Post Your Renders - Happy New Year yall

Comments

• kakmankakman Posts: 225
    edited August 2014

These are some images that I used for my little travel Blu-Ray disc for a recent trip to Pittsburgh.

While there we saw the Giants play the Pirates, went to the History Museum, the National Aviary and found a great Tiki bar. These are represented in the Menu background image.

The “Tavern” image was used as the background for the dining credits.

The “Moon” image was used for the finale of the credits sequence.

Pittsburgh_2014_Main_Menu_V2.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 1M
    Pittsburgh_2014_-_Tavern_Dining.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 2M
    Pittsburgh_2014_-_Moon_Gaze.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 613K
    Post edited by kakman on
    edited December 1969

arcady said:

EDIT: redid the lighting.

The change in lighting really improves the image.

Now all the figures really "pop".

Great Stuff!

• bighbigh Posts: 8,147
    edited December 1969

kakman said:
    These are some images that I used for my little travel Blu-Ray disc for a recent trip to Pittsburgh.

While there we saw the Giants play the Pirates, went to the History Museum, the National Aviary and found a great Tiki bar. These are represented in the Menu background image.

The “Tavern” image was used as the background for the dining credits.

The “Moon” image was used for the finale of the credits sequence.

nice job

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,040
    edited December 1969

Sorry I haven't posted much to this thread yet. I've been kind of busy hosting the Carrara monthly challenge. There is some stellar work that has been posted so far.

Speaking of the challenge, submission for the challenge close later tonight, and voting opens. Go on over and look at the work, and check out the WIPs if you want. Feel free to ask questions and comment in the WIP thread. When voting begins, feel free to comment when you vote.

There are so many creative voices in the Carrara community and who also post works to this thread, that I would encourage you to participate in the next challenge. The winner of the current challenge decides what the next challenge is about.

Heck, if you have the time, you may even be able to squeak in a render and couple WIPs before it closes!

Submission thread:
    http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/44589/

WIP thread:
    http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/44033/

edited December 1969

bigh said:

nice job

Thank you very much.

• Design AcrobatDesign Acrobat Posts: 459
    edited August 2014

W.I.P.

Koncept Kar - DC Electric, multi-phase, eat your lunch, 0-60mph in 2.8 seconds

Sculpt design 3DCoat 4.1
    Carrara Go-Z "ZRemesher" for topology refinements in Zbrush 4r6
    Carrara 8.5 - Shaders, fine detail modeling, working out of shading domains, tire modeling, lighting

edit : 0 to 60 mph makes more sense than 0 to 60 mpg :)

wip_koncept_kar.jpg
    1024 x 768 - 113K
    Post edited by Design Acrobat on
  • arcadyarcady Posts: 340
    edited December 1969

Koncept Kar - DC Electric, multi-phase, eat your lunch, 0-60mpg in 2.8 seconds

I want to call that the "booty car"... :P

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,210
    edited December 1969

W.I.P.

Sculpt design 3DCoat 4.1
    Carrara Go-Z "ZRemesher" for topology refinements in Zbrush 4r6
    Carrara 8.5 - Shaders, fine detail modeling, working out of shading domains, tire modeling, lighting

Very Cool, DA!
  • Design AcrobatDesign Acrobat Posts: 459
    edited August 2014

arcady said:

I want to call that the "booty car"... :P

Yes, there are some anthropomorphic similarities to... :)

Very Cool, DA!

Thanks Dart

Post edited by Design Acrobat on
    edited December 1969

My latest, and why I was looking to figure out grass:

I had to render this in 2 parts because at the bottom left I had a telephone pole, and when the render finally got to that point I discovered the pole that had shown up well in all my test renders - was a mess at high resolution. It was a pole moved there from the Urban Sprawl screen and now I know why stonemason is retiring that scene. The wire was really a flat panel with black lines painted onto it - ok from a distance but limiting for closeups.

The jogging woman is Xaio Mei - and I've found her texture is not actually seamless. You won't notice it in Daz's rendering engine, but in Carrara's you get a seam at midway up the thigh where the torso texture meets the limbs texture. Replicating everything in the two shaders but then using each's different texture map does not solve it.
    - In this image it mostly fades away as she is not in foreground. But it means I cannot use that texture in any closeup work in Carrara.

Roadway_2000.png
    2000 x 1250 - 4M
  • JonstarkJonstark Posts: 2,738
    edited December 1969

arcady said:

The jogging woman is Xaio Mei - and I've found her texture is not actually seamless. You won't notice it in Daz's rendering engine, but in Carrara's you get a seam at midway up the thigh where the torso texture meets the limbs texture. Replicating everything in the two shaders but then using each's different texture map does not solve it.
    - In this image it mostly fades away as she is not in foreground. But it means I cannot use that texture in any closeup work in Carrara.

Arcady, this may help. One of the issues with 8.5 is that it seems to use fast mip-mapping as a default for texture filtering (in the texture map for the color channel). Switch that from fast mip mapping to sampling and that clears up the seams problem (unless it's caused by something different). Fenric has a plugin http://carraracafe.com/news/advanced-shader-tweaker-plugin-by-fenric/ which will automatically switch all the default fast mip-mapping to sampling. When 8.5 was first released, this was something many of us made a ruckus about, because it seems a foolish way to set it as a default, but as of yet DAZ still hasn't changed this default from mip map to sampling (which is what they should do). Hope it helps :)

Very nice render, btw.

edited December 1969

Oh thanks on that - I would have never realized the fast mip mapping could be behind a seam. I just figured a bad texture. That will be very handy because my plan was two renders and the other is a camera angle with more of the figures up close. I was worried I was going to have to ditch that plan - but I'll try it with new mapping and see what I can get.

This project was mostly about learning to mess with the replicator and try and build a scene where I controlled where things showed up - on that score I'm happy with my results. I did have some issues a few times with trees appearing above the ground on the hill-side and had to redo the distribution to catch that. Next time I might create a duplicate of the terrain, placed just under it, and stick the trees to that instead.

edited December 1969

The objects are positioned on the surface according to the replicated object's hot point. Plant hot points are usually on the very bottom, so if they're on a hillside, it can look like they're not on the surface. To fix this, select the tree, and press Caps Lock on your keyboard. you can now translate the hot point upwards a little. Don't forget to de-activate your Caps Lock button.

Another possible issue with trees or objects not appearing to be on the terrain, is that if the rendered resolution of the terrain is higher than the preview resolution, it can look like objects in the Assembly room are not on the terrain, when in fact they are. To correct this, what I do when manually placing objects on the terrain, I will have the preview and rendered resolution the same. When I'm done placing objects manually, I lower the preview resolution to make my old system more responsive.

edited December 1969

Posted a second camera angle of the same scene:
    http://www.daz3d.com/gallery/images/36455

Took some of the advice above and fixed the Xiao Mei figure.

Also discovered that the glute control morphs for G2F do not work in Carrara - and in this render that became very obvious for my foreground figure, so I re-imported her as an obj export out of daz.

edited December 1969

Very nice Arcady.

Here's one I did for the challenge I hosted, but didn't enter.

Kong_Final.jpg
    2000 x 1500 - 2M
    edited December 1969

Here's a little bit of cheesecake. I used an hdri, the skylight and rendered with an alpha channel and depth pass. I added the background and DOF in Photoshop. I also painted out a bit of a nip slip. :red:

MM_Pole_dancer_big.jpg
    1596 x 2000 - 767K
  • bighbigh Posts: 8,147
    edited December 1969

Here's a little bit of cheesecake. I used an hdri, the skylight and rendered with an alpha channel and depth pass. I added the background and DOF in Photoshop. I also painted out a bit of a nip slip. :red:

neat work

• pimpypimpy Posts: 274
    edited August 2014

Great as always! Beautiful render and after this i like a little more lap dance
    P.s.
    which model you used, V4 or new genesis?

Post edited by pimpy on
  • DustRiderDustRider Posts: 2,691
    edited December 1969

pimpy said:

Great as always! Beautiful render and after this i like a little more lap dance
    P.s.
    which model you used, V4 or new genesis?
    Yes - tell us more about it. What skin texture set did you use, and what outfit? The details on the outfit are outstanding, and the skin shaders are extremely good.

edited August 2014

The figure is a V4 with a free morph set (maybe from ShareCG) called Like MM or something. It's supposed to be a Marilyn Monroe morph. The clothing is Hongyu's Leather Corset. The skin set is Reby Sky which is an elite set with Carrara shaders. I used the Carrara shaders but ditched the SSS in favor of using a multiplier in the glow channel with a copy of the color map in the top slot and a copy of the grayscale specular map from the Highlight channel in the second slot.

The hair is called Portia hair and instead of putting a multiplier in the glow channel, I put one in the Translucency channel with a copy of the color map and a copy of the bump map.

Picture_1.png
    923 x 873 - 336K
    Post edited by evilproducer on
    edited August 2014

Evil, that is quite strikingly good, my first thought was 'Octane? Lux? Thea?'. Viewing the larger version really shows off the details, the textures for the clothing are spot on, the skin is very good, and you have a real eye for scene setup and lighting. Just excellent, really, and shows that in skilled hands Carrara can really sing. Good one!

Post edited by Jonstark on
    edited December 1969

Jonstark said:

Evil, that is quite strikingly good, my first thought was 'Octane? Lux? Thea?'. Viewing the larger version really shows off the details, the textures for the clothing are spot on, the skin is very good, and you have a real eye for scene setup and lighting. Just excellent, really, and shows that in skilled hands Carrara can really sing. Good one!

Thanks for the nice words, Jon, Dustrider and everybody else! The subject matter helps a bit though. ;-)

I did the little trick I learned long ago on the old forum to help speed GI renders, and I made a mistake doing it.

The trick is to render a low res GI version with the Save Irradiance Map option enabled. Past discussion has shown you can't go to low or you'll get artifacts. I usually render at 640X480 or similar allowing for different aspect ratios. I also use lower AA settings, lower photon counts and photon lighting quality and pixel accuracy.

When I want to do the full res render, I disable the Save IR Map option and choose the Use Saved IR Map option. I also bump up my AA settings, my photon counts and the photon quality and pixel accuracy. For the render above, I forgot to increase the photon quality from fast to excellent. I'm re-rendering so I'll post the results later to compare.

So here's the cool part about using saved IR maps: If you do not change the lighting or move anything that effects the lighting, such as casts shadows, or reflects light, then you can move your camera around to your heart's content and you can use the same map. You could even animate a camera fly through that will render nearly as fast as a non-GI render. The trick again, is that objects themselves cannot be animated without weird shadow and photon artifacts as the IR map is static.

edited December 1969

Jonstark said:

Thanks for the nice words, Jon, Dustrider and everybody else! The subject matter helps a bit though. ;-)

I did the little trick I learned long ago on the old forum to help speed GI renders, and I made a mistake doing it.

The trick is to render a low res GI version with the Save Irradiance Map option enabled. Past discussion has shown you can't go to low or you'll get artifacts. I usually render at 640X480 or similar allowing for different aspect ratios. I also use lower AA settings, lower photon counts and photon lighting quality and pixel accuracy.

When I want to do the full res render, I disable the Save IR Map option and choose the Use Saved IR Map option. I also bump up my AA settings, my photon counts and the photon quality and pixel accuracy. For the render above, I forgot to increase the photon quality from fast to excellent. I'm re-rendering so I'll post the results later to compare.

So here's the cool part about using saved IR maps: If you do not change the lighting or move anything that effects the lighting, such as casts shadows, or reflects light, then you can move your camera around to your heart's content and you can use the same map. You could even animate a camera fly through that will render nearly as fast as a non-GI render. The trick again, is that objects themselves cannot be animated without weird shadow and photon artifacts as the IR map is static.

One of my favorite tricks actually, I use this method all the time to cut render time and it works like a charm. If I remember right I want to say it was DimensionTheory who discovered this? It's a serious time saver in rendering and we should mention it more often, some of the newer users of Carrara who weren't around for the old discussions (which are locked up and unfindable on the old forums) won't know about this trick, but it is surely one every Carrara user would want to know about and take advantage of. Probably we should start a new thread on it actually, just giving a step by step with some screenshots (not that it's all that complicated really), just so other carrarists will see it.

edited December 1969

Gorgeous, ep... simply gorgeous!
    Oh, and the render looks pretty cool, too! :ahhh:

• DADA_universeDADA_universe Posts: 336
    edited December 1969

Jonstark said:
    Jonstark said:

One of my favorite tricks actually, I use this method all the time to cut render time and it works like a charm. If I remember right I want to say it was DimensionTheory who discovered this? It's a serious time saver in rendering and we should mention it more often, some of the newer users of Carrara who weren't around for the old discussions (which are locked up and unfindable on the old forums) won't know about this trick, but it is surely one every Carrara user would want to know about and take advantage of. Probably we should start a new thread on it actually, just giving a step by step with some screenshots (not that it's all that complicated really), just so other carrarists will see it.

Yep, here's one newbie who never knew about that. Thanks EP for sharing. With folks like you in town, school is always in session!

edited December 1969

Thanks guys!

It could very well be DT who figured it out. It's been a long time. We actually had a bit of a discussion on it a few months ago here in the new forums, but it could stand revisiting from time to time, that's for sure.

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,073
    edited December 1969

Jonstark said:
    Jonstark said:

Great suggestion. I had no idea about this technique.

Thanks for explaining it, EP.

edited December 1969

So, here's the version where I used the saved lower res IR map and increased the Photon accuracy to excellent with a 2 pixel accuracy. The previous setting was Fast with a 2 pixel accuracy. The number of photons was 5000 and the photon map accuracy was 10% with no interpolation. I left those settings the same for both.

I also increased the AA settings to Good with an object accuracy of 0.5 pixels and a shadow accuracy of 1 pixel.

I notice a cleaner look to the corset material and also less blotchiness on the skin.

MM_Pole_dancer_big.jpg
    1596 x 2000 - 713K
    edited December 1969

I notice a cleaner look to the corset material and also less blotchiness on the skin.
    I also notice the high-res bump on the skin showing off its high quality, making it look.. well... touchable!
    Like I told you in private on the previous render, I really like the teeth and inner mouth shaders. The way the light is playing with the inside of her mouth is fantastic and, did you make that expression or did you load it, or both? I just love how natural she looks - expression-wise.
    Okay, while I'm at it, I'd also like to compliment the hair. That is a very nice hair product if you haven't applied post to it.Sure, I can still see that it's a 3d hair model, made up of curved planes with an alpha - granted. But it's very nicely done to allow the viewer to easily forget to notice that!

Another great render by Mr. Evil Producer!

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,922
    edited December 1969

So, here's the version where I used the saved lower res IR map and increased the Photon accuracy to excellent with a 2 pixel accuracy. The previous setting was Fast with a 2 pixel accuracy. The number of photons was 5000 and the photon map accuracy was 10% with no interpolation. I left those settings the same for both.

I also increased the AA settings to Good with an object accuracy of 0.5 pixels and a shadow accuracy of 1 pixel.

classic render evil, thanks for explaining the method ! not so sure about that armpit though, scary ;)

This discussion has been closed.