This week's Freebie ROCKS!!

JasmineSkunkJasmineSkunk Posts: 1,862
edited August 2012 in The Commons

Thank you DAZ3D and ARTCollaborations!! I really think this is this week's FREEBIE is AWESOMELY COOL!!! :coolgrin: :)

http://www.daz3d.com/shop/enchanted-island/

Post edited by JasmineSkunk on

Comments

• hblyonhblyon Posts: 3
    edited December 1969

Thank you Jasmine for the link, that is really cool.

• joegerardijoegerardi Posts: 226
    edited August 2012

Yes. And stones, and grass, and...

:-)

..Joe

Post edited by joegerardi on
  • Miss BMiss B Posts: 3,071
    edited August 2012

I posted in another thread, but thought I might do it here too. Here's a link to 3 renders I did while I was beta testing this set -->
    http://3dpixelzone.com/ART/enchanted.htm

Post edited by Miss B on
  • SlimerJSpudSlimerJSpud Posts: 1,453
    edited December 1969

Looks like a fun set! :-) After I download it, I would like to try stretching one of the statues in the set in the Y direction to see if it will more closely resemble an actual Moai. FYI, a recent study of how the Moai were transported lends credence to the oral tradition that says, "The statues walked." :gulp: 3 teams of men with ropes could indeed have rocked the statues side to side and moved them forward in a walking motion. Previous explanations for how the statues were transported seem to have been completely off base.

• JasmineSkunkJasmineSkunk Posts: 1,862
    edited December 1969

Miss B said:
    I posted in another thread, but thought I might do it here too. Here's a link to 3 renders I did while I was beta testing this set -->

Those are awesome MissB! :)

• kiwi_ggkiwi_gg Posts: 198
    edited December 1969

File size is 151MB (pc) for those that wish to know.

Cheers
    GG

• ElowanElowan Posts: 388
    edited December 1969

The one on the right reminds me of my middle school homeroom teacher.

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,017
    edited August 2012

Am I the only one have trouble with the Enchanted Island product in DAZ Studio? When I opened DAZ Studio 4.0 after installing it, I thought "Oh Good, metadata!". But the metadata seems to be way wrong. The things don't show up in the Smart Content in the categories shown in the Readme. (At least we got a readme file, though.) I am also having trouble with statue shadows showing up on the sky background. My render also shows dark vertical lines in the curves of the sky corners when using the supplied camera preset. Am I doing something wrong?

I also don't understand why the Content Library shows two icons for +AFullStatue.pp2. If I browse to file location, one is in My Library\Runtime\libraries\props\ART_EnchantedIsland\Instances and the other is in My Library\Runtime\libraries\props\ART_EnchantedIsland\Parented. What is the difference and how do I know which to use?

And what is that Gum prop for?? That one is a real mystery to me. I don't see it in the promo images.

Thanks for any enlightenment you can offer so I can get better usage from this neat freebie.

(Edited to add render showing the dark vertical lines in the day sky .)

Enchanted_Island_day_sky.png
    800 x 628 - 810K
    Post edited by barbult on
  • jakibluejakiblue Posts: 7,281
    edited December 1969

barbult said:

I also don't understand why the Content Library shows two icons for +AFullStatue.pp2. If I browse to file location, one is in My Library\Runtime\libraries\props\ART_EnchantedIsland\Instances and the other is in My Library\Runtime\libraries\props\ART_EnchantedIsland\Parented. What is the difference and how do I know which to use?

And what is that Gum prop for?? That one is a real mystery to me. I don't see it in the promo images.

the gum prop would be just for fun. :D To have one of the statues blowing bubblegum - I'd say Ann or Frank were in a giggly mood when they added that. :D

As for the instances and parented - excuse me not using the actual technical terms for this (because my tech terms sucks),but one would be say, loading the statues in the place they would be "parented" to the ground etc and in the places to make the full scene, the other would have them just loading as normal in the middle of the scene for you to place wherever you wanted (like, if you just wanted to use one of teh statues for a completely different scene you are creating and it loads in themiddle of the viewport, not off to the left where it would if you were using the intended scene).

Gosh, that doens't make much sense to ME. Did you understand what I meant? (really need to brush up on the "tecnical" explanations)

edited December 1969

Miss B said:

Those are awesome MissB! :)
    Thank ya ma'am. ;-)

edited December 1969

jakiblue said:
    barbult said:

the gum prop would be just for fun. :D To have one of the statues blowing bubblegum - I'd say Ann or Frank were in a giggly mood when they added that. :D

As for the instances and parented - excuse me not using the actual technical terms for this (because my tech terms sucks),but one would be say, loading the statues in the place they would be "parented" to the ground etc and in the places to make the full scene, the other would have them just loading as normal in the middle of the scene for you to place wherever you wanted (like, if you just wanted to use one of teh statues for a completely different scene you are creating and it loads in themiddle of the viewport, not off to the left where it would if you were using the intended scene).

Gosh, that doens't make much sense to ME. Did you understand what I meant? (really need to brush up on the "tecnical" explanations)

Yes, that makes sense. And now that I look closer, the names of the files are not exactly the same. One is +AFullStatue and the other is +AStatueFull. However, when I double click on them, the both put the statue in exactly the same place. So, I guess I'm still puzzled.

• jakibluejakiblue Posts: 7,281
    edited December 1969

barbult said:

Yes, that makes sense. And now that I look closer, the names of the files are not exactly the same. One is +AFullStatue and the other is +AStatueFull. However, when I double click on them, the both put the statue in exactly the same place. So, I guess I'm still puzzled.

i had a look at the readme and the smart content paths seem to be the same as what I have when i look in my smart content. Maybe it got corrected after you read it?

Ok you got me there,maybe Ann has a better explanation than me, which is definitely likely LOL. I'll see if she can pop in here and explain it better. :D

edited August 2012

jakiblue said:
    barbult said:

i had a look at the readme and the smart content paths seem to be the same as what I have when i look in my smart content. Maybe it got corrected after you read it?

Ok you got me there,maybe Ann has a better explanation than me, which is definitely likely LOL. I'll see if she can pop in here and explain it better. :D
    OMG
    Edit - clicked submit way to soon!
    They DID change it! The first readme that I exported to PDF had a header date of 2012/08/08 1:06. I just exported again and it has a header date of 2012/08/08 4:00. And the contents are different.

Post edited by barbult on
  • MorpheonMorpheon Posts: 738
    edited December 1969

Yes, thank you very much. It's definitely something that's been missing from my collection.

• TorbyTorby Posts: 250
    edited December 1969

So, how do you use the gum? I've been clicking around aimlessly. Select a statue then load the gum? (That's my guess, but it didn't.)

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,501
    edited December 1969

jakiblue said:
    barbult said:

...love it. Bubblegum of the Gods.

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,751
    edited December 1969

Working ok in Carrara 8.. Thanks for the rocks..

Eebahgoom :coolsmirk:

Statues_rock.jpg
    800 x 600 - 308K
  • PennamePenname Posts: 343
    edited August 2012

I agree; awesome freebie although I pulled it apart to add the toon crab guy. (edited to change image)

crabby_and_the_heads.jpg
    800 x 600 - 213K
    Post edited by Penname on
  • SassyWenchSassyWench Posts: 602
    edited December 1969

X post from the Shrieker thread, but this set is just awesome! Shrieker doesn't even mind that it isn't sand! LOL

LostShrieker1024.jpg
    1024 x 768 - 465K
  • NeilV_1NeilV_1 Posts: 442
    edited December 1969

Here is one I did

Enchanted_Isle.jpg
    1000 x 1000 - 794K
  • DAZ_ann0314DAZ_ann0314 Posts: 2,783
    edited August 2012

barbult said:
    Am I the only one have trouble with the Enchanted Island product in DAZ Studio? When I opened DAZ Studio 4.0 after installing it, I thought "Oh Good, metadata!". But the metadata seems to be way wrong. The things don't show up in the Smart Content in the categories shown in the Readme. (At least we got a readme file, though.) I am also having trouble with statue shadows showing up on the sky background. My render also shows dark vertical lines in the curves of the sky corners when using the supplied camera preset. Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks for any enlightenment you can offer so I can get better usage from this neat freebie.

(Edited to add render showing the dark vertical lines in the day sky .)

On the questions:

The smart content it seems you resolved without me so no need to answer that one but in case, it looks like they moved stuff and the paths may have been wrong in the original readme.

On the difference in the two +AFullStatue files, the ones in the Instance folder just load and move around all their own though, in Poser, the ones in the parented folder will parent themselves to the ground so that if you move or rotate the ground your entire scene will all move and rotate with the ground. In DS this is done a little different though and so I don't think those files parent in DS though they may. In case not, to parent the items to the ground in DS you just load all the props into the scene and then shift click them all and then drag and drop them to the ground props name in the list of your scene editor (hopefully I got that pallet name right...I primarily use Poser so my DS lingo can be a bit rusty LOL so if I said the wrong name please someone correct me) I do have a video of the general process though on YouTube here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_n-3JcTZ6mc

It's done with a staff and Genesis in the video but the principle is the same.

On the gum, it was kinda a fun jokey reference to the movie A Night at the Museum. In it there is an Easter Island statue that keeps asking for Gum and so as a joke (and kinda on a dare) I through it in just for fun as a kinda homage to that movie :)

As for the shadow on the sky plane, sadly I wasn't able to tell Poser not to cast shadows on that plane and if you can do so in DS I wasn't sure how...my solution had been to pull the statues a bit forward away from the sky or to just not use the sky plane at all and add in a backdrop for the sky instead if moving the items forward didn't work for my composition. On the lines, the light uses Uber Environment I believe it is called and so sometimes you can get lines etc like that when the quality is set lower. Not knowing how robust everyone's graphic cards may be, we left the quality setting lower I believe so people could adjust it to the setting most optimal for their system. You can change the quality setting though on the light and that should remove those lines. If not, please let me know and I will have one of my testing team that is far more familiar with DS take a peek at it to see if they can sort out what the issue might be :)

So sorry for any confusion. If you have any other questions or still run into any trouble using the set, please let me know :)

Post edited by DAZ_ann0314 on
  • DAZ_ann0314DAZ_ann0314 Posts: 2,783
    edited December 1969

Also, since I'm here...here is an image I made playing around with the set while I was making it :)

NightFall2.jpg
    2000 x 1263 - 911K
  • Gloomy007Gloomy007 Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Oh I agree.. Ann and frank sneaked on us again with an amizing set :D
    Lovely renders everuone..Ann I love yours :) it's still convinving me more and more that I need the sisterhood set ... (one day I will afford it LOL)

• Dave SavageDave Savage Posts: 2,433
    edited December 1969

I agree, this freebie is a wonderful set... Thank you very much. :-)

Very quick test render (Poser 8).

Statue-Freebie.jpg
    740 x 679 - 257K
  • aldemps_65d152c25faldemps_65d152c25f Posts: 157
    edited December 1969

Just messing about.
    Added a staue to the Echoes of Andromeda set.

12-08-08_deepones.jpg
    796 x 1050 - 187K
    edited December 1969

great renders. TheSavage64 grat job on the water :D

• bakpbakp Posts: 12
    edited December 1969

Wonderful renders, here.
    Thanks for the heads up on the link, too.

edited December 1969

Ok, couldn't resist.. really Ann.. this set is pretty much as close to "make Art button" as they get.. few clicks and you good to go. The render is with the lights from this set (night)

exotic_fea.jpg
    904 x 1204 - 252K
  • ZelrothZelroth Posts: 910
    edited December 1969

I saw this product last week (?) on the web page that has a list of product readme's and was like "WOW! I want it NOW!" I am so very glad that it came out this week and ecstatic that it was the weekly freebie. Just another of ARTCollaborations products to love.

Thank you very much!

edited December 1969

I'm loving these renders with the water in them. I never thought of adding a water plane to make it really look like an island. Nice going everyone. :-)