August 2021 - Daz 3D New User Challenge - Open Render Challenge

New User's Challenge - August 2021

Sponsored by DAZ 3D

Are you new to the 3D World? Are you at the beginning stages of learning 3D rendering? Have you been around for a little bit but feel you could benefit from some feedback or instruction? Have you been around awhile and would like to help other members start their creative journey? Well then come and join the fun as we host our newest render challenge.

New this year, we are breaking down each month into 2 different challenges. A Beginner Challenge and then also an Intermediate Challenge.

So which "Challenge" should you choose?

Follow the Beginner Challenge if you are:

• New to the New User Challenges
  • New to Daz Studio
  • Newer to 3D Rendering in General

Follow the Intermediate Challenge if you have:

• Participated in the New User Challenge for awhile
  • Know the basics of Daz Studio and would like to learn more in depth topics
  • Been using 3D Rendering Applications for awhile and feel comfortable with learning Intermediate Topics

"Open Render Challenge"

The Open Render Challenge is also referred to as a "free" month, where you can concentrate on using and combining the skills you learned in the past few challenges. Please be sure to mention in which Open Render Challenge (Beginner or Intermediate) you wish to enter into when you add your image to the thread. 

If you would like to review the previous topics and information you can find the topics/threads here:

Beginner/IntermediateComposition/Instancing, & Duplication
Beginner/IntermediateLighting/Light Effects
Beginner/IntermediatePosing/Posing II
Beginner/IntermediateUsing Props/Push Modifiers/Deformers
Beginner/IntermediateScenes and Landscapes/Working Modularly
Beginner/IntermediatePortrait Rendering/LIE

I will be checking in as will the rest of the Community Volunteers to try and help with anything you all may need.
For a list of the current challenge rules, please see this thread: Challenge Rules

Closing Date: August 31st, 2021

Comments

• Here's my start for the month.

august2021a.png
    1280 x 720 - 1M
  • DAZ_ann0314DAZ_ann0314 Posts: 2,814

Shinji Ikari 9th said:

Here's my start for the month.

Very nice start! Cant wait to see where you go with it! smiley When working on it I would explore how to creatively light the character you have in there as well as maybe adding in some atmospheric things. Very cool so far! smiley 

• ShackShack Posts: 22

Intermediate entry: The Founder.

Made with DAZD. This is G8M Trajan heavily morphed with the Alchemist's hair, Icabod's clothes, and a fly plaid from a Genesis kilt set. Frame designed and added using Photo Impact Pro 13.

The Founder.jpg
    898 x 1200 - 454K
  • Shinji Ikari 9thShinji Ikari 9th Posts: 1,163
    edited August 2021

Version B here, adding textures to the characters cybernetics, and things like smoke from his guns and spent shells on the ground. I also added some flames located out of view for more light.

On a different note the floor texture somehow got changed at some point and I don't have a clue as to how that happened.

Edit- I looked at things in the editor and the surfaces themselves weren't changed, but didn't seem to render right.

august2021b.png
    1280 x 720 - 1M
    Post edited by Shinji Ikari 9th on
  • katywhitekatywhite Posts: 414
    edited August 2021

Title: Taking Sponge for a Walk

Software: Daz 3D

Challenge: Intermediate

Guess I should be doing intermediate now since it has been a year I think... :) Feedback is much appreciated.

Pufflet Pulls Along Sponge.png
    2000 x 1600 - 5M
    Post edited by katywhite on
  • Title: Cloaked In Mystery

Software: Daz 3D

Challenge: Beginner

Hey new to Daz3D used poser some back in the day, been working hard learning over the past week. So heres my entry for beginner open render.

• Title: Cloaked in Mystery

cloakedgirlpotjpg.jpg
    1280 x 2276 - 783K
  • aprilshowers2065aprilshowers2065 Posts: 702
    edited August 2021

Decided to go with a bit of a silly one this time. Still fiddling around with the lighting and poses, so feedback would be much appreciated!

Title: Down The Rabbit Hole

Intermediate

Guess who pushed the big red button.wink

Down The Rabbit Hole Redo.png
    1200 x 1800 - 3M
    Post edited by aprilshowers2065 on
  • vamokvamok Posts: 238

calesdroid said:

Title: Cloaked in Mystery

Hello and welcome aboard. That is a great-looking entry you have there.

• Got version C rendered last night.

Besides changing the smoke from the gun in his right hand, I got the floor back to what I had in version A.  Don't know how it happened, but somehow some of the settings got zeroed out.

august2021c.png
    1280 x 720 - 2M

Shack said:

Made with DAZD. This is G8M Trajan heavily morphed with the Alchemist's hair, Icabod's clothes, and a fly plaid from a Genesis kilt set. Frame designed and added using Photo Impact Pro 13.

I really like him - the expression especially! Very fun! Nicely done smiley

edited August 2021

Shinji Ikari 9th said:

Version B here, adding textures to the characters cybernetics, and things like smoke from his guns and spent shells on the ground. I also added some flames located out of view for more light.

On a different note the floor texture somehow got changed at some point and I don't have a clue as to how that happened.

Edit- I looked at things in the editor and the surfaces themselves weren't changed, but didn't seem to render right. 

Could it be due to a change in the lighting possibly? Different surfaces can sometimes look very different depending on light so that may be why the floor looks different. 

Love all the glints of shine and the orangish lighting which adds to the mood and the overall image. smiley 

Post edited by DAZ_ann0314 on

katywhite said:

Guess I should be doing intermediate now since it has been a year I think... :) Feedback is much appreciated.

I've got no great ideas for you other than to say LOL - that is very adorable! smileyheart 

calesdroid said:

Very nice! Especially for only playing for a week - if you have any questions, please let us know!

Of note, you may want to play with the posing of the eyes, often when you angle them a bit up or down or to the side it can add a bit more life to them. That said, very nicely done! smiley 

edited August 2021

aprilshowers2065 said:

Decided to go with a bit of a silly one this time. Still fiddling around with the lighting and poses, so feedback would be much appreciated!

Title: Down The Rabbit Hole

Intermediate

Guess who pushed the big red button.wink

Very fun! smiley I'm not sure if you could do it (depends on morphs etc) but if you could get the dress on the little girl to sort of balloon more (while not exposing anything extra) I think it could really add to the effect. That said, you may not be able to depending on what morphs etc are available for the dress. 

Post edited by DAZ_ann0314 on
  • TynkereTynkere Posts: 834
    edited August 2021

Fun stuff from everyone so far.

With Olympics, thought I might practice rigging and kitbashing.  I’ve forgotten how to round off sharp edges in Hexagon.

Also skin settings for guys.  He’s wearing lip gloss and has no hair on his arms.  If they make fibermesh eyebrows seems like they’d make something for arm hair, etc.

I guess this will be ‘intermediate’ if I can figure out how to pose figures on the gymnastics stuff.  He's calling because no one else is in the gym...

DazEntry1-V1.png
    1462 x 1096 - 2M
    Post edited by Tynkere on
    edited August 2021

Somethign goes here like my password and credit card information.  Otherwise "Something Might Happen."

Something like this for example...

===================
    So what I'd really intended...

Suggestions welcome-- esp. how to draw attention to gymnast in RH corner.  Technically the gym rat & child are pointing at him, but with all he mirrors-- guy on pommel horse is almost an afterthought.

Still haven’t figured out how to round sharp edges on all the cubes used to make the set. Suggestions?

As for the gymnast pose-- I got lucky.  The gymnastics props came with some basic poses. : )

error.png
    600 x 513 - 59K
    DazContest1-V2.png
    1462 x 1096 - 3M
    Post edited by Tynkere on
  • Tynkere said:

Somethign goes here like my password and credit card information.  Otherwise "Something Might Happen."

That just means that the site didn't respond to the Cloudflare (caching service) request. Payment/account pages don't even go through Cloudflare, as far as I know.

===================
    So what I'd really intended...

Suggestions welcome-- esp. how to draw attention to gymnast in RH corner.  Technically the gym rat & child are pointing at him, but with all he mirrors-- guy on pommel horse is almost an afterthought.

Still haven’t figured out how to round sharp edges on all the cubes used to make the set. Suggestions?

As for the gymnast pose-- I got lucky.  The gymnastics props came with some basic poses. : )

DAZ_ann0314 said:

katywhite said:

I've got no great ideas for you other than to say LOL - that is very adorable! smileyheart 

Aw, thank you! =)

edited August 2021

Title: Having A Snack

Software: Daz 3D, Photoshop (only to patch fireflies)

Caption: Hmm? Thought I heard something...

Challenge: Intermediate (2nd entry)

Pounce Meal_edited.png
    2000 x 2000 - 6M
    Post edited by katywhite on
  • Aki3dAki3d Posts: 142
    edited December 2021

aki3d

Post edited by Aki3d on

Richard Haseltine said:

Tynkere said:

That just means that the site didn't respond to the Cloudflare (caching service) request. Payment/account pages don't even go through Cloudflare, as far as I know.

Sorry about that.  Was a feeble attempt at humor.

I regret you had to take time and clear things up so to speak.

Lesson learned & won’t happen again!   You’re always very patient with us.  : )

====
    Back to our normal programming as they say.

• aprilshowers2065aprilshowers2065 Posts: 702
    edited August 2021

Thanks for the suggestion @DAZ_ann0314. The dress doesn't have any morphs, but I managed to get the skirt to balloon up using a dformer. 

Down The Rabbit Hole Redo2.png
    1200 x 1800 - 3M
    Post edited by aprilshowers2065 on
  • OriginalSamhainOriginalSamhain Posts: 38
    edited August 2021

Caption: Persephone & Hades
    Software: Daz 3D Studio, GIMP (only to balance colours and reduce some noise)

Post edited by OriginalSamhain on
  • ItsCeoItsCeo Posts: 471

aki3d said:

india tryptichon

I will start with my only negative - the tryptic. I don't care for it. My OCD sets off alarm bells that the black overlays are not in the same place on the columns. I just think it distracts from the whole. BUT... I DO love the symmetry you have in the overall piece - and the lighting is really nice!

• I was hit with a second idea this evening for this month that I had to try and bring to life.

Here's the start to what I've got going on it.

august2021-2a.png
    1280 x 720 - 1M
  • Alewis478Alewis478 Posts: 78
    edited August 2021

Beginner challenge

Daz Studio

My friend made a Champions character named Octoprohet, his was more sci-fi in nature, this is my version.

Octoprophet

https://gcdn.daz3d.com/gallery/image/1165243/1628912575/main.jpg

Products: 

Sunstone Chamber

Octopus

RY Frederic

Muels Storm of Magic

Wise Wizard clothing

Octophropet.jpg
    1920 x 1920 - 2M
    Post edited by Alewis478 on
  • Shack said:

Very nice, the lighting is in the perfect spot to make his eyes look very interesting, I was immediatley drawn to them. 

• calesdroid said:

Wow, nice work. 

• OriginalSamhain said:

Caption: Persephone & Hades
    Software: Daz 3D Studio, GIMP (only to balance colours and reduce some noise)

That's some amazing hand posing there. That always gets me.