The Newest Evolution Is Here: The Daz Season Pass!

Comments

• CybersoxCybersox Posts: 8,760

Wonderland said:

melissastjames said:

I've been noticing issues like that with a lot of outfits...shaders needing to be tweaked. I'm not afraid of rolling up my sleeves and getting dirty on the surfaces tab, but that should be for customization only. You shouldn't have to spend time fixing something to get it to usable on new items made for Iray. Bringing 3DL shaders to Iray, yes. But new stuff? No. 

I fix or completely alter shaders on 98% of clothing and 100% of skins. (Which is why I don’t buy anything with PBR shaders, I still don’t know how to fix them and don’t feel like learning right now.) I also change all morphs and poses. I look at Daz products as just a starting point, Otherwise it’s just playing with Barbies in the computer and calling it art. Although I have seen actual art of photos taken of Barbie dolls, so there’s that...

I rarely use things as they come "out of the box" with DAZ, but I have to agree that there's no excuse for selling a product that doesn't give a decent result that way.  In general, the drop in quality control of products being produced by DAZ has gone into the toilet, while the aesthetic choices are becoming less and less acceptible.  At this point I've written off the entire 8.1 product line as consistantly flawed from concept to execution, while the new bundle concept is so scattershot and overpriced as to make buying them pointless given that we all everything in them will be offered at a better discount within a few months and free within a year.  Toss in all the recent spates of disappearing artists and/or products on top of the recent cuts in the perks of the PC+ club, and it's really sad to see how far this store has sunk in the last few years.

• CybersoxCybersox Posts: 8,760

Out of curiousity, has anyone actually seen a Gold or Silver Season Pass badge anywhere in the forums?  I don't spend as much time here as I used to, but I don't think I've browsed past anything except Platinums...

• benniewoodellbenniewoodell Posts: 1,902

blaz said:

As do I, and I actually quite enjoy fiddling with shaders. Not so much fixing textures, morphs and geometry.

A good shader can't help this.

Dang, thanks for letting us know. I actually was really excited for this car and I usually change shaders as well, but if it's not even fixable that way, meh. I forgot to buy the bundle yesterday anyways and today the discount for having previous male bundles is gone and the price went up to 29 and some change, so I figured why spend that much on the bundle with all these problems I'm seeing when I can snag the new Samarah Shadow Rogue Outfit for Genesis 8.1 Females from today (which looks amazing and Val3DArt and 3D Sugar are always top notch, and it'll work perfectly with the new Valhalla set from Kitbash 3D) along with three items I've been wanting for awhile for pretty much the same price. Guess it was a good thing my memory slipped yesterday. 

• The Blurst of TimesThe Blurst of Times Posts: 2,410
    edited May 2021

Yeah, there's some rough spots on the Blue Mamba model, and the default textures have a weird splotchy thing going (and not even due to Metallic Flake layer). Kind of uneven, overall.

It's a nice shape, but it's not the highest polygon car model that I have in my library. Good for shots where the car isn't the main feature, I guess.

It does render really fast.

BM.jpg
    1390 x 1112 - 332K
    Post edited by The Blurst of Times on
  • blazblaz Posts: 261

benniewoodell said:

blaz said:

As do I, and I actually quite enjoy fiddling with shaders. Not so much fixing textures, morphs and geometry.

A good shader can't help this.

Dang, thanks for letting us know. I actually was really excited for this car and I usually change shaders as well, but if it's not even fixable that way, meh. I forgot to buy the bundle yesterday anyways and today the discount for having previous male bundles is gone and the price went up to 29 and some change, so I figured why spend that much on the bundle with all these problems I'm seeing when I can snag the new Samarah Shadow Rogue Outfit for Genesis 8.1 Females from today (which looks amazing and Val3DArt and 3D Sugar are always top notch, and it'll work perfectly with the new Valhalla set from Kitbash 3D) along with three items I've been wanting for awhile for pretty much the same price. Guess it was a good thing my memory slipped yesterday. 

You would need to create some new surfaces if you wanted to use a generic shader, but it's doable. The windshield is a geometry problem, as there is a clipping issue.

• blazblaz Posts: 261
    edited May 2021

Cybersox said:

Out of curiousity, has anyone actually seen a Gold or Silver Season Pass badge anywhere in the forums?  I don't spend as much time here as I used to, but I don't think I've browsed past anything except Platinums...

I saw one Silver badge. Edit: Sorry, I meant gold.

Post edited by blaz on
  • AllenArtAllenArt Posts: 7,140

Cybersox said:

Wonderland said:

melissastjames said:

I've been noticing issues like that with a lot of outfits...shaders needing to be tweaked. I'm not afraid of rolling up my sleeves and getting dirty on the surfaces tab, but that should be for customization only. You shouldn't have to spend time fixing something to get it to usable on new items made for Iray. Bringing 3DL shaders to Iray, yes. But new stuff? No. 

I fix or completely alter shaders on 98% of clothing and 100% of skins. (Which is why I don’t buy anything with PBR shaders, I still don’t know how to fix them and don’t feel like learning right now.) I also change all morphs and poses. I look at Daz products as just a starting point, Otherwise it’s just playing with Barbies in the computer and calling it art. Although I have seen actual art of photos taken of Barbie dolls, so there’s that...

I rarely use things as they come "out of the box" with DAZ, but I have to agree that there's no excuse for selling a product that doesn't give a decent result that way.  In general, the drop in quality control of products being produced by DAZ has gone into the toilet, while the aesthetic choices are becoming less and less acceptible.  At this point I've written off the entire 8.1 product line as consistantly flawed from concept to execution, while the new bundle concept is so scattershot and overpriced as to make buying them pointless given that we all everything in them will be offered at a better discount within a few months and free within a year.  Toss in all the recent spates of disappearing artists and/or products on top of the recent cuts in the perks of the PC+ club, and it's really sad to see how far this store has sunk in the last few years.

My thoughts EXACTLY. I've been at this for more than two decades. Daz was the first name in quality in this hobby. Not anymore. Now it's more like the dregs. 

• Well, I do like the 8.1 face rigging (although disabling all the 8 expressions was kind of lame).

The 8.1 PBR skin shader and UV changes? I like the Detail channel. That is a very good idea.
    Changing the rest of the PBR skin shader makes me a little less enthusiastic, and will take some getting used to.

It's too hard to match skins across multiple artists, let alone the new PBR skin versus the previous Iray skin shader. I'd really rather not have to do that, so if you could just enable the Details channel in the old Iray setup, that would be preferred.

• mr clammr clam Posts: 707
    edited May 2021

Yeah, I'd say that's beyond a texture problem. As for the Gold/Silver passes--I've seen a Gold out in the wild, but no Silver.

Screen Shot 2021-05-06 at 10.05.46 AM.png
    309 x 326 - 129K
    Post edited by mr clam on
  • AllenArtAllenArt Posts: 7,140
    edited May 2021

mr clam said:

Yeah, I'd say that's beyond a texture problem. As for the Gold/Silver passes--I've seen a Gold out in the wild, but no Silver.

How is stuff like this getting thru Q&A?!! More to the point, how is it even MAKING THE CUT? I got my own ideas....

Laurie 

Post edited by AllenArt on
  • The Blurst of TimesThe Blurst of Times Posts: 2,410
    edited May 2021

Yeah, Blue Mamba is kind of a Frankenstein car.

The blower on the hood is smooth and shiny, but then there's obvious rough parts like around the headlamps... versus the headlamp details, the details on the tires. There are good parts and not-so-good parts to the car. (Abby Normal, I think.)

It's reminiscent of Jazz, I guess. A good head on a strangely smooth body.

Post edited by The Blurst of Times on
  • PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 9,453

The Blurst of Times said:

Yeah, Blue Mamba is kind of a Frankenstein car.

The blower on the hood is smooth and shiny, but then there's obvious rough parts like around the headlamps... versus the headlamp details, the details on the tires. There are good parts and not-so-good parts to the car. (Abby Normal, I think.)

It's reminiscent of Jazz, I guess. A good head on a strangely smooth body.

Sharp edges at the sides of the roof etc... Too bad as a good Smokey and the Bandit Trans Am would have really been cool.

• WonderlandWonderland Posts: 6,740

HCybersox said:

Wonderland said:

melissastjames said:

I agree 100%. I had a gut feeling that they would be REMOVING perks from non-Season Pass holders and I was correct. And they STILL haven’t fixed the major issue of Zilpha loading with every single G8F which I believe is a Daz Original! It’s been over 6 months! Most of the issues are actually with DazO products although I’ve had some issues with PA products too including some major PAs with huge catalogs who have been around forever. And since they stopped stacking, the whole “game of shopping” has lost its fun. And DS is sooooo slow now and constantly crashing. The main reason I’m in the forums so much is because I’m waiting for a G8 or a scene to load for 20 minutes...

• MelissaGTMelissaGT Posts: 2,610
    edited May 2021

Wonderland said:

melissastjames said:

I tend to customize everything as well, but my point still stands. If you pay for a product, it should still work out of the box. 

(And the answer to fixing skin on the new PBR Shader is to convert it back to the Uber Shader, haha.)

Post edited by MelissaGT on
  • WolfwoodWolfwood Posts: 675

Cybersox said:

I saw one of each. The silver ones may be harder to spot but a few may have actually got it when it was offered to some people at platinum price (without the freebies).

• Season pass contest winners are up... https://www.daz3d.com/season-pass-2021

Winning render here: https://www.daz3d.com/gallery/categories#image=1143811

Congrats to the winners again.

Hopefully Jazz's unpopularity gives me a better shot in the next one... laugh

• The Blurst of Times said:

Season pass contest winners are up... https://www.daz3d.com/season-pass-2021

Winning render here: https://www.daz3d.com/gallery/categories#image=1143811

Congrats to the winners again.

Hopefully Jazz's unpopularity gives me a better shot in the next one... laugh

Like pulling that handle on the one-armed bandit in Vegas, the odds are whatever the machine is set to. DAZ had this all lined up before the promotion started, so what's coming is what they thought/hoped would please the most season pass buyers. 

• Okays, Jazz contest entry thing done...

• Lothar WeberLothar Weber Posts: 1,611

Still don't understand this. Is it ok to post entries here or in the gallery? Or just via mail? Email? It's Sunday evening here and I'm feeling stupid! wink

• Lothar Weber said:

Still don't understand this. Is it ok to post entries here or in the gallery? Or just via mail? Email? It's Sunday evening here and I'm feeling stupid! wink

LOL... I don't fully understand either. The contest entry needs to be "new", and you need to email it to them.

I submitted a "modified" version of my image to the Gallery AFTER I sent my email so I could share it and do my part in promoting the guy, although that also may be against the rules... I don't really care at this point. (IMO, it's stupid to create a contest where people cannot share their renders on this website. I don't think that's the intent of the rules, but I don't know.)

Re-reading the website, I think I may have messed up my contest email (?!)...
    The requirement seems to change by the week, if not the day.

• SeraSera Posts: 1,675

The Blurst of Times said:

Okays, Jazz contest entry thing done...

I like this one! 

• certaintree38 said:

I like this one! 

Thanks! Trying to keep it fun.
    I still don't know what "low on time and high on crime" means, but I can do stylish and dramatic (and be literal about the theme as well, LOL).

Reminder for everyone in the cool kids club... contest closes on May 11, 11:59 PM (MDT).
    Get your entries in!

• AllenArt said:

mr clam said:

How is stuff like this getting thru Q&A?!! More to the point, how is it even MAKING THE CUT? I got my own ideas....

Laurie 

I just don't like Jazz, so this isn't going to ever be in my inventory anyway, but yikes....

• AZDigitalArtist said:

I just don't like Jazz, so this isn't going to ever be in my inventory anyway, but yikes....

Yeah. The car's general shape leaves a positive impression, but the details are sadly lacking. It's a pretty shape with some nice color patterns, but there are some sadly unfinished feeling parts to it.

There was a little more cohesion to Brooke and Jacqueline, and they feel a lot more finished... where Jazz feels like he could've used another week to develop (the Torso especially), which is why I compared the car to him.

Hopefully they put in a little more time before the next release in this Season Pass thing.

• AdenLKAdenLK Posts: 14
    edited May 2021

My product library already contains Jada 8.1.

Edit: I posted a comment saying that I didn't like Jada, but seeing her better, I realized that she is very nice.

Post edited by AdenLK on
  • HoppittyHoppitty Posts: 466
    edited May 2021

Jada looks like a [Star] to me! 

Jada 1a.jpg
    2000 x 1600 - 4M
    Jada 1b.jpg
    2000 x 1600 - 4M
    Post edited by Hoppitty on
  • LyonessLyoness Posts: 1,610

I just got Jada HD.  Anyone else???

• TorquinoxTorquinox Posts: 2,548

AllenArt said:

mr clam said:

Laurie 

IDK, but there are some problems with the design and modeling on that one.

• JamesJABJamesJAB Posts: 1,760
    edited May 2021

Here's my first render of Jada

Jada001.png
    1500 x 2000 - 3M
    Post edited by JamesJAB on
  • LyonessLyoness Posts: 1,610

alright!  I like her!