August 2021 - Daz 3D New User Challenge - Open Render Challenge

Comments

• Aki3dAki3d Posts: 142
    edited December 2021

Post edited by Aki3d on
  • Version B of my second idea.

I'd noticed some light sources to make use of in the room that my character is entering so I made use of them.

august2021-2b.png
    1280 x 720 - 1M
  • StargazeyStargazey Posts: 238

"A Steampunk Traffic Jam". My entry in the Intermediate Challange.

Although I've been using DS for a while now, I've only recently started experimenting with Iray.  This is my biggest / most complicated scene yet! Postwork done in Affinity Photo.

Steampunk Street Scene 02A.jpg
    1133 x 907 - 1M
  • ItsCeoItsCeo Posts: 471

Stargazey said:

Although I've been using DS for a while now, I've only recently started experimenting with Iray.  This is my biggest / most complicated scene yet! Postwork done in Affinity Photo.

I love this! The scene is interesting with many things for me to like. I like the red tones on the machines and the little wisps of smog is perfect! Great job!

• Stargazey said:

Although I've been using DS for a while now, I've only recently started experimenting with Iray.  This is my biggest / most complicated scene yet! Postwork done in Affinity Photo.Love the smopk

Very cool. Love the smoke.

• OriginalSamhainOriginalSamhain Posts: 38
    edited August 2021

Can I change my entry? I did this using tutorials from the instancing challenge and a lot of creative lighting, it just feels a bit more suitable for this challenge than my other one. 

Title: Awakening

Challenge: Intermediate

Storage .png
    1200 x 800 - 1M
    Post edited by OriginalSamhain on
  • 2nd entry for Intermediate. Came up with two slightly different versions, one with and without a glow around the angel - would like to hear which one people think looks better! Other feedback, also appreciated.

Title: Gentle Interference

Caption: Once we find ourselves on a dark path, sometimes it takes a gentle hand to guide us back.

Gentle Interference6.png
    2000 x 1714 - 5M
    Gentle Interference7.png
    2000 x 1714 - 5M
  • Hi everyone. In this one I experimented with using multiple figures, posing and lighting. Quite a challenge for me, especially because it pushes my rendering capabilities to the max. Suggestions and comments are always welcome.

Title: In the moment, at Twilight Park

Entry: Beginner

small amount of postwork in Gimp

Twilight Park.jpg
    1015 x 881 - 881K
  • sueyasueya Posts: 825

This is the first version of my image for the Intermediate Challenge. I have changed the textures of the Ballroom to make it look more like a Church. I am wondering whether to add Depth of field. I would welcome any other constructive feedback 

edited August 2021

sueya said:

This is the first version of my image for the Intermediate Challenge. I have changed the textures of the Ballroom to make it look more like a Church. I am wondering whether to add Depth of field. I would welcome any other constructive feedback 

With a more realistic lighting the render would look much better.

Is this a poser render?

First of all turn of this IBL or put its value very low. The IBL is "waching" out the whole image.

turn on the ambient occlusion. Without AO every Render in Poser or 3dl looks flat without any life.

Adjust the shadows. They are much to bright. If you've done all this, the picture will look for shure much better.

The next thing will be the atmosphere. This render would be perfect for light wich comes through the window.

You could use a self luminating shader for the window and the global illumination for the room.

It will increase the render time but it is worth every minute.

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on

@aki3d There are two lights in the scene with the option of ambient occlusion - do I use shadows?

I am using 3Delight.

• TynkereTynkere Posts: 832
    edited August 2021

Used to work commercial art at an ad agency.  An editor would’ve labeled this project “NF” -- meaning, ‘No Future.’  (Design is flawed-- don’t waste time with it, come up with something else.)  I had fun with mirrors reflecting mirrors though. ; )  

-------
    Change Log:
    Added black jacket to girl.  Photoshop showed jacket too black & clipping.  Remove image map & adjust surface too see folds in fabric.  Tweak face/neck pose.  Tweak feet.  Add noise to white trim on shoes.  They were clipping too.

Mrs. Chow -- use different wig.  Adjust skin surface (she looked orange.)  Adjust teeth surface.  Tweak face/neck pose. Tweak feet/big toe.

RY Stephen -- adjust surface settings for less glossy skin. Tweak face/neck.  Tweak feet/toes

Fix vertical tile & offset on custom sign.

Title: “Stay Healthy”
    Contest: intermediate - open
    Apps: DS 4.12 | PS-CS-3

I enjoyed reading through the topic and seeing everyones renders.   Best wishes yes

DazContest1Version3.png
    1947 x 1460 - 4M
    Post edited by Tynkere on

sueya said:

@aki3d There are two lights in the scene with the option of ambient occlusion - do I use shadows?

I am using 3Delight.

There has to be a light with shadows turned off!

Look inside of the trumpet, why is there light inside the instrument? It makes no sense.

Turn on raytraced shadow in every light. 

For the global illumination GI and the ambient occlusion AO you will need the uberenvironment2 from omnifreaker, which comes with Daz under light presets.

There is also something wrong with the shaders of the instruments. It doesn't look like metal.

Perhaps you have used an iray shader in 3dl. 

edited August 2021

sueya said:

This is the first version of my image for the Intermediate Challenge. I have changed the textures of the Ballroom to make it look more like a Church. I am wondering whether to add Depth of field.

I would welcome any other constructive feedback 

You've been around a long time.  I admire your work.  It has a soft gentle quality.  I hope that makes sense.  Probably not because it's late!  0_o

Anyway, I hope the following isn't seen as disruptive or disrespectful.  I'm here to learn just like the rest of us!

So I was curious and did a quick 3Delight render.  Ubersurface2 -- G8M default mats.  For the trumpet I used an old Lumina preset.  I like AoA spots.  Using 2 of them.  One for actor and another for across the room to bring out reflections.

Good job on composition, lights, and the background.  Preset or recipe for brass instruments and the scene will be jammin'  yes

Best!

3DL-Brass.png
    1080 x 810 - 2M

I have added some depth of field and ambient occlusion to my image. I hope I have improved the depth in my image.

I have only just seen the comments by Tynkere and @aki3d so I will see if there is anything else to be done by following their advice.

Any other constructive feedback is welcome.

sueya said:

I have added some depth of field and ambient occlusion to my image. I hope I have improved the depth in my image.

I have only just seen the comments by Tynkere and @aki3d so I will see if there is anything else to be done by following their advice.

Any other constructive feedback is welcome.

Much better now.

I would work on the shader. Give some reflection to the glas of the window, to the brass of the instruments, to the skin and to the hair. The best depth effect you get, when you have something in the front, something in the center and something in the background. These three layers should be looking different from each other with the help of brightness, color, DOF.

A much darker wall behind them would be a good contrast with the bright windows and would help to seperate the musicians from the Background. Something blurry (because of DOF) in front of the camera (candles, heads of the audience etc.) would help to give more depth. If you put a spot light behind/ above the musicians you can create a rim light on the shoulder and head. This is also a way of seperating the center from the background. One of the most important things in photography are reflections in the eyes.

Giving the eyes a reflective surface and positioning a point light in that way, that a reflection can be seen in the eyes is sometimes a little bit of work, but the result worth it. 

More lights with lower intensity (to not wash out the shadows) giving more interesting reflections. You can also lit a plane behind the camera with a spotlight to get a bigger bright object which can be seen in reflections but doesn't make the scene brighter.

The color of the lights are also very important. A little bit of bright orange gives a much warmer light, than the standard white, which looks very often like a cool neon light.

I hope it helps.

Tynkere Is that Lumina preset still available anywhere? I'm having difficulty finding a metal that looks good in 3Delight.

• aprilshowers2065aprilshowers2065 Posts: 699
    edited August 2021

2nd version, adjusted the tone mapping slightly so the items on the desk are a little clearer.

Gentle Interference.png
    2000 x 1714 - 5M
    Post edited by aprilshowers2065 on

I have managed to implement some of the suggestions from other forum members

Please feel free to give me more constructive feedback even though I am not sure I will have time to act on it

edited August 2021

sueya said:

Tynkere Is that Lumina preset still available anywhere? I'm having difficulty finding a metal that looks good in 3Delight.

Lumina Materials Library skew number is 30801.  I couldn’t find it via internet search either.  Had to log into my account.  

Good news is Wowie also has a product called Awe Shading Kit.  He put that one up at Rendo as a free download.  Unzip manually, or zip compatible with the DIM.

Anyway, “Awe Shading Kit” has presets for metal & other common surfaces + utilities.  Works with HD Saxophone and HD Trumpet.

Looking forward to seeing what your render looks like if you decide to get the metal to reflect more.  You have a unique style.  Be interested to see what you do with the music instruments and her microphone.  smiley

This will have to be my final version of my image.

I have changed the floor texture and managed to get some reflection on it.

I did try using the Awe shader kit with some success on the instruments

• aprilshowers2065aprilshowers2065 Posts: 699
    edited August 2021

Third and probably final version; adjusted the lighting slightly, as well as the girl's hair.

Down The Rabbit Hole3.png
    1200 x 1800 - 4M
    Post edited by aprilshowers2065 on
  • Alias52Alias52 Posts: 283
    edited August 2021

Apocalypse Soon.

Intermediate.

https://gcdn.daz3d.com/gallery/image/1168630/1630456064/main.jpg

So, my computer died this month. Had to get a new power supply in it and managed to sneak in some extra RAM and a slightly better GPU. Would have liked more time to work on this. Loved the Steampunk traffic render!

Post edited by Alias52 on
  • This challenge is now closed. Thank you to everyone who participated heart

• August 2021

Showcased Participants for the August Beginner Open Render Challenge

calesdroid

aki3d

isis4444merlin

Showcased Participants for the August Intermediate Open Render Challenge

Tynkere

aprilshowers2065

OriginalSamhain

• Very nice everyone. Some cool stuff in there.

I hope my reply makes sense.  I'm a bit under the weather.  Where I live, a desert wind will blow in about once a year.  It turns everyone into drugged zombies on decongestants.  0_o

So Congrats to winners!  Everyone who participated.  Being 'featured' is very humbling.  Thank you very much.  : )

• Thank you so much!

• Oh thank you! Congrats to all of the other winners; very nice renders everyone!

• Alias52Alias52 Posts: 283

Great work folks!