The Newest Evolution Is Here: The Daz Season Pass!

Comments

• AllenArtAllenArt Posts: 7,140

benniewoodell said:

Wonderland said:

I just googled “Mod Squad” and this seems to be what the last few characters were about and Jacqueline even looks a bit like the character Julie and Jada looks like a female version of Linc.

Police Capt. Adam Greer recruits a trio of "hippie cops" with checkered pasts to infiltrate the counterculture and nail the adult criminals preying on clueless young Southern Californians. This "youth squad" is made up of Pete, whose wealthy parents kicked him out of their posh Beverly Hills home; Linc, a survivor of the ghetto; and Julie, a former hooker arrested for vagrancy.” 

There was a remake in, I think, 1999 that had Claire Daines, Omar Epps, and Josh Brolin in it. Pretty good flick. I didn't care for the show but my folks loved it, and, of course, reverse those roles for thoughts on the movie remake lol. 

I never cared for the TV show either, but then I was a small kid at the time and would have rather been watching Star Trek (yes, the ORIGINAL...lol). 

• ArkadySkiesArkadySkies Posts: 206

Cybersox said:

Out of curiousity, has anyone actually seen a Gold or Silver Season Pass badge anywhere in the forums?  I don't spend as much time here as I used to, but I don't think I've browsed past anything except Platinums...

I've heard rumors of a Gold badge user but haven't seen them myself, and no Silver, but I don't think they succeeded in building the kind of momentum or FOMO pressure they needed to sell a package that shrank in value at each tier with.that much markup (at $250 for non-PC and just the characters, HD, and webinar, I'm not sure you're really saving money compared to buying them at their regular 30% off new item price, unless you genuinely love and buy every character's HD morphs and agree they're worth an extra $30-$40 a pop. Even then, there are better sales).

I feel like if Daz were serious about enticing people to buy Gold they would've released the first figure DURING the Platinum run, instead of making everyone wait to see any characters until Platinum timed out, and then released the second figure BEFORE Gold was timed out (Gold ended April 20th, Jackie was released ~27 or 28th). People were expected to adopt Platinum without seeing a single character during the entire run (Platinum ended Apr 12, and Brooke appears to have reached customers April 13), and adopt Gold on the strength of ONE released character. I think failing to release more than one character before both these tiers timed out probably reduced any ability they could have had in building momentum with their increasingly pricy tiers. By the time Silver rolled around, people were probably bored waiting to see what else was coming besides Brooke and likely already either apathetic towards the SP thing, or grateful they didn't gamble their money on it.

• Kaye KayeKaye Kaye Posts: 210

Which one is correct, or can either be used?

From the SP page:

Show Jada 8.1 in her element!
    Create a render with the theme, "a bold, roller-skating civilian that likes to keep her neighborhood a peaceful place.”

From the Offical Rules page:

1. Use the Daz character Jada 8.1 to create a new static render not previously posted or shared that relates to the theme of a “roller-skating civilian with a bold charm that allows her to infiltrate criminal rings” — showcasing her desire to uphold a strong community.
  • LyonessLyoness Posts: 1,606
    edited May 2021

OOOOHHHH!

• Charlie's Angels!!

• You are under arrest, sugar.

Both of those make me so happy!  Plus roller skates!

Post edited by Lyoness on
  • jjmainorjjmainor Posts: 473

Maybe she's in a neighborhood watch...

• Daz Jack TomalinDaz Jack Tomalin Posts: 13,085

Kaye Kaye said:

Which one is correct, or can either be used?

From the SP page:

Show Jada 8.1 in her element!
    Create a render with the theme, "a bold, roller-skating civilian that likes to keep her neighborhood a peaceful place.”

From the Offical Rules page:

1. Use the Daz character Jada 8.1 to create a new static render not previously posted or shared that relates to the theme of a “roller-skating civilian with a bold charm that allows her to infiltrate criminal rings” — showcasing her desire to uphold a strong community.

If you're only going to do one, I would go with the official rules.  But tbh I dont think they will exclude the one from the SP page either.

• SevrinSevrin Posts: 6,300

jjmainor said:

Maybe she's in a neighborhood watch...

Peeking through her blinds while wearing roller skates. 

• SickleYieldSickleYield Posts: 7,626

MeneerWolfman said:

SickleYield said:

AllenArt said:

Torquinox said:

AllenArt said:

melissastjames said:

AllenArt said:

She's not a bad looking character, tho I'm not sure if she has a big head or her shoulders are too narrow. One of the two ;). My biggest complaint is that the Daz store is turning into another T&A festival. I put up with it for 22 years. I don't have enough years left to put up with it again ;).

There is defintely something funktastic going on with those shoulders/head. 

And yeah, it seems like the reputation for three-dee-pr0n-generator is definitely well-deserved as of late. I've only been Daz'ing for a couple years now, but it's gotten more and more boobs n' stillettos.  

Very early on it was pretty even, with almost as much male stuff as female for Mike 1 and 2, a little less, but still sufficient for Mike 3, up to about Mike 4 when it started diverging and Vicky 4 became the major focus. Ever since it's all been about the boobs and skimpware. Last year and the year before it was improving by quite a bit, but now I think it's as bad as I've ever seen it for the lack of male stuff. And the male characters and clothes that DO come out...well, I'll be nice and say I'd rather leave them in the store. LOL. I was really enjoying the Christians, the Ollies, the Floyds and the Dasans **sigh**

You're probably aware that Sickleyield laid out the financial reasons why it is this way.

I am aware. And I'm not even sure it applies like it used to. V4 era, maybe. V8 era? Maybe some want a little more variation. After all, the store can't ALL be female. And the males for 8.1 so far are beyond disappointing. Mike 8.1 looks like a toon and I haven't seen a good character for 8.1 male yet. 

Sure, let me look at my store sales in the Genesis 8 era.  I don't have that many products that are still split by sex, because the ding on male sets was so bad for Genesis 3 that I just started making "genesis 8" sets instead of "Genesis 8 Female" and "Genesis 8 Male" sets for the effects and widgets that are chiefly my bread and butter.  These are over the entire time since release.  It's rare for a set to get over a hundred copies on day one, and clothing sets seldom make it to that, they make up the units more over time (I make large, niche clothing sets, and infrequently, because of the amount of time it takes).  Then sales trail off until things have been in the catalog long enough to get into the 2.99 sales, where they shoot way up.

dForce Roman Clothing G8F: 1145

dForce Roman Clothing G8M: 1138 

dForce Rags G8F: 491

dForce Rags G8M: 475

Fantastical Features G8F: 337

Fantastical Features G8M: 206

Unusual Features G8F: 382

Unusual Features G8M: 351

SF Beautiful Skin G8F: 480
    SF Beautiful Skin G8M: 403

There's more, but except for the Morphing Fantasy Armor G8 sets, where the male sold more, generally it all follows the same trend.  The female versions do sell more, but the gap is less than in the G2-G3 periods.

That's actually way closer than I thought it would be. I'm actually surprised, the way that it's been painted in the past makes it sound like "The female version sold 3,000 copies, the male version sold 5".

It surprised me, too!  I'm probably not going to go back to splitting products, because I hate doing twice as many promos, but that's definitely a narrower gap than I had with G1, G2, or G3 (I never sold a V4/M4 product at Daz3d, I joined the party a little late for that).

• TorquinoxTorquinox Posts: 2,406

That's all good to know. Thanks @Sickleyield smiley

• Congrats to the Jazz contest winners...
    https://www.daz3d.com/season-pass-2021

(Kenzie has multiple now!)

• LyonessLyoness Posts: 1,606

The Blurst of Times said:

Congrats to the Jazz contest winners...
    https://www.daz3d.com/season-pass-2021

(Kenzie has multiple now!)

yeah! well done everyone!

• The Blurst of TimesThe Blurst of Times Posts: 2,410
    edited May 2021

Reminder about Season Pass contest entries.
    Entries are due on May 18 by 11:59pm (SLC time).

I feel like this has changed a few times?

Entries will be judged by Daz employees and will be based on lighting, texture, and the theme of “a bold, roller-skating civilian that likes to keep her neighborhood a peaceful place.”

Also, it needs to be emailed...

Email Your Render

Email your render in JPG format to
    [email protected]
    with the subject “seasonpass” along with your name and title of your artwork

Official rules here:

https://www.daz3d.com/official-contest-rules

With the descriptor...

Use the Daz character Jada 8.1 to create a new static render not previously posted or shared that relates to the theme of a “roller-skating civilian with a bold charm that allows her to infiltrate criminal rings” — showcasing her desire to uphold a strong community.

Like the last time, "Low on time and high on crime"? LOL.

I still don't know what that means... nor can I make that much sense of the Jada thing.

Post edited by The Blurst of Times on
  • Lothar WeberLothar Weber Posts: 1,611

After the contest is over, this was my entry to the Jazz contest: "Jazz is my name, Free Jazz"

• Congrats to the winners again (not me crying)...

https://www.daz3d.com/season-pass-2021#contestWinners

(SEE?! The rollerskates were really important!)

• The RED CrownThe RED Crown Posts: 247

The Blurst of Times said:

Congrats to the winners again (not me crying)...

https://www.daz3d.com/season-pass-2021#contestWinners

(SEE?! The rollerskates were really important!)

sad 

• memcneil70memcneil70 Posts: 3,684

Okay. I have the email for Fred 8.1. Went to my Product Library while DIM loaded up. Is he stuck somewhere?

• Robert FreiseRobert Freise Posts: 4,247
    edited May 2021

memcneil70 said:

Okay. I have the email for Fred 8.1. Went to my Product Library while DIM loaded up. Is he stuck somewhere?

He must be hiding somewhere  and Daz can't find him

Post edited by Robert Freise on
  • felisfelis Posts: 3,576

Robert Freise said:

memcneil70 said:

He must be hiding somewhere  and Daz can't find him

Maybe they should have given you Wally instead.

I think they went for Fred Flintstone on this one. Wally too thin.

Now in DIM and my Product Library. Thanks Daz.

• Here's the image from the Product Description in the library...

This lovable guy started as the class clown and became the funniest and most sought-after act in New York City! His humor is based on relatable, everyday struggles, so everyone can't help but laughing when they go to his shows. When he's not working nights, you'll find him writing new material at home or a local cafe or jogging in the trendiest athletic wear.

• SeraSera Posts: 1,675

I think he's great! A little weird to offer all these average-looking people for the first season pass, but w/e. He's cool! Bonus points for flavor text that works. 

edited May 2021

My first run at him. I had to keep it simple, I have had constant fatal errors and full crashes of my systems since the latest Win 10 and Nividia updates. Driving me crazy.

Back to Fred. He has a curly smile. Love it. I did the swimsuit so you can see his default skin, I only changed his eye color to another option available. No fibermesh brows and body hair is painted on. I also used one of The Brute's pose sets, thinking it would handle his girth the best.

Fred 81.png
    900 x 1456 - 2M
    Post edited by memcneil70 on
  • benniewoodellbenniewoodell Posts: 1,886

certaintree38 said:

A little weird to offer all these average-looking people for the first season pass.

Yep. Jaqueline and Jada were the only two in the pass that I would have bought, up until now I've bought pretty much all the base characters. Granted, I put the blame on me for buying into this and believing it was a good idea, but I was looking at all the previous releases and how I was happy with all of them and thought it was a no brainer to save money on what I figured I'd inevitably buy anyways since the five characters and HD would be about fifty bucks more than the pass itself. I won't be doing the pass again, glad this is over with. 

• jimmyzpopjimmyzpop Posts: 116
    edited May 2021

certaintree38 said:

I think he's great! A little weird to offer all these average-looking people for the first season pass, but w/e. He's cool! Bonus points for flavor text that works. 

I like Fred too! I agree its strange that there are many average looking people for the first pass, however I am really loving Brooke, Jada, jaqueline and seems like Fred will be a cool addition as well. Its almost as if Daz did the season pass as a way to guarantee some revenue sales since averge looking characters probably under perform compared to the top runway models and beefcakes body builders that usually are sold on the site. I am glad I did not buy into the pass, but happy to pick up a few characters that were realsed.  

Post edited by jimmyzpop on
  • PaperMoonPaperMoon Posts: 37
    edited May 2021

It was fun and exciting at times to see what surprises DAZ had to offer.  However, I beleive I'm going to skip the next season pass offer (if there is one).   I would much rather pay the little extra to pick and choose the 8.1 HD characters I prefer the most. smiley

Post edited by PaperMoon on
  • benniewoodell said:

certaintree38 said:

A little weird to offer all these average-looking people for the first season pass.

Yep. Jaqueline and Jada were the only two in the pass that I would have bought, up until now I've bought pretty much all the base characters.

x3
    Same.

I was going to say I'd probably buy 2/5 of these SP figures, without specifying them... but Jada and Jacqueline are the obvious ones here.

I don't mind "normal", but... like, plus sized women? There's Bethany 7, and then there are lesser figures, IMO. Bethany manages a larger body shape in a way that seems better than normal? I'd rather want super-normal, you know?

(I'd leave it to the experts if Fred accomplishes "huggy bear" or whatever in a way that Bethany managed to pull of plus size with an amazing body shape... not into dudes myself, so I cannot really judge if he's "fluffy cute" or "ugh, like, no" in appearance.)

IMO, a Season Pass should be about stuff people would go crazy about buying. It should be "4 out of 5" must-buy figures, IMO... like a Torment, White Priestess, Cleopatra. A SP shouldn't be used to sell stuff that people wouldn't be interested in buying. That's not how it works with online games... SPs are a reward for loyalty$$$ up front.

"2 out of 5" isn't a successful SP, IMO, no matter what they think the sales numbers were going in. (Instead, it looks like people who didn't spend on the SP might be ahead of the SP users. That's not how you make a successful online gatcha game.)

• AllenArtAllenArt Posts: 7,140

Not feeling it. I don't mind his weight so much, but I've honestly never seen a heavier person done well in 3D. Not realistically anyway.

• SeraSera Posts: 1,675

jimmyzpop said:

certaintree38 said:

...Its almost as if Daz did the season pass as a way to guarantee some revenue sales since averge looking characters probably under perform compared to the top runway models and beefcakes body builders that usually are sold on the site...

I had the same thought. 

But I really like Fred's body! He manages to be chubby and cute at the same time. I liked Brooke's general shape but not so much the cellulite. But Fred's size is smooth, and to me, attractive. I can see myself getting Fred, to use alone or as a dial-in. 

• benniewoodellbenniewoodell Posts: 1,886

x3
    Same.

I was going to say I'd probably buy 2/5 of these SP figures, without specifying them... but Jada and Jacqueline are the obvious ones here.

I don't mind "normal", but... like, plus sized women? There's Bethany 7, and then there are lesser figures, IMO. Bethany manages a larger body shape in a way that seems better than normal? I'd rather want super-normal, you know?

(I'd leave it to the experts if Fred accomplishes "huggy bear" or whatever in a way that Bethany managed to pull of plus size with an amazing body shape... not into dudes myself, so I cannot really judge if he's "fluffy cute" or "ugh, like, no" in appearance.)

IMO, a Season Pass should be about stuff people would go crazy about buying. It should be "4 out of 5" must-buy figures, IMO... like a Torment, White Priestess, Cleopatra. A SP shouldn't be used to sell stuff that people wouldn't be interested in buying. That's not how it works with online games... SPs are a reward for loyalty$$$ up front.

"2 out of 5" isn't a successful SP, IMO, no matter what they think the sales numbers were going in. (Instead, it looks like people who didn't spend on the SP might be ahead of the SP users. That's not how you make a successful online gatcha game.)

Exactly. Yay for having a body type for every type of person, I'm all for it so folks can have options if they want them, but don't lump these characters into something like this where people buy it sight unseen at a big price expecting the top quality of Daz Originals that we have seen released week in and week out over the years. Don't pull the rug out on what you've been releasing now. Put in more of your Torments, Priestess, Sahiras, Jadas and such, that's what I was expecting they'd do to make us want to shell out another hundred and fifty next time this rolls around. I'm working for a client and they needed a new character animated today and they literally said please don't give us any frumpy people, give us someone pretty. I'm buying these characters for my business and I can't use half of the characters in this pass so it was a total waste of money.  I've worked in the film industry the past 20 years, I get what people want for their projects no matter if you agree with the casting of that "ideal bodytype" or not. Heck, when we were casting actors for a film in China that I directed a few years ago, the investor didn't even care to look at demo reels or sit in on the auditions, he literally picked who he wanted based off of their photobooks (they don't give a simple headshot there, we got booklets from actors with all different photographs in elaborate photoshoots like it was their own personal advertisement, what a fascinating experience that film was, I learned so much) and if they couldn't act he said who cares, just dub their voice over with someone who can act. Do I agree with it? No, but it is what it is if you want the gig. 

Again, it's my fault for believing that this was going to end up being a good deal, I take full responsibility on that end, but I still feel completely swindled. I agree with the comment above as well about it feels like Daz knew ahead of time they were not going to sell many of these everyday people and so they put them in here to make sure they got their sales quotas. 

Ah well, I'll submit my contest render this week and call it a day on the pass, take the three characters off my hard drive and never speak of this again. Looking forward to seeing what you come up with for a contest render!