Does anyone use Carrara for Modeling?

1235»

Comments

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,040
    edited September 2014

I have not! Those look very cool. I haven't watched that movie in ages!

Post edited by evilproducer on
  • KixumKixum Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Hey evilproducer,
    That's a nice war of the worlds model! I love the colors! Keep it up!

edited December 1969

Kixum said:
    Hey evilproducer,
    That's a nice war of the worlds model! I love the colors! Keep it up!

Thanks! I'll post some screen captures of the mesh in a bit. I'm still debating how I want to do the head assembly on the top of the appendage.

edited December 1969

Here's a couple screenshots of the mesh. I'm trying to keep it as clean as I know how.

Picture_5.png
    396 x 289 - 17K
    Picture_4.png
    916 x 698 - 154K
    edited December 1969

This is what i have so far, without the head on the neck.

War_machine_with_neck.png
    1200 x 900 - 272K
    edited December 1969

You're doing well! I have complete confidence you will come up with a great result!

edited December 1969

Been working on the head of the heat ray. Here's a closeup- warts and all.

The longer shot is before I did some more work on the head piece.

war_machine01.png
    1200 x 900 - 205K
    Rigged_war_machine.png
    1200 x 900 - 229K
    edited December 1969

A little animation test of the war machine with a particle emitter. I'm doing another test with the aura to see if that looks decent .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8fJXNNmN9V0

• Bunyip02Bunyip02 Posts: 7,660
    edited December 1969

A little animation test of the war machine with a particle emitter. I'm doing another test with the aura to see if that looks decent .

Looking good !!!!!

The more I look at what's being done the more I realize how much there is to learn..........

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,922
    edited December 1969

very smooth, very retro :)

edited October 2014

Thanks guys. Here's a super quick experiment. I just threw in a couple freebies for a set and did some quick lighting.

My ultimate goal is to create a scene with the level of detail and saturated colors of the film. Maybe even animate a sequence for $h!†$ and giggles.

Picture_1.png
    929 x 618 - 645K
    edited December 1969

This thing is rockin and rollin! I love it. I can't wait to see what comes next!

• tbwoqtbwoq Posts: 238
    edited December 1969

Hi evilproducer.

Nice WIP modeling and video. Some of the model I would consider a type of organic modeling and can be tricky to get right. I actually tried modeling it in Bryce 5/6 metaballs before I had Carrara. Carrara would have been alot easier.

The 1953 version of the martian machine was one of my favorite sci fi vehicles growing up. Other versions in other movies(etc.) just look awkward in a battle. Here is a Bryce 7 Pro render(WIP). I'll have to see if it will import into Carraras VM modeler just for fun.

ww05.jpg
    520 x 390 - 34K
    edited December 1969

tbwoq said:
    Hi evilproducer.

Nice WIP modeling and video. Some of the model I would consider a type of organic modeling and can be tricky to get right. I actually tried modeling it in Bryce 5/6 metaballs before I had Carrara. Carrara would have been alot easier.

The 1953 version of the martian machine was one of my favorite sci fi vehicles growing up. Other versions in other movies(etc.) just look awkward in a battle. Here is a Bryce 7 Pro render(WIP). I'll have to see if it will import into Carraras VM modeler just for fun.

That looks great! It also looks a lot more true to the original than mine. I just don't have the skills in the VM to get it quite "there" so I'll settle for "nearly there" and be content. The hardest part for me has been getting the head to look right.

That would be great if you could get it into Carrara.

• tbwoqtbwoq Posts: 238
    edited October 2014

Thanks EP. I tried to reference the original as much as possible but ended up just moving parts(metaballs) until they matched a general outline.

If I recall correctly, I dropped the martian machine Bryce WIP a while ago I think due to software conflicts or maybe when you alter one metaball you get a domino effect in the rest of the model. Bryce still has much better metaball modeling than Carrara imo.

As far as I can tell/tried, the model can not be converted for export(.obj into Carrara). To many grouped metaballs. Unless one of the Bryce experts knows how. I would like to have seen the conversion of this model with full indirect lighting.

For modeling this in Carrara I agree, using the Spline modeler is the way to go. I was able to rough out the models body in around 15 minutes using cross sections. Much easier and faster than I originally thought. Then convert to the VM later if you need to.

Post edited by tbwoq on
  • kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,561
    edited December 1969

...question.

Using with primitives as a base to build a model from.

However, when I switch to the Modelling window from the Assembly one, I see nothing but a blank screen with a field in the upper left corner that shows the size of the item that was selected. What am I doing wrong?

• VarselVarsel Posts: 574
    edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:
    ...question.

Using with primitives as a base to build a model from.

However, when I switch to the Modelling window from the Assembly one, I see nothing but a blank screen with a field in the upper left corner that shows the size of the item that was selected. What am I doing wrong?

What you need to do is to first insert a Vertex object. And then in the vertex modeller insert a cube to start modelling with.
    The primitives are just that, primitives. You can scale them, stretch them .. but nothing more.

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,073
    edited October 2014

Hi. There are different types of models in carrara. If you have familiarity with a program like hexagon, the terminology might be a little different. in carrara, the comparable type to hexagon is called a vertex object. So, from the top menu, choose insert : vertex object. You will then be sent to the modeling room. Next, from the top menu of the modeling room, try construct: 3d : cube. A vertex cube will appear in the modeling room, and you will be given the opportunity to choose how many polygons make up each face.

Note, most people seem to be familiar with vertex modeling. Carrara also has a spline model, which is based on extruding a shape along a path. Carrara also has a formula modeler, which is based on specifying a set of equations. Carrara also has a metaball modeler which some other programs call blob modeling. You can make most shapes using any modeler, but most people use vertex models.

The primitives are not vertex models, but you can use Edit : convert to other modeler. To make a primitive a vertex model. You won't like the result. Rather than inserting a primitive sphere and converting to a vertex model, try inserting a vertex model and using. Construct : 3d : sphere.

Sorry to be long winded. If you are not aware, check out some of the free carrara modeling tutorials on YouTube by cripeman.

Edit : Varsel said it faster and better while I was typing.

Post edited by Diomede on
    edited October 2014

...what if the object what I want to create is cylindrical in shape? This is why I used the cylinder primitive a cube doesn't make much sense. In Blender you can start with any primitive shape in the drop down and use it as a base for vertex or polygon modelling.

The only reasons I don't work in Blender or Hexagon are the cumbersome UI of the former, while the latter is too unstable, often freezing up or crashing without notice.

Post edited by kyoto kid on
    edited October 2014

Kyoto Kid said:
    ...what if the object what I want to create is cylindrical in shape? This is why I used the cylinder primitive a cube doesn't make much sense. In Blender you can start with any primitive shape in the drop down and use it as a base for vertex or polygon modelling.

The only reasons I don't work in Blender or Hexagon are the cumbersome UI of the former, while the latter is too unstable, often freezing up or crashing without notice.

There may be a bit of confusion here. You have primitive shapes in the VM and when you put them in the vertex modeler, they're formed with quad polygons. If you use a primitive shape in the Assembly room, the only way to edit it is to convert it to a vertex model, which will be all triangle polygons.

When you do load a primitive shape from within the VM, your mouse cursor will change to a plus sign with a slash above a minus sign ( +/-) What this means is that you can increase or decrease the resolution of the primitive shape by pressing the plus or minus button on your keyboard. To lock it in, press Return. You can't do this with a primitive shape from the Assembly room that has been converted to a vertex object.

My (hopefully) first screen shot shows the vertex modeler with the primitive shape pulldown menu selected. The others show the cylinder primitive at its base resolution, the next after I've increased it by pressing plus and then return, and finally the result if you use a primitive from the Assembly room and convert it to a vertex object.

Edited to clarify my meaning. Edits are delineated by bold type. Sorry for any confusion.

Picture_6.png
    846 x 699 - 91K
    Picture_5.png
    1095 x 588 - 144K
    Picture_3.png
    780 x 734 - 98K
    Picture_2.png
    1005 x 806 - 131K
    edited December 1969

...thanks, that helps quite a bit.

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,073
    edited December 1969

Don't want to leave the impression that you have to start with a "primitive" from the construct menu. You can draw your own shapes with polylines. In this example, I drew a star and lofted it in a straight line. You can be much more complicated if that is your plan.

aa_3_modeling_star.JPG
    738 x 760 - 44K
    aa_2_line.JPG
    567 x 625 - 30K
    aa_1_star.JPG
    850 x 545 - 31K