The Newest Evolution Is Here: The Daz Season Pass!

Comments

• benniewoodell said:

... I agree with the comment above as well about it feels like Daz knew ahead of time they were not going to sell many of these everyday people and so they put them in here to make sure they got their sales quotas. 

Ah well, I'll submit my contest render this week and call it a day on the pass, take the three characters off my hard drive and never speak of this again. Looking forward to seeing what you come up with for a contest render! 

With the right bundle, I might buy a figure like Fred, but I don't know... but, I definitely think "2 out of 5" is the right number. (Jacqueline and Jada.)
    For people who prefer the hot guys over hot girls? It's probably closer to a "0 out of 5" Season Pass, maybe "1 out of 5" at best.

The remainder of the SP figures? They missed the mark in terms of appeal where I'd want to buy them on their own merits. Maybe, with the right kind of bundle, I would have bought them... but as individual figures? 3 out of the 5 missed the mark for me.

IMO, that's a horrible ratio.

I don't necessarily mind supporting the 8.1 SP since I'm actually trying to experiment with the PBR skin shader, and more examples of PBR skin are good to have on hand.

That being said, I'd probably not be interested in the next SP if this is what to expect.
    It turned out exactly how the pessimists on the forum expected it to go - we got the kind of base figures that would be less likely to make a sale on their own merits.

Good luck to you with the contest as well.
    I'm not sure if I'll "try" again, or I'll do something dumb and spike it like my Brooke contest entry.

• GordigGordig Posts: 9,121

benniewoodell said:

certaintree38 said:

A little weird to offer all these average-looking people for the first season pass.

Yep. Jaqueline and Jada were the only two in the pass that I would have bought, up until now I've bought pretty much all the base characters. 

I guess I must have been the exact target market for the Season Pass, because Jacqueline is the SP character I've cared the least about. I snatched Jada up immediately, will eventually go back and grab Jazz and Brooke, and we'll see what the Fred bundle has to offer tonight.

• AdenLKAdenLK Posts: 14

benniewoodell said:

x3
    Same.

I was going to say I'd probably buy 2/5 of these SP figures, without specifying them... but Jada and Jacqueline are the obvious ones here.

I don't mind "normal", but... like, plus sized women? There's Bethany 7, and then there are lesser figures, IMO. Bethany manages a larger body shape in a way that seems better than normal? I'd rather want super-normal, you know?

(I'd leave it to the experts if Fred accomplishes "huggy bear" or whatever in a way that Bethany managed to pull of plus size with an amazing body shape... not into dudes myself, so I cannot really judge if he's "fluffy cute" or "ugh, like, no" in appearance.)

IMO, a Season Pass should be about stuff people would go crazy about buying. It should be "4 out of 5" must-buy figures, IMO... like a Torment, White Priestess, Cleopatra. A SP shouldn't be used to sell stuff that people wouldn't be interested in buying. That's not how it works with online games... SPs are a reward for loyalty$$$ up front.

"2 out of 5" isn't a successful SP, IMO, no matter what they think the sales numbers were going in. (Instead, it looks like people who didn't spend on the SP might be ahead of the SP users. That's not how you make a successful online gatcha game.)

Exactly. Yay for having a body type for every type of person, I'm all for it so folks can have options if they want them, but don't lump these characters into something like this where people buy it sight unseen at a big price expecting the top quality of Daz Originals that we have seen released week in and week out over the years. Don't pull the rug out on what you've been releasing now. Put in more of your Torments, Priestess, Sahiras, Jadas and such, that's what I was expecting they'd do to make us want to shell out another hundred and fifty next time this rolls around. I'm working for a client and they needed a new character animated today and they literally said please don't give us any frumpy people, give us someone pretty. I'm buying these characters for my business and I can't use half of the characters in this pass so it was a total waste of money.  I've worked in the film industry the past 20 years, I get what people want for their projects no matter if you agree with the casting of that "ideal bodytype" or not. Heck, when we were casting actors for a film in China that I directed a few years ago, the investor didn't even care to look at demo reels or sit in on the auditions, he literally picked who he wanted based off of their photobooks (they don't give a simple headshot there, we got booklets from actors with all different photographs in elaborate photoshoots like it was their own personal advertisement, what a fascinating experience that film was, I learned so much) and if they couldn't act he said who cares, just dub their voice over with someone who can act. Do I agree with it? No, but it is what it is if you want the gig. 

Again, it's my fault for believing that this was going to end up being a good deal, I take full responsibility on that end, but I still feel completely swindled. I agree with the comment above as well about it feels like Daz knew ahead of time they were not going to sell many of these everyday people and so they put them in here to make sure they got their sales quotas. 

Ah well, I'll submit my contest render this week and call it a day on the pass, take the three characters off my hard drive and never speak of this again. Looking forward to seeing what you come up with for a contest render! 

I completely agree!

I deeply regretted buying the SP. If there was one thing I learned from all this, it was not buying what you don't know what it is.
    The only character that maybe I would buy would be Jacqueline. I felt cheated about this SP.
    I also think that they put in this SP the characters that they thought they would not sell. Since they knew that there are people who would buy without seeing, it would be a chance to sell these disposable characters.

• SevrinSevrin Posts: 6,301

The Blurst of Times said:

Congrats to the winners again (not me crying)...

https://www.daz3d.com/season-pass-2021#contestWinners

(SEE?! The rollerskates were really important!)

I'm trying to view the image by 7thStone, but the link goes to an OOPS page.  Does anyone have a better link, or was the image deleted?

https://www.daz3d.com/gallery/user/4571171387342848#image=1147766

• Here's the link in the Seasonpass category.

https://www.daz3d.com/gallery/category/seasonpass#image=1147794

(Have no idea why the link in the SP page is dead...)

• blazblaz Posts: 261
    edited May 2021
    My guess is it wasn't uploaded to the gallery. Just emailed to DAZ. Edit: Seems I was wrong.
    Post edited by blaz on
  • SevrinSevrin Posts: 6,301

Here's the link in the Seasonpass category.

https://www.daz3d.com/gallery/category/seasonpass#image=1147794

(Have no idea why the link in the SP page is dead...)

Thank you. 

• CHWTCHWT Posts: 1,138
    edited May 2021

benniewoodell said:

... I agree with the comment above as well about it feels like Daz knew ahead of time they were not going to sell many of these everyday people and so they put them in here to make sure they got their sales quotas. 

With the right bundle, I might buy a figure like Fred, but I don't know... but, I definitely think "2 out of 5" is the right number. (Jacqueline and Jada.)
    For people who prefer the hot guys over hot girls? It's probably closer to a "0 out of 5" Season Pass, maybe "1 out of 5" at best.

I suddenly realize even though the figures are average joes or plain janes, toss in some cool/badass clothes which will make them hot/sexy/intriguing and I will buy the bundle in a split second. Not saying that the clothing items in the recent bundles are not good, just that dforce kind of making the clothes less realistic (which is a no-no for me). Conforming clothes with details (seams Seams SEAMS) and movement morphs, combined with clever camera angles and hiding body parts of the underlying figure can produce stunning results as well.
    Post edited by CHWT on
  • CHWT said:

I suddenly realize even though the figures are average joes or plain janes, toss in some cool/badass clothes which will make them hot/sexy/intriguing and I will buy the bundle in a split second. Not saying that the clothing items in the recent bundles are not good, just that dforce kind of making the clothes less realistic (which is a no-no for me). Conforming clothes with details (seams Seams SEAMS) and movement morphs, combined with clever camera angles and hiding body parts of the underlying figure can produce stunning results as well.

Yes, precisely! A good bundle deal used to sell me on figures that I didn't necessarily want...

Maybe it's to do with the long-lived Genesis 8/8.1 line, where fewer things are new... or maybe it's the conservativism in the attire ("cover your shoulders!"), which was already obvious long before now, like comparing Lilith 6 to the Lilith 7 bundles... but it's been harder to identify the bundles where the bundle actively helps to sell the figure.

Conforming clothes would be one good marker, when they switched to dForce everything (tube sleeves and pant legs).

*Mando-sigh*

So, the Fred contest is up now, as the last SP contest for this season.

https://www.daz3d.com/season-pass-2021#contestSeason

Show Jazz 8.1 in his element!
    Fred 8.1 is Your Late Night Host With The Most.”

Email your render in JPG format to
    [email protected]
    with the subject “seasonpass” along with your name and title of your artwork

Contest runs Tuesday, May 25 12:00 AM (MDT) - Monday, May 31 11:59 PM (MDT).

The season pass rules page here: https://www.daz3d.com/official-contest-rules

(It's still stuck on the Jada contest, so there's nothing new there.)

• Kaleb242Kaleb242 Posts: 344

Too bad all of the promotional pages for Fred 8.1 were REMOVED after only 3 days each — maybe this is also why male characters also don't sell as well?

Pulling a promotion after only 3 days? That's really unusual, even for DAZ...
    I still have an orange banner promotion for Fred 8.1 and Fred 8.1 Add-Ons that expires tomorrow, but the page was removed today.

Was really hoping to participate in the final Season Pass contest, but the price of the Fred 8.1 bundles increased to $53.39 and $56.82... even for Season Pass owners.

What an unexpected finish to the Season Pass... aaaargh.
    no

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,718

Kaleb242 said:

Too bad all of the promotional pages for Fred 8.1 were REMOVED after only 3 days each — maybe this is also why male characters also don't sell as well?

Pulling a promotion after only 3 days? That's really unusual, even for DAZ...
    I still have an orange banner promotion for Fred 8.1 and Fred 8.1 Add-Ons that expires tomorrow, but the page was removed today.

Was really hoping to participate in the final Season Pass contest, but the price of the Fred 8.1 bundles increased to $53.39 and $56.82... even for Season Pass owners.

What an unexpected finish to the Season Pass... aaaargh.
    no

I'm pretty sure that the last female character behaved in the same  way, and probably others of the themed releases. I tend to assume that and events have usaully borne that out.

• The Blurst of TimesThe Blurst of Times Posts: 2,410
    edited May 2021

Kaleb242 said:

Was really hoping to participate in the final Season Pass contest...

The pricing thing aside... I have a feeling that there will be a few renders using the same Talk Show set?

IMO, that's not really inspiring to me?

Just kit-bash your own talk show. That's what I'm doing, anyway. A sofa, a chair, a desk, a window onto a mindless background image. That's about all it takes, really.

EDIT: You know my talk show is going to be Babylon-5-themed (LOL), which probably means I won't be in the running by default.

Post edited by The Blurst of Times on
  • Wrapping up my entry, which will surely have issues because of the obv inspirations from other media (and by that, I mean "Among Us")...

Anyway, reminder that the Contest for Fred ends May 31 at 11:59pm MDT.

Time to get your Fred on!

edited June 2021

Congrats to the winners again (not me... but I figure I killed my chances with the Babylon 5 reference).

fredily.png
    1631 x 891 - 1M
  • CHWTCHWT Posts: 1,138

Congrats to the winners again (not me... but I figure I killed my chances with the Babylon 5 reference).

Well, limiting the background as the talk show set really killed the fun. Not the fault of the SP holders though. Looking forward to The Passport Season 2: Cannot Pass or Hard Pass (if there is a Season 2) .
  • xyer0xyer0 Posts: 5,677

PassOver.

• jjmainorjjmainor Posts: 473

EDIT: You know my talk show is going to be Babylon-5-themed (LOL), which probably means I won't be in the running by default.

Clark era, or post-Clark? laugh

• jjmainor said:

Well, my talk show Fred was in the Centauri Republic, not Earth Alliance... Clark era Fred might've fared better in the Fred contest, I think.

• AllenArtAllenArt Posts: 7,140

And so fizzles the first Season Pass ;)

• AllenArt said:

And so fizzles the first Season Pass ;)

Yeah, I don't know if I would do another SP. I'm probably more interested in the PBR skin than many others on this forum, and I have enough of that now with the SP... I know how to manipulate the PBR much better now, at least for my purposes.
    So unless they delivered more and better quality, I would not touch the next SP.

IMO, we were put on a ride with this one, and not a happy fun kind of a ride.

I stand by my "2 out of 5" assessment.
    I think that's a rather poor average, and likely confirms the "conspiracy theory" of those who were against the pass.
    We all know what that theory is.

(The 2 of 5? Jacqueline & Jada. I made use out of Fred as a Centauri, but I'd say that was serendipitous rather than as designed for Fred. If I wasn't given Fred as part of the package, I probably would not have gone in on him & experimented with the Naval Uniform, which then triggered the Centauri idea (which was clearly the wrong idea at the end of the day). Brooke was well done, but not my kind of figure. Jazz had a good face and a remarkably undetailed, smoothboi body.)

The Kiko 8.1 release immediately after the SP? I mean, I said it already as well. That figure could have sold the SP on its own.

Replace Brooke ("the business industry" woman) with Kiko in week 1, and you could have sold more passes right there.
    Instead, we got a "2 out of 5" package.

• jjmainorjjmainor Posts: 473

jjmainor said:

Well, my talk show Fred was in the Centauri Republic, not Earth Alliance... Clark era Fred might've fared better in the Fred contest, I think.

Holy...that's awesome!  He definately looks Centauri!

• TorquinoxTorquinox Posts: 2,515

jjmainor said:

jjmainor said:

Holy...that's awesome!  He definately looks Centauri!

Yes, I agree! Quality job there yes

edited June 2021

Thanks wink

The Naval Uniform, I tried on a whim, then I knew I had to find good hair.
    I used Georgie Hair & Eyebrows underneath, then the Strand-Based Hair tool to create the familiar plume of hair.
    Then I used a unifying set of hair shaders (UHT Hair Shaders for Iray in this case) to make Georgie Hair and the SBH flow together.

(I've done stuff like this before, so I knew it would work. This is the first time I had the exact right fit for Centauri.)

Honestly, the Minbari(-Human hybrid) was more tricky to get right. (Mainly based on Jacqueline 8.1...) It was a little more work getting the angles right on the bone crest (using JoLab's Fallen Angel aureola for that, plus an Iray bone shader over top).

minbari.jpg
    536 x 918 - 129K
  • JamesJABJamesJAB Posts: 1,760

They really should have ended the season pass on the Fred contest entry deadline.  The last two weeks have just seemed like blank time filler to stretch out the "season".  Even just one more freebee, or something.

• TorquinoxTorquinox Posts: 2,515

Thanks wink

The Naval Uniform, I tried on a whim, then I knew I had to find good hair.
    I used Georgie Hair & Eyebrows underneath, then the Strand-Based Hair tool to create the familiar plume of hair.
    Then I used a unifying set of hair shaders (UHT Hair Shaders for Iray in this case) to make Georgie Hair and the SBH flow together.

(I've done stuff like this before, so I knew it would work. This is the first time I had the exact right fit for Centauri.)

Honestly, the Minbari(-Human hybrid) was more tricky to get right. (Mainly based on Jacqueline 8.1...) It was a little more work getting the angles right on the bone crest (using JoLab's Fallen Angel aureola for that, plus an Iray bone shader over top).

Good work on your Minbari, too.

• xyer0xyer0 Posts: 5,677

JamesJAB said:

They really should have ended the season pass on the Fred contest entry deadline.  The last two weeks have just seemed like blank time filler to stretch out the "season".  Even just one more freebee, or something.

It seems like an appropriate end for such a well-thought-out endeavour. 

• AtiAti Posts: 9,079

I wish we had a longer "What did you expect from the Season pass, and how did it fulfill that expectation?" kind of question in the survey. Ranking 8 items, 7 of which I had no interest in at all, doesn't quite reflect my overall opinion.

• benniewoodellbenniewoodell Posts: 1,900

Yeah, that 1-8 was the hardest part of the survey, I just made sure to put the characters as 8 and the webinar at 1. But I did not hold back in the question of if you'd get it again, if you said no they asked why and I gave my very honest opinion. I was not expecting this survey to come, figured all the feedback they'd need was in this thread, but I'm glad I got to give my thoughts again. 

• AtiAti Posts: 9,079

Right. I did say no there just to be able to write some thoughts. In reality, it's not a definite no, rather a maybe. I don't regret joining this first season, but I did have higher hopes.

• Robert FreiseRobert Freise Posts: 4,261

Yeah there should have been a maybe choice