uberEnvironment2 IBL map axis is wrong

2»

Comments

• SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634
    edited December 1969

oh and even using the UE2 presets you will have to set what type of lighting you want. Ambient Only, Occlusion with soft shadows etc etc

• SertorialSertorial Posts: 962
    edited December 1969

Szark said:
    Just hit Accept and load a preset from the UE2 library or set up the HDRI map and set the settings manually.

sorry? I have already set an HDR map. I just wanted to fix the bug that means the light isn't coming from the direction it appears to from the image of the texture (like kitchen, or park or whatever). It's referred to higher up this thread. I understood that the script just fixed that?

But the fact that it has this dialog box with a pile of options suggests that it's doing more than just correcting the map rotation?

edited December 1969

You use the new Preset to load UE2, clcik accept and set the HDRI maps and settings. This will fix the yaw and pitch leaving the Guide Sphere in the correct position so it matches the UE2 light output.

You don't load UE2 and then use the Preset, that is not how it works.

edited December 1969

Szark said:
    You use the new Preset to load UE2, clcik accept and set the HDRI maps and settings. This will fix the yaw and pitch leaving the Guide Sphere in the correct position so it matches the UE2 light output.

aha! thanks.

How did you know that, by the way? can you read Japanese?

edited December 1969

The first page of this thread shows how to test, that was number one. Two Investigating the Fix in the Scene pane I discovered that it loads UE2 so an educated guess told me it loads UE2 and fixes the pitch and yaw misalignment. Then I tested and found it to be so. Since then all my UE2 Lighting has worked as I thought it should years ago. :)

edited December 1969

Szark said:

Actually, I can't get that to work. If I try to just load the preset I get this error (see pic). And if I load UE2 first and then apply the preset to it, UE2 disappears!

Untitled-2.jpg
    1191 x 739 - 237K
    edited December 1969

Just following a hunch.

Is this how you are doing it?

UE2fix_3.jpg
    1680 x 1050 - 683K
    UE2fix_2.jpg
    896 x 1001 - 189K
    UE2fix_1.jpg
    896 x 1001 - 394K
    edited December 1969

yes, but I am getting the error at stage 1

edited July 2013

Sorry I can't open DS4.6 as I am rendering in DS3 but last time I used it in DS4.6 it worked as it should. So I am affaid I am no help. You obviously put the fix in the right place for it to show up in the right place in the Content Library. Strike the underlined for now As I see you did a search to find this in the content library pane.

Go to Daz Studio Formats > My libaray > Light presets > Omnifreaker > UberEnvironment 2 > and see if the new fix icon is in the same place as all the other presets.

Post edited by Szark on
    edited July 2013

Szark said:
    Sorry I can't open DS4.6 as I am rendering in DS3 but last time I used it in DS4.6 it worked as it should. So I am affaid I am no help. You obviously put the fix in the right place for it to show up in the right place in the Content Library. Strike the underlined for now As I see you did a search to find this in the content library pane.

Go to Daz Studio Formats > My libaray > Light presets > Omnifreaker > UberEnvironment 2 > and see if the new fix icon is in the same place as all the other presets.

Aha!

I moved it to the right directory and it works fine now. I guess it was looking in a relative path and getting itself lost. Thanks

Post edited by Sertorial on
    edited December 1969

Ok go back and find the zipped file and read the readme. It has instructions how to and where to install in DS4.5+.

Take note of what files are what in that zipped file and go and find where you put the orginals and manually delete them. Once they are in the proper place then it should work. :) I had a hunch they weren't in the right place.

• 3dcheapskate3dcheapskate Posts: 2,689
    edited September 2013

Late to the party as usual...

...however I don't think there's anything wrong with the IBL map axis.
    (Edit: scratch that bit above, as after re-reading the thread there obviously is! But I don't think that's the whole story)

I'm 99% sure (again) that you need to plug an angular-mapped image into Lights > Basic >Color, and NOT a lat/long image (which is what all the documentation suggests, and all the supplied files are).

Try out this test and tell me whether I'm talking rubbish...
    (and then follow the link in the OP and explain why an angular map seems to produce perfect results with the UE2)

Edit: Yes, I'm talking rubbish! Thanks to feedback on that other thread I've found that my mistake was plugging a JPG into UE2.
    You mustn't do this - you need a correctly prepared TIF. A JPG that looks identical to the correctly prepared TIF produces completely different results.

Post edited by 3dcheapskate on
    edited December 1969

I wonder if this ever got resolved and for the record you can use HDRI in UE2 without converting it to Tiff. That happened a couple of versions ago.

• NoName99NoName99 Posts: 322
    edited December 1969

Szark said:
    I wonder if this ever got resolved and for the record you can use HDRI in UE2 without converting it to Tiff. That happened a couple of versions ago.

I've been plugging HDRI's into the .TIFF channel and have noticed that sometimes it works, and other times it doesn't.

UE2 is incredibly strange.