Select only outside faces

edited December 1969 in Hexagon Discussion

I have torus with thickness applied and a section cut out of the top to show the inside. Is there a way to select all the outside faces only so I can apply a different shading domain/material from the inside faces?

Comments

• RoygeeRoygee Posts: 2,247
    edited December 1969

You mean something like this?

For the inside- or outside, select a face, loop select - you may have to click twice on loop if the first click selects in the wrong direction. Hold shift and press the + button on the numpad until all you want for one shader is selected.

Define that as a shading domain, give it a material then select unassigned faces, new shading domain and material.

Hope that helps:-)

torus.jpg
    800 x 567 - 59K
  • edited August 2012

ragaray said:
    Is there a way to select all the outside faces only so I can apply a different shading domain/material from the inside faces?

Select any face on the outside surface and hold down your "shift" and "+" keys. This will cause your selected face to "grow" to cover all contiguous faces.

BTW, if you ever need to work on only the INSIDE geometry, you can do the same as above and then hide the selected outside faces.

ADD:

Damn, Roy!! I saw your image and your "like this?" comment, but I swear I didn't see your instructions below that! I think I must be going daft... :)

Post edited by emfederin_9bc0c524c8 on
  • RoygeeRoygee Posts: 2,247
    edited December 1969

Snap!

Hey, great minds think alike, fools.........

It all adds to the knowledge base Lol

• edited December 1969

I'll give it a try tonight!
    My torus is similar except only a window is cut out of the top, not the full groove so it was hard for me to select all of the faces individually.

• AscaniaAscania Posts: 1,838
    edited December 1969

ragaray said:
    I'll give it a try tonight!
    My torus is similar except only a window is cut out of the top, not the full groove so it was hard for me to select all of the faces individually.

Then you're doing something wrong. Loop selection is embarrassingly easy to do. The program even has a special function alone for that task.

And if you find shift-klicking on faces one-by-one with some minor adjustments of the viewing angle inbetween hard you really need to review your workflow and your expectations.

• edited December 1969

Yeah I have a lot to learn. The Shift + was what I needed :cheese: