[Released] Gescon, CSG plugin for Daz Studio [commercial]

Comments

• leemoon_c43b45a114leemoon_c43b45a114 Posts: 825
    edited May 2021

I can add that my serial number appeared in my account earlier today.  Tech support is being very helpful.  We haven't solved the problem with Gescon not installing on my Mac just yet, but I'm confident that a solution will be forthcoming. 

Can't wait to start using this tool!  I'm sure it will be awesome.

Lee

Post edited by leemoon_c43b45a114 on
  • AscaniaAscania Posts: 1,838

I just found my already installed Gescon in DIM in the list of uninstalled products (not even marked as update). So I decided install it again, and won't you believe it - there are now eleven cutter props included.

• nomad-ads_8ecd56922enomad-ads_8ecd56922e Posts: 1,867
    edited May 2021

Well, it seems my serial numbers showed up in My Serial Numbers now, too.  I put in a ticket a couple days ago, didn't see any results yesterday on the matter, but I guess this is answer enough. :)  (Haven't checked my email yet today, but I'm guessing there's probably a reply in there now...)

Post edited by nomad-ads_8ecd56922e on
  • AlbertoAlberto Posts: 1,381

andersenpm1682_a0b35d2d07 said:

So I purchased this, but I'm having a difficult time finding how to use it. I also cannot find the user manual that is supposed to be included. Can someone help me, please? Thanks.

See this comment to find the manual: https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/6739201/#Comment_6739201 

magnabob said:

I bought it paid full price and now four hours later I still can't get it registered to make it work. How am I supposed to activate this thing? And yes I know were the plug-ins tab is.

In the manual are instructions (page 1). To see where is the manual read the comment: https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/6739201/#Comment_6739201 

leemoon_c43b45a114 said:

I purchased Gescon earlier this evening and am having difficulty installing it via DIM.

If someone would be so kind as to point out what I'm doing wrong.

One of the 2 installer files appears to have installed fine, the other one, "Gescon: Constructive Solid Geometry for DAZ Studio 4.5+ (Mac 64-bit)" won't install.  The installing progress bar in DIM never moves (stays at 0%).  My latest attempt has been running for about 10 minutes.

I'm on a MacBook Pro (Intel) running macOS Catalina (10.15.7).  DIM is version 1.4.0.67 (64-bit) and DAZ Studio is 4.12.0.86 (which is not running while I use DIM.)

The DIM log file shows no errors, it just ends with the line where it's installing Gescon file.

Thanks so much for any suggestions on how to install Gescon. :)

Lee

So sorry!,  I asked for the logs to nomad-ads_8ecd56922e instead you: https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/6755601/#Comment_6755601

leemoon_c43b45a114 said:

I can add that my serial number appeared in my account earlier today.  Tech support is being very helpful.  We haven't solved the problem with Gescon not installing on my Mac just yet, but I'm confident that a solution will be forthcoming. 

You are in good hands. 

• Alberto said:

leemoon_c43b45a114 said:

I purchased Gescon earlier this evening and am having difficulty installing it via DIM.

One of the 2 installer files appears to have installed fine, the other one, "Gescon: Constructive Solid Geometry for DAZ Studio 4.5+ (Mac 64-bit)" won't install.  The installing progress bar in DIM never moves (stays at 0%).  My latest attempt has been running for about 10 minutes.

I'm on a MacBook Pro (Intel) running macOS Catalina (10.15.7).  DIM is version 1.4.0.67 (64-bit) and DAZ Studio is 4.12.0.86 (which is not running while I use DIM.)

The DIM log file shows no errors, it just ends with the line where it's installing Gescon file.

Lee

So sorry!,  I asked for the logs to nomad-ads_8ecd56922e instead you: https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/6755601/#Comment_6755601

leemoon_c43b45a114 said:

You are in good hands. 

Thank you, Alberto!

I thought you might have been replying to me, but didn't want to distract the discussion if you were replying to nomad.  I'd sent the log file to Tech Support and have provided additional information in my trouble ticket.  They're still working on the problem and I hope to get a solution soon.

I'm very eager to use Gescon!  I'm sure I won't be disappointed.  Thank you so much for creating this script! :)

Lee

• magnabobmagnabob Posts: 14

There were no directions to that effect so I've never found the serial number. Thanks for putting me straight on as I've now got it working, but I've yet to find the PDFs or any user information – but doing this long enough that I can figure it out without that. Again thank you for getting me on the right path.

RGcincy said:

magnabob said:

I bought it paid full price and now four hours later I still can't get it registered to make it work. How am I supposed to activate this thing? And yes I know were the plug-ins tab is.

Did you copy and paste the serial number from your Daz account and click on the check mark? If so, did you close Daz Studio after doing that and reopen? If so and it still doesn't work, you may want to try to uninstall and reinstall.n

• RGcincyRGcincy Posts: 2,805

Glad to help

magnabob said:

There were no directions to that effect so I've never found the serial number. Thanks for putting me straight on as I've now got it working, but I've yet to find the PDFs or any user information – but doing this long enough that I can figure it out without that. Again thank you for getting me on the right path.

RGcincy said:

magnabob said:

Did you copy and paste the serial number from your Daz account and click on the check mark? If so, did you close Daz Studio after doing that and reopen? If so and it still doesn't work, you may want to try to uninstall and reinstall.n

The manual is inside the folder of DAZ Studio installation:
    "\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\docs\Plugins\Gescon". 

The recent plugins (not only the ones I created) have their manuals inside "\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\docs\Plugins\"

The Serial number should be in your library (https://www.daz3d.com/downloader/customer/serialnumbers) . If you don't see there, then file a ticket, please.

leemoon_c43b45a114 said:

Alberto said:

leemoon_c43b45a114 said:

Lee

leemoon_c43b45a114 said:

You are in good hands. 

Thank you, Alberto!

I thought you might have been replying to me, but didn't want to distract the discussion if you were replying to nomad.  I'd sent the log file to Tech Support and have provided additional information in my trouble ticket.  They're still working on the problem and I hope to get a solution soon.

I'm very eager to use Gescon!  I'm sure I won't be disappointed.  Thank you so much for creating this script! :)

Lee

You're welcome! 

• I think Gescon is a wonderful tool.  I'm in a situation where it won't install via DIM on my particular macOS and Mac.  Support had asked for the particulars (log files, configurations, etc.) regarding my system, software, and DAZ version numbers.  I've not heard back since the initial discussions, so I'm assuming that whatever is unique about my system has the support folks stymied.

I've sadly had to ask for a refund.

To reiterate, I believe there's something peculiar about my system setup (though I don't know what it would be) and is likely not a problem for other macOS users, as I believe others running macOS Catalina are using Gescon.

A very sincere thank you to Alvin for creating the plugin and having it available for the Mac.  You are an awesome developer!

Lee

leemoon_c43b45a114 said:

I think Gescon is a wonderful tool.  I'm in a situation where it won't install via DIM on my particular macOS and Mac.  Support had asked for the particulars (log files, configurations, etc.) regarding my system, software, and DAZ version numbers.  I've not heard back since the initial discussions, so I'm assuming that whatever is unique about my system has the support folks stymied.

To reiterate, I believe there's something peculiar about my system setup (though I don't know what it would be) and is likely not a problem for other macOS users, as I believe others running macOS Catalina are using Gescon.

A very sincere thank you to Alvin for creating the plugin and having it available for the Mac.  You are an awesome developer!

Lee

You can still try to install the plugin manually, if you wish.

Inside the folder of DAZ installation, something like "/Applications/DAZ 3D/DAZStudio4 64-bit", you will find two subfolder: "libs" and "plugins"

Extract the contents of the DIM file: "IM00081368-04_GesconConstructiveSolidGeometryforDAZStudio45Mac64bit.zip" You will find two folder:

1. DAZ Studio_4.5;4.x Public Build;4.x Publishing Build
    2. DAZ Studio_4.5;4.x Public Build;4.x Publishing Build_(64-Bit)

Inside the first folder there is the manual. But in the second folder there are the plugin files. You will see two subfolder inside: "libs" and "plugins":

•    Copy the content of the "libs" folder into the "libs" subfolder  of the  "/Applications/DAZ 3D/DAZStudio4 64-bit" folder. 
    •   Then, copy the content of "plugins" of the extracted zip into the "plugins" folder of  "/Applications/DAZ 3D/DAZStudio4 64-bit"

The last step is to register the product with the serial number (the manual has instructions about it).

• leemoon_c43b45a114leemoon_c43b45a114 Posts: 825
    edited June 2021

Alberto said:

leemoon_c43b45a114 said:

I think Gescon is a wonderful tool.  I'm in a situation where it won't install via DIM on my particular macOS and Mac.  Support had asked for the particulars (log files, configurations, etc.) regarding my system, software, and DAZ version numbers.  I've not heard back since the initial discussions, so I'm assuming that whatever is unique about my system has the support folks stymied.

Lee

You can still try to install the plugin manually, if you wish.

Inside the folder of DAZ installation, something like "/Applications/DAZ 3D/DAZStudio4 64-bit", you will find two subfolder: "libs" and "plugins"

Extract the contents of the DIM file: "IM00081368-04_GesconConstructiveSolidGeometryforDAZStudio45Mac64bit.zip" You will find two folder:

1. DAZ Studio_4.5;4.x Public Build;4.x Publishing Build
    2. DAZ Studio_4.5;4.x Public Build;4.x Publishing Build_(64-Bit)

Inside the first folder there is the manual. But in the second folder there are the plugin files. You will see two subfolder inside: "libs" and "plugins":

•    Copy the content of the "libs" folder into the "libs" subfolder  of the  "/Applications/DAZ 3D/DAZStudio4 64-bit" folder. 
    •   Then, copy the content of "plugins" of the extracted zip into the "plugins" folder of  "/Applications/DAZ 3D/DAZStudio4 64-bit"

The last step is to register the product with the serial number (the manual has instructions about it).

Hello, Alvin.

Thank you so very much for your instructions on manually installing the Mac version of Gescon.  I'm not entirely comfortable doing a manual install, but I do truly appreciate you taking the time to suggest this.  It's very much appreciated and will likely help any others having a similar issue on macOS (Catalina.)

Last night, Tech Support asked me to try going through another cycle of delete installer files, redownload the product files, and install again.  I still experienced the hang during installation.  The 2nd file, which I believe are the cutter objects, installs without issue.  The actual plug-in file(s) installer is the one that stays at 0% installing in DIM.  I have to force quit DIM to get out of it.

At this point, I'm not sure if this is an issue with any plug-in or not.  Gescon is the first plug-in that I've purchased.  It sort of feels like a permission conflict between DIM and macOS Catalina.  Tech Support has not figured it out yet.

I still have a refund request open.  This is due to my trepidation on attempting a manual install.  I'm not clear that doing so outside DIM will keep Gescon updated should you release enhancements/fixes to the product.  And, of course, the possibility that I mess up the manual installation. :)

Again, thank you so very, very much for the assistance, Alvin.

If Tech Support comes through with a solution today/tomorrow, I'll be thrilled to let you know. :)

Lee

Post edited by leemoon_c43b45a114 on

leemoon_c43b45a114 said:

Hello, Alvin. Thank you so very much for your instructions on manually installing the Mac version of Gescon. I'm not entirely comfortable doing a manual install, but I do truly appreciate you taking the time to suggest this. It's very much appreciated and will likely help any others having a similar issue on macOS (Catalina.)

I understand. Maybe the instructions helps others.

leemoon_c43b45a114 said:

Last night, Tech Support asked me to try going through another cycle of delete installer files, redownload the product files, and install again.  I still experienced the hang during installation.  The 2nd file, which I believe are the cutter objects, installs without issue.  The actual plug-in file(s) installer is the one that stays at 0% installing in DIM.  I have to force quit DIM to get out of it.

At this point, I'm not sure if this is an issue with any plug-in or not.  Gescon is the first plug-in that I've purchased.  It sort of feels like a permission conflict between DIM and macOS Catalina.  Tech Support has not figured it out yet.

Maybe it is, because the plugins are installed inside of subfolders of the DAZ Studio executable directory, unlike the content files.

leemoon_c43b45a114 said:

I still have a refund request open.  This is due to my trepidation on attempting a manual install.  I'm not clear that doing so outside DIM will keep Gescon updated should you release enhancements/fixes to the product.  And, of course, the possibility that I mess up the manual installation. :)

But if anyone want to manually install the plugin and is concerned about the updates, the procedure is the same. The update will be available for you via DIM, just download and install it.

And about the messing, unless you accidentally delete something, the worst that can happen is that the plugin won't work.

leemoon_c43b45a114 said:

Again, thank you so very, very much for the assistance, Alvin.

If Tech Support comes through with a solution today/tomorrow, I'll be thrilled to let you know. :)

Lee

You're welcome!

Yes, let me know if they find the solution.

• MarshianMarshian Posts: 1,459
    edited June 2021

I've been experimenting with this plug-in a great deal and have discovered that the scale of your object plays a role in how smooth the mesh is. An object the size of a large spaceship might look like worn-out driftwood at full scale but shrinking it down to 1% can produce smooth edges when using the Union command. Some objects when too large are not processed by Gescon at all. It looks like it's working but doesn't produce an object. These different results are happening with the same precision level selected.

I've also found that using Union over and over on one object can continue to smooth it.

I really wish there were more UV projection options, that the results were smoother, and that I could keep UVs of the object without DS freezing up (this only works on very simple objects for me). 

Over all I'm really enjoying it.

Post edited by Marshian on

Hi, Marshian: 

Marshian said:

I've been experimenting with this plug-in a great deal and have discovered that the scale of your object plays a role in how smooth the mesh is. An object the size of a large spaceship might look like worn-out driftwood at full scale but shrinking it down to 1% can produce smooth edges when using the Union command. Some objects when too large are not processed by Gescon at all. It looks like it's working but doesn't produce an object. These different results are happening with the same precision level selected.

Yes, larger objects needs high precision values, but if the higher available value isn't enough, the object can be scaled down to operate it, and then re-scale the results. 

Marshian said:

I've also found that using Union over and over on one object can continue to smooth it.

I could add a filter for smoothing in a future Gescon's update, if you think this is useful.

Marshian said:

I really wish there were more UV projection options, that the results were smoother, and that I could keep UVs of the object without DS freezing up (this only works on very simple objects for me). 

What UV projection types do you think should be in Geson? 

Marshian said:

Over all I'm really enjoying it.

I'm glad that you like it. 

Hi Alberto. I'm seeing great possibilities for creating content and as a PA I really value this! I've been able to create shapes so easily now, experiment, and this plug-in has brought about an evolution in the way I think about products I want to create, things I never thought possible given my current skills. Right now the slightly rough edges that are produced by Gescon will limit what materials I use on my models. Stone, rough wood, beat-up iron, and even liquids will work well. So, there are plenty of options for me to continue with my ideas.

I have a very good feel for it now, although I haven't used Fracture yet. I would like to request the smoothing feature, the ability to decimate (reduce polygon count), any refinements to Keep Current Surfaces (speed and/or accuracy), and if possible more projection types. I've been using a procedural shader that has these projection types included (see image below). I've found many of them helpful with shapes that have a variety of curved and flat surfaces at different angles.

I can't thank you enough for this product! 

Projection types.png
    379 x 346 - 57K

Marshian said:

Hi Alberto. I'm seeing great possibilities for creating content and as a PA I really value this! I've been able to create shapes so easily now, experiment, and this plug-in has brought about an evolution in the way I think about products I want to create, things I never thought possible given my current skills. Right now the slightly rough edges that are produced by Gescon will limit what materials I use on my models. Stone, rough wood, beat-up iron, and even liquids will work well. So, there are plenty of options for me to continue with my ideas.

I have a very good feel for it now, although I haven't used Fracture yet. I would like to request the smoothing feature, the ability to decimate (reduce polygon count), any refinements to Keep Current Surfaces (speed and/or accuracy), and if possible more projection types. I've been using a procedural shader that has these projection types included (see image below). I've found many of them helpful with shapes that have a variety of curved and flat surfaces at different angles.

I can't thank you enough for this product! 

Hi, Marshian:

About decimating, the plugin already can do it. Increase the Surface Adaptivity. A value of 0.001 is a good one, but you can increase more.

All the remaining features are possible. OK, I'm putting the update in the queue (Fluidos II is first in turn).

Oh good. I thought surface adaptivity was just about simplifying polygons on a flat plane. Thanks so much I'm going to look into this some more. I'm looking forward to the next update!

Marshian said:

Oh good. I thought surface adaptivity was just about simplifying polygons on a flat plane. Thanks so much I'm going to look into this some more. I'm looking forward to the next update!

Well, yes, surface adaptivity is more like you said. It simplifies the mesh in planar near-planar regions. But it's efficient.

popup_04.jpg
    1000 x 1300 - 158K
    edited June 2021

Awesome.

Here's a ship I made with Gescon 

Marshian Gescon Ship.png
    1306 x 1030 - 2M
    Post edited by Marshian on

Marshian said:

Awesome.

Here's a ship I made with Gescon 

Oh! Magnificent! 

• HavosHavos Posts: 5,294
    edited June 2021

Here is my first real world usage of this plug-in. I needed an angle bracket for a DIY picture pack for our game I am working on. I could not find a suitable photo, or 3D model of one, so I knocked up a quick one using this plug-in. Only 5-10 mins work. I know you could do the same in a modeller easily, but it was nice to do all the work in Daz Studio.

Angle_bracket.jpg
    1024 x 1024 - 56K
    Post edited by Havos on

There is an update for MacOS users only. It fixes an interference of Gescon with PARSIS plugin.

• Haruki790Haruki790 Posts: 53

Hello,

So I bought this to see if I could make holes and rips in clothing for action scenes,saving me some post work but the fragmentor destroys the whole piece not just the part I want cut out.

Can this be used on wardrobe and if so is there a solution for my issue?

Thanks

I haven't used the fragmentor yet but the other functions of Gescon require solid geometry (closed on all sides) which most clothing is not. For what you're looking for I might create cutout or opacity maps.  

Haruki790 said:

Hello,

So I bought this to see if I could make holes and rips in clothing for action scenes,saving me some post work but the fragmentor destroys the whole piece not just the part I want cut out.

Thanks

Hi!

As Marshian, Gescon doesn't work in clothing because, in general, their geometry isn't closed-mesh. But, I created a Thickener plugin (not released yet) that can close the mesh of chlothing and other things. This way, Gescon could fracture or do any operation with cloth.

popup_01.jpg
    1300 x 1000 - 261K
  • Haruki790Haruki790 Posts: 53

Nice, I'm looking forward to trying it!

In the meantime I'll try the cut out / opacity maps suggestion.

• Mark_e593e0a5Mark_e593e0a5 Posts: 1,569

Alberto said:

Haruki790 said:

Hello,

Thanks

Hi!

As Marshian, Gescon doesn't work in clothing because, in general, their geometry isn't closed-mesh. But, I created a Thickener plugin (not released yet) that can close the mesh of chlothing and other things. This way, Gescon could fracture or do any operation with cloth.

Okay, need to secure some store credit. Consider it bought.