DAZ Studio 4 Installation Guide Windows

Comments

• KeryaKerya Posts: 10,943
    josampet said:

I was suddenly booted from Daz central and am no longer able to sign into it. I've uninstalled 5 times but nothing works

In that case you probably should open a ticket:

https://helpdaz.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/requests/new

Click on the Sign in in the upper right corner first.

• My installation of Daz Studio using Daz central is stuck at 86% and not proceeding further. Any help on how to proceed??? 

• My installation of Daz Studio using Daz central is stuck at 86% and not proceeding further. Any help on how to proceed??? 

Same Problem : ) After this 86% i have Fatal Error and the DazCentral-App by the Dashboard is in perma Looping,,, this Software is Garbage xD

Unbenannt.PNG
    693 x 579 - 137K
  • Are there any links or videos that explain how to completely uninstall Daz Studio so I can do a fresh install, and can I do it without Daz Central, manually, the old fashioned way with a downloaded file? Thanks so much in advance
  • ByBryByBry Posts: 10

I uninstalled Daz IM, I went into the registry and cleaned out all Daz files.  When I reinstall Daz Im it still hold all of my previous settings.  Daz Control central is useless in tems of installing the application.  It gets to 86% and quits. Absolutely useless.

Back to IM.  No matter which path I choose to install Daz 4.x I get an install failed error.  

I want to install Daz 4.x on my C: drive put I want my content on an external drive because it is eating my 2TB drive alive.

This would be so simple if I could uninstall DIM which I can via the Control panel but where is it getting the install paths?  I can't get rid of them.  driving me crazy.

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565

The DIM settings are saved in C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Roaming\DAZ 3D\InstallManager

You can delete or change existing install paths inside DIM using the settings gear in the upper right.

Take a look in the Helper log -- most likely the install error is coming from folder permissions.

• ByBryByBry Posts: 10

When someone offers help and they provides a solution to my problem they deserve my thanks. 

So thank you, you fixed my issue and I am now back in business.  

• edited March 2021

This may or may not be an easy one. My windows10 OS crashed and burned and I had to reinstall it more or less from scratch which deleted all my programs including DAZstudio. Assets in Documents were fine. Central installed Studio but locked up on everything else so in the end I uninstalled it (I wasn't getting a firewall error or anything but it could have been the problem), then went into my Product Library page and found Studio and DIM and installed those. Studio found my old runtimes. DIM did not. So I got stupid and started reinstalling stuff through DIM and overloaded my C drive to the point where I could only get it to do anything once it had reached the desktop by starting in safe mode. I tried uninstalling assets to open up room on C before it started locking up but a lot of stuff was not fully uninstalling as I could still find it inside Studio and load it into scene. I ended up having to completely remove the DAZ stuff in my documents. Now all the "Starter Essentials" are gone, when I hand-installed studio was there something else I should have grabbed? For instance I had the Alchemy Chasm, Barefoot Dancer, and Base Camp as part of those assets and I want all of that back if I can get it. Help?

Post edited by wickedprince3d_fd273b40ac on

You could download and install those by hand too:

https://www.daz3d.com/downloader/customer/files#prod_13176

Scroll down to the "This product is a bundle that contains the following products..."

• Yeah I saw that, thing is that Alchemy Chasm and some of the other products don't seem to be included there. The rest seem to be in my Product Library and can be reloaded through DIM I think.

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565

Those should be included in Genesis Starter Essentials.

Fixmypcmike said:

Correct ... if you would like to see what comes with the Genesis Starter Essentials:

https://poserdazfreebies.miraheze.org/wiki/Genesis_Starter_Essentials

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 9,296

Fixmypcmike said:

Aahh... That's where it was... Funny though, you can't find it in your Product Library and if you go to the product page, it doesn't say that you own it already. 

PerttiA said:

Fixmypcmike said:

Aahh... That's where it was... Funny though, you can't find it in your Product Library and if you go to the product page, it doesn't say that you own it already. 

That is because the store version is for Poser https://www.daz3d.com/the-alchemy-chasm

The DazStudio version is only in the Starter Essentials.

• edited March 2021

Ahhhh, yes I just reinstalled the various Essentials packs and there it all was. THANK YOU!

I was afraid I'd have to try to dig the folders/files out of the old overloaded "runtime" I'd copied over to a portable.

Post edited by wickedprince3d_fd273b40ac on
  • Okay, did a complete new PC system build with Windows 10 PRO 64 bit for the OS. Using a 2TB M.2 SSD for primary system drive containing OS and program files (C drive). User files (My Documents, My Pictures, My Videos, etc) are relocated/moved to a 1TB SSD secondary drive (E drive). Have a 1TB M.2 SSD drive (F drive) which I want to designate exclusively for my Daz Studio 4.15 Content. Want to prevent my main system C drive from becoming over-populated with document files, picture files, and My Daz Content files (which is currently at around 400GB and growing) and compromise system performance. I assume Daz content files (My Daz Library) can be re-located and function on another drive seperate from the Daz Studio system files. Wondering if someone can advise on the best way to do it. Is it merely just typing in and saving the new location under base path within Daz Studio settings? Help would be greatly appreciated.

• If you want to configure paths and use a separate isntaller then use Install Manager, not Daz Central. https://www.daz3d.com/get_install_manager/

If you moved the Docuemnts folder using the Location tab of its properties dialogue, and did that before isntalling DS, then the My Library folder will already be on that drive. If not, and for other content directories, you can use Edit>Preferences, go to the Content tab, and click Content Directory manager than edit or add/remove paths as desired. Once done, download http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/public/software/dazstudio/4/referenceguide/scripting/api_reference/samples/file_io/install_manager_config/start (link above the code), drag it into the DS Viewport, and Install Manager will get those paths added - you can then select the one you want to use in Install Manager from the drop-down list at the bottom (check Show Details) and everything should match up.

• TenTen71TenTen71 Posts: 67

killerwolf666 said:

hi,

hoping for some installation help.

Had Daz on my machine ages ago and uninstalled it. so i thought, was a lot of Daz stuff left despite WIn10 telling me it had been removed, it seems this is a known issue, from a quick google.

anyway, i zaped what i could, website says now to get Dez central which will get the daz product. all seemed fine, i clicked in DC to get Daz Studio, and it said intalling, then the percentage kept dropping etc, at it appeared it was trawling through a lot of my assets and downloading them too. killed it, wiped everyting, tried under a new email, but somehow DC still picks up the downloads/purchases from my other email account.

simply, how do i get a clean install of DS?

TIA

This is the process I followed to re-install Daz Studio and DIM onto my Windows 7 machine last year (and wrote it all down to remember) -- keep in mind that your versions may be different than mine and I don't know if Windows 8/10 or Mac work differently and of course you may be installing in different drives and folders than me:

1) install DAZ PostgreSQL CMS_9.3.4.exe (success -- no hanging) (your version may be different)

2) install Daz Studio 4.10.0.123 (your version may be different)
       - set program directory to C:\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4 (yours may be different)
       - set content directory to E:\DAZ Studio Assets (yours may be different)
       - open DAZ Studio and check "Work Offline" in the first dialog box so you can set preferences before it downloads anything
         - check "do not show again" box
       - enter serial number in next dialog box
       - enter name and web address (optional) in next box
       - uncheck everything in "import metadata" box
       - check "do not show again" on HOME box
       - close Daz Studio
       - open Daz Studio again
       - reset Content Directories to:
         - DAZ Connect Data: E:\DAZ Studio Assets\Daz 3D Content - Daz Connect (yours may be different)
         - DAZ Studio Formats: E:\DAZ Studio Assets\Daz 3D Content (yours may be different)
           - ADD: E:\DAZ Studio Assets\DAZ STUDIO LIBRARY\Studio\My Library (yours may be different)
         - Poser Formats: E:\DAZ Studio Assets\Daz 3D Content - Poser Formats (yours may be different)
         - Other Import Formats: E:\DAZ Studio Assets\Daz 3D Content - Other Formats (yours may be different)
       - add Hexagon location to Bridge preference (if you own Hexagon)
       - Products list is completed by right-clicking ContentLibrary tab, run Content DB Maintenance > Re-Import Metadata (don't need to login) [15+ minute process]  (your time may be different)

3) install Daz Install Manager (updated to 1.4.0.58) (your version may be different)
       - don't login yet
       - set to Work Offline, enter email address and set up settings
       - should process what is already in PC (few minutes)
       - 5700+ items ready to install (yours may be different)
         - check all and go through list to make sure to uncheck anything I don't want to install yet (video tutorials, photoshop brushes, etc.)
         - takes a while [around 8 hours] to "install" everything (your time may be different)
           - admin access is needed if admin user
           - Microsoft Visual C++ 2017 ReDist 14.14.26429 will ask for permission to install 
             - fails because another version exists (0x80070666 error)
       - login to DIM to check for new downloads and updates and reset items to hidden that you don't wish to install (32bit items, tutorials, etc.)
         - sometimes the system may get stuck (so check on it once in a while)
         - some items will ask to be installed (usually plugins)

- REBOOT

4) re-open Daz Studio
       - add necessary serial numbers for plugins
       - close/re-open DAZ Studio
       - have to enter login info to update metadata on items that are missing details (like thumbnails)
       - there are lots of empty items and blank thumbnails -- blanks that are duplicates can be deleted

Hope this helps someone with a re-install.

ALWAYS KEEP EVERY VERSION OF DAZ STUDIO YOU DOWNLOAD. You never know when an update is going to be bad.

ALWAYS KEEP ALL YOUR DAZ DOWNLOADS OR DAZ INSTALLED PRODUCTS. Otherwise you'll have to download everything all over again and that sucks when you have 1000's of products like me.

• Geminii23Geminii23 Posts: 1,327

So I am stuck with a weird problem.  I mistakenly tried using Daz Central and it defautled to create everything on my C drive.  I do not want any content on this drive. Just the app.  So I tried uninstalling everything and then downloaded the DIM.  I keep trying to use it but when I try to login (it seems to have pre-filled in my Daz Central info) the app just vanishes like it isn't even loading.

Geminii23 said:

So I am stuck with a weird problem.  I mistakenly tried using Daz Central and it defautled to create everything on my C drive.  I do not want any content on this drive. Just the app.  So I tried uninstalling everything and then downloaded the DIM.  I keep trying to use it but when I try to login (it seems to have pre-filled in my Daz Central info) the app just vanishes like it isn't even loading.

That's weird ...

Did you try to start DIM in Offline mode and go through all the settings?

Hi.  Yes.  So far I've tried to install DIM and DAZ from stand alone installers and have tried to install DAZ through DAZ Central. DIM will only open in offline mode which is useless.  I have now tried 3 or 4 times to uninstall and re-install everything.  The results have been a disaster.  Sometimes DAZ won't even show up in the Windows Start menu as being installed.  And twice DAZ Central installed DAZ on both my C and D drives.  In this latest attempt I uninstalled everything and then went into regedit to try and ensure DAZ was totally removed everywhere.  I tried to reinstall and DAZ is now totally empty.  It didn't install even the basic Smart Content.  And once I tried to install any content I was pretty pissed off to see that it is sticking everything in the Public folder. And I can't understand how something so basic as specifiying to install my content on a second drive is this difficultto acocmplish for DAZ.

I am so frustrated right now.  I just bought a brand new Alienware.  This was not a cheap investment.  And the only reason is for DAZ. DAZ is basically useless in MAC now because iRay will only work with Nvidia. But the fact that I can't simply install the damn program, nevermind specify an external or secondary drive for my content library makes me want to scream right now. Even if I can get the damn program installed and working, I have almost 1 TB of content that will not fit on the system drive in the public folder.  This is just ridiculous.  

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,219

Daz Central should hafea llowed tou to choose the drive to use, though it then puts everything in the same place within the target location. Unfortunately I think it's likely that your attempts to clean things up have now broken some hidden setting - at this point, assuming you don't want to do a system reinstall, you should probably open a support ticket to ask for help with doing a full reset.

edited May 2021

Richard Haseltine said:

Daz Central should hafea llowed tou to choose the drive to use, though it then puts everything in the same place within the target location. Unfortunately I think it's likely that your attempts to clean things up have now broken some hidden setting - at this point, assuming you don't want to do a system reinstall, you should probably open a support ticket to ask for help with doing a full reset.

Yup, I was thinking the exact same thing.  So last night I did a full system reset.  This is a brand new machine and the only thing I am trying to install right now is DAZ, so I didn't have anything to lose but time. Now this is a 100% clean installation of Windows 10.  And guess what...  

Same problem.  DIM doesn't work at all.  Jeez.

I followed TenTen71's instructions precisely.  I installed DAZ Studio 4.15 from the stand alone installer which I know includes PostgreSQl CMS.  I went through each step he detailed with launching DAZ first time.  Put it my activation key.  Stayed in offline mode, etc.  Then I installed DIM and followed his steps.  Went in Offline mode and made changes as instructed.  Then I tried to login with my account and DIM does same thing as before.  It just vanishes after you hit Start button.  Like it is being blocked by a popup blocker. I checked in Task Manager with Windows to see if I can find anything there on what is going on but don't see anything. I also checked the Log file in DIM, but can't see any real error.  I'm including the log file in case it helps.

I opened a support ticket last night. But who knows when anyone might get back to me.

txt
    txt
    log.txt
    Post edited by Geminii23 on

Well, I wouldn't recommend using the stand-aone installer for DS then installing DIM, but that certainly shouldn't make it crash. You can use DIM offline for most things - just download the zips and put them in the DIM downloads folder - but again, this should nto be needed.

Richard Haseltine said:

Well, I wouldn't recommend using the stand-aone installer for DS then installing DIM, but that certainly shouldn't make it crash. You can use DIM offline for most things - just download the zips and put them in the DIM downloads folder - but again, this should nto be needed.

What method would you advise to install everything?  Are you saying that I should download DS and then install DIM, go into offline mode and install DAZ studio that way? Something is clearly not working with DIM on my Windows 10.  I am able to launch the MAC version with no problems.  I don't even want to bother with Daz Central cause it seems to offer zero control over where stuff goes.  Also I would have to sit here and click on each product 1 at a time to install. That will take me weeks with the amount of content I have purchased over the years.

So I have an idea to get this working but not sure this will work.  My DAZ and DIM works on MAC, just really slow.  I'm thinking I can use that to download all the DIM installer zips for my products, then copy the entire Install folder to an external drive and hook that up to my Windows 10 box.  After that I load DIM in offline mode and run all the installers putting them in their proper place.

Would this work? Do I also then need to re-import metadata and reset the db? Any ideas would be helpful.

Thanks! 

Geminii23 said:

So I have an idea to get this working but not sure this will work.  My DAZ and DIM works on MAC, just really slow.  I'm thinking I can use that to download all the DIM installer zips for my products, then copy the entire Install folder to an external drive and hook that up to my Windows 10 box.  After that I load DIM in offline mode and run all the installers putting them in their proper place.

Would this work? Do I also then need to re-import metadata and reset the db? Any ideas would be helpful.

Thanks! 

That should work, but with the exception of Beta software you can also download directly from the Product Library page and place those zips in the DIM Downloads folder.

Richard Haseltine said:

Geminii23 said:

Thanks! 

That should work, but with the exception of Beta software you can also download directly from the Product Library page and place those zips in the DIM Downloads folder.

I'm also thinking that I should uninstall DS and re-install through DIM.  What do you think?  After everything is installed, do I need to also reset the DB and re-import meta?

Geminii23 said:

Richard Haseltine said:

Geminii23 said:

Thanks! 

I'm also thinking that I should uninstall DS and re-install through DIM.  What do you think?  After everything is installed, do I need to also reset the DB and re-import meta?

Yes, I would uninstall the stand-alone installation of DS. Uninstalling should clear the database, but since it presumably has no custom data there's no reason not to do so as an initial step.

edited May 2021

I was able to install everything through DIM offline ... but sadly nothing works. DS just crashes whenever I try to load anything into a scene. Even just basic figure like Victoria 8.  I was able to get a prop to load but after a few minutes DS crashed again.  This is really disappointing.  I basically have now spent a lot of money on a very powerful machine that is useless to me.

I am really struggling to understand how no one else seems to be having problems with DAZ on Windows 10.  What am I missing here?

txt
    txt
    DS error log.txt
    Post edited by Geminii23 on