Carrara Challenge #18: Graphic Novel - WIP Thread NOW OPEN

MarkIsSleepyMarkIsSleepy Posts: 1,496
edited December 1969 in Carrara Discussion

This month's Carrara Challenge is to show us glimpse into a graphic novel of your own creation! Don't know what a graphic novel is? See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Graphic_novel

For this Challenge, create any one of the following:
1. A cover image that makes us want to buy your imaginary graphic novel
2. A full page scene or splash page (a splash page is an image that covers two opposing pages, usually an action scene)
3. A multi-panel scene showing us an exciting or intriguing bit of your story
4. An "iconic" image that tells us everything we need to know about your main character in one picture

Your creation can be any genre or style you wish but be prepared to tell us a little bit about the story behind it. You don't have to spend much time or effort on the backstory if you don't want to but you should have some idea who the characters are and what the setting is.

Things you might want to play with (all of these are totally optional) to help sell the style:
* Dialogue/thought balloons
* Different panel layouts
* Non-photorealistic rendering
* Comic Book type filters for your post-processing program of pchoice (e.g. GIMP, Photoshop, FilterForge, etc.)
* Speed/focus lines (especially if you are going for a manga style)
* Simple, dramatic lighting
* Limited color palettes
* Try creating a short animation, rendering out a couple key points in it and using them as separate panels for your entry

Useful or possibly inspiring links:
Free Comic Book Fonts http://www.dafont.com/search.php?q=comic
Create Free Comic Book Layouts http://comicbookpaper.com/
Complementary Color Picker https://color.adobe.com/
Comic Book Art Examples http://comicartcommunity.com/gallery/

Basic Rules
1. Each participant may submit up to 2 images into the Challenge.
2. Images must be new (previously unpublished).
3. Images must be primarily set up in Carrara.
4. Images must be rendered in Carrara or in an external renderer for which there is a Carrara plug-in (e.g. LuxRenderer, Octane)
5. At least one WIP (work in progress) image must be posted to the WIP thread (this can be as simple as the scene setup, a pre/post post-work comparison or just a final image with a brief description of the process you used or as complex as modeling rooms shots, shader setups or partial scene setups or test renders)

Thank you to our generous sponsor DAZ 3D for offering the following awards to the winners:
1st Place: $100.00 towards DAZ 3D owned item(s)
2nd Place: $50.00 towards DAZ 3D owned item(s)
3rd Place: $25.00 towards DAZ 3D owned item(s)
Best Entry By A New Carrara User: $10.00 towards DAZ 3D owned item(s)

Dates to Remember
WIP Thread Opens: Saturday, 06 June 2015
Entry Thread Opens: Saturday, 11 July 2015
Entry Thread Closes/Voting Begins: Saturday, 18 July 2015 23:59:59 CST (GMT-6)
Voting Ends: Saturday, 25 July 2015 23:59:59 CST (GMT-6)

Comments

• MarkIsSleepyMarkIsSleepy Posts: 1,496
    edited June 2015

Expanded Rules/FAQ
    I'l try to clarify rules and collect the answers to any questions about the challenge in this post so people new to the thread can find it easily.

Content Use
    Use of any and all content is allowed.
    Used content should be credited in the Entry Thread.
    Participants are encouraged to create or modify content, but it is not required.

Post-work
    Post-work is allowed and welcome.
    Entrants are encouraged, but not required, to explain their post-work in the WIP thread so that others can learn from it.
    At least a brief description of post-work done should be included with the final entry in the Entry Thread.

Winners
    The winner of the Challenge gets to pick the theme for the next Challenge and to make changes to the rules if they wish.
    The winner of the Challenge will be the host for the next Challenge, but they may pass the hosting duties to any of the other winners if both
    agree, or to any other member of the forum if none of the winners is able or willing to host the next Challenge.

Post edited by MarkIsSleepy on
  • MarkIsSleepyMarkIsSleepy Posts: 1,496
    edited June 2015

Just a couple quick examples :)

Nothing about these formats is required - I just used some standard comic templates for fun.

GraphicNovelChallenge_SampleExample.jpg
    1281 x 2000 - 359K
    GraphicNovelChallenge_SampleCover.jpg
    1281 x 2000 - 727K
    Post edited by MarkIsSleepy on
  • DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,081
    edited December 1969

I like the idea of a sequential art challenge.

I will customize a new low poly character or two. Here is the start of a space hero. First, I used the vertex modeler to outline a human with roughly the correct proportions. The face and hands have extra polygons so that I can add detail like fingernails and facial features later if I think it will matter.

The figure has not been rigged yet (which I will do natively in Carrara).

For the uniform coat, boots, helmet, eyebrows, and mustache, I selected regions of the low poly figure, copied, inserted a new vertex object, and then pasted. I then edited the result as desired for the final object which fits the low poly character nicely. The buttons, medals, and shoulder pieces are just primitives.

I have attached a screengrab of the figure in the assemble room, along with
    - non-photorealistic render set to only outline mode
    - photo-realistic render with default Toon III settings.

3_cartoon_tpose.jpg
    800 x 1067 - 35K
    2_nonphoto_tpose.jpg
    800 x 1067 - 41K
    1_mannequin_assemble_room_2848_vetrexes.JPG
    1858 x 992 - 177K
    edited June 2015

Still just playing around.

So I took the arm of the low poly guy and created a new figure for it. I just opened the low poly guy in the vertex modeler, highlighted the right forearm and hand, and copied. I the opened a new scene, inserted a vertex object, and pasted the arm. I then added some bones and saved to the object browser.

I'll create more of an instrument board, but you can see the idea starting to come together. The first panel in the upper right of the page will be of the pilot about to press the eject button, which will initiate the story on the rest of the page.

- Panel 1 (upper left), a hand about to press the eject button
    - Panel 2 (upper right), a face under stress speaking - text box with some line informing radio that has the McGuffin
    - Panel 3 (middle across whole page), spaceship crashing but pilot ejecting just in time
    - Panel 4 (lower left), parachute landing alien jungle or badlands?
    - Panel 5 (lower right), pilot crouching over pack checking on McGuffin with aliens lurking behind trees/rocks

EDIT::::
    Will make more sense if the pilot speaks on the radio BEFORE pressing eject button. ;-)

z3_eject.jpg
    840 x 630 - 18K
    Z1_eject_button.jpg
    840 x 630 - 20K
    z2_eject_button.JPG
    1494 x 931 - 91K
    Post edited by Diomede on
  • Bunyip02Bunyip02 Posts: 7,701
    edited December 1969

Diomede

I'm still thinking and you are doing 90 mph down the road !!!!!!!
    Looking good so far.

Everyone looking for post production there is FotoSketcher which is free, well worth checking out.
    http://www.fotosketcher.com/

Regards, Bunyip

edited December 1969

Dragons Breath WIP-1
    An Alliance between Orcs & Dragons to combat a mercenary invasion by Mankind ........

Dragons_Breath_WIP-1.png
    1356 x 767 - 579K
    edited December 1969

It might seem like I am going 90 mph, but you are ahead of me already, Bunyip. Looking good.

Another useful link provides "22 panels that always work" by the iconic Wally Wood.

http://illustratinggraphicnovel.blogspot.com/2015/01/22-panels-that-always-work-by-wally-wood.html

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,040
    edited December 1969

Cool stuff so far!

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,225
    edited December 1969

Cool stuff so far!
    Agreed 100%, and love the challenge theme. Bravo.
    It can be difficult to come up with a good theme when it's your turn and the pressure's on.
  • sukyLsukyL Posts: 251
    edited December 1969

MDO2010: I'm so happy you went with the graphic novel theme. Love it! I already have mine done...in my head ;-)

Looking good all!

• FenricFenric Posts: 351
    edited December 1969

Wow...

Ok, I might just have to do this. I have an idea for my next storyline once the current one wraps up...

• JonstarkJonstark Posts: 2,738
    edited December 1969

This is going to be a great theme; I can feel it. I already have a decent idea too... :)

edited December 1969

Bunyip02 said:
    Dragons Breath WIP-1
    An Alliance between Orcs & Dragons to combat a mercenary invasion by Mankind ........

Tidied up in Carrara, then render sent to FotoSketcher for a pencil look, followed by PSP for Title and text.
    Might add a few more details yet, but am happy how this one fell into place.
    Hope everyone else has their ideas fall into place as well.

Dragons_Breath_Cover_x1250.jpg
    1250 x 1337 - 557K
  • DADA_universeDADA_universe Posts: 336
    edited December 1969

Nice work there Bunyip02! Nifty tool that Fotosketcher.

• Philemo_CarraraPhilemo_Carrara Posts: 1,175
    edited December 1969

I love the idea.

Not an entry nor a WIP, just something I did 5 years ago when I discovered Carrara.
    I gave up because I couldn't come up with a decent scenario :-(, but I really enjoyed the learning curve.

I'll give it another try. Count me in for this challenge.

p3.png
    600 x 849 - 494K
    p2.png
    600 x 849 - 600K
    p1.png
    600 x 849 - 550K
    edited December 1969

From another challenge,
    Follow the WIP links form that post for having a B&W, engraving like, render

• JonstarkJonstark Posts: 2,738
    edited December 1969

Philemo said:
    I love the idea.

Not an entry nor a WIP, just something I did 5 years ago when I discovered Carrara.
    I gave up because I couldn't come up with a decent scenario :-(, but I really enjoyed the learning curve.

I'll give it another try. Count me in for this challenge.

That looks very good Philemo! But my French is awful, so I have no idea what they're saying... :)

edited December 1969

Jonstark said:

That looks very good Philemo! But my French is awful, so I have no idea what they're saying... :)

First page explains that a world suffered apocalypse, but that life ended up winning again.
    Second page says that was was left of civilization fled in starships, leaving only an outpost in a protected place.
    Third page shows android manning a surveillance centre spotting an incoming starship and reporting to a human officer.

The idea was to have a mix team of city bred humans and android making a long travel, first in a plane, later on foot, seeking the starship landing point, encountering several more or less primitives human civilizations on the way.

edited December 1969

Bunyip02 said:
    Bunyip02 said:
    Dragons Breath WIP-1

Tidied up in Carrara, then render sent to FotoSketcher for a pencil look, followed by PSP for Title and text.
    Might add a few more details yet, but am happy how this one fell into place.
    Hope everyone else has their ideas fall into place as well.

Nice image. I think that the lettering could stand out a bit better though. Remember that many times in comic books and graphic novels they will place text in a box, especially if the image is very busy.

Here's an example I did a couple years ago.

Jungle-Encounter-comic-redu.jpg
    1950 x 1463 - 2M
  • shlomi laszloshlomi laszlo Posts: 250
    edited December 1969

when i use pd howler filter\artistic\brush strokes\brush
    for an image bigger then screen it only do a part of the image.
    can anyone help?

so for now i use gimp filter\artistic\GIMPressionist

in carrara i make 2 toon III renders:
    1. with out outline
    2. with outline as white and the rest in black.

i select the background of 2 and fill black
    do some color and blur thins
    and color invert

the new 2 will the top layer with multiply.

few copies of 1 will get GIMPressionist bellow.
    with darken only or something.

the scene i use is just the foreground with out fancy lightning yet.

edited December 1969

file was too big for something called PHP configuration file.
    how to get past it?

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

under 2mb lmaximum 2000 x 2000 in size. JPG, PNG, or GIF format

edited June 2015

chohole said:
    under 2mb lmaximum 2000 x 2000 in size. JPG, PNG, or GIF format

I had that error as well. I met the specs for the file size. I think there's something else going on. I upload lots of images and I had a problem with the dimensions even though I reduced them to under 2000 X 2000 and optimized the jpg for a lower file size. Eventually it uploaded, but I had to reduce the image dimensions to something like 1950.

The wording on the error message also seemed a bit different from what I've seen when on those rare occasions I try and upload a larger version of a render that I have accidentally selected.

Edited to add: I just noticed you mentioned under 2MB. Has this changed recently? Note my screen cap. This is the amount I have seen in the past and it seemed to hold true as I have tested the limits. ;-) BTW, I just took this screen cap. If it has changed, they need to update this.

Picture_2.png
    189 x 95 - 5K
    Post edited by evilproducer on
    edited December 1969

Nice work there Bunyip02! Nifty tool that Fotosketcher.

Thanks Dada, FotoSketcher is a great tool, and when you cross some of it's effects with the effects that you can get out of other software then the imagination of whats possible is the limit. It's also got a very nice price of free which is hard to beat.

Regards, Bunyip

edited December 1969

Nice image. I think that the lettering could stand out a bit better though. Remember that many times in comic books and graphic novels they will place text in a box, especially if the image is very busy.

Thanks EP

I have redone the text with a black outline instead of white plus I also airbrushed with a light grey colour behind the text in PSP.
    I then adjusted the transparency of the airbrushed areas to 50% so that it helps highlight the text but also still blends with the background.

Great seeing some of the early work people have already done, should be an excellent challenge if everyone gets involved.
    Will have to consider a 2nd entry, did a bit with lighting that I have not used before in the Dragons Breath setup.

Regards, Bunyip

edited December 1969

a smaller resampled image.

tartarus1_maze_combine_small.jpg
    1900 x 1425 - 684K
  • HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,924
    edited December 1969

well Iocked myself out of my painting studio but luckily my laptop battery is charged...

my concept ....

K4 wakes up. On his bedroom window sill is an ominous omen. A dead rat.

He throws it in the bin and heads off to the bakery.

On the way he walks past the newsagent

He stops, gob smacked, There on the tabloid headlines he sees a photo of himself and the news that
    he is now a 'legacy figure'.

But he's not going to stand for that, is he? He remembers one of the last things he bought in the Daz store was a suit of armour....

To be continued....

• VarselVarsel Posts: 574
    edited December 1969

I have started experimenting with YAToon .

This the first sketch of one of the characters in my Novel.
    It is the custom officer.

officer.jpg
    600 x 800 - 180K
    edited December 1969

Here is another major part of my story...
    This is WIP. A lot of modelling to do ...
    And its not YATooned yet.

TraderShip.jpg
    800 x 600 - 89K
    edited December 1969

And every story needs a hero .. :cheese:

Hero.jpg
    600 x 800 - 282K