Suddenly cannot select any G8's body parts!

mwasielewski1990mwasielewski1990 Posts: 315
edited July 2021 in Daz Studio Discussion

Hi!

When editing a scene, I suddenly stumbled upon a problem - ALL of my G8 figures in the scene lost the ability to be selected with the universal tool! (along with their individual body parts)

Strangest part is, in the parameters pane, all of them have Selectable: ON.

Also, the little selectable icon in the scene pane is enabled for all of them...

In the universal selection tool settings, selection mode is set to "node".

What can it be? I'm losing my mind over this :(

EDIT: sorry, forgot to mention: DAZ 4.15, Win 10 64-bit.

EDIT 2: strange thing. When I re-load the scene, the problem still persists. When I make a new scene, and load a fresh G8, the problem is gone. What the hell?

Post edited by mwasielewski1990 on

Comments

• Is there something enclosing the scene?

• Richard Haseltine said:

Is there something enclosing the scene?

In what meaning exactly? The scene consists of a couple of G8 characters inside an indoor location

• robertswwwrobertswww Posts: 763

mwasielewski1990 said:

Richard Haseltine said:

In what meaning exactly? The scene consists of a couple of G8 characters inside an indoor location

I believe what @Richard Haseltine was trying to say, is that if your camera or view is outside of one of the walls, windows, etc. of your indoor location, then you will click and be selecting the wall, window, etc. instead of the character.  

• Selecta cascades so if it's in a group that maybe the cause. the other is if you have them in a volume box or a funky camera rig. try changing to perspective view. when you click on them does something highlight in the scene tab? are you in select mode? can you select them if you switch to material select mode?
  • I have same problem after saving my figure as Actor with MATERIAL preset only ( not morph) . Loading pose to ( saved) those "actors" also doesnt work . 

• rrwardrrward Posts: 556

mwasielewski1990 said:

Richard Haseltine said:

Try going through the scene menu and turning off the selectability of the room objects (this makes it easier to select figure parts even if you're not having problems). I've had walls between the current camera and my figure block my ability to select the figure and not be able to see the wall because I'm looking at it from behind. I almost always turn off selectabilty of any object I'm not going to direclty manipulate as having everything in the scene light up whenever the mouse moves over them annoys me. Usually I'll create a group for these objects and drop them in that. I also do that with spot lights and cameras as they can get in the way as well.

• Sorry for digging an old topic, but just wanted to let you know that nothing helped... 

I saved the character's poses, made a new scene, loaded the enviroment, actors, and re-applied the poses. Only this helped. I checked every item in the scene - nothing was blocking the viewport.

I seriously have no idea what happened indecision

• robertswwwrobertswww Posts: 763

mwasielewski1990 said:

Sorry for digging an old topic, but just wanted to let you know that nothing helped... 

I saved the character's poses, made a new scene, loaded the enviroment, actors, and re-applied the poses. Only this helped. I checked every item in the scene - nothing was blocking the viewport.

If nothing is blocking you from selecting your figure in the viewport, then here are 4 more things to check for...

1. In the Scene tab, look at your character and its sub-nodes in the list and next to the eyeball icon you will see an Arrow icon (this is in the Selectable column). If the arrow has a small "X" next to it, then you cannot select that body part and/or figure. Click the "X" to remove it.  

2. Go to Window -> Panes -> Tool Settings and make sure "Active Tool" is set to: Node Selection. Then below, make sure: "Node Selection Mode" is set to: "Node", if it is set to "Root Node Only" you may not be able to select your figure's body parts/nodes.

3.In the Parameters tab, hover over each of the Transforms for the bones and make sure they are not locked. If they are, click the lock symbol to unlock. Also under Parameters -> Posing, make sure the Pose Controls are not locked.

4. Make sure you are using a selection tool, such as the Node Selection Tool, or the Universal Tool to select the figure.

• crosswindcrosswind Posts: 4,727

mwasielewski1990 said:

Sorry for digging an old topic, but just wanted to let you know that nothing helped... 

So even if there no node is selected in Scene Pane, when you make your mouse hover around your figure, is there a highlight shown in yellow color, like the attached screenshot?

SNAG-2021-8-27 0108.png
    1704 x 1177 - 449K