The Newest Evolution Is Here: The Daz Season Pass!

Comments

• zombietaggerungzombietaggerung Posts: 3,643

certaintree38 said:

When do civilians go undercover to bust criminals? I don't think I've ever heard of such a thing. To be fair, I don't watch a lot of cop shows. I used to watch Law & Order, but I don't know if that counts.

Literally never. A civillian cannot be "undercover". One has to be in law enforcement of some kind in order to go undercover. Otherwise, you're just a criminal too.

• Daz Jack TomalinDaz Jack Tomalin Posts: 13,119

certaintree38 said:

When do civilians go undercover to bust criminals? I don't think I've ever heard of such a thing. To be fair, I don't watch a lot of cop shows. I used to watch Law & Order, but I don't know if that counts.

Probably refers to the 'off-duty' aspect

• shadowhawk1shadowhawk1 Posts: 2,186

Daz Jack Tomalin said:

certaintree38 said:

An off duty police officer is still a police officer and would not be called a civilian. 

• Daz Jack TomalinDaz Jack Tomalin Posts: 13,119

shadowhawk1 said:

Daz Jack Tomalin said:

certaintree38 said:

An off duty police officer is still a police officer and would not be called a civilian. 

Might be part of the undercover ruse

• xyer0xyer0 Posts: 5,677

It's Daztopia: Nothing has to make sense!

Daz Jack Tomalin said:

shadowhawk1 said:

Daz Jack Tomalin said:

certaintree38 said:

Might be part of the undercover ruse

A police officer working undercover would identify him/herself as an officer the minute the 'bust' went down, and would generally have a large police uniformed presence when it happened. A prime example of it would be watching vice conducting prostitution stings, but this is daz's ballgame not worth fighting about. 

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,696

Surely the PI going "undercover" is a staple of crime fiction?

• A private detective would imply a client and then an actual job/purpose, and not general vigilantism against the local criminal element (whoever that is... is that someone from her community? Is that inclusive of the people who police her community (no politics implied)?).

Pretty character with a weird word salad.

Makes me yearn for the "business industry" description that kicked off the Season Pass event.

Richard Haseltine said:

Surely the PI going "undercover" is a staple of crime fiction?

A Private Investigator wouldn't go under cover as suggested

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,696

What is suggested? It's just a short blurb, not a legal textbook, and i'm sure it's drawing its inspiration from fiction rather than real-world practice, and from the era approximately suggested by the designs rather than current practice.

• jestmartjestmart Posts: 4,449

TV show "The Mod Squad" the three main characters where undercover civilians.

• jestmart said:

...but they worked for the Cops? Yes? (i.e. they were cops)

Richard Haseltine said:

What is suggested? It's just a short blurb, not a legal textbook, and i'm sure it's drawing its inspiration from fiction rather than real-world practice, and from the era approximately suggested by the designs rather than current practice.

I wasn't saying that it was a legal text book richard, and I am not the only one that found the discription to be ambiguous and confusing. If you have a product discription that is confusing like that, it tends to make people pause about think about purchasing the product.

• mr clammr clam Posts: 707
    edited May 2021

All the market-babble describing the recent new characters has been a nonsensical car crash of words. It's like a Mad Magazine parody of what marketing is. It's good for a laugh, but rather embarrassing otherwise.

Post edited by mr clam on
  • ColinFrenchColinFrench Posts: 633

shadowhawk1 said:

...but this is daz's ballgame not worth fighting about. 

Quite true, I'd rather Daz improve the quality control of the actual products than that of flavor text. I rarely read it anyway, but things like missing files or messed up metadata etc etc is a real problem.

• WonderlandWonderland Posts: 6,735

I’ve seen TV shows where police give civilians wires to go undercover and they wait in a truck nearby and have code words or phrases if the person needs immediate backup. Not sure if that happens in real life though. 

Wonderland said:

I’ve seen TV shows where police give civilians wires to go undercover and they wait in a truck nearby and have code words or phrases if the person needs immediate backup. Not sure if that happens in real life though. 

I was only a patrol officer and not a detective, I am sure that it did happen but I don't think it happened as much as TV shows suggest. That is the nature of TV though. Generally from my dealings with detectives they mainly used confidential informants that either snitched for leniency on a pending court case or someone trying to sell a tip for some quick cash.

• TJohnTJohn Posts: 11,006

I'm reminded of the tv series "Get Christie Love!" starring Teresa Graves. Look it up. 

"You're under arrest, Sugar."

• IceCrMnIceCrMn Posts: 2,107

shadowhawk1 said:

Wonderland said:

I was only a patrol officer and not a detective, I am sure that it did happen but I don't think it happened as much as TV shows suggest. That is the nature of TV though. Generally from my dealings with detectives they mainly used confidential informants that either snitched for leniency on a pending court case or someone trying to sell a tip for some quick cash.

Fox Network had "COPS" and the police routinely used girl friends, wives, and female friends to pose as the "hooker" for their vise stings.Again, not sure how much of that was real and how much was for "dramatic purposes". 

IceCrMn said:

shadowhawk1 said:

Wonderland said:

Fox Network had "COPS" and the police routinely used girl friends, wives, and female friends to pose as the "hooker" for their vise stings.Again, not sure how much of that was real and how much was for "dramatic purposes". 

The problem with that is using someone that isn't a trained LEO, you open the department to litigation if the individual gets hurt. I am sure that they were using officers assigned to vice for those stings but said they were girlfriends and wives to protect their ability to work undercover in the future. 

• AlmightyQUESTAlmightyQUEST Posts: 1,959
    jestmart said:

Thank you, I was worried I had somehow vividly hallucinated an entire TV show that didn't exist, since for the past three figures no one was aware of this show!
  • WolfwoodWolfwood Posts: 675

Richard Haseltine said:

Is a piece of confusing text. Actually your take on being a PI is certainly more interesting.

Still, i try to think of the characters outside whatever their marketing theme. But since DAZ is kind of forcing it for the contest, then it would be nice if they invest time on it instead of tosing random frases following the current "undercover" trend.

I’m not eligible for this contest but think it could be kind of fun. I’d do a scene of a drug dealer ripping open Jada’s shirt to discover a wire underneath. Assuming I could find a wire prop. Maybe that should have been included in the bundle? Probably doable in post though...

I just googled “Mod Squad” and this seems to be what the last few characters were about and Jacqueline even looks a bit like the character Julie and Jada looks like a female version of Linc.

Police Capt. Adam Greer recruits a trio of "hippie cops" with checkered pasts to infiltrate the counterculture and nail the adult criminals preying on clueless young Southern Californians. This "youth squad" is made up of Pete, whose wealthy parents kicked him out of their posh Beverly Hills home; Linc, a survivor of the ghetto; and Julie, a former hooker arrested for vagrancy.” 

• maikdeckermaikdecker Posts: 2,750

What? There's really bother about the descriptions that are delivered by DAZ (or some PAs) in flowery words about the personality of their 3d figures? devil

Wonderland said:

I’m not eligible for this contest but think it could be kind of fun. I’d do a scene of a drug dealer ripping open Jada’s shirt to discover a wire underneath. Assuming I could find a wire prop. Maybe that should have been included in the bundle? Probably doable in post though...

I would think that you could do it by creating a texture for a torso geoshell pretty easy. 

• Well, IMO, "African American working undercover with local law enforcement to arrest people in her community" is kind of an interesting pitch these days.

/trying to avoid political commentary, as is the rule on these forums

//also, don't forget rollerskates. That is an integral part of the contest description!

• Robert FreiseRobert Freise Posts: 4,260
    edited May 2021

When do civilians go undercover to bust criminals? 

AKA C I (confidential informant ) generally a criminal working with the cops in order to stay out of jail or get a deal

Post edited by Robert Freise on

Robert Freise said:

Roller-skating undercover civilian infiltrator who busts criminals (but totally isn't a cop).

AKA C I (confidential informant ) generally a criminal working with the cops in order to stay out of jail or get a deal

Sounds like an episode of Charlie's Angels

• benniewoodellbenniewoodell Posts: 1,900

Wonderland said:

I just googled “Mod Squad” and this seems to be what the last few characters were about and Jacqueline even looks a bit like the character Julie and Jada looks like a female version of Linc.

Police Capt. Adam Greer recruits a trio of "hippie cops" with checkered pasts to infiltrate the counterculture and nail the adult criminals preying on clueless young Southern Californians. This "youth squad" is made up of Pete, whose wealthy parents kicked him out of their posh Beverly Hills home; Linc, a survivor of the ghetto; and Julie, a former hooker arrested for vagrancy.” 

There was a remake in, I think, 1999 that had Claire Daines, Omar Epps, and Josh Brolin in it. Pretty good flick. I didn't care for the show but my folks loved it, and, of course, reverse those roles for thoughts on the movie remake lol.