City Skydom Problem

There is a problem with this cities skydom as can be seen in the test renders attachedm 1st one is with the skydome hidden and 2nd one is with it unhidden, 3rd is screenshot from in DAZ. Anyone know why this is happening and how I can sort it? 

Comments

• Skydomes are generally for 3Delight, they block external light (distant linghts or HDRs) in Iray.

• Richard Haseltine said:

Skydomes are generally for 3Delight, they block external light (distant linghts or HDRs) in Iray.

Oh I see, they do not come oput great with 3Delight, look much better in Iray, half the road disspears too without the Skydome :( anyway to fix that?  

• Make some lights [mesh lights] inside the dome.

• Just noticed the photos are not with the first post for some reason 

City test 0.png
    1920 x 1080 - 4M
    City test 1.png
    1920 x 1080 - 821K
    Desktop Screenshot 2021.02.22 - 15.14.10.92.png
    2560 x 1440 - 662K
  • Just hide the Skydome (click the eye icon next to its entry in the Scene pane, or even just delete it). I'm not sure which city this is, but you might check to see if there is an Iray version too.

Just hide the Skydome (click the eye icon next to its entry in the Scene pane, or even just delete it). I'm not sure which city this is, but you might check to see if there is an Iray version too.

Its Dystopia City Blocks, without the skydome though part of the road disappears too for some reason :( 

• Ah. Is that the anciebnt original, or oen of the later add-ons? I have only the inital free set of four blocks, and I don't recall them having a dome.

You could use the Geoemtry Editor to remove the road bits from the dome; you could also, if the sky is a separate surface, apply the base colour map to the Luminosity Colour 9and set the value to white), then eadjust the temperature (something like 5,500K) and use the whole thing as an emitter to light the scene.

Ah. Is that the anciebnt original, or oen of the later add-ons? I have only the inital free set of four blocks, and I don't recall them having a dome.

You could use the Geoemtry Editor to remove the road bits from the dome; you could also, if the sky is a separate surface, apply the base colour map to the Luminosity Colour 9and set the value to white), then eadjust the temperature (something like 5,500K) and use the whole thing as an emitter to light the scene.

there any tutorials on how to do that? never used Geoemtry Editor before  

• If the dome is a surface group it should be pretty simple.

1. Select the figure/prop with the dome
    2. Tools>Geometry Editor
    3. Window>Panes(Tabs)>Tool Settings
    4. In the Tool Settinsg pane find the group (under groups or surfaces) with the doem and try hiding it using the eye - does that leave the road etc. this time? If soclick the + next to it to select it
    5. if the group/surface selection didn't work to isolate the dome, click on it with the tool in the Viewport, then hold down ctrl (cmd for the mac) and press * - with luck that will select the dome and nothign else
    6. assuming one of those worked, right-click in the Viewport>Geoemtry Editing>Deleet Selected
  • IceCrMnIceCrMn Posts: 2,114

Are you sure that's not the default ground from the iray render engine clipping through the street?

Go to "Render Settings" pane and select Environment.Scroll all the way down and check to see.The "Draw Ground" toggle should be "Off" if your scene has a ground already.You may have to set this yourself as I don't think many products fiddle with this setting and leave it to the users to adjust accordingly.

• IceCrMn said:

Are you sure that's not the default ground from the iray render engine clipping through the street?

Go to "Render Settings" pane and select Environment.Scroll all the way down and check to see.The "Draw Ground" toggle should be "Off" if your scene has a ground already.You may have to set this yourself as I don't think many products fiddle with this setting and leave it to the users to adjust accordingly.

done, set it to off as it was on 

If the dome is a surface group it should be pretty simple.

1. Select the figure/prop with the dome
    2. Tools>Geometry Editor
    3. Window>Panes(Tabs)>Tool Settings
    4. In the Tool Settinsg pane find the group (under groups or surfaces) with the doem and try hiding it using the eye - does that leave the road etc. this time? If soclick the + next to it to select it
    5. if the group/surface selection didn't work to isolate the dome, click on it with the tool in the Viewport, then hold down ctrl (cmd for the mac) and press * - with luck that will select the dome and nothign else
    6. assuming one of those worked, right-click in the Viewport>Geoemtry Editing>Deleet Selected

tried it and deleted sky but still not working as the dome is there stil land when you hide it that hap in the road appears  

Desktop Screenshot 2021.03.01 - 21.20.04.88.png
    2560 x 1440 - 455K
    Desktop Screenshot 2021.03.01 - 21.20.26.42.png
    2560 x 1440 - 617K
    Desktop Screenshot 2021.03.01 - 21.20.31.74.png
    2560 x 1440 - 602K
  • That's a space between the Dystopia city blocks. If you move them so that they're closer together then that empty space won't be there.

• zombietaggerung said:

That's a space between the Dystopia city blocks. If you move them so that they're closer together then that empty space won't be there.

Oh I see, there is no way to keep a larger space to make it 3 lanes no?  

• zombietaggerungzombietaggerung Posts: 3,648
    edited March 2021

oconnordavid16 said:

zombietaggerung said:

That's a space between the Dystopia city blocks. If you move them so that they're closer together then that empty space won't be there.

You could try using a cube primitive squished down to match the thickness of the base of the blocks and then copy the textures onto it. Or perhaps a plane primitive if the base of the blocks is only one poly thick.

Post edited by zombietaggerung on
  • zombietaggerung said:

oconnordavid16 said:

zombietaggerung said:

You could try using a cube primitive squished down to match the thickness of the base of the blocks and then copy the textures onto it. Or perhaps a plane primitive if the base of the blocks is only one poly thick.

This sounds confusing, maybe I should just make it be 2 lanes it be much easier, wonder if the cars are to scale for the city  

• oconnordavid16 said:

zombietaggerung said:

oconnordavid16 said:

zombietaggerung said:

This sounds confusing, maybe I should just make it be 2 lanes it be much easier, wonder if the cars are to scale for the city  

What part is confusing? Perhaps I can explain it in a less confusing way, if you tell what you don't understand.

• zombietaggerung said:

oconnordavid16 said:

zombietaggerung said:

oconnordavid16 said:

zombietaggerung said:

What part is confusing? Perhaps I can explain it in a less confusing way, if you tell what you don't understand.

I'm still quite new to DAZ and  all that (cube primitive squished down to match the thickness of the base of the blocks and then copy the textures onto it) sounds confusing to me as ive no clue how to do it