LilSideChallenge #12 - Another Fine Myth

MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675
edited July 2021 in Carrara Discussion

LilSideChallenge #12 - Fates n Furies Another Fine Myth

Render your interpretation of a mythological scene.

a time long ago, when the gods were petyy and cruel and plagued mankind with suffering,
and warrior princesses roamed the lands

the Fates  -  the Furies, the furries
Minerva turning poor girls into spiders  -  Apollo
 chasing girls turning into trees
Zeus chasing ganymede, throwing thunder bolts
Aphrodite and the golden apple, Athena, Hephaestes, Narcissus in chains
argonauts fighting skeletal dead. 
unicorns, centaurs, nymphs, dragons, bunyips
toga party, trojan heroes

Release the Krakken !!

doesnt need to be human.  could be 7 furious cats

10 bux GC prize 

challenge deadline end of August 2021
will start a separate thread for entries & open vote

da rulez, 

rendered in Carrara, plugins okay, including octane ur lux
prefer non post work,  postworked sigs and frames okay.

animation clips and gifs, hosting media from another site okay

enter as many entries as you want.

and have fun!!

Cheers!

+ Naiads, Dryads, Striggas and their male counterparts

Post edited by Mistara on

Comments

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

Myth inc was a series of novels, read years ago.  pet dragons.  trollops. apprentice wizards.  loved these books.  by the authoer of thieves world.

After the murder of his master Garkin, Skeeve, an apprentice magician, joins forces with a demon dimension traveler named Aahz in Another Fine Myth, while in Myth Conceptions, as Court Magician to Rodrick the Fifth of Possiltum, Skeeve must oppose the universe's mightiest invading army, without the aid of Aahz, who lost his sorcerer's power

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,808

Robert Aspirin???

what a headache that book must be

the dragon doesnt let on he's intelligent,  has some cute moments.

Chumly the troll and his sister the trollop

fairy godfather is a mafia don

• JonstarkJonstark Posts: 2,738

Robert Asprin was one of the very very authors I found back in my elementary school library that was actually worth reading.  His Myth series was terrifically entertaining and very funny (at least for the kid version of me; I wonder if it would stand up if I were to re-read it again).  I still remember the 'hanging' scene, heh heh.  Good series of books.  It's funny it lists him as the 'author of Thieves World'.  I barely remember Thieves World at all, but I remember the Myth series very well indeed.

Aahz should be kitbashable with the right scaley shader

• Bunyip02Bunyip02 Posts: 7,679
    edited July 2021

Cerberus

Cerberus 1.png
    1600 x 1200 - 2M
    Post edited by Bunyip02 on
    edited July 2021

Drake

Drake Hunting 1.png
    1600 x 1200 - 2M
  • mschackmschack Posts: 337
    edited July 2021

Excalibur

excalibur.png
    1920 x 840 - 1M
    Post edited by mschack on
  • DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,073

WendyLuvsCatz said:

Robert Aspirin???

laugh

WendyLuvsCatz said:

Robert Aspirin???

laugh

And once again, by the time I discover a challenge, Bunyip has posted two excellent renders.  Well done, again, sir. 

@mschack, great job on the atmosphere and the misty haze.  Great image.

• mschackmschack Posts: 337
    edited July 2021

Diomede said:

And once again, by the time I discover a challenge, Bunyip has posted two excellent renders.  Well done, again, sir. 

Thanks Diomede! 

I know behind the scenes can sometimes ruin the magic but this just makes me laugh.,,

bts.PNG
    1858 x 1080 - 2M
    Post edited by mschack on

It's always fun to see behind the scenes.  In the actual render, it looks like that lake is miles away, whereas in the behind the scenes it looks like the lake is merely steps away.  Very cool  :)

its a good light contrast.  i can see the silhouette of the sword

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,808

I watched this inspirational video

not sure I have a cyclops

I know how it ends (no spoilers it is only part one so far but Homer wrote it yonks ago)

some of those old vases have some interesting homoerotica on em.

and the maidens with pitchers of water dumped over their hair.

Mystiara said:

Aahz should be kitbashable with the right scaley shader

That was the name of the 'demon' companion, it's been so long!  But it's funny I can picture him easily, even though I couldn't recall his name.  Green scales, sharp teeth, lol.  I loved his pragmatism, he was the perfect companion for the main character (whose name I also can't seem to recall...)

i've always had a soft spot in my heart for Gord the Rogue.  heart

weather.com/storms/winter/news/2021-01-30-winter-storm-orlena-forecast-northeast-midwest

one of my first art companion books was dragonlance.  had the Crow, Vampire Lestat,
    still have my asterix, got them in Geneva, so they in french.  is easier to read french translated from english, sentences make more sense lol

composition tips

• Rule of Odds. In still life photography, having an odd number of elements in a frame is more visually interesting than having an even number of elements.
    • Negative Space. Positive space is the area your subjects take up. Negative space is the empty area where the eye can rest.
    • Color. You may not think of color as a compositional tool. ...

Fundamental Composition Techniques

A portrait needs to convey the character and mood of the person and composing a portrait can be a bit tougher than you might think. There are several things like lighting, right subject, best camera settings and locations you need to get right to create successful and compelling portraits.

. Place The Eyes In The Upper Third:

You may all have heard about the basic rule that most photographers start with – the rule of thirds. In order to create a visual impact in your portraits, when shooting in portrait orientation, it is best to have the eyes of the subject on the upper third of the frame.

Fill the Frame:

When making a portrait, you are capturing the character and features of the person. So do not hesitate to get close and fill the frame with your subject’s face. Do not limit yourself to just the headshots, but try filling the frame when you do head and shoulders shots, medium shots or three-quarter shots. 

Filling the frame with the subject’s face also helps emphasize textures and other details like lines, wrinkles, etc. in the portrait. You can also look into the subject through a closer view of their eyes in the photograph.

Frame Your Subject With Frames Within The Frame:

When making portraits, you do not have to eliminate or blur the background, instead use the elements like doors, windows, lines, etc. to frame the subject to keep the viewer's attention on your subject.

You can also use elements like windows, doors, arches or any other natural or man-made structures in the foreground to frame your subject to create visually interesting images.

Use Lines To Lead The Viewer To Your Subject:

Lines are another interesting feature when it comes to composition for any genre of photography. They can be so powerful and be used to lead the viewer into the frame to your subject. Use lines and frame your subject in such a way that the lines lead the viewer’s eyes to the subject or their eyes.

Leave Space In Front Of The Subject:

This is a very important technique that needs to be taken care of. If you are making a portrait where the subject is looking in one direction or their body is facing a particular direction, then, leave space in the direction your subject is looking into (in front of them)  or their body is facing, just like how you would leave space in the direction of movement of your subject. Do not frame in a way that the subject is positioned, facing a direction where they exit the frame immediately.

Not posting a link to the tips site, it was full of pop ups. yuck

edited July 2021

Here is some fun with V4 and M4.  I used an old landscape I did as the backdrop and then tried to use some plants and hair/grass to integrate the figures in the scene.

TOS Alert.  I couldn't post any of the references I found for Satyr and maidens.  surprise

Here is something permissible.

Satyr Myth V4 M4 Entry.jpg
    1600 x 1920 - 448K
    Post edited by Diomede on

satyrs heart

edited July 2021

book covers that inspire render challenges, lol

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/uploads/FileUpload/7c/5273bb32d46878d395b705a69e9db1.jpg

read these like 40 years ago.  only remember that the endings sucked.  lol
    taught me the lesson of how important the character arc is, without there is no payoff to the emotional investment.  it was like i wasted a few hours of my life reading it.  was no wiser for it.  

but i was stuck once i start a trilogy, has to finish it.  except foundation trilogy.  dont think i ever finished it.  dragonlance had 2 trilogies.  lost track of the dune novels. and dune movies.

Post edited by Mistara on

mschack said:

Excalibur

Wonderful !!!

Thanks for the giggle with the WIP !

Diomede said:

Thanks !!!

Diomede said:

Here is some fun with V4 and M4.  I used an old landscape I did as the backdrop and then tried to use some plants and hair/grass to integrate the figures in the scene.

TOS Alert.  I couldn't post any of the references I found for Satyr and maidens.  surprise

Here is something permissible.

Superb !!!

edited July 2021

Jabberwocky

Jabberwocky 1.png
    1600 x 1200 - 4M
    edited July 2021

Lindwyrm

Lindwyrm 1.png
    1600 x 1200 - 2M
    edited July 2021

Them ! Atomic bomb testing leads to monstrous mutations https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0047573/

Ants Them 1.png
    1600 x 1200 - 2M
    edited July 2021

Pegasus and noble Bellerophon slay the Chimera

Chimera 1.png
    1600 x 1200 - 3M
    edited July 2021

Bigfoot