Daz Install Manager (DIM) 1.4.0.94, Now Available! (*UPDATED*)

Comments

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,133

DIM just claimed to have an update, which I installed, but it is still the same version 1.4.0.67. What is going on?

• barbult said:

DIM just claimed to have an update, which I installed, but it is still the same version 1.4.0.67. What is going on?

No update, glitch in the system.

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,133

DoctorJellybean said:

barbult said:

No update, glitch in the system.

OK, thanks. 

• IceCrMnIceCrMn Posts: 2,107
    edited January 2021

Not sure this is the best spot for this post but here it is.

Feature Requests:

1.A DIM feature to "move my content library to a new drive".Numerous posts here and other places looking for help after this was attempted by those not so familiar with the process.Having a button to do this would solve alot of issues for those users that only care about using Studio and care very little about how it all works.

2.DIM feature that can "Install/move all of my Studio stuff to a single drive".
    Install/move Studio, all user purchased content, database, all Daz programs(Hexagon, Carrara,Bryce), all user created files(scenes, materials settings, etc,etc) to a target drive.

For example;I buy a new PC and don't want to re-download the 1.4TB of content I've purchased and lose all the scenes and other stuff I've made over the years.I could use this feature to move everything to a USB drive or a large internal drive and only need to click the convenient button that makes desktop icons for me after I've moved the drive to the new PC.Everything would be just as I left it and none of my stuff would be missing or need to be re-downloaded or re-installed.

3. DIM file name collision warning during product install. Have DIM stop and warn me during a product install/update if it will cause "duplicate formulas" or has the same name, or overwrites another products' files or for any other reason it would cause chaos with an already installed product.

Post edited by IceCrMn on
  • IceCrMn said:

Not sure this is the best spot for this post but here it is.

There is a thread for Install Manager https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/382131/daz-install-manager-dim-1-4-0-67-now-available-updated#latest , though formal feature requests should go through a ticket (it's a good diea to discuss them in the forum first, however).

Feature Requests:

1.A DIM feature to "move my content library to a new drive".Numerous posts here and other places looking for help after this was attempted by those not so familiar with the process.Having a button to do this would solve alot of issues for those users that only care about using Studio and care very little about how it all works.

2.DIM feature that can "Install/move all of my Studio stuff to a single drive".
    Install/move Studio, all user purchased content, database, all Daz programs(Hexagon, Carrara,Bryce), all user created files(scenes, materials settings, etc,etc) to a target drive.

For example;I buy a new PC and don't want to re-download the 1.4TB of content I've purchased and lose all the scenes and other stuff I've made over the years.I could use this feature to move everything to a USB drive or a large internal drive and only need to click the convenient button that makes desktop icons for me after I've moved the drive to the new PC.Everything would be just as I left it and none of my stuff would be missing or need to be re-downloaded or re-installed.

There's already a right-click otpion to Reinstall Using Current paths in the Installed tab.

3. DIM file name collision warning during product install. Have DIM stop and warn me during a product install/update if it will cause "duplicate formulas" or has the same name, or overwrites another products' files or for any other reason it would cause chaos with an already installed product.

DIM does note when it is "installing" an item twice, in the InstallManagerFileRegister.json file in the root of the content dierctory. I'm not sure it would have enough information to spot possible Duplicate Formula issues, to be thorough it would have to know about and scan all active content directories (including those from Connect)

• IceCrMnIceCrMn Posts: 2,107
    Thank you Richard. Could you please move my post over there.
  • Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,721
    edited January 2021

IceCrMn said:

Thank you Richard. Could you please move my post over there.

Done. This discussion was created from comments split from: Daz Studio Pro BETA - version 4.15.0.2! (*UPDATED*).

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on
  • Dolce SaitoDolce Saito Posts: 148
    edited February 2021

Starting from yesterday, I am being greeted with this message whenever I try to connect with either DIM, DAZ Studio (Connect - login) and Daz central.

I checked the windows firewall dropped packets log and it is not blocking anything (nothing has changed in the system anyway). Is there an issue with servers currently? (It is obvious that I can log-in to website and forums just fine).

I can also connect to various places with various applications fine.

Daz Studio internal log:

2021-02-04 17:17:50.653 WARNING: ..\..\..\..\..\src\sdksource\cloud\dzcloudtasknotifier.cpp(178): Failed to parse returned JSON:
    2021-02-04 17:17:50.654 WARNING: ..\..\..\..\..\src\sdksource\cloud\dzcloudtasknotifier.cpp(178): Communication to server failed.

DIM internal log (first occurance):

2021-02-03 10:08:57.035 Starting CMS...
    2021-02-03 10:08:58.537 Connected to CMS: PostgreSQL 9.3.4, compiled by Visual C++ build 1600, 64-bit
    2021-02-03 10:09:01.329 Unable to login customer during authentication.
    2021-02-03 10:09:04.830 Saving Account Settings: Account
    2021-02-03 10:09:04.844 Unable to login customer during authentication.
    2021-02-03 10:09:08.282 Saving Account Settings: Account
    2021-02-03 10:09:08.294 Unable to login customer during authentication.
    2021-02-03 10:15:13.520 Saving Account Settings: Account
    2021-02-03 10:15:13.562 Unable to login customer during authentication.
    2021-02-03 10:15:19.146 Saving Account Settings: Account
    2021-02-03 10:15:19.158 Unable to login customer during authentication.
    2021-02-03 10:15:22.692 Saving Account Settings: Account
    2021-02-03 10:15:22.828 --------------- Install Manager exited ------------------

DazConnectFail.png
    822 x 555 - 46K
    Post edited by Dolce Saito on
  • felix_nukem said:

Starting from yesterday, I am being greeted with this message whenever I try to connect with either DIM, DAZ Studio (Connect - login) and Daz central.

I checked the windows firewall dropped packets log and it is not blocking anything (nothing has changed in the system anyway). Is there an issue with servers currently? (It is obvious that I can log-in to website and forums just fine).

I can also connect to various places with various applications fine.

Daz internal log:

2021-02-04 17:17:50.653 WARNING: ..\..\..\..\..\src\sdksource\cloud\dzcloudtasknotifier.cpp(178): Failed to parse returned JSON:
    2021-02-04 17:17:50.654 WARNING: ..\..\..\..\..\src\sdksource\cloud\dzcloudtasknotifier.cpp(178): Communication to server failed.

That is usually a server issue. Are you using a VPN? If it persists with DIM, DazCentral as well as Connect, then I would contact Customer Services.

• Dolce SaitoDolce Saito Posts: 148
    edited February 2021

That is usually a server issue. Are you using a VPN? If it persists with DIM, DazCentral as well as Connect, then I would contact Customer Services.

Good catch. However, it *was* other way around. When I connected to the vpn, then dim connects. At first, I thought that I was somehow blacklisted by server due to ip change, then I disconnected from vpn and dim continued working. So, it was vpn application messing (probably) network settings preventing me from connecting auth server.

Thanks for the help, everything is in order now.

Post edited by Dolce Saito on
  • Roman_K2Roman_K2 Posts: 1,206

Richard Haseltine said:

DIM does note when it is "installing" an item twice...

My problem for the past 48-72 hours involved a spare/backup/render-in-the-background sort of "#2" computer with Win7 on it, that I'm continuing to use while I try to figure out Windows 10 on my purportedly "#1" computer-in-waiting.

This sidebar machine hasn't connected to DAZ for several months and it was giving me grief - DIM wouldn't work due to something that looked like a password issue I tried changing my pw - nope! I tried re-installing DIM - still no go. Then I glanced at the top of this thread and followed the link and I downloaded the new DIM. Ok! Things got better and DIM is downloading recently purchased content.

I thought the DIM download page was a bit awkward. Why would it say "Daz Studio" on this page (red arrows, in my screenshot). And where the purple circle is, there is an asterisk that is supposed to remind me that something requires the latest DIM to work (purple arrow)... duh... the reason I went to this page in the first place is because I was trying to get the latest DIM!

All the best, keep safe... Roman

download-page-issues-early-feb-2021.jpg
    897 x 676 - 69K
  • KeryaKerya Posts: 10,943

The type "Dazstudio" is since the new and improved store the only "type" shown - even for Bryce and Carrara downloads ... 

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

Features I would feel interest in a download manager.

First thing, is that im prefix less than helpful.  cant sort items by name.

a download manager that sould save the file to my pc with the exact pdroduct name and date be would much better.
    please include the promo pictures as jpg or png.  readmes. instructions pdfs.

if it could 'extract all' zips to a folder name of the product would be good too.  i do this manually, then delete the zip.

i would not want it to auto install to my runtime.  i modify all the folders.  i don't like to drill down many levels to reach the mat presets.

a download smart enough to download the poser files for a product, if available, and not the duf files.
    poser files are better for carrara due to the use of daz content uwrap and instances

• jbowlerjbowler Posts: 742

Mystiarra said [emphasis added]:

a download manager that sould save the file to my pc with the exact pdroduct name and date be would much better.

if it could 'extract all' zips to a folder name of the product would be good too.  i do this manually, then delete the zip.

i would not want it to auto install to my runtime.  i modify all the folders.  i don't like to drill down many levels to reach the mat presets.

a download smart enough to download the poser files for a product, if available, and not the duf files.
    poser files are better for carrara due to the use of daz content uwrap and instances

DIM Settings/Advanced Settings... In the "Installation" tab add a new content path shortcut label "Product" and set it to some suitable base directory, e.g. "P:/DAZ 3D/Products".  Set the "Content Path Shortcuts" drop down to the Product label.

Now when you have a new product open the Advanced Settings... window again, go to the "Installation" tab and click on the "..." button to the right of the "Product" short cut label.  Do New Folder and paste in the product name (possibly modifying it if it contains characters that are not permitted), close the window, install the product.  DIM doesn't allow the product name to be copied (a clear bug - all text should be copyable), but it is possible to get it quickly view right-click/show order...

I believe you only have to do this once for each product; DIM remembers the actual directory, not the content shortcut tag.

It would be somewhat less tedious if DIM supported using types/tags/product iDs; setting the content path shortcut to something like "P:/DAZ 3D/Products/%type/%product_name" etc.

• TaozTaoz Posts: 9,724
    edited March 2021

Mystiarra said:

It is possible to write an alternative to DIM, but it's a much better idea to let DIM download the files and then process them afterwards with another app.

I once wrote an app that will sort DAZ install files into named folders as shown below, making it extract the content of the zip into the folder also or instead is fairly simple to make. 

dim_file_sorter.png
    755 x 372 - 26K
    folder_sort_dim_install_files.png
    709 x 387 - 34K
    Post edited by Taoz on
  • NorthOf45NorthOf45 Posts: 5,211

Okay, here's a new one. Every time I go to an Order Page, the browser (MS Edge) starts a DIM installer download... "What do you want to do with DAZDIM_1.4.0.67_Win64.exe?"

Okay, maybe not every time, but if I wait about 10 minutes, and go to another order page, it starts again.

• NorthOf45 said:

Okay, here's a new one. Every time I go to an Order Page, the browser (MS Edge) starts a DIM installer download... "What do you want to do with DAZDIM_1.4.0.67_Win64.exe?"

Okay, maybe not every time, but if I wait about 10 minutes, and go to another order page, it starts again.

That is a new one. Maybe it'll fix itself.

NorthOf45 said:

Firefox here - no problems ...

DoctorJellybean said:

NorthOf45 said:

That is a new one. Maybe it'll fix itself.

Hey! What do you know? It did... wink

Hm-m. Spoke too soon. It seems to start the DIM installer download if you go to an Order page after restarting MS Edge, which is being updated something like twice a week these days.

• Whatever the problems are with DIM, they don't seem to be particular to the update. I'm using an ancient version of DIM (1.1.0.21) on an equally ancient Mac Pro I'm restoring, running OS 10.7.5. I downloaded over 900 of my assets last Sunday, no problems. Tried today, getting nothing but "Download Failed."  DIM 1.4.0.67 on a more up to date Mac downloaded a new asset with no problems. 

So if it's not the DIM update, what is it?

• colongraphics said:

Whatever the problems are with DIM, they don't seem to be particular to the update. I'm using an ancient version of DIM (1.1.0.21) on an equally ancient Mac Pro I'm restoring, running OS 10.7.5. I downloaded over 900 of my assets last Sunday, no problems. Tried today, getting nothing but "Download Failed."  DIM 1.4.0.67 on a more up to date Mac downloaded a new asset with no problems. 

I'm surprised an older version of DIM would work online at all.

• Richard Haseltine said:

colongraphics said:

Whatever the problems are with DIM, they don't seem to be particular to the update. I'm using an ancient version of DIM (1.1.0.21) on an equally ancient Mac Pro I'm restoring, running OS 10.7.5. I downloaded over 900 of my assets last Sunday, no problems. Tried today, getting nothing but "Download Failed."  DIM 1.4.0.67 on a more up to date Mac downloaded a new asset with no problems. 

It shouldn't, as it would "force" an update to function online.

• colongraphics colongraphics Posts: 78
    edited April 2021

DoctorJellybean said:

Richard Haseltine said:

colongraphics said:

It shouldn't, as it would "force" an update to function online.

Sorry to disappoint, fellas.   It did, until now. No prompts to "force" update.  I'll download the latest version later, assuming DIM 1.4.0.67 will even work with Daz 4.6 and Daz 4.10 resident on this particular machine. And no, I will not update Daz 4.15 to ensure compatability, as that version will not be able to run on either of the machines I have, given hardware constraints, and mostly benefit Windows users running the latest Nvdia cards.

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on
  • colongraphics colongraphics Posts: 78
    edited April 2021

Downloaded DIM 1.4.0.67 on the hardware referenced above. After successfully downloading and installing less than a third of my Daz assets, it is now failing when attempting to download or install anything at all. Useless.

Post edited by colongraphics on
  • jbowlerjbowler Posts: 742

colongraphics said:

Downloaded DIM 1.4.0.67 on the hardware referenced above. After successfully downloading and installing less than a third of my Daz assets, it is now failing when attempting to download or install anything at all. Useless.

That version and, at least, several before "lose connection" with the server after a while.  In my experience DIM loses the connection within 24 hours.  I've had no problem just logging in again after the problem is reported and the interminable delay (IRC about a minute) while it untwists its knickers.  It goes into "offline" mode initially however I haven't tried installing in offline mode.  In DIM settings/Show log... should give enough information for DAZ Productions to respond to a bug report, but that's "should" as in "should" not as in "will".

I do know that DIM is terminally unreliable in situations where network connections are unreliable.  If a DIM download fails because of a network error some percentage of the time DIM will discard the potential download, so for large packages (e.g. the 1GByte ones) and flakey networks it may be impossible to ever download the package.  My network had been squirrelled (i.e. a squirrel had chewn through the ethernet drop cable from the aerial and water had got in, resulting in an extremely flakey connection).  It's been fixed so the network is somewhat more reliable and I'm not seeing the terminal problems any more.

It remains the case that DIM isn't good at reliable download (though it is nowhere near as bad as Google's mechanism to download your data - one network failure and you have to start again...)  In the past I have downloaded big packages using the link on the relevant product library page then put those into my DIM downloads directory.  DIM doesn't care; it extracts the manifest from the zip and uses that to install it, this is why third parties can distribute DIM acceptable packages.  You can use the link with wget, which is very, very reliable, although it has 1001 options.

• In an effort to avoid having to download all the assets I brought, I nuked the hard drive, reinstalled the OS and updates, applications and assorted software, and spent the better part of the week slowly using DIM 1.4.0.67 to re-install my assets. It was patchwork. It appears that the application is not designed to download and install earlier assets. I'm currently updating from back-ups to move data, files and runtime folders en masse, and I'll have to map the files so the Daz applications can find them properly. I seem to be paying a "tax" for adopting Daz Studio 2 as my primary render program, and buying assets from that time. The application seems to favor recent adapters and only the latest assets and hardware to run them.

• colongraphics said:

In an effort to avoid having to download all the assets I brought, I nuked the hard drive, reinstalled the OS and updates, applications and assorted software, and spent the better part of the week slowly using DIM 1.4.0.67 to re-install my assets. It was patchwork. It appears that the application is not designed to download and install earlier assets. I'm currently updating from back-ups to move data, files and runtime folders en masse, and I'll have to map the files so the Daz applications can find them properly. I seem to be paying a "tax" for adopting Daz Studio 2 as my primary render program, and buying assets from that time. The application seems to favor recent adapters and only the latest assets and hardware to run them.

DAZ Studio 2 hasn't been supported for a very long time, nor DS 3. That said, you should still be able to install content and use the exe installers for the application and plug-ins.

DazStudio 2 ... hmmm I have my installer from DS 1.2 somewhere. laugh

Earnestly, those older files are probably in Poser format. They should simply install into the Runtime folder of the folder where you install everything.

But I never tried ... I am downloading with DIM, because that's the only way to know about updates, but I am always unzipping and installing by hand.

I just looked into DIM and sorted by Product ID. The lowest I have is the morphing skull https://www.daz3d.com/morphing-skull SKU 23 - and yes, the zip has a folder Readme's and a folder Runtime.

DoctorJellybean said:

colongraphics said:

In an effort to avoid having to download all the assets I brought, I nuked the hard drive, reinstalled the OS and updates, applications and assorted software, and spent the better part of the week slowly using DIM 1.4.0.67 to re-install my assets. It was patchwork. It appears that the application is not designed to download and install earlier assets. I'm currently updating from back-ups to move data, files and runtime folders en masse, and I'll have to map the files so the Daz applications can find them properly. I seem to be paying a "tax" for adopting Daz Studio 2 as my primary render program, and buying assets from that time. The application seems to favor recent adapters and only the latest assets and hardware to run them.

DAZ Studio 2 hasn't been supported for a very long time, nor DS 3. That said, you should still be able to install content and use the exe installers for the application and plug-ins.

I think colongraphics is talking about assets bought during that time ...

Yes, the installer for DS 2 was an .exe file and you still can get it through your product library, if you "bought" it back then.

https://www.daz3d.com/downloader/customer/files#prod_2075