Bryce 7.1 and "Out of Memory"

2»

Comments

• Dave SavageDave Savage Posts: 2,433
    edited December 1969

Yes you can force the flag with Bryce, but that does make it less stable and we can not support that.

Evidently not.

I'm on a Mac and have no personal experience with LAA, but all I've ever heard (with you being the only exception) are glowing reports of how it has dramatically helped people to overcome memory issues... Not a single one has reported it making the application more unstable. :)

• srieschsriesch Posts: 4,241
    edited December 1969

I appreciate the extra information, even if it comes as bad news, as I can make a more informed decision with the added info. I haven't yet decided if I want to back LAA out or keep using it.

I would be curious if somebody could pin a crash or other problem on it (reproduce the problem, uninstall LAA, have problem go away.) Although perhaps that's not possible if the problem would only happen when extra memory was being used, since that scene wouldn't work without LAA in the first place.

@TheSavage64, I do crash Bryce periodically, however I currently have no way of knowing if any crashes that happened after having started using LAA could be related in any way or not, or or would have happened anyway without LAA. So while I've never specifically suspected LAA of causing any problems, that doesn't mean I haven't experienced them without realizing it was a cause. I've had only positive input for LAA because it did indeed rescue one scene, and didn't see any obvious increase in problems, but admittedly that one data point (from me) isn't a lot to go on.

• edited December 1969

I appreciate the extra information, even if it comes as bad news, as I can make a more informed decision with the added info. I haven't yet decided if I want to back LAA out or keep using it.

I would be curious if somebody could pin a crash or other problem on it (reproduce the problem, uninstall LAA, have problem go away.) Although perhaps that's not possible if the problem would only happen when extra memory was being used, since that scene wouldn't work without LAA in the first place.

@TheSavage64, I do crash Bryce periodically, however I currently have no way of knowing if any crashes that happened after having started using LAA could be related in any way or not, or or would have happened anyway without LAA. So while I've never specifically suspected LAA of causing any problems, that doesn't mean I haven't experienced them without realizing it was a cause. I've had only positive input for LAA because it did indeed rescue one scene, and didn't see any obvious increase in problems, but admittedly that one data point (from me) isn't a lot to go on.

once again, bryce used to crash on me a LOT, before i installed large address aware. i am one of those glowing responses the previous poster spoke of. funny thing is, once i installed the large address aware patch, the crashes stopped immediately. i suppose in my uneducated way that this is because the program isn't straining as much to deal with all the polygons i am dealing with at one time, which frankly is always a lot. whatever the reason, it used to crash on me to the point of insanity. i was pulling out my hair in frustration, and there is a lot of it to pull out, as my hair is longer than my wife's hair, lol. been using LAA for months now, and not one single crash. not recommending it mind you, that puts me in a bad position, something like telling someone to stop taking their medication without being a doctor. all i am saying is that it has been an absolute miracle for me. take that however you want, and best of luck.

• FishtalesFishtales Posts: 6,043
    edited December 1969

I have been using LAA too since reading about it here on the forums and don't have any problems with Bryce because of it.

I have a scene with a few elements in it that has Bryce using nearly 3 GB to render, I can also save the scene without any bother. The only time Bryce stops working and crashes is if I add another character, in this case a wolf. The scene renders fine using just over the 3GB but crashes when I try to save the scene. I have tried it with and without that last wolf and it does the same thing every time. I haven't tried rendering the scene without LAA but I will and report back :-)

• FishtalesFishtales Posts: 6,043
    edited December 1969

I turned off LAA for Bryce and tried loading the scene. It crashed from the start and with each item removed it crashed at a different point, farther into the load, until it eventually loaded. All the wolves had to be removed from the scene only leaving the reindeer.

Image 1 is the full scene with LAA enabled. Four is the maximum wolves adding another one crashes Bryce when trying to save the scene although it will render it.

Image 2 is the scene that is reloaded into Bryce without Bryce crashing with LAA removed.

I don't know how Bryce manages memory when saving scenes, it must load extra stuff into memory first, but it always crashes when saving a scene when the scene itself using 3 GB of memory. LAA does make a big difference when used with Bryce going by my findings.

( So if the scene is rendering and using approx. 3GB of memory then remove some items before saving or you will lose all your work :-) )

checking-the-menu-crash.jpg
    1000 x 556 - 437K
    checking-the-menu.jpg
    1000 x 556 - 502K
  • edited December 1969

Fishtales said:
    I turned off LAA for Bryce and tried loading the scene. It crashed from the start and with each item removed it crashed at a different point, farther into the load, until it eventually loaded. All the wolves had to be removed from the scene only leaving the reindeer.

Image 1 is the full scene with LAA enabled. Four is the maximum wolves adding another one crashes Bryce when trying to save the scene although it will render it.

Image 2 is the scene that is reloaded into Bryce without Bryce crashing with LAA removed.

I don't know how Bryce manages memory when saving scenes, it must load extra stuff into memory first, but it always crashes when saving a scene when the scene itself using 3 GB of memory. LAA does make a big difference when used with Bryce going by my findings.

( So if the scene is rendering and using approx. 3GB of memory then remove some items before saving or you will lose all your work :-) )

yes, there is still a limit to how many polygons bryce can handle before it coughs up a lung and dies even after patching the executable with LAA. however, that limit is MUCH higher than it was previously. in my case, it warns me that it can't handle it, and i am not allowed to save or render until i remove the straw that broke the camel's back, usually a tree or a figure loaded from Daz Studio like the example Fishtales gave.

Its not LAA's fault how bryce reacts to limitations. Its no different than without LAA, except that it happens after a MUCH higher polygon count.

If you guys really want us to stop resorting to such desperate measures, give us a viable option, such as the 64bit version that is so long overdue. We hear no indication that such is even being considered, so given today's demanding standards, those of us still clinging on to bryce will probably do what we have to do to keep up as best we can. Die hard Bryce fans such as myself are loathe to give up our beloved interface, and the time spent getting to know this program, but we are becoming a dying breed over one issue, Bryce just can not handle the renders that other programs can. The twenty dollar price tag only goes so far. I would gladly pay much more for a 64bit version, but honestly, i am being seduced by cinema 4d as i am writing this, being as the church i go to has offered to help me get a copy of it at a drastically reduced non-profit organization price.

heck, the only reason i am not using 3dstudio max, which i had two years of training in college with is that i can't afford it, and don't want to resort to pirated software.

Don't let bryce die on us guys. give us that 64bit version, and i would wager that many people would come right back to bryce, even at a much higher price tag.

i still love bryce lighting and rendering, but it sorta sucks that we have to use every trick in the book to do any sort of a render that can even begin to compare to what a 64bit program can do.

anyone else aching for a 64bit version of bryce feel free to say "here, here" or something to that effect :-/

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

Well I make my love of Bryce known with every post I make (and there are a few of those around the forums).

• BrycescaperBrycescaper Posts: 148

FireFoxx156 said:

I've just had this out memory error I can't see how this can happen as i have 16gb of ram can any one explain how this happens
    thanks

It may be happening because Bryce can only address 2gb of your available ram and that limit has been exceeded or, if you are using LAA tool already, it make be because it has exceeded the 3.4gb limit as mentioned in the post above. Either way, a single instance of Bryce cannot do justice to your 16gb of ram, because of the limitations of the software and the OS it is running under.

THAT's what I've been looking for!!!

I posted on a recent (4/-20-2016) thread on if I would get a 32 GB memory PC whether my file sizes would fit more than a 16GB PC. Evidently Bryce won't go past my own max sizes on a 16 (600MB .br7, 1.2GB~ unpacked. I also use LAA, obviously. So a 32 GB system is a waste of money. It still puzzles me that since Bryce works off of RAM, why Bryce file sizes should be still limited even though you have acres of space waiting to be used. Somebody, please beg and grovel the DAZ delevelopment team to release a 64 bit version so these limitations can be lifted.Bryce is as far as I am concerned, totally complrete as software but the increasing size of newer figure/models are placing heavy limitations on what Bryce can do. Guess I'll stick to getting another 16GB PC.

• akmerlowakmerlow Posts: 1,124

but it always crashes when saving a scene when the scene itself using 3 GB of memory.

Just finally experienced similar things. Got some scene from DAZ Studio into Bryce, and it was big both on polys and textures, so... it took up 3644 mb in ram, thanks to LAA. Trying to save gave "out of memory!" notification, and it's nice that bryce didn't crash but warned instead. *and without textures that scene eats around 1 gb ram, which is ~ok.

• akmerlow said:

*and without textures that scene eats around 1 gb ram, which is ~ok.

This is the key! Many users pay attention to the large number of polygons in the scene during the collapse of Bryce. This is not entirely true. More precisely, completely wrong! The size of raster textures plays a very large role.
    If, in the above example, Fishtales halved the texture of wolves and deer, then he could well have saved his scene. Judging by the size of the render (1000x556), texture size is sufficient for these animals (128x128 or 256x256). And if it is 2048x2048, which is not required for this render, then the program may crash.
    And further. Where possible, replace raster textures with procedural ones.
    In this work, I applied a procedural texture to all low-poly cows:
    https://www.daz3d.com/gallery/#images/73422 and no memory problems.

• February 2024. Been using Bryce since the late 90s. Tried giving it up and keep coming back. My 64bit pc and I are still waiting for Bryce 8. It's so easy and enjoyable to use. My portfolio has been up on Renderosity since 2002.

David aka Atomic Anvil
    www.davidmikulec.com