My Project: Brash Lonergan adventures - Warning AI Discussion Possible

Comments

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,106

Look forward to the Adventures!!! :)

Diomede said:

Thanks for the encouragement, Bunyip and Dart.  I have decided to go with a comic book / graphic novel approach of sequenced images rather than animations.  I may do a few animations for promo purposes.  I played around with Daz Studio's Line Render 9000.  The advanatage it gives is the ability to adjust the edge sensitivity identification.  Very handy tool and I think Daz Studio folks would do well to explore it.  However, the multipass options, GMIC options, toon and YAToon options in Carrara can generate starting line art, and if I am going to be adjusting it anyway, I'd rather have Carrara's within-scene adjustment tools. 

Ahhh... Line Render 9000!

Never heard of it before blush    Damn Carraraists!

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,026

RE: Line Render 9000 and Studio.  Few people know that Studio has a line renderer built in the 3Delight render engine.  However, the default is clunky and hard to deal with.  The Line Render 9000 is a plugin script the author came up with to give more control to the user to identify lines.  For example, you can assign an ID by material zone, or by object, or by...   And you can adjust the sensitivity of the program to differences in color to draw a line somewhere, or not.  So, that part is good.  However, it is built into 3Delight, and Daz is moving content development to Filament and IRay.  Not insurmountable, but just another example of the tradeoffs.  

My familiarity with the tools will keep me with the Carrara mutlipasses and toon filters for a lot of stuff.

Well, we can't blame Daz for going Iray and Filament. It was either introduce these things or watch the crowd move on. It's sweet of them to leave 3Delight in for folks that don't feel like following the pack - at least not yet.

I doubt that I'll ever prefer the modern PBR over our ray tracer. I just like how it does what I want it to.

Curious, have you played around with DCG's Toon Pro?

I haven't yet. 

It was just the other day when I needed to make an animation of some soldiers moving through the facility - and it was for a security screen. So I tried DCG's Wireframe Pro for the first time. Minutes (minutes!!!) later, I had four separate renders that were exactly what I was looking for - and here I thought that it would be difficult to use!!!

So I'd like to try Toon Pro and see if that has the same ease-of-use.

edited May 2021

No blame or praise for Daz3D going Iray or Filament for Studio.  Just pointing out that Studio has a useful feature for people who want line art, but that it is tied to 3Delight.  Daz3D is de-emphasizing 3Delight, yet is not updating the feature (so far) to work with the render engines it is promoting.  Many of the new products the Daz store is curently selling do not come with 3Delight optimized shaders.  They can be converted.

Just the way it is.  No speech by me that the younger generation should get off my lawn, or that defense wins championships, or shaking my fist at a cloud.  Just a heads up.  If a person is interested in using 3D rendering programs to aid in comics development, consider Studio because Studio has a potentially useful tool that can be calibrated more finely than Carrara's multi-passes.  But, Daz does not seem interested in updating the tool for the render engines it is currently emphasizing, or making sure new products have shaders optimized for use with the tool (and optimization is relevant if the purported advantage is the ability to finely tune line detection). 

Given those trade-offs, I still find a lot of value in Carrara.  For example, the vertex modeler in the Assemble room crushes Studio's 'meshgrabber' plugin. Another example, Carrara has many more multi-pass optons than just outlines and toon filters.  Others more familiar with Studio's tools will evaluate the trade-off differently. 

Post edited by Diomede on

Yes, I have looked at DCG's Toon Pro.  Very cool.  I intend to use it a lot when using Carrara.  For example, it has a checkbox to draw lines at shader domain boundaries.  Pretty cool way to draw tight gloves in Carrara. just select the hands up the wrist and create a new shader domain.  Linerender combined with Studio's geometry editor could do the same thing, but with more Linerender options.

Here is a DCG Toon Pro line render in Carrara using default settings on a couple of objects from the browser.

ee01 toon pro base render.jpg
    640 x 480 - 23K
  • Bunyip02Bunyip02 Posts: 7,530
    edited May 2021

Dragon ToonPro

Dragon Fork Tail 10 ToonPro.png
    1600 x 1200 - 2M
    Post edited by Bunyip02 on

Great, thanks for illustrating

Oh, right! I knew you weren't bashing anyone, Doimede! LOL I just ramble!

Wow. Very cool tip on the domains thing! Bunyip, cool Dragon render! I really like the objects example too, that Diomede shows!

Thanks, Dart

edited June 2021
    01 Challenge Graphic Novel.jpg
    1563 x 740 - 271K
    edited June 2021

And this is the description that I wrote accompanying my entry.

1. Entry #5
    2. Title: Brash Lonergan: Interstellar Marshall
    3. Artist: Diomede
    4. Links to any WIP posts in the WIP thread     

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/834135/#Comment_834135

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/834172/#Comment_834172

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/838116/#Comment_838116

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/855583/#Comment_855583

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/860276/#Comment_860276

5. Any items you made or modified yourself: Figures and props are all original objects made in Carrara's vertex modeler
    6. Pre-made Content Used: None
    7. Are you new to Carrara? (optional): No
    8. Any additional comments or notes you want to add. (optional):  Inspired by so many old time comics, serials, TV series, and feature length films.  Special tribute to Flash Gordon, Buck Rogers, The Lone Ranger, Crash Corrigan, Captain Cody, and especially Rocky Jones the Space Ranger.  Postwork (assembling renders, adding text and framing panels) in Photoshop Elements 11.

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,921

Diomede said:

Here is a DCG Toon Pro line render in Carrara using default settings on a couple of objects from the browser.

Very interesting discussion! 

Heres carrara native i think as the over layed animation. https://m.facebook.com/story/graphql_permalink/?graphql_id=UzpfSTE1MjQwNDE3NTk6MTAyMjM1ODg1MTY3NzA3MDQ%3D

have you tried material diffuse pass? Has less relaistic  effects you could combine in post.

HW - Wow, that overlayed animation is amazing. 

Thanks for the tip, Carrara has a lot of options for multipasses, filters, and npr to get lines, etc.  Carrara is great.

edited June 2021

Dartanbeck said:

Diomede said:

Thanks for the encouragement, Bunyip and Dart.  I have decided to go with a comic book / graphic novel approach of sequenced images rather than animations.  I may do a few animations for promo purposes.  I played around with Daz Studio's Line Render 9000.  The advanatage it gives is the ability to adjust the edge sensitivity identification.  Very handy tool and I think Daz Studio folks would do well to explore it.  However, the multipass options, GMIC options, toon and YAToon options in Carrara can generate starting line art, and if I am going to be adjusting it anyway, I'd rather have Carrara's within-scene adjustment tools. 

Ahhh... Line Render 9000!

Never heard of it before blush    Damn Carraraists!

Note - it is NOT necessary to purchase any plugin for Studio.  LineRender is just a plugin that provides menus and other enhancements to a feature that already exists in Studio's 3Delight render options.  Getting lines from Studio can be comepletely free using its existing tools, if clunky.  You have to change the render option to 'scripted 3delight' not 3delight.   No one would ever know just from using Studio.  Even if you do know, the relevant output is sent to a folder you don't know about, the render you do see in the default viewport isn't what you are looking for, and you would assume it wasn't working. LineRender is nice but unnecessary.  See this video from about the 3:00 minute to 7:40 portion.  

edited June 2021

But I still prefer Carrara, as per these entries from the comic challenge (monthly #53 )

Diomede said:

HW - Wow, that overlayed animation is amazing. 

Thanks for the tip, Carrara has a lot of options for multipasses, filters, and npr to get lines, etc.  Carrara is great.

thanks it was fun :)

Diomede - Wow! I love that Brash Lonergan episode! Very nicely done!

I do remember this last one, but the Brash one (challenge) must have taken place during my 'absent' period, I'm thinking.

HeadWax - That animation is fantastic! Bravo!

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,757

Diomede said:

And this is the description that I wrote accompanying my entry.

1. Entry #5
    2. Title: Brash Lonergan: Interstellar Marshall
    3. Artist: Diomede
    4. Links to any WIP posts in the WIP thread     

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/834135/#Comment_834135

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/834172/#Comment_834172

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/838116/#Comment_838116

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/855583/#Comment_855583

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/860276/#Comment_860276

5. Any items you made or modified yourself: Figures and props are all original objects made in Carrara's vertex modeler
    6. Pre-made Content Used: None
    7. Are you new to Carrara? (optional): No
    8. Any additional comments or notes you want to add. (optional):  Inspired by so many old time comics, serials, TV series, and feature length films.  Special tribute to Flash Gordon, Buck Rogers, The Lone Ranger, Crash Corrigan, Captain Cody, and especially Rocky Jones the Space Ranger.  Postwork (assembling renders, adding text and framing panels) in Photoshop Elements 11.

got me hooked.. waiting for the next render

though I did misread the title as 'Siriusian Clam Jumpers' which got to modelling a clam like UFO!

Dartanbeck said:

Diomede - Wow! I love that Brash Lonergan episode! Very nicely done!

I do remember this last one, but the Brash one (challenge) must have taken place during my 'absent' period, I'm thinking.

HeadWax - That animation is fantastic! Bravo!

thanks Dart :)

Diomede, double what Stezza saideth

Thank you, Dart, Stezza and Headwax for the kind comments.

No updates since June of 2021?  Ugh.

Well, Brash decided to go to the Mixamo dance club.

Brash's T-Pose fits nicely in Mixamo's standard form and so the stock animaitons apply pretty well.  Unfortunately, nothing is ever simple.  Have to jump through a few hoops to get the Mixamo animations exported in a format that Carrara interprets correctly.  Still, nice to do an update after so long.

brash dancing 2.jpg
    611 x 671 - 45K
    brash dancing.jpg
    501 x 664 - 40K
  • you travel too much cheeky

You need less of a life so you can do more Carrara kiss

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,757

The travelling Ted Wilbury smiley

• Bunyip02Bunyip02 Posts: 7,530

Glad you got Brash moving again !!!

Yay Brash go!! Go :)

Thanks for the nice comments.

edited December 2022

Poor Brash and Moxie have been pushed to the side by my short attention span.  Brash did make a recent appearance in an Alpine Pasture HDRI to illustrate splotchy lighting.  

HDRI? For Brash? For Shame! Brash should get The Spot Light!!! cool