Garibaldi Express: Hair and Fur Plugin [Commercial]

Comments

• SpyroRueSpyroRue Posts: 5,020
    edited September 2014

Gone said:
    If you are going to keep making stuff this impressive, your absence is forgiven. :-)%-P

I'm glad we cleared that up :lol:

Being genesis 1, the ears weren't separate material zone, so I created one node for the head with face, another for the neck, largely for outfit changes, where the neck fur isn't needed. The Lashes and the whiskers were a separate node respectively, Else the clumping and parting would just destroy them.

Post edited by SpyroRue on
  • KeryaKerya Posts: 10,943
    edited December 1969

Woah! Looks great.
    I hope you did not totally loose your sanity!
    LOL

edited December 1969

Haha Not quite, but close. I did close daz so many times, but I kept coming back. Thanks Kerya :D

• GoneGone Posts: 833
    edited December 1969

Well, that makes me feel better. :-)

I don't have any cat world characters so I cobbled this together with a combination of Gorilla and CC Panther with additional tweaks. With all the hair I've done, I've never gotten around to using the paint panel to make textures - I've always imported them.

Anyway, I'm going to have a go at furring this guy with one head node and doing all the hair textures in Garibaldi.

Who knows - I might even have something to show for it someday! :lol:

AnimalDude.jpg
    914 x 914 - 98K
    edited December 1969

Well you'd have that over me! haha. I have used garibaldi to paint, But i use what I paint as a reference. For instance, I painted the war paint in Garibaldi, Exported it, refined it in photo shop, and layered it over the diffuse texture (Making my 2nd Diffuse texture set for the character Khajiit), then imported it back in Garibaldi. I went through that process purely to keep it as undistorted as I could on such an extreme shape. Such creatures would really value their own UV in my opinion. (And yeah, people would complain "Yet another UV" But honestly, If they understood why models have alternate UVs, they'd be thankful for those which are available) Any way, I don't have a 3d app which lets me paint directly on the model, I don't have ZBrush or 3D Coat or Blacksmith3D, so I've occasionally used Garibaldi to create reference, seams have long been my enemy so I avoid them If I can. The textures I worked on mostly in photoshop.

With distribution textures, all the same, I will paint them in Garibaldi, (Means not distorted and my seams are lined up) I keep it smooth and gradient as best I can, then export and refine in photoshop, reimporting in Garibaldi. Thats my work flow. I heavily rely on the opacity option with the brush in GH Paint room, its difficult to smooth out the cell shaded blocks in garibaldi alone.

Best of luck though Gone! I look forward to seeing where you go with this. You've always excelled with fur on animals haha

edited December 1969

Awww man - why did you have to say Photoshop? :(

Anyway, here's a first pass without whiskers. I was going for a coarser looking fur but I'm still refining it - not real satisfied with the look at this point. Still haven't made up my mind about whether I want to keep the mohawk - it looks like a third ear. :lol:

I went a bit nuts on the texture map - but I kinda like the look so I'll probably keep that - unless I don't. :lol:

At least this hair is 100% Garibaldi - none of that namby pamby Photoshop junk! :lol::lol:

CatmanA.jpg
    1000 x 1000 - 177K
    edited December 1969

Well, I guess I'm going to call him done.

There are 2 hair nodes - one for the head and one for the body. The body only uses the torso and arm MAT zones so, basically, if it isn't in frame it doesn't have fur. :-) I had a third node for whiskers but I just think he looks better without them.

All the hair textures were painted in Garibaldi and have no relationship with the underlying character texture.

Total hair count weighs in at just over 1.1M.

Furring heads is still a big challenge for me and it annoys me that I just can't seem to get any better at it.

CatmanE1.jpg
    1000 x 1000 - 185K
  • ChronopunkChronopunk Posts: 291
    edited December 1969

You amaze me. I can't even get hair to lay flat-ish on the head and not work its way down into the skull.

My kingdom for a "preset" button that would make it do that and I could then just style it from there. :(

edited December 1969

Getting the guides to lay flat is pretty easy.

Use the comb to lay the guides in the general direction you want. Don't worry if they pass through. Once you have the general shape, use the surface attract tool. Any guides above the surface will be pulled down and any below the surface will be pulled up. You want to use the comb first to get the shape because if you go straight to surface attract the guides will fall in a jumbled mess.

If you have the 1.1 version, there is some collision detection that makes it a lot harder for the guides to go into the mesh.

• ChronopunkChronopunk Posts: 291
    edited December 1969

Gone said:
    Getting the guides to lay flat is pretty easy.

Use the comb to lay the guides in the general direction you want. Don't worry if they pass through. Once you have the general shape, use the surface attract tool. Any guides above the surface will be pulled down and any below the surface will be pulled up. You want to use the comb first to get the shape because if you go straight to surface attract the guides will fall in a jumbled mess.

If you have the 1.1 version, there is some collision detection that makes it a lot harder for the guides to go into the mesh.

I've tried this before and failed, and ended up thinking I was doing it wrong. I'll try again! Seeing your results makes me want to put more work into it, believe me.

I would still kill for a series of presets, though. *click* long straight hair. *click* short bob. *click* Mohawk. ;)

edited September 2014

If you have signed up at the beta site, there are links to some hair presets. Some of the presets are ones I made a while ago. They include 3 hairs, 3 eyebrows, a mustache, a goatee and 2 torso hairs as well as several shader presets to change the hair colours in the DS surface tab. These are for Genesis - not the G2's.

If nothing else, you can study them to see how they were made.

There is an error in one of the links so one of the hairs is missing - but if you go through the forum, there is a link to the missing hair as well as a link to a .pdf file with installation instructions.

Post edited by Gone on
    edited December 1969

Excellent work once again Gone, you dot that done quite quickly I must say. Mohawk may look much more independent if it had a different colour, but otherwise he looks quite nice without it as I see in the 2nd version too. And in regards to the painting, I'm a digital painter and obsessed with making textures, what can I say, I'm shattered without it in my work flow haha. And it was purely in the interests of making the fur exactly how I wanted it, theres no digital painting modifying the fur in the render. Every hair is 100% Garibaldi :) Anyways, quite an achievement there Gone. - Khajiit asked me to ask your friend, if he'd like to be friends with Khajiit, he's generally not much for attachments, but is always looking for worthy companions for shared adventures :lol:

edited December 1969

Quick is a relative term. Being retired, I can invest a lot of time on task in a short period. :-) There's over 20 hours of time invested in this fur.

I understand what you were doing with the textures - creating in Photoshop and importing. I didn't mean to suggest there was any post work in the hair - I was just having a bit of fun.

Your work is always top drawer.

Well, he is flattered but, if he were to go adventuring, he would need to finish being furred and/or find some clothes to wear. :lol:

Unlike certain unnamed individuals, I can't just sit down with a modelling app and whip up a set of clothes. :-) Of course, your wickedness has now got me looking at my wardrobe more closely to see if I can kitbash an interesting outfit for him.

edited September 2014

Hey Gone, a while back you were playing with wet hair in Garibaldi, I am wondering if you did much fiddling in its shader? I'm able to get the hair styled to look damp, as if in the rain, but I cannot for the life of me work out the right material settings to actually get it looking wet in surfaces. I increase the specular and things go grey, the specular is far too spread out and it really needs high glossiness. I've been rereading the wiki on Garibaldi shader, but its still incomplete and I know so little of it lol I generally get a good understanding of the shaders I use, but Garibaldi has me really stumped.

edited December 1969

If the Garibaldi documentation isn't enough, you can always look for documentation on the Marshner shader as that is the shader Garibaldi uses.

Alternatively, you can apply any shader to the hair so, if you have a shader you are more comfortable with and gives the results you want, you can just switch shaders.

When I was playing with wet hair, I was looking to achieve the plastered to the head look and didn't spend much time on the shader but I can always look into that later today and see what I can come up with. :-)

Basically, there are 2 specular channels, Primary (R) and Secondary (TRT). R is for the highlights and gives a tight specular gloss. TRT is for overall shine and gives a more diffuse gloss.

For wet hair, I would start by lowering the TRT and focus on the R. I would also play with the width and shift values for R (and possibly TRT as well) by lowering the width to get a tighter gloss and playing with the shift to move the gloss closer/farther from the tip of the hair.

That's how I will be proceeding later today - let's see who gets there first. :lol:

edited December 1969

Oh wow, I didnt know could apply other shaders, I forever change shaders on physical objects surfaces, just assumed couldn't/shouldn't be done on the renderman curves hair. Though I love the AoA Advanced lights tag for garibaldi shader lol

I messed around with the surfaces of the hair for many hours since posting here, I ended up with a black-out artifact, no idea how, but its like a white-out on SSS shader (that happens too often sometimes), but it was the hair rendering black. I had to replace the surface settings to what I originally had in an earlier saved scene to get rid of it.

My test renders for the particular scene were pushing 20-40mins for the character with garibaldi (With all lights optimized) I believe it was cos I have soooo many lights in scene, like 20 lights, its crazy... Or Im just crazy more like :lol:

Thanks for the info man, i have many scenes planned for rainy conditions. I think I was going wrong way around, trying to get the TRT shiny with R as complimentary. Silly me

edited December 1969

I expect that all those lights are part of the reason your work always looks so good. I tend to be a minimalist with lighting - 1 ambient and a couple of spots. :-)

In the shader, there are no limits set on any of the sliders but the intensity and blend sliders have practical limits of 0 - 1. Going outside those limits will yield unexpected results. While playing with this, I accidentally set the TRT blend to 6 instead of 0.6, in one of the tests, and got the black hole hair. :lol:

Anyway, I'm going a bit cross eyed here so I need an opinion - is this getting even close to looking right?

WetLook.jpg
    1200 x 1200 - 387K
    edited December 1969

Oooh yes, that looks like it hits the mark, well done man :) What ever I was doing wrong, was causing the hair to look dry (oddly enough) and grey. I seem very talented at making hairstyles grey! lol I do think you have such a knack with GH, definitely the yoda of Garibaldi, Think will set up a more optimized scene and see if I can improve things. Thanks Gone :)

And Ah, the "blackhole" hair isnt some strange unique bug, for a while I thought I must have had daz studio open too long and pushing my graphics card to oblivion. At least I know the cause now lol Should have saved so I could go back and see what setting I screwed it up with.

edited September 2014

Well, if that works for you, here's the pertinent settings.

The base hair is a dark brown so the TRT setting is nearly black. If your character has lighter coloured hair, you will need to change the TRT colour to a darker version of the hair colour.

Keep in mind that the blend colour has little impact on texture driven hair colour.

WetLookSetting.jpg
    258 x 662 - 57K
    Post edited by Gone on
  • evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,040
    edited September 2014

Edited to delete because my response was to a year+ old post.

Post edited by evilproducer on
    edited December 1969

Who da boss?

CatmanMeetsLion.jpg
    1000 x 562 - 235K
  • Cris PalominoCris Palomino Posts: 11,142
    edited December 1969

Gone said:
    Who da boss?

Great pic!

edited December 1969

Great work Gone! he looks awesome in all his gear, very epic in his stand off, id say thats 'an animal thing' :D The grass came out nicely is that AoA grass shader or Garibaldi?

edited December 1969

Thanks guys.

The grass is AoA shader. Between the 2 characters there is over 2.5M hairs generated and that's pushing my poor old jalopy right to the edge.

If you're not expecting it, it can be a bit unnerving waiting 3 minutes just for the calculations to finish before it even starts to render.:lol:

edited December 1969

Looks great!

edited December 1969

Oops.

What really happened.

HairClimb.jpg
    666 x 1000 - 211K
    edited December 1969

Vertigo!!!!!!!!! Aaargh!

edited December 1969

ROFLMAO! I love it man, shows it how it is, come on, we was all thinking it with that fairytale HAHA

edited December 1969

SpyroRue said:
    ROFLMAO! I love it man, shows it how it is, come on, we was all thinking it with that fairytale HAHA

I didn't think it!
    I believed it.
    I believe that women can be strong too!
    Yes!

;)

edited October 2014

Kerya said:
    SpyroRue said:

I didn't think it!
    I believed it.
    I believe that women can be strong too!
    Yes!

;)

Well I think shed have to be strong, the weight of the hair alone would be quite high I imagine, rain for her really would be a curse :lol: