SereneNight’s Sci-Fi Fun Thread 3

Comments

• vwranglervwrangler Posts: 4,811

Leonard almost looks like he could be Owen's extraordinarily buff older brother. I don't remember; does he have one of those?

• Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,558
    edited February 2021

Owen's mom had him in high school. For some inexplicable reason she refuses to divulge who the dad was. Although there was certainly a lot of pressure to do so.  Moira had difficulty in school, being in foster care, and having no genetic implants, she was a friendless outcast, and possesses her father's genius but her mother's mental instability. 

It is possible Moira has more kids by now, but they likely would be sort of extremist like their mom. Or perhaps Moira gives that all up and fades into normalacy.  

I am not sure why Moira hid the identiy of Owen's father from him. Probably she did it to hurt the father since that is how she rolls. Or perhaps there is some mystery there.

It is easy enough to find out with a gene test, but Owen never does. He considers Silas his father, and doesn't want that to change as a child. Then as he gets older, it seems to not matter so much because of the war.

Moira is sort of a thorn in Owen's side throughout his life. She shows up on background checks until he gets enough clearence, the government finally scrubs his records. 

I've toyed with various scenarios of who Owen's father is. Even to having him be one of the Goodby family.  Hence, why she might be ashamed to tell her father. Moira loves her father, even though he has justifiably disowned her for her terrorist actions, and human-supremecist leanings.

Though if something could be gained by exposing the father to embarrassment and even grift Moira would have done it. But the fact she didn't indicates maybe she is protecting Owen or her Dad?

Post edited by Serene Night on

If you have trouble with your g8 eyebrows conforming to G8.1 you can conform the brows to M8.1's eyebrows and make M8.1 brows invisible. You can then adjust the morphs the M8.1 brows are using and tug the Gen8 brows around that way.

So, having troubles with 4.15 build.

It isn't saving lights. I will save a scene with lights, load it up, and its using the default HDRI. 

It also doesn't save autofits for clothing. 

• vwranglervwrangler Posts: 4,811

Still haven't done any autofits in 4.15, but I haven't had that lights problem at all. Is it saving the environment and tonemapper settings with the scene? (Those two new things that now appear in the scene tab. They're necessary for Filament, but Daz decided to use them to save that information with scenes whether or not you're using Filament.)

edited February 2021

4.15 seems glitchy to me and well no support for problems and things that don't work.

I think this is basically my line in the sand. 

I am not upgrading my gpu drivers or studio any longer. I can't render Owen and Boyd in the same scene any longer with 4.15. So I guess I'm going stick with genesis 8, and not buy more 8.1  

I just got this Computer last year and can't afford the upgrade cycle daz studio and nvidia and iray is pushing. I really can't. 

I will probably buy one more computer before I retire in a few years, and that may be the level of rendering I am capable of.

So for now I am going back to 4.11  I am only sorry I upgraded my video drivers for 4.15.  I am going to see if I can find the older drivers.

I also have to be careful buying products using scripts. Pas aren't making them compatible with early studio.

Overall I will carry on as before I think.

edited February 2021

Okay so here we have Sci-Fi Starship Pilot and  Texture, with two of the  expansion textures, and without the armor, just to show the flight suit.

I like the look of this set. There is a definite 70's Star Wars quality to the set, but the textures are quite nicely made, showing some color depth and gradation which I like. 

Here you can see the suit without armor for those looking for just a plain flight suit.

Bobafet.jpg
    1400 x 1600 - 1M
    Bobafet2.jpg
    1400 x 1600 - 1M
    Bobafet4.jpg
    1400 x 1600 - 1M
  • HylasHylas Posts: 4,767

Serene Night said:

New HDRI Fvtvris HDRI. (Yeah, don't ask me how that's pronounced). it seems to have undergone a name change, since it is Futuris in the preset section.

I've been lookign at the various SciFi HDRI sets by JDA HDRI - Fvtvris, Prometheus, what have you.

They all look really good but what I find frustrating is that each set appears to feature several HDRIs that are very similar.

If they were to release one single set that features a good variety of HDRIs and make each one distinctive... I'd be all over that in a heartbeat.

The JDA sets are a good buy. I almost always get interesting dramatic lighting. The only thing  annoying about them is the cameras. But if you get the JDA set Winter Scenary, the camera works really well with the others in the whole series.

edited February 2021

So the store search... I search for Leather Couch and it pulls up the https://www.daz3d.com/age-of-bullwarg-hd ; and the https://www.daz3d.com/medusa-bundle. LOL

Oh that is very nice! I wish all Medusa's could be as detailed!

edited February 2021

Bitsty photobombs Owen's picture, while Owen is watching something Boyd is doing off scene.

28.jpg
    1400 x 1600 - 2M
    edited March 2021

Okay, so here is https://www.daz3d.com/Child-Antoine-and-1970s-Outfit-for-Genesis-8-Male

And since I do confess to buying him to get the bell bottoms, I will show those here as well.

The bell bottoms definitely look better on Antoine than they do on Boyd. I do really like the shirt, as it reminds me of those old Ocean Pacific Shirts popular in the 70's. Antoine comes with his own Afro-style hair in two styles, shirt, jeans, belt and shoes. There are at least a couple mat zones for everything, but not enough zones to say...Recolor the soles of the platforms. 

Antoine himself is a cute kid and fills a much needed nitch for a black tween.

1970S.jpg
    1400 x 1600 - 1M
    1970S35.jpg
    1400 x 1600 - 599K
    edited March 2021

It's date night and Owen and Boyd hit the streets for some regular together time!

1.jpg
    1400 x 1600 - 2M
  • GordigGordig Posts: 9,114

Serene Night said:

The bell bottoms definitely look better on Antoine than they do on Boyd.

Yeah, they look like jodhpurs on Boyd.

Yeah it doesn't work for muscular guys which is too bad. I have a story line where Owen is trapped in a reality that is stuck in the 70's.

• carrie58carrie58 Posts: 3,951

Can you dial the muscle morphs out of the pants?

edited March 2021

Here I removed some of his muscles and applied dForce. The drape looks better, but the fit is still a bit odd.

Dforce.jpg
    1400 x 1600 - 674K
    edited March 2021

New Male Couple's pose set for Genesis 8.1: Significant Other Couples Poses

I like the set. You get 10 couples poses for G8.1

Interestingly, the set uses the G8.1 pose directory.

haunted.jpg
    1400 x 1600 - 2M

I was about to recommend someone your free pose sets and saw that your Renderosity account doesn´t exist anymore? What happened?

I closed my Renderosity account last month for personal reasons. If I decide to make more pose sets, I'll post them in this thread or perhaps on my DeviantArt account. 

Oh man, hope you didn´t experience anything too discouraging! heart

edited March 2021

Hylas said:

Oh man, hope you didn´t experience anything too discouraging! heart

Aww thanks. I may join Rendo again, but only to buy outfits sold elsewhere. For now  my wallet is most happy I only have to worry about bills from DAZ Store.

edited March 2021

Next up on the Women's clothing that looks good on males we tried Aeon Soul's new short and racer-back t-shirt for G8.1/G81F Zero One: Everyday for Genesis 8 Females https://www.daz3d.com/zero-one-everyday-for-genesis-8-females

This is a female outfit, so I was expecting to have to use Fit Control to get it to work on Owen, but shockingly, Autofit worked perfectly. There are two shorts included, one stand alone, and one with lots of movement morphs. The shorts with morphs have lots of included style options, so it was easy enough to pull them down from the high-waisted hotpants female style that is looks like initially. There are 2 texture expansions with this,.

My suggestion, is to dial in the bulge, at a little smoothing and shrink them to 99 percent for a more sexy fit.

ZEROONE.jpg
    1400 x 1600 - 1011K
    edited March 2021

Owen and Boyd share a quiet moment, with Bitty.  I am always trying to get a different angle with the camera, to make a compositionally interesting piece.

33.jpg
    1800 x 1400 - 2M
    edited March 2021

In one of today's deals is https://www.daz3d.com/vyk-fertility-goddess--shaders-for-genesis-8-female

This is great for making your own human statues, whether male or female.

statue.jpg
    700 x 800 - 361K
  • DaventakiDaventaki Posts: 1,621

Thanks! I picked it up, completely missed it this morning!!

edited March 2021

https://www.daz3d.com/rattan-iray-shaders

These shaders are really cool. And you can shade anything up, even poor Owen here.

Strange.jpg
    1400 x 1600 - 2M
    edited March 2021

I bought some cheap things this week. 

First up was https://www.daz3d.com/predator-sports-car

This is not iray of course, but it has tons of mat zones. It was only a couple of bucks, but I am very sad, since it doesn't seem to have a full set of windows. If anyone has it, and knows how to make the windows visible, I'd appreciate you telling me.

Predator.jpg
    1800 x 1400 - 2M