Error initializing open CL Kernels.

Hi All, 

Thanks in advance for any help on this issue. 

Daz 4.12, I'm attempting to run Dforce simulation and get the "error initializing open CL Kernels". Running 1080 Ti with the latest Nvidia drivers. Checked with GPUz and Open CL appears to be installed and running fine. See attached. 

Months ago I had Dforce working fine, no hardware changes since and only routine driver and software updates on this workstation. I did install Daz 4.12 using IM along with everyone else recently. 

I read the forum threads that cover open CL Kernel errors and I see that being logged into Windows 10 as administrator causes trouble. I am indeed logged in as Administrator on Windows 10. Principally because I had major crash of Windows 10 recently when it refused to log me in with my passcord and barely resuscitated Windows 10 with the backup/restore drive and found recovery and getting some programs back in line required my being logged in as Administrator, it was quite a mess and currently I am in "if it ain't broke don't fix it" mode. So, I prefer not to log out as Administrator, but obviously will attempt so if this is the only hope for resoluton. 

With that said, I am no expert at Windows 10 and would love to hear suggestions on this issue and if a Daz 4.12 reinstall IS necessary, how I might safely go about that and if I should do so under a normal login. Would all Daz products need to be reinstalled as well? 

Big Thanks...
David 

Comments

• Have you gone to the Advancd tab of th Simulation Settings pane to check that it is using the right OpenCL device?

• Hi Richard, thanks for the feedback. Yes I did, I selected each and every device listed going down one by one and repeated the process. Each generated the error. 

• and the system specification looks very good, so I don;'t knoww hat the issue could be. If that's the General remease have you ried the Public Build, https://www.daz3d.com/daz-studio-beta ?

• david_23523141david_23523141 Posts: 40
    edited January 2020

and the system specification looks very good, so I don;'t knoww hat the issue could be. If that's the General remease have you ried the Public Build, https://www.daz3d.com/daz-studio-beta ?

I reinstalled Nvidia Drivers, to eliminate that as cause. Tried running the old 4.12 Beta Daz no luck. I ran an sniffer app that verified OpenCL, it was OKAY. I also ran an Nvidia developer widget that demonstrates OpenCL in action, it played fine using OpenCL. I believe GPUs are working and all OpenCL dll are fine. 

LOG FILE: 

2020-01-04 22:27:02.782 WARNING: ..\..\..\..\..\src\sdksource\cloud\dzcloudtasknotifier.cpp(178): peer performed orderly shutdown errno=0
    2020-01-04 22:27:29.921 WARNING: ..\..\..\..\..\src\sdksource\general\dzcontentmgr.cpp(3407): Empty absolutePath passed to DzContentMgr::getRelativePath()
    2020-01-04 22:27:30.807 WARNING: ..\..\..\..\..\src\sdksource\general\dzcontentmgr.cpp(3407): Empty absolutePath passed to DzContentMgr::getRelativePath()
    2020-01-04 22:27:30.828 WARNING: ..\..\..\..\..\src\sdksource\general\dzcontentmgr.cpp(3407): Empty absolutePath passed to DzContentMgr::getRelativePath()
    2020-01-04 22:27:35.808 WARNING: ..\..\..\src\dzdynamicsengine.cpp(425): Using device: GeForce GTX 1080 Ti
    2020-01-04 22:27:36.143 WARNING: ..\..\..\src\dzopenclkernelfactory.cpp(401): ERROR: clCreateContext (-5)
    2020-01-04 22:27:36.145 WARNING: ..\..\..\src\dzopenclkernelfactory.cpp(124): m_isValid = false @ dzopenclkernelfactory.h, line 36 (after setupContext())
    2020-01-04 22:27:36.602 WARNING: ..\..\..\src\dzdynamicsengine.cpp(3500): Error initializing OpenCL!

I'm also reading on this thread: https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/370326/daz-studio-4-12-0-86-dforce-and-nvidia-rtx-2060

Marching Cubes Open CL Test.JPG
    2560 x 1440 - 219K
    Post edited by david_23523141 on
  • UPDATE: 

Reading as many other Daz Forum threads as I could find, the OpenCL kernel error could be an Nvidia Driver issue. It could also be related to my having three GPUs installed and all of them showing, maybe a conflict. I'm trying to determine how to clear so many GPUs showing from the Dforce dropbox list. 

In the meantime, I was reading this thread from Daz: https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/203081/dforce-start-here

I installed the Intel OpenCL runtime for Xeon CPUs. https://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/opencl-drivers

OpenCL for CPU install was very simple. Upon restart Daz 4.12 under Dforce devices now only lists my Intel Xeon CPU. The kernel were initialized and Dforce works. This might be a good workaround for anyone experiencing GPU related OpenCL errors in Daz and needing to simulate Dforce items. 

The question I have now is how Daz handles Dforce across multiple frames when rendering an animation, and having GPUs for iRay rendering and CPU selected for Dforce. 

• nautiwoodnautiwood Posts: 24
    edited August 2020

Having this same problem after having Dforce working fine.  Upgraded Nvidia driver and that could have been the trigger, but I have reverted back to drivers from a couple months ago, going backward one at a time. Each time it still fails to initialize the kernel. I tried downloading the openCL for intel as indicated, but it won't install because of an already installed intel HD driver.  Can't figure out how to remove that... yet.

Post edited by nautiwood on
  • mistycomicmistycomic Posts: 36
    edited April 2021

Im having the same error message ""Error initializing openCL kernels"" when i try to simulate.

Simulation has been running perfect for months on released / beta builds. 

Have changed my OpenCL device under advanced , to no avail. 

On my log the following is repeated many times

"2021-04-28 01:45:37.061 Iray [INFO] - IRAY:RENDER ::   1.0   IRAY   rend info : Device statistics:
    2021-04-28 01:45:37.061 Iray [INFO] - IRAY:RENDER ::   1.0   IRAY   rend info : CPU:      1046 iterations, 6.360s init, 479.693s render
    2021-04-28 01:45:37.069 WARNING: /src/dzdynamicsengine.cpp(426): Using device: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8700B CPU @ 3.20GHz
    2021-04-28 01:45:37.662 WARNING: /src/dzopenclkernelfactory.cpp(32): Open CL notify: [CL_DEVICE_NOT_AVAILABLE] : OpenCL Error : Error: build program driver returned (-2)
    2021-04-28 01:45:37.662 WARNING: /src/dzopenclkernelfactory.cpp(32): Open CL notify: OpenCL Warning : clBuildProgram failed: could not build program for 0xffffffff (Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8700B CPU @ 3.20GHz) (err:-2)
    2021-04-28 01:45:37.662 WARNING: /src/dzopenclkernelfactory.cpp(32): Open CL notify: [CL_BUILD_ERROR] : OpenCL Build Error : Compiler build log:
    CVMS_ERROR_INVALID_CONNECTION: Invalid connection given."

Running Mac Catalina btw.

Any suggestions?

Post edited by mistycomic on
  • nemesis10nemesis10 Posts: 3,256

mistycomic said:

Im having the same error message ""Error initializing openCL kernels"" when i try to simulate.

Simulation has been running perfect for months on released / beta builds. 

Have changed my OpenCL device under advanced , to no avail. 

On my log the following is repeated many times

"2021-04-28 01:45:37.061 Iray [INFO] - IRAY:RENDER ::   1.0   IRAY   rend info : Device statistics:
    2021-04-28 01:45:37.061 Iray [INFO] - IRAY:RENDER ::   1.0   IRAY   rend info : CPU:      1046 iterations, 6.360s init, 479.693s render
    2021-04-28 01:45:37.069 WARNING: /src/dzdynamicsengine.cpp(426): Using device: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8700B CPU @ 3.20GHz
    2021-04-28 01:45:37.662 WARNING: /src/dzopenclkernelfactory.cpp(32): Open CL notify: [CL_DEVICE_NOT_AVAILABLE] : OpenCL Error : Error: build program driver returned (-2)
    2021-04-28 01:45:37.662 WARNING: /src/dzopenclkernelfactory.cpp(32): Open CL notify: OpenCL Warning : clBuildProgram failed: could not build program for 0xffffffff (Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8700B CPU @ 3.20GHz) (err:-2)
    2021-04-28 01:45:37.662 WARNING: /src/dzopenclkernelfactory.cpp(32): Open CL notify: [CL_BUILD_ERROR] : OpenCL Build Error : Compiler build log:
    CVMS_ERROR_INVALID_CONNECTION: Invalid connection given."

Running Mac Catalina btw.

Any suggestions?

I just ran itno this too....  I will put in a support ticket...

• Had anything been changed on your mac prior to receiving this error?

We had a security update but nothing that involved graphics, Opencl, or anything like that.... I checked all of 5e libraries and they are undisturbed I.e. the security update did not affect them.  There was no alterations to anything connected to graphics.

• Yeah that had crossed my mind, so i fired off an email to Apple just to see if they could shed any light.

Looking through the forums it appears that this has happened before, on windows they talk about updating the drivers, for the mac no solution. 

Here is a detailed description of what was in the update (nothing connected to OpenGL): https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT212326

• Rod Wise DriggoRod Wise Driggo Posts: 2,150

I have the same problem CPU-based dForce was always running fine. Only using "best" caused crashes, but "better" setting went fine.

Out of the sudden I get the "Initializing" error. Did only some non-critical updates but am not award that I changed anything.

Running studion on a 2019 MBP and Catalina 10.15.7.

• 42snoopy4242snoopy42 Posts: 21
    edited May 2021

Not sure where to assign responsibility, from day one (Aug of 2020) dForce would not compile on my ATI Radeon Pro W5700X and DAZ never gave a good answer. I'm not sure if it is possible/good form to post my trouble ticket. I've reopened to (also) report the failure.

Post edited by 42snoopy42 on
  • I am still having this issue as well. For me it started on Apirl 30th 2021. It worked fine on the 29th.

• MontecristoMontecristo Posts: 49

I'm having the same issue. Apple deprecated OpenCL a while back, and if I remember correctly it was never available in Catalina via the AMD GPUs; only the CPU based OpenCL implementation was available. It's possible they removed it as part of a security update so they didn't have to patch it - but I've no inside info to confirm this. 

Well, FWIW - OpenCL still shows as a registered framework on my machine, so the previous comment is likely wrong.

• Rod Wise DriggoRod Wise Driggo Posts: 2,150

Montecristo said:

Well, FWIW - OpenCL still shows as a registered framework on my machine, so the previous comment is likely wrong.

how can one check this? And is dforce on cpu working for you on catalina?

I have actually managed to get dforce working again on the internal graphics NOT the CPU . This was achieved after reading past comments about the security issues with windows. Not sure if it was a fluke but it was suggested that you install the software NOT as a main administrator, but as a user with admin rights. I set up a new user , installed Daz again and as I say I can now use  dforce on the internal graphics  NOT the CPU. The CPU still shows the same error message . 

Rod Wise Driggo said:

Montecristo said:

how can one check this? And is dforce on cpu working for you on catalina?

No; no OpenCL of any kind for me. You can see the frameworks available by looking in "About This Mac / System Report" under Software/Frameworks on the left navigation tree. I'm not confident that a listed framework will guarantee it's still supported, but I would expect that. 

mistycomic said:

I have actually managed to get dforce working again on the internal graphics NOT the CPU . This was achieved after reading past comments about the security issues with windows. Not sure if it was a fluke but it was suggested that you install the software NOT as a main administrator, but as a user with admin rights. I set up a new user , installed Daz again and as I say I can now use  dforce on the internal graphics  NOT the CPU. The CPU still shows the same error message . 

Does OpenCL work on your original account, or only on the new account? 

@Rod Wise Driggo - i was able to get dForce working again without reinstalling Studio. I followed a simplified version of what @mistycomic did. You may be able to simpify it further:

1. restarted in recovery mode and performed first aid on all volumes - no errors were detected, so you may be able to skip this.

2. created a temporary user and attempted to use the already installed Studio from it.- it doesn't really work since it cannot find the base resources, and may not be needed.

3. shut down completely, booted and logged in using my original (normal) user id

4. started studio and created a new scene with one character and one piece of dforce clothing

5. went to the Simulation/Advanced pane and selected Apple Intel(R) UHD Graphics 630 as the OpenCL device

6. started the simulation - the OpenCL kernels were recompiled and simulation worked

My guess is that you may be able to get away with steps 3-6 only. I think the key is to try the Intel drivers first after a clean boot - that something gets clobbered if you try the other devices first. I have not changed the setting since.

Good Luck!

On my original account 

did you get it to work on graphics card?

• 42snoopy4242snoopy42 Posts: 21

Montecristo said:

@Rod Wise Driggo - i was able to get dForce working again without reinstalling Studio. I followed a simplified version of what @mistycomic did. You may be able to simpify it further:

1. restarted in recovery mode and performed first aid on all volumes - no errors were detected, so you may be able to skip this.

2. created a temporary user and attempted to use the already installed Studio from it.- it doesn't really work since it cannot find the base resources, and may not be needed.

3. shut down completely, booted and logged in using my original (normal) user id

4. started studio and created a new scene with one character and one piece of dforce clothing

5. went to the Simulation/Advanced pane and selected Apple Intel(R) UHD Graphics 630 as the OpenCL device

6. started the simulation - the OpenCL kernels were recompiled and simulation worked

My guess is that you may be able to get away with steps 3-6 only. I think the key is to try the Intel drivers first after a clean boot - that something gets clobbered if you try the other devices first. I have not changed the setting since.

Good Luck!

Just performing steps 3 through 6 worked for me, I am now able to run a simulation on my Apple ATI Radeon Pro 560X and Apple Intel(R) UHD Graphics 630

mistycomic said:

On my original account 

did you get it to work on graphics card?

Haven't tried the Radeon graphics card, only the Intel. Will give it a shot and see. 

• AbrahamRockwellAbrahamRockwell Posts: 109
    edited February 2022

I'm having the same problem, and being relatively new to Daz Studio (and somewhat computer illiterate), have no real idea of all that has been said, unfortunately.

I'll try to follow some of these suggestions, but in the end, I may have to just give up on DForce until a better fix is found :-(

Edit: I even tried 'rolling back' to a older installation of Daz Studio (4.12), with the same results.

Post edited by AbrahamRockwell on
  • AbrahamRockwell said:

I'm having the same problem, and being relatively new to Daz Studio (and somewhat computer illiterate), have no real idea of all that has been said, unfortunately.

I'll try to follow some of these suggestions, but in the end, I may have to just give up on DForce until a better fix is found :-(

Edit: I even tried 'rolling back' to a older installation of Daz Studio (4.12), with the same results.

If you roll up to the up-to-date installation of D/S [not the beta, the regular one], you can open a CS ticket for Tech Support. 

• PugwashPugwash Posts: 3

I've just encountered the same error message on my Windows 11 machine. Working one moment, error the next. I was using the latest nvidia game ready drivers, so I downloaded the latest studio drivers and Daz recompiled the dforce snizzle and resolved whatever the problem was. Presumably it'll recompile just because it detected a change, so I may install the game ready drivers again.

• ohannonohannon Posts: 4

Finally! A fix for this that works! I'm posting this in a couple of threads to hopefully get many a solution. I can confirm that charles-holden_d8fd00bdef has a workable solution for Windows 10. I downloaded the OpenCL™ and OpenGL® Compatibility Pack - Microsoft Store Apps from the microsoft store, installed and restarted. At first I didn't think it worked, but I checked my OpenCL device options, and after I installed this pack, I gained 2 more options. My only option for the last 2 years was AMD Accelerated Parallel Processing gfx1031. Now I have OpenCLOn12 AMD Radeon RX 6700 XT and OpenCLOn12 Microsoft Basic Render Driver as new options to choose. I choose the RX 6700 option and I was able to run a Dforce simulation. Charles Holden - thanks man! So hopefully all on AMD can start using their dforce content for the fist time in a very long time. Hey DAZ, how about making this front page news to help your customers that have been screwed for almost 2 years?! 

Windows 10

AMD Ryzen 5 3600 6-Core Processor  3.60 GHz

32GB of RAM

AMD Radeon RX 6700 XT