[Released] Gescon, CSG plugin for Daz Studio [commercial]

AlbertoAlberto Posts: 1,382

Gescon is a constructive, solid geometry tool that allows you to create new solid objects from existing ones. You can use any closed-mesh object (a solid), including primitives, to obtain more complex solids by means of union, intersection, and difference operations. Plus, you can fracture any solid object!

The plugin can reproduce the original UV maps, thus you can use the older textures. Or, if you prefer, it can create a new UV map by projecting the geometry on a sphere, cylinder, cube, or plane.

Gescon uses OpenVDB, the Academy Award-winning library.

Compatible with Windows 64 bits and MacOS 64 bits.

https://www.daz3d.com/gescon-constructive-solid-geometry-for-daz-studio

Post edited by Alberto on

Comments

• Lothar WeberLothar Weber Posts: 1,611

THAT looks promising!!!

• CybersoxCybersox Posts: 8,757

The fracture feature alone makes it a must buy.  :)

• AnEye4ArtAnEye4Art Posts: 702

Can all the fragments be seperated to create a pile of, for example, rocks?

• All right, I saw the union, intersection and difference features and thought "uh, this looks cool." Then I saw the fracture. Oh God, you can't even imagine how much I want this--and the cut cake? Yes. So much yes.

• AscaniaAscania Posts: 1,838

I've been noticing the rather "jittery" edges of the cuts. I there an option to clean that up and make it smoother?

• HylasHylas Posts: 4,767

OMG cool

• AlbertoAlberto Posts: 1,382
    edited May 2021

Ascania said:

I've been noticing the rather "jittery" edges of the cuts. I there an option to clean that up and make it smoother?

By increasing the precision

By the way, the fragments of fracture have three surfaces: internal, external and border. You can apply a different shader to each of them.

AnEye4Art said:

Can all the fragments be seperated to create a pile of, for example, rocks?

Yes, you can manually separate them.

• GoggerGogger Posts: 2,303

Yes Please.

Is it here yet?

How 'bout now?

• WolfwoodWolfwood Posts: 675

Hylas said:

OMG cool

+1 

GET READY TO CRUMBLEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!

• JOdelJOdel Posts: 6,250

Yes. Definitely. With one caveat:

Is this for Windows only? Or will it run on a Mac (Intel Mac, that is, I know about the problem with the new chips).

JOdel said:

Yes. Definitely. With one caveat:

Is this for Windows only? Or will it run on a Mac (Intel Mac, that is, I know about the problem with the new chips).

For both, Windows and Mac.

• JOdelJOdel Posts: 6,250

Ah. Excellent.

• SimonJMSimonJM Posts: 5,945

Gosh!

Can anyone else view the above video at: 

I get "This is a private video. Please sign in to verify that you may see it." when I try to watch it.

• AscaniaAscania Posts: 1,838

Alberto said:

Ascania said:

By the way, the fragments of fracture have three surfaces: internal, external and border. You can apply a different shader to each of them.

Cheers. I guess that is not adaptive but will result in an overall heavier mesh?

edited May 2021

AnEye4Art said:

Can anyone else view the above video at: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kdZnvwlRyiQ

I get "This is a private video. Please sign in to verify that you may see it." when I try to watch it. 

Fixed!

Thank you! 

Ascania said:

Alberto said:

Ascania said:

Cheers. I guess that is not adaptive but will result in an overall heavier mesh?

Yes, but there is an adaptive meshing option. 

• CybersoxCybersox Posts: 8,757

On behalf of those of us who've been avoiding the latest version of DAZ Studio, what's the earliest version of DS that this will work with? 

This an example. Using a ball (https://www.daz3d.com/rock-it-bedroom-furniture) and a cylinder 

Using the adaptivity meshing to reduce the polygon count.

And this is how it manages the UV maps:

popup_02.jpg
    1000 x 1300 - 230K
    popup_03.jpg
    1000 x 1300 - 218K
    popup_04.jpg
    1000 x 1300 - 158K
  • HavosHavos Posts: 5,305

Add me as another one that thinks this looks really cool. It will mean we can now easily knock holes in walls and add doors to them, particularly for those many rooms on sale on this site that seem to come with either no doors, or none that will open.

• gitika1gitika1 Posts: 948

Cybersox said:

On behalf of those of us who've been avoiding the latest version of DAZ Studio, what's the earliest version of DS that this will work with? 

+1

Cybersox said:

Besides Daz Studio 4.15, the plugin works fine in the 4.14. I tested it in 4.10, either.

As the plugin uses the Daz Studio SDK 4.5, it should be working with even older versions.(maybe some older versions than 4.14 will need to install the Visual C++ Redistributable for Visual Studio 2015 64 bits, but nothing more)

• Could this be used to make geografts or is the resulting geometry too different to make it workable? Sorry if the question doesn't make much sense, it was just a brainwave, but the results could be really cool.

Uthgard said:

Could this be used to make geografts or is the resulting geometry too different to make it workable? Sorry if the question doesn't make much sense, it was just a brainwave, but the results could be really cool.

The resulting geometry is unrelated to the original one. 

• HylasHylas Posts: 4,767
    edited May 2021

Do both objects need to be closed mesh?

I'm hoping I can use this to cut parts off hairs, eg when wearing a hat. Most hairs are not closed though, I think.

Post edited by Hylas on

Hylas said:

Do both objects need to be closed mesh?

I'm hoping I can use this to cut parts off hairs, eg when wearing a hat. Most hairs are not closed though, I think.

Yes, they need to be closed mesh because, by definition, CSG works with solids, so their geometry should be closed  and bounded.

However, the plugin can accept with some open-mesh things. Notice the Toulouse Hair in the Victoria's statue in the first post. But the plugin solidified it. 

These are more examples of the use of difference and union operations.

Here, Ollie 8 and a door .

The operation is the difference, reconstructing the original UV map

There are the same objects, but using a union operation and discarding the original UV map. A shader was applied.

door.jpg
    406 x 638 - 45K
    engraved_0.jpg
    1300 x 1000 - 108K
    engraved 1.jpg
    1000 x 1300 - 396K
    engraved_w.jpg
    536 x 708 - 88K
    high relief 1.jpg
    1000 x 1300 - 1M
    high relief 2.jpg
    1000 x 1300 - 280K
    high relief w.jpg
    718 x 457 - 106K
  • SorelSorel Posts: 1,390
    edited May 2021

This looks fantastic.

I should also ask, can the fracturing be animated or nah? 

Post edited by Sorel on