How Daz Should do their next Significant Character Bundle....

ChumlyChumly Posts: 793
edited April 2021 in Product Suggestions

OK, Lets have some fun.  
As I have read through some of the last New Character threads (Brooke being the most recent) the roll out has been met with mixed reviews.  Especially on the heels of the Season Pass roll out etc etc...

Anyway, what is your sure fire formula for a Daz Character Success?

I am sure Daz Doesn't work this way, but if it could, how about

Character: Dr Jayne Ridge 
Jayne always had a passion for animals.  From a very young age, she wanted to be a Field Biologist and after graduating from the University of Manchester witha Degree in Zoology, she moved to Costa Rica where her PhD Research lead her to the study and conservation of Sloths. 

Other Options: Jungle Explorer, Tarzan & Jayne, Battles with Evil Junta fueled by drug trade... etc etc

Character by CarbonCrow 
Skin HD & 8.1 by Bluejaunte
Poses/Pose Pack by those-things
Clothes and additional poses by Aeon-Soul
Gratuitous Male "Boyfriend" character by Deepsea
Sloth by Alessandro AM
Sloth Monster for G8M by RawArt
Jungle Environment Jefferson AF
Swingin/Interactive Jungle Vines Sickleyield

Character based off a combination of Jane Goodall and Dr Rebecca Cliffe (Dr Cliffe is actually in Costa Rico right now working with Sloths).  Here are some refrence photos

and how about 10% of the sales go to Sloth Conservation Foundation ?

Anyone else have and idea?

Post edited by Chumly on

Comments

• PaintboxPaintbox Posts: 1,633

I like your idea, I am going to have a think about this. But this is the way to go + plus better Q&A (promo images, descriptions)

• WolfwoodWolfwood Posts: 675

If DAZ manage that team, i'm in!

I may not have something in mind for that particular theme now, but at least would be fresh. Beats another archer bundle for sure.

• SickleYieldSickleYield Posts: 7,629
    edited April 2021
    Here are a couple of relevant facts you might not know! A Daz Original or DO bundle consists entirely of items that have been sold directly to Daz by the artist, so that the artist no longer profits from store sales. We/they sell to Daz, and Daz sells to you. Now, more than 50% of the average long-term PA's income comes from catalog sales of "PA" products. A PA product costs more because Daz doesn't let us set prices below a certain amount, but the profits from its sales are split between Daz and the PA. So, for example, I still earn money on sales of all my water products, because I own the rights to them, but not the Fantasy Wear Megapack, because I sold that one to Daz. So, the reason you only see some items in bundles is that those are usually the artists that can work very fast and still profit as much from a buyout as they would from long-term sales (and I can say from what I know of the amazing Sade, for example, that she works lightning fast). If someone spends a month on a very large, very detailed set, like Stonemason or Arki, they almost can't afford to sell to Daz because Daz can't afford a buyout offer that would pay for their hours worked. My average product takes two weeks. That's iffy for me in terms of buyout vs. catalog. And there's also the issue of deadlines, in that a DO has to be done a loooong time before the bundle comes out, and some people find those deadlines harder to manage. Daz Original Bundle artists are amazing, but they are also super fast, and we can't all do that. ;)
    Post edited by SickleYield on
  • SevrinSevrin Posts: 6,301

SickleYield said:

Here are a couple of relevant facts you might not know! A Daz Original or DO bundle consists entirely of items that have been sold directly to Daz by the artist, so that the artist no longer profits from store sales. We/they sell to Daz, and Daz sells to you. Now, more than 50% of the average long-term PA's income comes from catalog sales of "PA" products. A PA product costs more because Daz doesn't let us set prices below a certain amount, but the profits from its sales are split between Daz and the PA. So, for example, I still earn money on sales of all my water products, because I own the rights to them, but not the Fantasy Wear Megapack, because I sold that one to Daz. So, the reason you only see some items in bundles is that those are usually the artists that can work very fast and still profit as much from a buyout as they would from long-term sales (and I can say from what I know of the amazing Sade, for example, that she works lightning fast). If someone spends a month on a very large, very detailed set, like Stonemason or Arki, they almost can't afford to sell to Daz because Daz can't afford a buyout offer that would pay for their hours worked. My average product takes two weeks. That's iffy for me in terms of buyout vs. catalog. And there's also the issue of deadlines, in that a DO has to be done a loooong time before the bundle comes out, and some people find those deadlines harder to manage. Daz Original Bundle artists are amazing, but they are also super fast, and we can't all do that. ;)

Thanks for sharing that.  This explains a lot of things, and confirms some things I'd wondered about. 

• FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,563

Thanks for sharing that.  This explains a lot of things, and confirms some things I'd wondered about. 

Agreed, and explains why we can't dictate bundles like this also.

• SevrinSevrin Posts: 6,301

FSMCDesigns said:

Well, the thread did start out "Let's have some fun", so it's not a matter of dictating.  This is more like Daz Fantasy Football. 

• AscaniaAscania Posts: 1,838

Sevrin said:

FSMCDesigns said:

Well, the thread did start out "Let's have some fun", so it's not a matter of dictating.  This is more like Daz Fantasy Football. 

DAZ Fantasy Bundling-Ball.

• What a cute creatures these sloths are! And thank you for the nomination my friend, I appreciate it. If I have enough time, it won't be up to me.

• WolfwoodWolfwood Posts: 675

SickleYield said:

I won't dispute anything of that.

But since DO bundles are no longer standard Starter/Pro i don't see why they can't work in a different manner, like: give more time before deadline and pay accordingly the buyouts. It would at least give them an excuse to justify current pricing for bundles.

Or even better, some PAs can work at their own time, making their own items while staying on the same theme and sending arround the same time asking for a joint release date and promo. May don't even need to create a bundle item (don't know if there is a limit to collaboration), but give a nice discount buying 3+ items on release week. I know a lot of people will be more interested in that than current DO bundles. 

• ChumlyChumly Posts: 793
    edited April 2021

Sickleyield!
    I knew I was forgetting someone... !  I updated the OP and put you in for Swingin/Interactive Jungle Vines!

Yes, it is for fun... Kinda
    I know that "grumpy" folks are more talkative/posting prone than happy/mildly satisfied folks when it comes to products, but still, methinks that there must be something afoot as the "post" 8.1 launch era has had most of the main/major products released to, at best, a tepid response.

Sites get updated, characters get updated, so on and so on.  How about how Daz dealing with their PAs and Bundle Payment Structure get updated?

I would think that Daz needs PAs as much as PAs need Daz....

As with most things, it comes down to money... so how about a New structure where Daz gives Pays the PAs for the rights to their work (as per normal) but at a bit of a reduced rate, but gives the PAs a slowly gowing percentage of sales over time?  

That might benefit the quick turn-around Artist as well as the Longer-Haul PAs as they would be getting something to compensate them for time spent but also royalties from future sales.

It might be worth a shot... I mean, what ISN'T Daz trying these days?  NFT, Season Passes, Flair...

When all else fails, go back to Marketing/Sales 101 and make sure the basics are nailed down.

Regardless
    The current system might not allow for a bundle like this to be made, but, we'd have laughed heartily this time 2 years ago if we'd have asked for a Major Bundle Charcter who was wheelchair bound and had a basketball theme.. no?

Post edited by Chumly on
  • HylasHylas Posts: 4,772

@SickleYield: Thanks, I love these peaks behind the curtain! I have always wondered now much income the back catalogue brings, and whether PAs prefere their products to be bought by DAZ or not.

• catapanocatapano Posts: 3

Sometimes I see sloths on trees across from my beach apartment.