

Without:

Thickener - dForce blanket.jpg
    807 x 638 - 367K
    Thickener - dForce blanket - none.jpg
    807 x 638 - 365K
    Post edited by RGcincy on

The blanket looks very good, Rich.

edited August 2021

I like the way the thickener works with Marvelous Designer clothes. I won't need to try to roll edges for thickness now.

MD Hana Outfit thickened_003.jpg
    2000 x 1500 - 2M

Thanks @Barbult. I like those primitives you made. And the clothing looks good too

edited August 2021

The following is not a bug just a consideration when using textures with regions of low or zero opacity. The thickener will duplicate the mesh but if the texture has opacity cutouts you will have two surfaces floating apart. This may or may not look good and in some circumstances it could even be desirable. Just something to keep in mind. 

Here's a closeup of a lace scarf.where you can see the two surfaces (I colored the thickened surface to differentiate them):

Here's the original scarf made from a 2D plane:

Thickener - lace scarf - 2 colors.jpg
    800 x 667 - 516K
    Thickener - lace scarf - 1 surface.jpg
    800 x 667 - 546K
    Post edited by RGcincy on