New User Contest - July 2014 (WIP thread)

Comments

• Kismet2012Kismet2012 Posts: 4,252
    edited July 2014

TobiasG said:
    The barn is looking good. What we can see from the outside looks a bit as if the barn was floating in the sky, but that's nothing a primitive plane won't help with, I guess.

It is a backdrop with a cloud background. It is supposed to be the loft but even from there you would probably see some ground in the area.

It is always the little details that can make or break a render.

Thanks Tobias. I'll see what I can do about changing that. :)

Post edited by Kismet2012 on
  • zmortiszmortis Posts: 98
    edited July 2014

Unauthorized Drama

A Daz 3D render using an earlier render (posted here earlier) as a TV program on the monitor. Just to give some ideas for creative use of materials. Since the soldier is being chewed out, I'm guessing that Viking Sagas are not considered approved viewing materials.

Unauthorised_Drama_3.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 973K
    Post edited by zmortis on
    edited December 1969

Barn Cat

Changed the backdrop.

Barn_Cat_31.jpg
    800 x 800 - 338K
    edited July 2014

Barn Cat

Changed the backdrop.

Definite improvement with the ground being visible outside the loft door. Though the shadows on the floor seem a bit confusing as their source is not readily evident.

Looking at it again, the light is acting to cast shadows from the "godrays" objects. You'll have to turn off the shadows for the "godrays" themselves (under the object scene parameters tab) to fix that I think. Find the bodies and rays sub object, and turn cast shadows to off.

Control_Settings.png
    734 x 917 - 323K
  • kreartenitkreartenit Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Here is my 1st attempt at being able to create something with Volumetric Lighting. Ive found it very hard to control the lighting, although I am creating everything the free way DAZ only. Ill call this one. Young Wizard Learning to Levitate. Any help would be appreciated.

Young_Wizard_1.jpg
    800 x 800 - 188K
  • TobiasGTobiasG Posts: 447
    edited December 1969

Barn Cat

Changed the backdrop.

I'd consider this finished. You can remove the shadows or leave them, either voice would be valid imo. Good job.

edited December 1969

Here is my 1st attempt at being able to create something with Volumetric Lighting. Ive found it very hard to control the lighting, although I am creating everything the free way DAZ only. Ill call this one. Young Wizard Learning to Levitate. Any help would be appreciated.

Pretty dark, at least on my monitor. You might consider putting something in there - some sort of scene, or background... There's not much there yet :)

edited December 1969

TobiasG said:
    Barn Cat

Changed the backdrop.

I'd consider this finished. You can remove the shadows or leave them, either voice would be valid imo. Good job.

If leaving the shadows in place, then I would recommend a fair amount of softness be applied. Cloud/floating dust shadows would not be anywhere near that sharp.

edited July 2014

Purgatory Saloon

Another Daz 3D render with no postwork.

"A devil comes calling at the Purgatory 'Bad Choices' Saloon. It's a place where people with good intent end up after doing what they thought was a good idea at the time."

This is using volumetric cameras and a lot of different colored lights to achieve this surreal lighting effect. I'm not 100% with the actual image composition (several different tweaks I'd want to try), but I do think it is interesting and eclectic.

Purgatory_Saloon_2.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 1M
    edited December 1969

zmortis said:
    TobiasG said:
    Barn Cat

Changed the backdrop.

If leaving the shadows in place, then I would recommend a fair amount of softness be applied. Cloud/floating dust shadows would not be anywhere near that sharp.

Point taken.

edited December 1969

TobiasG said:
    zmortis said:
    TobiasG said:
    Barn Cat

Changed the backdrop.

Point taken.

The shadows are created by having the distant light going through the leaves on a tree outside the barn.

Funny you mentioned about softening the shadows because that thought just occurred to me. Maybe someday I will remember to apply all these little details. %-P

• kreartenitkreartenit Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

2nd attempt. I added two trees and blue to the background and played with density. Ive been working for days with many hours spent trying to make the volumetric lighting work. Its not easy. Im about to open up my wallet and buy another product.

Young_Wizard_.01_2tree_scale_205_.4_.jpg
    800 x 800 - 328K
  • frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,397
    edited December 1969

2nd attempt. I added two trees and blue to the background and played with density. Ive been working for days with many hours spent trying to make the volumetric lighting work. Its not easy. Im about to open up my wallet and buy another product.

Pretty good. I can't think of anything off hand to say needs fixed about it.

edited December 1969

The shadows are created by having the distant light going through the leaves on a tree outside the barn.

Funny you mentioned about softening the shadows because that thought just occurred to me. Maybe someday I will remember to apply all these little details. %-P

I wasn't sure of the source (so I was guessing the godrays object), so if it is leaves, then less softening would be necessary. Of course these little tweaks all take a bit more time and effort. I don't know how many times I think I've got a render where I like it, only to spot another detail I should adjust, hehe.

edited December 1969

A definite improvement over the first edition. It is coming along nicely.

edited December 1969

Temple of the Tiger Monks

A Daz Studio 4.6 render with no post work. A scene using characters from my novel series. The main reason I'm learning Daz 3D is to produce images which complement my novel writing for my web site use.

Temple_of_the_Tiger_Monks_9.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 1M
    edited December 1969

zmortis said:

I wasn't sure of the source (so I was guessing the godrays object), so if it is leaves, then less softening would be necessary. Of course these little tweaks all take a bit more time and effort. I don't know how many times I think I've got a render where I like it, only to spot another detail I should adjust, hehe.

Tell me about it. I need to listen to my subconscious more. My eyes kept getting drawn to those shadows. I should have realized my subconscious was trying to tell me they were wrong.

That's why when I post a render I ask for anyone to point out things that do not look right.

I have been working on those shadows all afternoon. Will hopefully have a revised version to post soon.

edited December 1969

2nd attempt. I added two trees and blue to the background and played with density. Ive been working for days with many hours spent trying to make the volumetric lighting work. Its not easy. I'm about to open up my wallet and buy another product.

This looks much better.

edited December 1969

Title: Barn Cat

Okay. Here is the latest version with the adjusted shadows.

Thanks everyone for your input. It really helps.

Barn_Cat_34.jpg
    800 x 800 - 334K
    edited December 1969

That is pretty good

edited December 1969

Title: Barn Cat

Okay. Here is the latest version with the adjusted shadows.

Thanks everyone for your input. It really helps.

Very nice. Good work.

edited December 1969

Frank0314 said:
    That is pretty good

Agreed.

• Scott LivingstonScott Livingston Posts: 4,331
    edited December 1969

halfmast88: looking really good, especially the volume effect! I do think the image would benefit from using higher quality render settings to cut down on the graininess. Aside from that, the lighting looks good but the shadow is very sharp...increasing the shadow softness setting might help (select your light, the one that's casting that sharp shadow on the wall, and go to the Parameters pane to find the shadow softness dial).

edited July 2014

zmortis said:
    Purgatory Saloon

"A devil comes calling at the Purgatory 'Bad Choices' Saloon. It's a place where people with good intent end up after doing what they thought was a good idea at the time."

This is using volumetric cameras and a lot of different colored lights to achieve this surreal lighting effect. I'm not 100% with the actual image composition (several different tweaks I'd want to try), but I do think it is interesting and eclectic.

Very interesting! If you want to experiment with the composition, you might try moving the camera so that the "devil" is more in the foreground...maybe make him a larger, looming presence. The lighting is good but I might tone down the yellow a little.

Overall you have a really nice collection of renders here.

Post edited by Scott Livingston on
    edited December 1969

Reminder to everyone: the contest closes tomorrow. If you have not yet done so, please post your final entries to the Entries Thread by the end of the day (11:59 PM DAZ time) tomorrow, July 31.

Please be sure to include the title of the image, and list any software you used in the creation of your image.

edited July 2014

zmortis said:
    Purgatory Saloon

Very interesting! If you want to experiment with the composition, you might try moving the camera so that the "devil" is more in the foreground...maybe make him a larger, looming presence. The lighting is good but I might tone down the yellow a little.

Overall you have a really nice collection of renders here.

I will definitely experiment some more with this one as time allows. I'm using a green "direct light" for sunlight, a yellow ambient "bounce" , a yellow spotlight, and two red spot lights in this particular image. I'm also over saturating the colors a little bit using the Volumetric Color Camera settings. As you may have noticed the "devil" is actually a repurposed Daz 3 Dragon in a bipedal pose with the Witherdreki model in use. Overall I would "tone down" the overall image in terms of color saturation and volumetric effects a notch, and possibly even do a composite render set using a sepia tone color camera, and keeping the "devil" super saturated then opacity blending the two images together with some post work. I've done this on one of my "Not Safe for Work" images, and I like the overall "pop" effect it generates on the featured character in the image. Positionally I would move the grouping to where the devil is in the center of the image (still coming through the door and the other people are on either side. I may even put a few more people in the image to make the saloon more crowded, but more high definition models means longer rendering time.

Thank you for the complement on the Renders. I really only got started with Daz Studio and 3D art in general just this past March 2014. I've been learning from other people's work where I can, and any constructive feedback is welcome. I generally know what look I want to achieve with a set-up, and usually tweak and adjust until I am to the point I'm mostly satified with a final result. I'm sure others can do much more with the tool set than I can so far, but I'm having fun putting together work that satifies my particular tastes and needs of the moment. A lot of my stuff so far is just playing around with all the assets I've picked up (mostly the Genesis 2 models and items), and seeing what can be done with them.

I'm coming to learn that it is often how you compose and light a particular scene which determines its appeal for me. Having good models is important, but staging them well is important too. Since I'm only coming from a writing background (no formal training in the visual arts), I find that Daz Studio is a good tool for getting my ideas out into a nice looking visual image with a minimal learning curve.

edited December 1969

Purgatory "Bad Choices" Saloon

Created in Daz 3D with some light postwork in Gimp Shop.

Purgatory_Bad_Choices_Saloon_1.png
    1920 x 1080 - 2M
    edited December 1969

The contest is now closed.

edited December 1969

Good luck everyone. Great entries this month.

edited August 2014

Edit: Opps Scott already posted it

Post edited by frank0314 on