Translating Duplicated Nodes

I've been trying to make a dulplicate of a figure and her clothes. When I duplicated nodes, I was able to translate the figure out of the same spot, but the clothes did not come with her. I was able to drag over the underwear, but not the shirt. I want to drag it from the same positoona dn pose so it fits just as it did before. I looked at related threads and did not find how to do it. Why do some things move and others don't?

I'm using Daz 4.15 Pro, Win 10, and it's a Gen 8/8.1 outfit dForce Sigurd Viking shield maiden outfit, very recent, with an 8.1 figure. I did use the mesh grabber on it earlier. The figure is in a pose but I've had it happen with Gen 8 without a pose with her hair not moving.

Comments

• Make sure that the duplicated items clothing are Fitted To the duplicated figure, they should then follow automatically - you can see 9and change) the figure fitted to in the Constraints section of the Parameters pane.

• GordigGordig Posts: 9,151

Did you duplicate the nodes individually, or duplicate node hierarchy?

• mschultz2312mschultz2312 Posts: 8
    edited June 2021

I found a solution, but it didn't work the second time I tried it.

You need to select all the things you want to move (the scene tab is usually good) and then go to Create -> Group and name it something descriptive and then you'll be able to move everything together. It's like Illustrator or Photoshop. I just wish that grouping was optional, but I can still kind of see why it is done this way.

Daz, if you're reading this, I think this would be a good basic skill to put in the tutorials if it's not already in there. I've been struggling with this for months. 

Shout out to Black Sun Comics on YouTube for providing this answer.

But there's a problem. I made duplicate nodes from a group and made those nodes a group and then when I tried to move them, the figure and the underwear moved, but not the outfit. Gen 8.1 female. Mage outfit. Can anyone tell me what duplicating nodes really dioes? Are they somehow linked to the original? Why didn't grouping work the second time?

Post edited by mschultz2312 on
  • Threads merged.

Have you checked that the duplicate items you want to move are still fitted (or in the case of props, parented) to the duplicated figure? That is the fix, what you are doing with grouping seems to be an awkward work-around.

• Thanks for the help. I didn't try that yet. So when you go to add a costume to your figure, do you typically Apply it or Fit it? It sounds like Fitting it off the bat would make the most sense. Why is there an Apply option then?

• Where are you looking? Usually  fitted items fit to the selected figure, and pop-up the AutoFit dialogue if it isn't the one they were made for, automatically.

• I found a reason for why it wasn't working. You have to duplicate node heigharchies instead of just duplicating nodes. If you just duplicate the nodes, you just get the figure. 

I found this video on YouTube about how to assign a keyboard shortcut for this operation in case anyone is interested:

But now I've run into a different problem. I started a thread about it in the link below. What do you do when you duplicate the nodes, and you highlight the new nodes, and you move, but nothing moves except the arrows? There was this dark gray highlight on the original object that would not go away that may have been causing the problem, but when it moved to another object, the duplicated hair still didn't move. What's going on this time?

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/511606/what-is-the-dark-gray-selection-bar-in-the-scene-tab-and-why-can-t-i-move-anything-because-of-it#latest

Daz Strange Highlight.png
    398 x 273 - 22K